Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-08-2020, 10:24 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Georgia Pacific 110lb Card Stock Question

I really have good luck using Georgia Pacific’s 110 lb card stock for intricate die cutting, running through my printer to print messages for inside cards, and using with my paper punches. It’s not as heavy as other 110 lb card like Neenah Solar White and Gina K., and seems almost exactly like SU’s Whisper White. Best of all, I buy it at Wal-Mart for about $6.00 for 150 sheets - super cheap!

Unfortunately, I can’t find any at my local Wal-Marts, even though they say it is in stock in the stores when I go online. It is sold in-store only. Store employees, when I can find one, just tell me their inventory must be off if there isn’t any in the office paper aisle. I’ve been looking for over a month now.
I’ve also checked Amazon, and it is out of stock/unavailable there too.

So, does anybody know if it has been discontinued? Also, what would be an acceptable substitute?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2020, 02:13 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Is this it? I don’t know if the price is good or bad, though have heard good things about the paper.

The seller has 100% good ratings. Georgia-Pacific 994803 Card Stock for sale online | eBay

And here it is with three other listings:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop...rt=nc&_fosrp=1

Maybe the difficulty buying it in retail shops has to do with manufacturing being affected by the coronavirus?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2020, 04:04 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to buy the Georgia Pacific brand too but I believe Wal-Mart has discounted carrying it and have replaced it with the Pen And Gear brand. Pen And Gear is Wal-Marts own store brand. It’s the same weight, the same price and the cellophane wrapper is almost identical. I can’t tell the difference between the two and am happy to have found a substitute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2020, 03:26 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Something else that you might want to try is the Staples 110 lb. cardstock. I like it and use it for almost everything. It's not as heavy as some of the other 110 lb. cardstocks, but I like using it for layers. Sometimes I use it for bases, if I have a card that has some intricate folds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2020, 05:20 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Several years ago I bought some Staples 110lb card stock that looked good at the time and I cut, scored and folded a bunch into cardnfronts to have on hand. Over time, the color took on a slight pink tinge, it did not stay pure white. Improvements may have been made since then but I would stick with Georgia Pacific.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2020, 07:07 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for your responses, everyone! Splitcoast is such a great resource. I am especially excited to hear about the Pen and Gear option. Almost makes me wonder if it’s the same Georgia Pacific just packaged differently for Wal-Mart? I will buy some today and try that first. I have cards I’ve kept as samples made with the GP that were made ten years ago and I see no noticeable aging or degrading of the card stock, so I’m hoping the Pen and Gear is of similar quality. And like I mentioned before, the price is fantastic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2020, 02:22 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

There was a similar question about GP Cardstock a couple of weeks before Covid. I was able to research and test before the quarantine. Yes, Pen&Gear is Georgia Pacific. I live in WalMart & GP country. WalMart uses GP as a manufacturer for their In House brand. It is the same cardstock, same price, just slightly different packaging.

I did read somewhere else that Amazon has a similar cardstock that is similar to GP Cardstock and in the same price range. I don't know anything about the cardstock. I just mentioned this for those who might know & can weigh in. I know some of us are avoiding WalMart right now and shopping at Amazon Prime.

Side Note- Wow, I did not know how hard it was to avoid WalMart. That's been a learning curve. I guess it's because I am in WalMart country that everything is just so hard to order online that was a normal purchase at WalMart.

You can order Pen&Gear cardstock when you do a pickup for WalMart groceries. It's listed as an item they will get for you. I checked this just in case I needed to buy some more.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by lylacfey; 07-11-2020 at 02:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2020, 07:23 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

At one time I also used GP and switched to Staples 110. Which did not discolour for me. I have a ream from 3 years ago. Perhaps it’s where the paper was stored.

I have also used Su but more expensive Than the two mentioned.
I use Michael’s heavy 110 for boxes and tags and only occasionally for cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2020, 07:42 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I've had my Staples cardstock for several years too. None of it has faded or yellowed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try Ebay. I've seen it on there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2020, 08:34 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As mentioned in a previous post, its been replaced by another brand name. I think this actually isn't considered "coverstock" since the packaging on GP mentions index weight which is much lighter and why 110lb is different than other coverstock. Gsm weight is a better measure. If you like SU, a cheap alternative (but more expensive than GP) is Accent Opaque found on Amazon. Not sure if its within your budget, but it runs about $13-$15 for a ream of the 80lb or 100lb. This one is considered true coverstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the info on the Georgia Pacific/Pen and Gear. I have really been missing the GP and had recently been trying to find an alternative.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I found the same thing, so tried what Walmart seems to have instead: pen Plus Gear. I can't tell the difference & already bought a second package to be sure I don't run out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2020, 09:17 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Maple Leaf

Thank you for the info on GP now being Pen & Gear. I use it for a lot of different applications. I also use Recollections 110 lb. for my card bases. It has amazing weight to it. I also use SU whisper white. Great for pencil coloring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by antiquestamper
View Post

I really have good luck using Georgia Pacific’s 110 lb card stock for intricate die cutting, running through my printer to print messages for inside cards, and using with my paper punches. It’s not as heavy as other 110 lb card like Neenah Solar White and Gina K., and seems almost exactly like SU’s Whisper White. Best of all, I buy it at Wal-Mart for about $6.00 for 150 sheets - super cheap!

Unfortunately, I can’t find any at my local Wal-Marts, even though they say it is in stock in the stores when I go online. It is sold in-store only. Store employees, when I can find one, just tell me their inventory must be off if there isn’t any in the office paper aisle. I’ve been looking for over a month now.
I’ve also checked Amazon, and it is out of stock/unavailable there too.

So, does anybody know if it has been discontinued? Also, what would be an acceptable substitute?

Yes, I agree. For the price it is terrific card stock. I have not had any trouble at my Walmart where I purchase it also. I haven't bought any since the virus so that may be why you are having trouble getting it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2020, 06:46 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivify
View Post

. If you like SU, a cheap alternative (but more expensive than GP) is Accent Opaque found on Amazon. Not sure if its within your budget, but it runs about $13-$15 for a ream of the 80lb or 100lb. This one is considered true coverstock.

I too have tried the Accent Opaque and find it a great cardstock. It’s very white which is nice as well. I use their 120 lb for my card bases. It’s almost to thick but it doesn’t crack like other 120 lb I have tried (Cougar) and wow is it solid. It can handle anything you want to put on top of it. I got mine using Subscribe and Save from Amazon and saved a few $$.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

I agree with smower - the paper is amazing and it holds up nicely to watercoloring as well.

Another option to the GP paper - in a pinch, I've used the Hobby Lobby #110 white cardstock. It's a comparable alternative.

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2020, 11:59 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I use Walmarts 110# for my layering needs and recollections 110# for white card bases. I don't understand the index weight and gsm and never will but recollections is very good for bases. I use SU for the really good stuff since it's so expensive. But I'm not switching to thick whisper white when recollections works so well at about half the cost when I use a coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes