Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you use colored or primarily white & off white card stock?

This question is stemming from the realization that I have a problem. I am making a card for my brother who lives in a nursing home..(irrelevant info, but there it is, lol). I swear it took me at least 1 1/2 hours IF NOT 2 hours to decide on papers for his card.

After beating myself up for wasting so much time, I have come to the realization it is due to my not having enough paper.. even though my bf says 'I own every kind of cards stock there is'... :rolleyes: I do have a fair amount of paper, but most of my paper is scrapbook paper that I use to layer with. I don't have hardly any paper that is suitable for a masculine card. Most of my paper is pretty, pastel, floral, girly, butterfly-y.... well, you get the picture. xD

I had mentioned the card stock I have in another post. I looked closer tonight.. it is 80 lb, Darice Premium Textured Cardstock. I know this is not that great of a paper, but I really, really like it. I love the texture. Not so much for stamping on, but to create layers. My stack is 8.5 x 11 and there are only 2 pieces of each color... so I kind of use it sparingly... which is dumb... it's paper. lol

So, to my main question. What is your go to paper for colored card stock, or do you even use it? Do you use scrapbook paper to layer?

I need more designs and colors, and stuff that will go together.. I like to use a couple patterns and a couple solids... on the same card. But I'm having a hard time finding papers that will go well together.. at least out of my stash.

What do you suggest? Please keep in mind I am just getting back into this, but I am jumping in with both feet, so I am probably looking at a bit of cost in my near future...(meaning I can't afford a bunch of SU or expensive designer papers). I am definitely looking into more of that Darice textured paper... I just can't it enough.. I love it.
{Jeremiah 29:11}
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 04:58 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

I think you mentioned the SU! in colors in another post. Those multipacks are 4 of each of the 5 in colors so might be a good option. Several of them would make good guy card colors. My other go to for guy colors is Stampin' Up!'s regals, but that multipack is 2 each of the 10 colors. But, really, almost any color can be made into a guy card.

I do use lots of white CS and certainly layers of lighter designer papers. With the white CS, you can always color the edges of the paper with a sponge.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I usually use a white or cream base and layer on top the DSP that relates in color to the recipient KWIM?

If I use a coloured base, I will put an insert in it to stamp or write message.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

If you are going to get some Stampin' Up cardstock the Neutrals collection is nice too.......lots of options for guy cards and some good layering pieces. A combo pack is a great way to start.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

If I were to start over, I would purchase an assorted pack of each of the Stampin Up color families, white cardstock, very vanilla cardstock and crumb cake cardstock. An investment, I know. Then I would make my cards, using whatever colors movitated me. When I ran out of one color, I would put it on my SU shopping list a pack of that used up color. Why SU? I am not a current demonstrator. The quality of the paper and inks, the ability to match and coordinate paper make beautiful cards for even a simple stamper like me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would also branch out with a few SU designer papers in the colors I use most as my crafting budget allows. Making cards is way cheaper than therapy and it makes me happier! Have lots of fun! You do have the most interesting posts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 10:02 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,062 Likes on 817 Posts

I use mostly white bases, occasionally kraft or black.If I want any other colour, I usually just sponge the edges of a white card-front with ink in the colour I want. For my most-used colours I bought I couple of distress stains.

Scrapbook paper - you're talking about the 12x12 and 6x6 pads of patterned paper? The sketch challenge is your friend there! Typically I don't use a lot of DP, but when I do want to, a sketch is usually my starting point. Check out the gallery for all the sketches from the SCS sketch challenge HERE:
scsketches - Homemade Cards, Rubber Stamp Art, & Paper Crafts - Splitcoaststampers.com, this shows you the basic layout to follow.

As for masculine papers - can you stamp your own with whatever stamps you have on hand. Faux denim or faux wood direct-to-paper techniques are good for this type of card. Even a simple sentiment stamped multiple times can make an effective background layer.
The first part of this tutorial shows how do do a faux wood: Faux Wood Grain Finish Tutorial & Technique for Cardstock by Kim Teasdale, change the browns for blues and you've got denim.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 04:56 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I always use white cardstock to make the base for my cards, and then make "card fronts" to attach to them, completely covering the white base.

That way, I can make the outer layer of my card in any color of cardstock I want, and then proceed from there, with more color layers, or patterned paper.

For guy cards, I sometimes can find an appropriate pattern in my stash of paper. If not, I usually pick a masculine solid color, shades of blue, darker green, maroon, etc. and use one of my embossing folders. I have several embossing folders that I think work for guy cards, like a wood grain, diamond grid, or other geometric pattern.

I also like white bases so that the sentiment inside will show up, which is sometimes problematic if you use a color for your card base.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

Last edited by buggainok; 09-03-2016 at 05:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love the Hobby Lobby Heavyweight for bases. You can get packages of 50 for $4.50 when it's on sale. They have many different packages with different color combos in the heavyweight too. So for me it's easy to use colored bases. I generally cut 3 or 4 packages for bases and fold them at a time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 772 Likes on 556 Posts

Amber, do you know if the Hobby Lobby Heavyweight is 110 lb.?

~ Rita

God demonstrated His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us ... being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. Romans 5:8 & 9

https://www.chemoangels.com/

https://www.intercessors.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm pretty sure it is. It's a very nice heavy base weight. I'm laying down (back issues) so I can't go look. I like it a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2016, 01:00 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Almost always colored!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2016, 02:20 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I'm pretty sure it is. It's a very nice heavy base weight. I'm laying down (back issues) so I can't go look. I like it a lot.
Amber, sorry to know you're having back issues ..... hope you'll be feeling better soon. I was thinking I might try the Hobby Lobby heavyweight card stock as a replacement for Michael's 110 since they have replaced their heavy weight with a card stock of poorer quality.

~ Rita

God demonstrated His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us ... being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. Romans 5:8 & 9

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2016, 08:56 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think you will be happy with it. Is it on sale this week? I was just there and didn't look! Boogers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2016, 02:04 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Maybe try buying multipack samplers from different companies and then buying only the colors you love in single packages? I bought sampler multipacks from Papertrey Ink back in the day and from those I decided on which colors I wanted to have more of, and bought several packages of different colors, such as a large package of kraft, and reds, blues, etc. My Favorite Things has those sampler multipacks as well, and I just bought one to check them out. I also have Stampin Up! assorted packs from really old color families, and I wouldn't trade those for the world. You have no idea how many times I've wanted to match a color from patterned paper to card stock and I ended up using one of those Stampin Up! ones. I have a really old package of SU! Whisper White that I use as cards themselves, and I use a lot of the colored card stock for layering and as a card front, which I then adhere to the white card itself.
I don't know if SU! still has it, but I have some of their old colors in textured card stock, and it's pretty awesome. I hadn't used textured in a while, and it ended up being the perfect card base to complement a really busy-looking shaker panel, so I understand why you're reluctant to stop using the good textured one you've found.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2016, 02:31 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

I think you will be happy with it. Is it on sale this week? I was just there and didn't look! Boogers.
Amber, I was just thinking ahead a couple of weeks when I will be able to shop at my nearest Hobby Lobby which is an hour and a half away. I hope their card stock will be on sale at that time .... or I will be able to use a coupon.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Ut oh...we broke Amber asking her to check how much paper she has! (hugs)-I know from back pain. I hope it passes soon!

I have 3 colors for base-white, cream and black. Like others I will just layer on color if I want it or ink it.

I might suggest you think about background stamps...like the 6 x 6 out of Impression Obsession (IO) not cheap, but you can make your own DP and match any color you want! I have been collecting slowly when they are on sale. They have some nice masculine themes you could start with...like woods or brick.

Or you could consider masculine embossing folders and cut that to size. On sale they can be as low as 2 dollars each.

Not only do I not have the room but I really dont have the desire to have a full rainbow in card bases and then another one in layer weights....not in addition to specialty like mirrorcard, glossy, glitter, foil etc. And then we have to talk about paper for alcohol inks and watercolor and then DP too...not for me. Keep in mind how much space you have and what you want to give priority to.

My best advice to you about DP buying-if you get 12 x 12 watch the scale. A lot of it is too big for cards. One way is to count the pattern...you want it be at least 12 acroos so it's only 1 inch big and that could be pushing it-if you get what I mean. 6 x 6 is safer and many come in both sizes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Your 80 lb card stock is fine for a card base. You can try adding and blending inks such as blues and browns onto patterned paper to make it more masculine. Or stamp geometric shapes on top of patterned paper to change it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2016, 08:58 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

You ladies are funny. I have 2 titanium rods running the length of my back with 24 2.25" screws and several metal disks. I generally lay down at 7pm because I can't sit up any more. We got a king sleep number bed which is such a wonderful thing as It will go up and down on both ends. I can always find a comfortable position. Then I spend time on my tablet here, playing words and other stuff. I love buying paper but I'm trying to restrain myself. I have plenty of beautiful stuff to choose from. Thanks ladies, you made me smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2016, 07:46 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Well, this has been very enlightening to read! I love everyone's different comments and views. You'll all be happy to learn, I solved my paper problem this past weekend! I had a great time shopping. We went to Pat Catan's, which I was quite disappointed with as far as paper. I did get a couple packs there, but nothing spectacular. I then went to Joann's and if I remember correctly, I didn't buy any packs/stacks, but their loose scrapbook paper was 10 for $2, regular .79 and .99 each. So I bought several of the loose sheets. Being disappointed with my haul so far, I asked my honey if he minded if we went to Hobby Lobby... an hour and a half away. He didn't. THAT'S where I made my major haul. Paper Studio and Stampabilities was 50% off. I got several packs of scrapbook paper along with white, ivory and kraft heavyweight cardstock packs and envelopes. Yay. Along with a few odds and ends of other things.

Now, if I could just get myself to make something. :/
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2016, 10:43 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamsInPinkView Post
Well, this has been very enlightening to read! I love everyone's different comments and views. You'll all be happy to learn, I solved my paper problem this past weekend! I had a great time shopping. We went to Pat Catan's, which I was quite disappointed with as far as paper. I did get a couple packs there, but nothing spectacular. I then went to Joann's and if I remember correctly, I didn't buy any packs/stacks, but their loose scrapbook paper was 10 for $2, regular .79 and .99 each. So I bought several of the loose sheets. Being disappointed with my haul so far, I asked my honey if he minded if we went to Hobby Lobby... an hour and a half away. He didn't. THAT'S where I made my major haul. Paper Studio and Stampabilities was 50% off. I got several packs of scrapbook paper along with white, ivory and kraft heavyweight cardstock packs and envelopes. Yay. Along with a few odds and ends of other things.

Now, if I could just get myself to make something. :/

You will be inspired by something special, I just know it and then.....off to the races! Have fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you Jeanne!! I hope you are right... I'm in the middle of making my niece a card for her bridal shower... it's not finished.. I feel like it's too plain. We'll see. *sigh*
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2016, 02:17 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Thank you Jeanne!! I hope you are right... I'm in the middle of making my niece a card for her bridal shower... it's not finished.. I feel like it's too plain. We'll see. *sigh*
Don't know if it's to your taste or not, but when I look at a card and think "it's too plain", I usually add some bling, or stickles or stick on pearls.

Sometimes even outlining an image with a sparkle pen will jazz up a card.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you Bugga!! I actually have some stick on pearls on it... it's a wedding dress I made with my heart punch, I put pearls on the dress... I also have a strip of burlap ribbon running cattycorner under the dress and another piece of patterned paper... her theme is burlap and lace.. but I have one section of the card that is bare...I'll PM you a pic. ;)
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Jennifer did you like the Hobby Lobby Heavyweight?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just wanted to mention that my really old SU! card stock didn't fade, whereas the Papertrey Ink did around the edges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2016, 08:35 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

When I started stamping, I realized there were so many choices, being an information junky, I'd get analysis paralysis.

So I started used Jennifer McGuire's "favorite things" videos as a starting point (not an ending point). I still use some of the papers she recommends, including 110 pound Neenah solar white for bases sometimes, and 80 for layering. Sometimes I use off white for bases and sometimes white. And once in a while other colors.

If you scroll beneath the video, you'll see the papers.

My Favorite Crafty Things 2014: PAPER & ADHESIVES + Discount Codes + Giveaways - Jennifer McGuire Ink

As for taking "too long," if you're in design mode (as opposed to adhering or cutting or stamping mode), it can take a looong time. When you see some of the best card makers going lickety split on videos, you don't see their angst as they thought through (fought through?) designs, discarded four, tweaked three.

It takes as long as it takes. My cards can take very a long, because each one is a mini design problem to solve. Using on-line card "sketches" is a wonderful option but sometimes I want to fly solo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2016, 10:42 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Jennifer did you like the Hobby Lobby Heavyweight?
Well, it's funny you should ask... I'm not sure what happened... but I ended up not getting it apparently. :rolleyes: I could have sworn I got it.. but I must have put it back. So, I have no idea!! lol But thank you for asking!!

Also, bjeans, Beth, yes? Thank you for the encouragement regarding my cards taking so darn long. I think maybe I'm getting a tiny bit better. I made a card for my bf's grandma last night and today... I uploaded it, but I'm not sure it's on site yet. And I've started another one this evening. I wish I could find a layout that I really love, and use it several times, with different stamps and purposes. Does anyone do that? Or is each new card a whole new design?
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2016, 10:47 PM   #29  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Well, it's funny you should ask... I'm not sure what happened... but I ended up not getting it apparently. :rolleyes: I could have sworn I got it.. but I must have put it back. So, I have no idea!! lol But thank you for asking!!

Also, bjeans, Beth, yes? Thank you for the encouragement regarding my cards taking so darn long. I think maybe I'm getting a tiny bit better. I made a card for my bf's grandma last night and today... I uploaded it, but I'm not sure it's on site yet. And I've started another one this evening. I wish I could find a layout that I really love, and use it several times, with different stamps and purposes. Does anyone do that? Or is each new card a whole new design?

This is what sketches are. And yes, even I who do not typically use sketches ever, have a couple of go-to ones in my repertoire for a quick card. I think I gave you a link to the SCSketches gallery in another thread? They are a great jumping-off point, and some of them, with diagonal panels, give you two for the price of one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2016, 11:18 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you... Yes, I finally came to understand the whole concept of sketches. But for some reason, I just don't find myself inspired by them. :/ I know, I'm a problem child! lol

I don't feel like I have much of an imagination... I can copy things.. but to make my own, I kind of stink at it. Even with the sketches... nothing usually pops out at me... Perhaps I'm doomed. :/
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2016, 04:24 AM   #31  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

SC278 by SCSketches - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

This is one of my go-to sketches, and it's a classic one I see a lot of people using. You can add as much or as little matting to the panels as you like. You can use matching or contrasting papers, or just textures, for the smaller squares. The main panel can be square or round...and for an A2 card, rectangular or oval.
Sketches are not my instinctive way of card-making, and if there is a big challenge event on and it includes a sketch, that will probably be the last challenge I complete. But, I did learn an awful lot from participating in the sketch challenge here when I had more free time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2016, 08:57 PM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Ohhh, that ones cute!!! Maybe I SHOULD try this. xD I've been using A7 cards.. 5 x 7. I just like having more room to do more.. and I think they are more substantial. Do you know if many use that size or not?
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes