Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Felt like a moron today, trying to set up my Cricut -

Ok after reading all the paperwork, NO WHERE does it tell me that I have to install the blade before using - ! I unpacked it, set it up, did all the things they told me to do, nothing. No cutting. Finally looking at this gold thing in the box thinking, HUH, this isn't on the diagram, I think it's for adjusting the blade though - go to the page where it says to adjust the blade and figure out, with my DD's help - (she is 9) that it WAS the blade -- only because she had seen her teacher use it at school, she kept saying that she thought there should be something in there - finally figured out to put it in there, again with her leading me through -

Tell me I am not the only moron here - seriously I feel like writing a "strongly worded letter" because I really think part of the setup instructions should really be "install your blade" - !! Not just hidden in the "if you want to adjust the settings on your blade" - !

On a positive note, holy cow, is this Cricut thing fabulous - I got the base model, the Create but got some other cartridges at that 27.88 each sale, and all I can say his holy cow, I wish I had gotten this sooner!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh just wanted to say that it is so hard to get the "tone" of someone in a message, my DD and I have been laughing so hard at this, I am not angry at all, I read my message above and kind of hard to get the gist of how funny this all is - though I still feel like writing those people a letter, I just can't believe how stupid I felt - oh and even funnier, I almost LOST that darn piece - I fell asleep last night looking at the instruction manual and then went to bed, I had stuff on my lap on the couch and just set it down - I had to go looking for it this morning when I woke up and found it inside the blanket on the floor - for heavens sake it could have been gone -

! Soooo very glad all went well!

I will have to check out the gallery and see what others have done with their Cricuts -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Ya know, I'm often so literal that I can completely understand how you'd be following directions and not get the blade installed.

Glad you figured it out and are cutting away!

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

This is good to know, because I bought the Create too and haven't set mine up yet. I'd have probably been scratching my head about how it wouldn't work too. I've had my share of duh moments. ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrankyCrafterView Post
This is good to know, because I bought the Create too and haven't set mine up yet. I'd have probably been scratching my head about how it wouldn't work too. I've had my share of duh moments. ;)

I just realized that what I have is actually the "Personal Cutter" model - which may have been the first one - so maybe the "Create" which is the next model they made they caught on and all the instructions include it. Hopefully, anyway, it is kind of an important part! Good luck and have fun with it, I was so amazed with it once I started!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Heeheehee! Thank you for the giggle! It is good you can laugh at yourself...I've never done anything so silly! :rolleyes: Just don't ask anyone I know to verify that statement and absolutely don't believe any of the stories they might tell! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2009, 05:18 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

LOL.... it's it amazing how much children know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The book is hard to understand to me, i just get some waste paper and start cutting.
i need directions that says -- cut paper at this size, do this step and then do this step. Am i the only one?

smallcity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #9  

Received 275 Likes on 162 Posts

Another beginner here. . . .
I got in on the before Thanksgiving $49 Personal Cricut deal someone posted here on SCS, and have been waiting a month to use it (it was my Christmas gift ).
I have just experimented, and am so pleased with this personal die cutting machine! I, too, would like to see samples of what others are making, specifically cards. Thought I'd google to find some links. . . . If anyone knows of any, please share the addresses or links. Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smallcity.....The Cricut and Expression are very easy machines to learn. The best way is to just sit down with some paper and just start practicing with the machine.

You might want to see if your local craft store gives classes on the machine. The stores in my area do. I teach at AC Moore. Just ask at the store, they may set up a class for you. The fee is very reasonable typically around $10-$15 per class.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2009, 05:05 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

There are several videos on You-Tube as well. I have learned so much watching them there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2009, 06:06 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

The best place I have found is the Cricut message board.. if you click on Cricut Crafts and Cricut Cards it will take you to the forum where people mostly list the cards they have made with the machine.. there is a tab for layouts and other crafts, chit chat, trips&tricks, etc.. have fun ~ Pam

CRICUT MESSAGE BOARD SITE

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallcityView Post
The book is hard to understand to me, i just get some waste paper and start cutting.
i need directions that says -- cut paper at this size, do this step and then do this step. Am i the only one?

smallcity
Nah, you're not the only one as I've read other people having problem with the user manual. I always wonder if they had anyone test manuals before they print them.

Anywho, like others have said, the machine is really easy to use, but the difficutly will come when you start cutting different kind/weights of paper. You might want to subscribe to the cricut thread here on SCS. Tons and tons of information and lots of people to give you great advice on paper, taking care of the mats, etc.

I really like my Expression and I don't do nearly the number of things you can do with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Pigfingers, I'm going to make you feel much better.

My DH went with me on Thanksgiving to get the original Cricut at Ms for $69.99 and two cartridges. I refused to wait until Christmas to use it since I had a bunch of stuff I wanted to make.

Well, an hour after unpacking it, putting it together and all that stuff, I called Michaels and asked if I could return it because it just wasn't doing anything right. It wouldn't show stuff to cut when I pressed on the pad. It wouldn't cut anything. It kept giving me some strange message.

Well, had I read the manual---well, looked at the pictures..I would have realized that I needed to put the cartridge in...........duh!!!! OMG, my whole family started laughing because I was irritated that Michaels wouldn't take it back because it had been opened and the stupid thing wouldn't work.

Let me tell you I absolutely LOVE my machine today. Love it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I didn't even look at the manual -- I'm SUCH a visual person...therewas a DVD with my Expression - and I watched that - SUPER simple to set up after that thank goodness! The thing sat in the box for 4 or 5 months, because I was too intimidated to take it out and figure out how to use it! lol

Happy crafting -- can't wait to see what you come up with!
Reply With Quote Likes