Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   I murdered my paper trimmer. Need another. Some help? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/i-murdered-my-paper-trimmer-need-another-some-help-591946/)

salome000 09-12-2014 07:55 AM

I murdered my paper trimmer. Need another. Some help?

Ok. I love(d) my fiskars because, and ONLY because, of the wire. Now, I'm replacing blades every 2 weeks or less, and I've had to replace it twice in 4 months because the wire keeps fraying.

I don't have to cut a lot of paper at once. I don't like guillotines. I DO need something that will show me EXACTLY where I'm cutting and that will cut the small measurements, like the fiskars.

Heck...I guess I need everything the fiskars has but isn't a fiskars! Please help me!!!

klh54 09-12-2014 09:11 AM

When's the trial and funeral? Hahaha!! Welcome to the Cutter Blues! Everyone who owns a Genesis swears by them...if you have the $$$ then they are a sure bet. Outside of that there's the usual suspects. Some love the Cutterpillar Pro (I had it and did not like it, although the edge light was awesome!) Some love the Fiskars rotary cutter and others love the new SU! cutter with rotary option.
Others have mentioned the Xacto cutter from Staples or Office Depot, I think.

Let me know what you find. I am using my Tonic Guillotine cutter almost exclusively after having many issues with the one you murdered!
hahaha

klh54 09-12-2014 09:27 AM

Some links Genesis

CutterPillar.com

salome000 09-12-2014 10:01 AM

HAHA! There was a mistrial...apparently, they couldn't find jurors who were unbiased, most of whom had had the same issues with the *&*% thing!!!! GRRRRRRRRR.

I'm at the point of not caring what the cost is. Seriously. I'm paying 25 bucks every couple months to replace this thing. That's over a hundred bucks-not to mention blades-a year, PLUS the aggravation!!!

I've never heard of the genesis but I'll take a look. I just need that laser/wire whatever, because it's the only thing that keeps my line straight!

dougnat 09-12-2014 10:22 AM

I have the cutterpilar and I don't like it..My fav is Dahle 507

salome000 09-12-2014 10:36 AM

The Dahle looks good...but can you SEE exactly where you're cutting? I can line stuff up with the fiskars wire and cut right there...can I do that with a Dahle?

dougnat 09-12-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salome000 (Post 20750362)
The Dahle looks good...but can you SEE exactly where you're cutting? I can line stuff up with the fiskars wire and cut right there...can I do that with a Dahle?

No not like you can with the fiskars...the plastic strip that holds the paper in place is somewhat see through, but nothing like the wire on the fiskars, but it does cut MUCH better and lasts a LONG time!

salome000 09-12-2014 11:04 AM

So, get this. I called Fiskars to complain, and they told me that this has been a nightmare. They said the wire had been fraying and dulling blades and ruining cardstock. They're sending me a new wire and 2 packs of new blades!!! Why haven't I heard of this! Because while the Fiskars and I have had this love/hate thing going on, I still needed it in my life. Now, I'm happy! But spread the word! Because I knew NOTHING about this!!!

buggainok 09-13-2014 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salome000 (Post 20750394)
So, get this. I called Fiskars to complain, and they told me that this has been a nightmare. They said the wire had been fraying and dulling blades and ruining cardstock. They're sending me a new wire and 2 packs of new blades!!! Why haven't I heard of this! Because while the Fiskars and I have had this love/hate thing going on, I still needed it in my life. Now, I'm happy! But spread the word! Because I knew NOTHING about this!!!

I saw another post about this same Fiskars trimmer, and she had wonderful service just like you. Evidently they've realized the wire was a problem and are making changes hopefully. In the meantime, glad they sent you some new wires!

Lesson to learn - always give customer service a call when you have a faulty product. Sometimes they will make it good.

Several years ago, I had a Making Memories Precision Trimmer that I loved, but the lines on the grid were wearing off. I contacted them, and they sent me a brand new trimmer, retail value $50, with no questions asked. They didn't even ask for a picture of my defective one, or ask me to send it back.

They corrected the grid line problem in future trimmers, too.

I'm still using it, and its my favorite trimmer of all I've had.

gingerd 09-14-2014 05:51 AM

Check out the Genesis too. I haven't purchased a trimmer since I bought the Genesis. I also haven't purchased blades either. So, yes, expensive, but oh so worth it and an exact cut each and every time.

Buried Treasures 09-14-2014 02:43 PM

I have the Fiskars with the rotary blade. Not bad for the price and I can get the blades with a coupon. But they last a long time.

christa-lee 09-14-2014 05:44 PM

I love my Fiskars. The guillotine ones scare the heck out of me, to be honest.

StampinMeCrazy 09-16-2014 07:43 AM

The wait list on the Genesis is so long, I bought a Fiskars ProCision ... I have been waiting over a year for an email on when the Genesis cutters would be ready. That's just not an option for most people to wait that long.

gingerd 09-16-2014 07:58 AM

Put your name on the waiting list. Then when they contact you decide if you want it or not.

stamphappy1650 09-16-2014 08:01 AM

One thing to keep in mind is do you want a paper cutter or a trimmer because IMHO it's about size and do you have a place to keep it. I just bought a Dahle 18e and it's wonderful but big. I cut large sheets of paper so I wanted the extra size but it's not what I use to make small cuts. For regular "trimming" I use my SU trimmer. It's light weight, the blades seem to last quite a while, makes straight cuts, and it's small and portable.

For once in my life I don't have a graveyard of trimmers. : )