Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   I need Big Shot Pro help! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/i-need-big-shot-pro-help-547353/)

jkstampin 01-30-2012 11:40 AM

I need Big Shot Pro help!

I was so excited to get the big shot pro so I could have one machine to cut everything. However, I finally got a chance to try it out this past weekend and got so frustrated, I am ready to get rid of it! Before I do something so rash though, I thought I'd come here for some help:)

My frustration came with trying to use nesties and embossing folders with the big shot pro. I researched the sandwiches needed and purchased all the special thin die stuff. However, when I try to get the sandwich through the big shot, it is very very hard! The machine wants to just grab the top cutting plate and leave the rest behind. I have to push hard on the tray while trying to crank at the same time to get it through. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any tips? I really really want to love this machine, but need it to work more easily with the nesties!

TheOtherMeg 01-30-2012 01:43 PM

I haven't had this problem, but there can be slight variables in pressure amongst manual diecutting machines. I've read a number of posts where one person said a die wouldn't fit through her CB/BS/BK and someone else with the same machine came in and said it worked fine in her same machine.

I usually do "assist" the tray through my BSP, and sometimes I hold the sandwich in place so it won't separate/shift.

There should be some resistance when you crank the sandwich through. That's normal. If the rollers are grabbing the top layer and not the rest of the sandwich, try leaving less of a lip (less hangover) when stacking the cutting plate/crease pad on top. I know the directions say to leave some hangover (let the cutting/crease pad go through first), but too much does lead to what you're describing.

You can also try making the sandwich less thick, but then you risk the die not cutting through your paper.

As long as you're getting the sandwich through without excessive force and/or truly horrible noises, it's probably not too thick.

jkstampin 01-30-2012 02:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Meg - I did play around with the sandwiches thinking they were too thick, but wasn't able to make a difference and still have pressure. Once I get it through it seems to work fine, so I think the sandwich is right. However, I missed the part about leaving some hangover, I wasn't leaving any, so maybe that is my problem! I'll try leaving a little hangover tonight!

Another question for you - when you are using the thin smaller dies, do you use the smaller cutting pads like you do in the regular big shot? That's what I have been doing.

TheOtherMeg 01-30-2012 07:53 PM

I tend to pull out my Grand Calibur for the thin dies, so I haven't tried them in the BSP yet (though I have the thin die adapter set just in case!).

That said, I would use the small cutting plates with my BSP if possible simply because they're less expensive to replace (and they will need to be replaced eventually). I don't see why they wouldn't work just fine. I've used regular BS/BK stuff with my BSP when cutting a die shape in the center of 12x12 paper. I only needed the sandwich in the center of the 12x12, where I was cutting the shape, so no need for the larger (and more expensive) cutting plate.

This was using the thick Sizzix Originals dies, but I imagine it'd work the same for the thin dies as long as the sandwich is correct. You really only need pressure where you want to cut.

jkstampin 01-31-2012 08:51 AM

Thanks again Meg - I worked with it a little more last night, but still having problems. I'll have to try it with some regular sizzix dies and see if those sandwiches work better.

TheOtherMeg 01-31-2012 12:08 PM

Well, shoot, I'm sorry about that. :(

Don't hesitate to call Sizzix customer service. They have always been wonderful whenever I've called/emailed.

Customer Service Hours

6:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific Time,
Monday through Friday

By Phone
877.355.4766 (Toll Free in the USA)