Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   How do you attach dew drops? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/how-do-you-attach-dew-drops-359070/)

colmom24 06-27-2008 04:59 PM

How do you attach dew drops?

My Ebay order came yesterday and I can't wait to go play! What's the best way for attaching these little beauties to my cards?

contrapat 06-27-2008 05:03 PM

I use Glue Dots. I got mine on ebay, too. 15 bottles & 12 tubs of em!

colmom24 06-27-2008 05:07 PM

Thanx!!! I got 18 different colors all pre-organized in a NICE plastic divided box. I spent about $30 for 1200 of them, hoping that I got a good deal =D

Anemone 06-27-2008 05:14 PM

I use glue dots too.

Coletta 06-27-2008 05:21 PM

I use a dot of mono multi (green bottle) and it works fine!

Coletta

contrapat 06-27-2008 05:27 PM

good deals

Quote:

Originally Posted by colmom24 (Post 10330880)
Thanx!!! I got 18 different colors all pre-organized in a NICE plastic divided box. I spent about $30 for 1200 of them, hoping that I got a good deal =D

Well, I got the deal of the century, I think. I bought 'em from England (they must not know what they are, or not when I got mine, at least!), and got all 27 bottles & tubs for $27, including shipping form the UK to Kansas. I was floored when I saw what I got them for. I had put my bid in for $60. They are way cool, I haven't used many, but they look very pretty on cards.

colmom24 06-27-2008 05:29 PM

SCORE!!!!!

7kidscollegefund 06-27-2008 08:11 PM

I use paper glaze (same as crystal effects and liquid glass).

Nicole's Mom 06-27-2008 09:31 PM

ok I am confused..........why do they come in tubs and bottles?

stampininthesun 06-28-2008 05:40 AM

I use Glue Dots usually. I did use some Stardust Stickles the other day...thought it might be fun to have some sparkle under the clear Dew Drop. It worked and you can see a little sparkle!

buggainok 06-28-2008 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coletta (Post 10331076)

Coletta

Me, too.

7kidscollegefund 06-28-2008 09:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicole's Mom (Post 10334808)
ok I am confused..........why do they come in tubs and bottles?

They come in little bottles and little lip gloss containers (which could be called a tub...it's probably a colloquialism). The bottle is about 2 1/2" high and 1 1/2 in diameter and the lip gloss container is about 1 1/2" in diameter and 3/4" high.

I've attached images of the packaging.

rlayton 06-28-2008 02:55 PM

I found something very similar to these in the section of Michaels by the floral foam and pebbles. There is more than one color in a bag, and I haven't put them side by side next to the "real" ones, but they would be a great alternative for less money, I think.

Julie in Indy 06-28-2008 03:00 PM

I use a product called Diamond Glaze, a water-based dimensional adhesive - just a tiny drop holds 'em fast and tight!

asuncionshija 06-28-2008 10:18 PM

I've used Glossy Accents and stickles. Both worked well. How did you all use glue dots?? My dots are too large - do you cut them? How?

wustaz 06-29-2008 01:55 AM

I use zip dry glue

AddictedtoStamps 06-29-2008 06:48 AM

Does anyone besides me think the "Decorative Accents" are far inferior to Robin's Nest Dew Drops.

stampinsweeney 06-29-2008 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coletta (Post 10331076)

Coletta

This is my preferred adhesive for these. Doesn't shift after the glue sets, unlike glue dots (Love glue dots for other projects!), and dries clear.

Nicole's Mom 06-29-2008 07:41 AM

7 kidscollegefund.....thank you for showing me that

I went to Michaels yesterday just to look these up. ARGGGGGGGG nobody knew what I was talking about and I spent an hour in the store searching. I checked out the floral department and nothing was even close except those huge glass stones.

In fact I can't believe how slow this store was as long as I am on a rant. The lady could not figure out how to do my gift card. Twenty minutes later she finally asked for help. I wanted to sceam.

Julie in Indy 06-29-2008 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddictedtoStamps (Post 10346988)
Does anyone besides me think the "Decorative Accents" are far inferior to Robin's Nest Dew Drops.

I wasn't sure if it was just me or not but I prefer the Robin's Nest Dew Drops to anything else I've seen so far.

dmaggt 06-29-2008 10:02 AM

I really like Bella's baubles, although I don't like to pay the high shipping costs. I think it is a Canadian company and that is why shipping is high.

jimandbeth1 06-29-2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlayton (Post 10341095)
I found something very similar to these in the section of Michaels by the floral foam and pebbles. There is more than one color in a bag, and I haven't put them side by side next to the "real" ones, but they would be a great alternative for less money, I think.

Are these ones flat on one side? I was just wondering, because the flat side makes it easier to attach.

asuncionshija 06-29-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddictedtoStamps (Post 10346988)

I absolutely agree! I bought the Dec Accents first (hadn't seen DD in person) at Mike's on clearance. When I used them I noticed that I had to trim a lot of edges. Took me a while to figure out that some of my clear ones are crystal clear, others are cloudy. But the price can't be beat!
Then I found some DD locally. Wow, they're so much smaller! No edges to trim! Only one thing (negative) that I've noticed... the color is very uneven. Sometimes it looks like a pattern of spots - I mean really obvious. Anyone else notice this? :confused: Well, that and I think they're overpriced a bit... but I bought some.... :mrgreen: Okay, several!

Becca Stamps 06-29-2008 01:40 PM

I use Elmers Glue or any white glue that dries clear....it only takes a small dot, sets within minutes and there are no tell tale signs.

KraftyChic 06-29-2008 01:49 PM

Hi Ladies, I've tried several different types and prefer the tiny glue dots! They work great!

KraftyChic

eyestitch 07-02-2008 10:35 AM

Where do you get Dew Drops? Are they only online?

asuncionshija 07-02-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyestitch (Post 10385706)

Actually, I got mine at a (not so local) scrapbook store. It is a pretty big store though, and they tend to carry TONS of embellishments. One of the women there told me that they saw someone using them at a crop & just had to have them. So it is possible to find them in regular stores... just way easier to find them online. Or you could ask your lss to carry them... :D

YouInkIt 07-02-2008 11:55 AM

I use mini glue dots with my "Decorative Accents" from Michaels. Works like a charm!

dini 07-02-2008 12:01 PM

to hijack a little...........I bought some of these "Skittles" on ebay yesterday, but haven't gotten them yet - they are supposed to be the same as the dewdrops but are hand-dyed - anyone seen or used these? http://stores.ebay.com/Homemade-Meals-Quicker

AddictedtoStamps 07-02-2008 12:18 PM

I suspect those are similair to the Decorative Accents that Mike's used to carry and she's used alcohol ink to dye them.

I have both and don't think the Decorative Accents are anywhere near the same quality as Dew Drops.

Pls let us know. Do you have the originial Dew Drops to compare?

Tracee619 07-02-2008 12:29 PM

I love these dew drops!

I got mine back a couple of months ago...attach them with any quick dry paper glue...as long as it is clear.
They stick in a snap!
I haven't seen anything like them in Michael's...then again, I have been so very disappointed in Michael's the last few trips...really don't evwen like going anymore. Customer service is awful and they seem stuck n the past when it comes to new products!

toodlesyall 07-02-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyestitch (Post 10385706)

Jacksonbelle Embellishments carries them: http://www.jacksonbelleembellishment...ops/Categories

As does Ellen Hutson: http://www.ellenhutson.com/servlet/t...ops/Categories

Both of these stores have excellent service and shipping prices are fair (no, I don't work for either of them, just love them!). :)

RJP111 07-02-2008 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampininthesun (Post 10336415)
I use Glue Dots usually. I did use some Stardust Stickles the other day...thought it might be fun to have some sparkle under the clear Dew Drop. It worked and you can see a little sparkle!

What a cool idea! I'm going to try that!

I usually use a small dab of white craft glue

eured99 07-02-2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddictedtoStamps (Post 10386959)
I suspect those are similair to the Decorative Accents that Mike's used to carry and she's used alcohol ink to dye them.

I have both and don't think the Decorative Accents are anywhere near the same quality as Dew Drops.

Pls let us know. Do you have the originial Dew Drops to compare?

I have both, and the dew drops definitely have more color choices and are a little smaller, I think, but it doesn't affect using them. I like them both, and think the dewdrops could be priced lower than they are, since I got huge bags of the Decorative Accents for just 2.00--I have been sharing them like crazy. I can't tell any difference on the cards, honestly.

ButterflyEars 07-02-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asuncionshija (Post 10345756)
I've used Glossy Accents and stickles. Both worked well. How did you all use glue dots?? My dots are too large - do you cut them? How?

You can get glue dots in different sizes, the small size is perfect for the dew drops.

kathat 07-02-2008 07:44 PM

I've used the mini glue dots, mono multi, crystal effects, and ranger's glossy accents. My bottle of crystal effects is old and I don't know if that is affect the quality but I prefer the Ranger's Glossy Accents the most to hold my dew drops.

gacker 07-02-2008 09:00 PM

Difference between real and "fakes"

I bought those decorative accents (in the Floral dept at Michael's for $1.50). You do get a lot in a bag but when you compare them to the real dew drops, they are a little bigger, have rougher edges that you sometimes have to trim and are not as shiny. You can add that glaze over the tops of them, however, for more shine. And while you're at it, can use the glaze too to glue them on.

GarnetJ 07-03-2008 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asuncionshija (Post 10349536)
........ Only one thing (negative) that I've noticed... the color is very uneven. Sometimes it looks like a pattern of spots - I mean really obvious. Anyone else notice this? :confused: Well, that and I think they're overpriced a bit... but I bought some.... :mrgreen: Okay, several!

Actually, that is one of things I LIKE about dew drops. Because the color is not so "perfect" they look more like the real thing... little drops of dew.

Connie-Helen 07-03-2008 01:51 AM

I use Diamond Glaze as well!

I tried a lot of things, before I went for Diamond Glaze! When I use that, they are stuck to the paper, and you only need a tiny drop :-)

HUTstamper 07-03-2008 03:14 PM

Okay girls here's a way to make your own dew drops!!! At Joann's you'll find, in the artifical flower section, clear plastic babbles(the tiny ones). Use a small snack size zip lock bag, squirt a few drops of alcohol ink into the zip lock bag, blow into the bag to inflate slightly, seal bag and shake well to cover the babbles. Allow time for the drops to dry on a sheet of copy paper, take outside, lay them out and spray with an acrylic sealer. One bag of the clear babbles contains hundreds, cost approximently $5 to $6. With very little work you can make hundreds of different colors. You can also use a spray paint as long as it can be used on plastic. I have seen silver and gold ones and they are just beautiful.