Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with cricut want/have a slice too?

Ok all-

Here's my question - I've been really good at not buying new products for a long time and I am on the fence with buying a slice as I already own a big shot and cricut expressions..Reasons I want a slice are the portability factor and the small size. I have SCAL for my cricut but its a pain to lug it out because its SO big and I have no place to use. I do use my cricut for some school projects as I am teacher, so that is good, BUT I was wondering pros/cons of a slice? It seems much more portable, and I can cut anywhere on the paper. I wouldn't be buying any font cartridges, but some are kinda neat.

Opinions??!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hockeyrabbit.....I don't have a Slice but have demoed it. It's a neat tool, but since I have the Cricut and Expression, I see no need for it.

The one thing I can say and tell the people I teach the machines to is that unless you keep the Cricut or Expression out and accessable, you will not use it. You need to find a home for the machine where it's comfortable for you to get at and use so you will use it on a regular basis.

People seem to keep these machines in a closet, up on a shelf, or otherwise out of reach. Therefore don't use it and many say they don't like it for that reason. Put the machine where you can get to it easy with out any fuss or muss and you'll find a use for it on nearly everything you create.

By the way......you can cut on small sizes of paper or anywhere on a sheet of paper with the Cricut or the Expression. Just use the directional buttons around the Cut button.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I have both and would never think of getting rid of either. I like how they each have different cartridges and features. I use both equally at home but love taking my slice to crops.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

I have both as well and love them! I had the cicut first and kept seeing videos of the slice. The more i watched, the more i realized i had to have it. My hubby bought it for xmas last year and i would never get rid of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I have both and use them both. The Slice is nice for portability and quickie stuff. I would love to upgrade the Cricut to the Expressions too!

CYndi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I have both and have used the slice twice. I much prefer the cricut cartridges. I scrap and make cards and bought the slice thinking I would use it more for shapes for cards rather than buying punches and nestabilities. Don't tend to use the cricut just to cut an oval or something along that lines. Seriously considering selling mine as I am doing a major clean out and anything I am not using is going. I also really don't like the fact that I need to spread the adhesive and wait two minutes for it to be ready to cut on. Good luck with your decision.
Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had a Cricut with 36 cartridges..sold the whole shebang and got a slice...dont regret it a bit.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I'm a cutter freak and have just about every type there is, and I love my Slice. Making Memories has the best image designers, IMO. If Provo Craft (Cricut) would put out carts with designs like MM, and not so much of the childish (and I do mean childish, not childlike) images & themes, I might do without the Slice.

Also, MM doesn't jerk customers around with a zillion "exclusive" cartridges that can only be obtained by purchasing yet another Cricut Expression in yet another color. It's only because I couldn't get my hands on Cricut's Pink Journey cart that I even ventured into Slice territory (to get their Think Pink card). Slice also has 2 travel cards, which got me through the Cricut Destinations cart vacuum. Once I saw what Slice had to offer in the way of designs, not to mention the handy little machine and storage, I jumped in with both feet. Now I compare Slice designs to Cricut cart designs before deciding whether I "need" the latest Cricut cart.

Had Cricut let anyone buy the Pink Journey cart, I never would have been tempted by/introduced to the Slice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I had the Cricut and cartridges. Sold them all. Turned around and bought my Pink Slice and I have seven Slice Design Cards (MS cards as well) Never looked back. The Slice is right beside me on my crafting table and doesn't take up a lot of room. Especially for the space I have. The adhesive you spray on the glass mat doesn't take long at all. And the adhesive last long too. The Spray adhesive that MM carries will last a long time. Don't have to worry about buying mats all the time like you do with the Cricut. I don't have to mess around with a lot of buttons either with the slice like you have to with the Cricut to get sizes and having to worry where to put your blade to save on your paper like you have to do with the Cricut. I love the size of the portability in the Slice tote. Love the storage for my Design Cards for the slice as well, this zip around storage Design Card holder slides right into the side of my Slice tote. You can also use the slice without having it plugged in too. The charge last up to 90 minutes with having it plugged in the wall, makes it nice and easy if you are without power and are in a middle of a project. Love my Pink Slice and wouldn't go to anything else. Plus the price is right and so are the Prices on the Slice Design Cards. It also cuts fabric too and also vellum and other stuff. Love the design cards for the slice... they aren't childish like a lot of the Cricut ones... And the price of a Cricut cartridge, you could buy two Slice design Cards. Love that.
Just my .25� worth in my IMO.
arubberstamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

The hands free kit will be available I believe in March..I am so excited about that.
blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I bought the Cricut about a year ago, and just got a Slice this past month. When I bought the Slice I was debating on selling the Cricut. These are my reasons that I am keeping both:

Cricut:
Pro: Great for large items
Pro: Paper piecing done with using SCAL
Con: Not portable for crops
Con: Cartridges expensive
Con: I seem to go through mats quickly

Slice:
Pro: Design cards rather cheap (got one for 17.00 including shipping on ebay)
Pro: Portable size and rechargeable (I take it to crops. It's great since I have a weight limit on what I can lift)
Pro: Quick, easy, fast for a small shape/letter/etc.
Pro: Can re-apply the glue on glass (no buying mats)
Con: Only does small shapes
Con: Long wording has to be cut one letter at a time (unless word itself is on the design card

I actually cut out 'Cake Decorating 101' last night for a scrapbook page and it would have been quicker on the Cricut. But the Slice sits right next to me not taking up space. The Cricut is on the end of the counter, and right now not positioned in a comfortable working area. Maybe I'll get back to using it more when I get my room finished.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

About going through Cricut mats, you don't have to buy a new mat just because the sticky is gone.
  • Remove all sticky residue with GooGone, Crafter's Companion Stick Away Spray, or something similar.
  • Wash with dishsoap and dry thoroughly.
  • Tape off the edges.
  • Spray with Krylon Easy-Tack Repositionable Adhesive, quilter's spray, Crafter's Companion Stick & SprayTemporary Adhesive, or use a Zig 2-way pen, or use some other adhesive that dries with a temporary hold. I apply the adhesive in 2 light coats, one horizontal and one vertical.
  • Let the adhesive dry thoroughly after applying the second coat. I leave the mats to dry overnight.
  • If the mat is too sticky, press a clean t-shirt down a time or two to remove some stickiness.

I've used the same two mats for over a year.
Reply With Quote Likes