Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HoT KniFE

I am ready to open the package of my new hot knife and just wanted to make sure I checked in with all of you to ask about the procedure you use to accomplish cutting the ezmount. Someone mentioned after the rubber is on the ezmount sprinkle baby powder to help eliminate so much sticky stuff. Just askin' I guess for a play by play on how to do this. Do I take the paper off of the cling side before using the knife?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

Let's see if this helps....You cut the rubber to it's finished size, leaving just a minimum edge around the design. Then, place it on the sticky side of the EZ Mount. You can put as few or as many on the sheet, just pull back the protective sheet as far as you need. If you wish, lightly brush on baby or talcum powder between the rubber to keep your fingers from sticking to the open areas. You then can start using the hot knife to cut out your images (make sure your knife is hot). If you have less than a full sheet, I would leave the backing sheet on, otherwise, it's your choice. I do leave it on.
HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I think everyone has their own way, you just have to experiment a little and see what feels best for you. Just be careful of the hot end of the knife!! Here's what I do.

1. I place the knife holder metal thing on the table and then lay a ceramic tile on the flat part that sits on the table to help hold it in place. Some people tape it down to the table. Whatever you choose to do, it helps keep it stable so you have somewhere safe to set down the knife.

2. I first trim the rubber closely from around the stamp images with scissors. It is really easy to trim the rubber without the foam cushion attached.

3. Then I pull the paper back from the sticky adhesive side of the EzMount just far enough to place my largest stamp first.

4. I place the smaller stamps on the adhesive leaving just enough space between each of the stamps for the knife to cut through. I keep pulling the paper back just enough to add stamps as I go along. I add all the stamps I am wanting to mount or until the EzMount sheet is full.

5. Then I pull back the paper backing on the cling side of the EzMount at least as far as I have on the side with the rubber stamps.

6. Make sure the knife is plugged in for a few minutes to be fully heated. It only takes a few minutes.

7. I don't use any powder. It's an extra stip that I don't find necessary and the powder on the cling side of the EzMount will make it not stick very well to your acrylic block. You may have to wash the cling off with water to get the powder off so that they will cling better.

8. I hold the knife in my right hand as I am right handed and in my left hand I hold the sheet of EzMount with the rubber stamps stuck on the sticky side facing me.

9. I hold the knife blade at a 45 degree angle and cut away the extra EzMount from the part that has rubber stamps stuck to it. I start at the side and cut all along the edges of the rubber stamps to not waste any EzMount. I put the paper backing back on both side of the unused part of the EzMount and put it aside.

I keep a wadded up paper towel on the table beside me to wipe the knife off as I go along when any of the EzMount foam sticks to it. I use two fingers to hold the paper towel in place and wipe the knife across it. Don't leave it sit on the paper towel or it will start to smoke/burn. Don't hold the paper towel in your hand or you will burn yourself!! Experience is a wonderful teacher!! The blade will turn black but I have not found that to interefer with the cutting.

10. Holding the sheet of rubber stamps on the EzMount in my left hand facing me again, I use the knife to go around each of the stamps. Concentrate on keeping the knife at a 45 degree angle so you do not under cut the stamps. I go around all of the outside of each stamp first, then go back and get the little areas too small for the knive to curve into. You will have to make little 'v's to get into little crevices. You may also need to touch up a few places that you didn't get close enough to the rubber also.

That's it!! Step by step. Hope this helps you. The first stamp or two may feel a little clumsy but the knife cuts like melted butter. If not, your knife is not hot enough or try pushing the knife down farther into the foam. The farther up the blade, the hotter it gets.

The knife will not cut or burn the rubber. If you really mess up, or under cut a stamp, you can peel the EzMount off and try it again. Don't waste the piece you pull off, put a smaller stamp on it and cut it out.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

flwrldy3--

Awesome, Awesome.................directions. I am feeling a little more confident about pulling it out of the package and putting it to use. Thanks so much for helping me out. I so very much appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

You're very welcome. I hope it works well for you. Let me know how it goes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2008, 01:34 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 16 Posts

I borrowed one from a friend to test and decide not to buy one. I'm pretty handy with tools and I think that its a bit too dangerous to use in my stamp room. The stand is weak and the heat gun had a tendancy to tip over. I suggest having a hot pot holder nearby in case it starts to fall you can catch it. I'll stick with my sticky scissors just to be on the safe side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

WOWIE!!! I am in love with the hot knife. It worked so smoothly and saved me a ton of time. I was so nervous to use it, but after the first stamp was cut out---no more fears. Couldn't believe how easy it really was. I cut out about 2 sheets of EZ mount full of stamps in about 1 hour. So happy that my scissors didn't have to work so hard.

Stamphappy1650--try just taping the holder down on the table. My little holder stayed right there and no falling hot knife. If you have several stamps to cut out this is the only way to go about it IMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #8  
Inking Addict

ok, I hate to ask this and show my ignorance but where do I get a hot knife? Do they sell them at Mike's or HL? What company makes it? I think I need this. I am thinking of unmounting my SU sets and this sounds like the quickest way to do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampie_newbieView Post
ok, I hate to ask this and show my ignorance but where do I get a hot knife? Do they sell them at Mike's or HL? What company makes it? I think I need this. I am thinking of unmounting my SU sets and this sounds like the quickest way to do it.
I purchased mine from Joann.com, but Michaels's carries them also. The brand name is Walnut Hallow. It would be a good idea to buy a package of extra blades for backup. They get black and gunky real quick, but they still work fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Yep---got mine at Mike's. They are $16.99 and of course used a 40%coupon, so that made the deal even sweeter. Like I said, I was
super-dooper nervous about buying and using this thing, but if you use the directions flwrldy3 so generously typed out, you will have no problems. Thanks again flwrldy3 for all your help--you saved they day---
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

I bought mine at Mike's too. I've used mine A LOT! My only complaint is that the blade part doesn't stay straight up and down in mine... the blade itself shifts in the holder. It's not dangerous... not wiggly, just bent. I've even tried purchasing a pack of refill blades, thinking that I got a bad blade in mine, but the refill blades do the same thing! Does anyone else's do this?

My Little Blog! Amy's Inky Fingers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

where can i go (U tube?) to see a video or someothing to understand what a hot knife is and what it is used for?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by amyz2988View Post
I bought mine at Mike's too. I've used mine A LOT! My only complaint is that the blade part doesn't stay straight up and down in mine... the blade itself shifts in the holder. It's not dangerous... not wiggly, just bent. I've even tried purchasing a pack of refill blades, thinking that I got a bad blade in mine, but the refill blades do the same thing! Does anyone else's do this?
Amy, I had a loose blade the 1st time I cut my EZ Mount. I really thought I had tightened it well enough with my fingers. If you have a pair of pliers, use them to tighten that blade! Your blade should not wiggle at all. HTH! May God bless, Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2008, 08:00 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I borrowed one from a friend to test and decide not to buy one. I'm pretty handy with tools and I think that its a bit too dangerous to use in my stamp room. The stand is weak and the heat gun had a tendancy to tip over. I suggest having a hot pot holder nearby in case it starts to fall you can catch it. I'll stick with my sticky scissors just to be on the safe side.
Yes, the stand is only 2 pieces of heavy wire bent together to form a stand. It is very dangerous. Please don't plug in your knife until you've secured the stand to your work table. I use 2 pieces of 2" wide packing tape. The 1st piece goes across the *legs* of the stand. Then, just to be sure it ain't goin' anywhere , I put a 2nd piece crosswise of the 1st piece and over the front wire. Probably a litte extra trouble, but who wants to care for a bad burn for weeks? NOT ME! The hot knife is a fabulous tool and, with precautions, a joy for our pink tool boxes. May God bless, Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitterGaloreView Post
I am ready to open the package of my new hot knife and just wanted to make sure I checked in with all of you to ask about the procedure you use to accomplish cutting the ezmount. Someone mentioned after the rubber is on the ezmount sprinkle baby powder to help eliminate so much sticky stuff. Just askin' I guess for a play by play on how to do this. Do I take the paper off of the cling side before using the knife?
When I'm ready to cut through the EZ Mount, I peel off the back paper and lay my stamps/Ez Mount onto a Glass Mat. If you don't have one, you can use a piece of glass from a picture frame. The EZ Mount will cling to the glass. You can either turn the glass or pick up the stamp/Ez Mount and re-position it on the glass to get a better angle to cut. Don't forget.. the blade needs to be straight up and down at all times to avoid under-cutting your Ez Mount which leads to wobbly stampin'.
The Glass Mat has sanded, smooth edges. If you're using a pic. frame glass, be fore-warned. That glass can slice your skin and the blood alone will make you wish you'd never seen rubber of any kind. To make it safe to use, tape all the sides with masking tape or several layers of just plain old Scotch tape. It'll take an extra few minutes but worry-free cutting is the goal plus it can be used over and over with the same tape. Your attention should be focused on that HOT knife at all times. HTH!
May God bless, Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 02:45 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Here is the tool that I have from the manufacturers website. I did not give this much for it, I bought it at Hobby Lobby with a coupong:

http://www.walnuthollow.com/24422creativehotmarks.aspx

But there are other brands that are pretty much the same.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

This is the best thing since sliced bread! or unmounted rubber stamps We actually purchased the glass plate from Sunday International which has a tray on top to lay the hot knife in. I do exactly what Stormy does - peel off the backing paper for the cling and adhere it to glass so it doesn't move. Also, there are two different thicknesses of EZ mount. (I'm sorry if I'm repeating this as I haven't read all the responses). The thick works great for the bigger stamps - but the tiny stamps or really thin images, ie, flower stems or the flourishes for those beautiful written words, we take the stamp off of the cushion so all we have is the rubber and use the thin EZ mount. The reason for this is if the cushion is too thick you run the risk of having the stamp wobbling. Works really great. Also on a funny note . . . if you don't chose to take the backing off the cling side first, be sure to take it off before you adhere to the sticky side. My husband does my mounting and one time he forgot and we called Gary at Sunday International to "complain". While taking with him, the stamp was at eye level and I noticed the backing was still on the stamp! Duh! We both had a great laugh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

How do I clean the black stuff off of the blade when I am done?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 11:19 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

It should clean up with rubbing alcohol or fingernail polish remover.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here's a link to a YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgbyk6y3kMk

Although I tend to stick mine to glass like previous posters - just seems safer I guess!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 09:24 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Ok, you ladies are scareing me. Why on earth would you ever want to unmount your Stampin Up Stamps? Maybe you can't see through them, but they are the finest quality rubber stamps on the market! Yes, I even have a few clear stamps, and I use them about 90% less than my SU stamps. They just don't get the job done as well. My favorite thing is when the package says that they are made of a non-yellowing material, and they are already turing yellow while they are hanging on the store hooks. Sorry, a girl has a right to her opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by boobaletView Post
Ok, you ladies are scareing me. Why on earth would you ever want to unmount your Stampin Up Stamps? Maybe you can't see through them, but they are the finest quality rubber stamps on the market! Yes, I even have a few clear stamps, and I use them about 90% less than my SU stamps. They just don't get the job done as well. My favorite thing is when the package says that they are made of a non-yellowing material, and they are already turing yellow while they are hanging on the store hooks. Sorry, a girl has a right to her opinion.
Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I haven't unmounted any of my SU! stamps. I do have a whole bunch of other rubber stamps that came 'naked'. No block, no cushion, nada. Price and storage space play a big part as well as design. Sometimes another company has a stamp that you just have to have. I know that I've bought lots of stamps from Third Coast because I love her designs, most recently I bought a bunch of sheets from Katzelkraft in France. I can't imagine having to pay for shipping on blocks from there! Any time I go to a stamp show I end up buying lots of naked rubber and I need a way to use them. EZ Mount just happens to be my choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampie_newbieView Post
You can use any woodburner that has the knife assembaly. I have the "Creative Hot Marks" I think it is called by walnut hollow, it is marketed to scrappers but it has the hot knife attachment and it takes #11 blades that are cheap and easy to find. I'm glad Y found this thread cuz I use my hot knife for smoothly cutting foamcore, i've never tried cutting my ez mount DUH! what a timesaver! And a $$ saver if you already have one, ask your hubby, he may have a woodburner with the knife attachment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 05:54 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

I never thought about cutting foam core board!! Thanks for the tip!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by amyz2988View Post
Yes No idea why it does. I tried to tighten it but it still goes up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by boobaletView Post
Hi Lisa: I am starting to unmount some of my favorite SU stamps because it is alot easier to see where you are stamping. When you unmount an SU stamp, you are not necessarily devaluing the stamp because it not attached to the wood anymore. You are still using the same fine quality rubber stamp and it produces the same kind of impression as if it were still on the wood. I am a big fan of using the acrylic blocks because it takes the out the guess work of making sure you are stamping in the right spot (it is easier to eyeball where the image will go instead of having to use a stamp-a-ma-jig). As a matter of fact, it is easier for me to control the amount of pressure to get a good impression with an unmounted stamp versus a wood mounted stamp. With wood mounted, I tend to rock the stamp from side to side and oftentimes I don't get a great impression.

There is clearly a difference between rubber stamps and clear stamps. I agree with you that some clear stamps yellow and stain after some time (even if it has been unused), but alot of companies out there like PTI and MFT have great quality clear stamps. I am just starting to collect those.

So, in all, most of us who unmounted our SU stamps is simply for ease of use and most of all (at least for me)...unmounted stamps take up less space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2008, 06:24 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

I watched the video on you tube someone posted and its great.
But can I use the knife on my new SU stamps that already have the backing?
Reply With Quote Likes