Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   how would you buy copic markers? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/how-would-you-buy-copic-markers-428355/)

Bren3 03-26-2009 04:33 PM

how would you buy copic markers?

I like to find out how do you buy your copic markers? Did you buy them individually or did you buy them in a set? Which is better? I would like to buy them and when I searched the internet I've seen some places sell them in sets. Is that the best way to go to make sure you get a reasonable amount of colors? Or is it bets to buy them seperately? Like to hear your imput on this. Thanks

smokiesgal 03-26-2009 04:39 PM

I joined a Copic club at
http://sweetnsassystamps.biz/shop/

There are several other clubs out there too. GinaK Designs has one as well.

sewnmachine 03-26-2009 04:41 PM

Well, I don't own any Copics (I use the Bic Markits) but if you order online and only buy one at a time you'll have to pay shipping charges over and over and over. Buy a small set. Check out www/dickblick.com they have pretty reasonable prices.

smokiesgal 03-26-2009 04:43 PM

Also Hobby Lobby sells them if you have one near you. You can always use a 40% off coupon if you buy them individually.

Momofoneson 03-26-2009 04:55 PM

I bought two sets of caios from carpe diem store. C for pastels and D for dark colors.

diane617 03-26-2009 05:02 PM

Period Style sells a custom set in either 12, 36 or 72, whatever your budget can tolerate. You just email the list you want. If you don't mind waiting for backorders, mention that on the email and they'll send them when they come in. I've always had great service.

scrappingmelissa 03-26-2009 05:14 PM

i seem to be buying 6 a month, same color families. One day I will own them all.

OBX 03-26-2009 05:34 PM

I buy mine from www.oozak.com and they have free shipping on any order $50 or more

jackie1 03-26-2009 06:53 PM

When I first started getting my Copic's I ordered them three per color family in the same number range so that I could get good shading effects with them. Once I had all the color families I started filling in as I went, and just before the price increase I bought the rest of my Copic's so I now have all the Copic's. I looked at getting some of the sets but they didn't seem to have colors that were in the same color family and number ranges for the best shading effect. Once you start getting Copic's it can be hard to stop. Also make sure that you get a blender pen, it is more like an eraser but it is a must have to fix up mistakes.

mrslumpy 03-27-2009 01:44 AM

Hobby Looby puts them on sale quite a bit at 30% and 40% off...when you see the ad that says art markers...that includes the copic markers...they are in the "artist supplies" section on the fliers.

Joan B 03-27-2009 04:01 AM

if you are near an art supply or other store that sells them individually, I would recommend that approach, as you can select exactly what you want. The big thing about Copics (at least for me) is that you do NOT NEED 300 markers.

They don't have to match every shade of ink and cardstock and patterned paper.

The whole point of them is that they blend so well. Want a darker shade? Just go over it with the same color or add a light gray or maybe a light beige, depending on what you want. Experiment. I have about 25 - 30 and have almost all I need. (I have a few spots to fill in).

Jennifer R 03-27-2009 05:59 AM

I would definitely get them individually. I find I barely ever use the darker tones at all and a lot of the sets come with the darker shades.

Gatomom 03-27-2009 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackie1 (Post 13556778)
When I first started getting my Copic's I ordered them three per color family in the same number range so that I could get good shading effects with them. Once I had all the color families I started filling in as I went, and just before the price increase I bought the rest of my Copic's so I now have all the Copic's. I looked at getting some of the sets but they didn't seem to have colors that were in the same color family and number ranges for the best shading effect. Once you start getting Copic's it can be hard to stop. Also make sure that you get a blender pen, it is more like an eraser but it is a must have to fix up mistakes.

I just took a Copic class and now have a better understanding of the "families" and the number ranges so now I buy them in sets of 3 maybe once a month or so. I have an art store near me that sells them individually so it works out really well.

Paper Kissy 03-27-2009 07:10 AM

I vote for buying individually, get what you want when you want.

Erin

jeanstamping2 03-27-2009 09:31 AM

I buy mine at http://www.oozak.com/copic.php And have purchased them individually

This way I can get just the color's I want.

Starting soon http://clearandsimplestamps.com will be selling Copic markers too.

Bren3 03-27-2009 11:37 AM

thank you ladies for your input this helps alot.

I do have one more question. When you buy them individual do you tend to get them for instance...blue do you get them with the # sequence in a row? in other words B18, B21 & B24 or do you mix them up as long as the it's in the shaded blue family?

Vintagechick 03-27-2009 11:57 AM

Here's a good blog entry by Marianne, Queen of the Copics on just that subject. Her blog is a great source of information.

http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...-families.html

HTH!

CindyB

Bren3 03-27-2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintagechick (Post 13563265)
Here's a good blog entry by Marianne, Queen of the Copics on just that subject. Her blog is a great source of information.

http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...-families.html

HTH!

CindyB

thank you so much for this link, I just finished reading some of the things she on there and it's really useful! Now I know how I'm going to order my copic markers.

curias 03-29-2009 07:38 PM

I agree to go individually and yes, buy them in colour families a couple numbers apart. This makes blending a lot easier.

cuppymouse 03-29-2009 08:33 PM

The exception to the sets aren't a good idea rule, IMO, is the Dick Blick Manga Wallet set of 24. http://www.dickblick.com/products/copic-sketch-markers/

Marianne of Copic fame picked out the colors, and esp if you can shop in person (armed with a 40% coupon, which they have every now and then), it is a fab way to get started. Not sure about online deals, since the instore coupons are different and I have one near me, but I would check it out. I got mine this way ($99 special with 40% off) and for a per marker price, it's a great deal esp bc virtually all of the colors are useful. But in general, yes, I would purchase individually. Ever since HL prices went up, I feel you can do better online even with a coupon, but it's great to be able to test markers (even the more limited colors they have) in person. The Copic chatter thread has links to good starter colors and the "looks like" thread, too. Happy coloring! You will love your markers!!

Cynthia

cjzim 03-29-2009 09:17 PM

Also, Scor-Pal is now selling a couple sets of 36, picked by Marianne. I already had several of the colors in the set #1, so I went to dickblick on line and bought the remaining colors in that set individually - got the markers for 4.53 a piece using source code CCFR at checkout which enabled me to save $10 off my order - shipping was 5.95. Markers at Oozak are 4.87 with free shipping over $50, so depending on how many markers you are purchasing, you can do better, or at least as well at dickblick. I have purchased most of my Prismacolor pencils at DickBlick and have always had terrific service. Have heard good things about Oozak, too - just adding more info. to the discussion!

kelicat 04-03-2009 06:33 AM

Ok--ladies, I have a question to pose--I understand the difference between the Sketches and Ciaos--I've read up but I want to hear from the ladies who have used both.

What's your take? I thought the ciaos were the more economical way to go and if I have to have a certain color, I'll just buy the sketch and have a mix & match set. Any suggestions before I buy my markers?

Bren3 04-03-2009 09:44 AM

Can't wait to get home from work to try out my new copic markers that just arrived!!!! Thank you ladies for all your helpful input.

pricecheck 04-03-2009 01:29 PM

I have the Ciao Copics and I'm satisfied with them. I'm no artist so they are just fine for my needs.

RiverIsis 04-03-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelicat (Post 13632891)
Ok--ladies, I have a question to pose--I understand the difference between the Sketches and Ciaos--I've read up but I want to hear from the ladies who have used both.

What's your take? I thought the ciaos were the more economical way to go and if I have to have a certain color, I'll just buy the sketch and have a mix & match set. Any suggestions before I buy my markers?

I absolutely admit that I bought sets because that is what works for me.

And I am still of the belief as a hobbiest that Ciaos are what works for me - if you are game to refilling - also if I found I was refilling a marker every couple of weeks I would probably order a second one in a sketch just to have the extra available mid product and to have the extra capacity within the barrel which I think is 1cc of ink (so not very much but probably significant over the course of time) - however, cost-wise Ciaos + refills seemed more cost efficient to me.

kelicat 04-03-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bren3 (Post 13635204)
Can't wait to get home from work to try out my new copic markers that just arrived!!!! Thank you ladies for all your helpful input.

Bren,

please DO let us know how you like your markers!!! I still have to order mine!! I am agonizing over colors currently... :(

iluvpaper2 04-04-2009 12:42 PM

I love this tutorial by Jenn. She shows how she buys the colors she uses.
http://www.kiyomikrafts.com/kiyomi/2...opics-101.html
(scroll down for the video)

I personally started buying a few Copics at Hobby Lobby and I really didn't know what I was doing than I contined to buy individual ones.

Hope this helps.

KEI PETERSEN 04-04-2009 01:22 PM

I just bought a 72 set from called paper crafting set from I Copic. It has a great selection of colors. The other sets I looked at had tons of greys and colors you would not use. I love the set I got.

mrslumpy 04-04-2009 05:14 PM

WOW!! That tutorial by Jenn was awesome...she has a different way of doing her blending and coloring, but it looks very easy to follow and very doable! And, her creations are beautiful!
TFS

Julie in Indy 04-06-2009 02:41 AM

If my budget weren't a consideration, I'd purchase a huge set.

For now, I am content to "collect" them individually several at a time.

Nicole's Mom 05-14-2009 10:44 AM

does anyone know what the best set is.......I have a ton of birthday money burning a hole in my pocket....I would rather get the set and assume it would be a better price am I right?

ilikemarkers 05-14-2009 10:51 AM

it's not always a better price, but it's usually about the same to get a set or individually.

Go for Sketch or Ciao markers.

If you are a stamper then look at the Papercrafting sets. Or, if you want to match specific color schemes then check out places like Ellen Hutson who has sets to match SU! colors, or Hanna Stamps has color sets to go with her stamps. There are tons of sets out there that are custom, and there are general sets made by the manufacturer. You'll want to avoid those, since they are more fine-art colors and have a lot more grays than you need. HTH!

Bren3 05-14-2009 06:00 PM

my first set of copic markers I brought was the 72 B sketch and they were great for me. Then I found myself buying more of the inbetween colors I needed for the shading. I think it's all up to you. As someone mentioned here it's bets to start with the lighter shades and work your way up. I found myself picking the lighter shades and then blending in the darker ones.

But I absolutely love the colorless blender. Think I need to buy another one and the nips on the one I have is where out, because I use it so much.

Georgia Clymer 05-14-2009 06:43 PM

Where do you find the refill ink at a reasonable cost?

Bren3 05-15-2009 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgia Clymer (Post 14067514)
Where do you find the refill ink at a reasonable cost?

I think your best bet is to search the internet. Type in "copic marker refills" and see what comes up. You have to search lots of sites to get your best price.

ilikemarkers 05-15-2009 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bren3 (Post 14066968)

But I absolutely love the colorless blender. Think I need to buy another one and the nips on the one I have is where out, because I use it so much.

You can just replace the nibs, it's less expensive :)

RiverIsis 05-15-2009 07:44 AM

I got my pens and one refill so far from Oozak.

That is one of the things that sold me on Copics is the refillability. I like that in some sort of weird way my investment gets cheaper and that the markers don't dry out - go read Marianne's blog about the Yellow Marker in the sandbox for the entire winter!!! if you haven't already.

ilikemarkers 05-15-2009 08:48 AM

It was such a cute story about a marker! I had to share it here.

cullenwr 05-15-2009 01:37 PM

I have ordered consistently from Oozak...they ship so quickly and have great customer service plus an order over $50 is free shipping. I initially read through the Copic Chatter thread in the forum and started buying colors that matched the SU colors. Next, I looked at the frequently used colors in that thread and gradually have added to my collection. I'm still learning but do love the richness of color that Copics have. As for Ciao being more economical...not sure in the long run if that's the case...sketch markers are larger and I like the fact that they're in an oval shape and won't roll off the work surface. Good luck with your decision!

stamphappy1650 05-15-2009 03:39 PM

I buy mine from care piem and the LSS. I only have about 50 and don't think I need anymore. I bought the lighest, med, and dark of the colors that I like. This gives me a wide range of colors.

I color the med and dark on a CD case and labled the colors with a Sharpie. Then I use the lighest color to pick up the other colors and blend to make new colors. When I'm done I just put the CD case away until the next session. When I use up the color on the CD case I just color more.

I have mostly Ciao and a few sketch. I like the Ciao (chaper) and the cap fits on the end. I don't see myself buying all the colors and I've never been one for buying sets. I prefer to buy just the colors I like and will honestly use.