Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   High Quality Glitter (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/high-quality-glitter-472604/)

kate2kate 12-19-2009 01:19 PM

High Quality Glitter

I have been loving glitter lately. I think I am a junky now.

Does anyone know where I can buy high quality glitter? Not stickles, martha or doodlebug I have them and like them I just want to try something different. Also maybe recommend your favorite color.

Would also love to find chunky clear glitter. I saw someone use it on a card on their blog and it was beautiful (wish I could remember the blog :()

Thanks for any help!

Katie

nana jenkins 12-19-2009 02:14 PM

sparklensprinkle.com has great glitter! Every color imaginable. The bridal white (I think that is what it's called) covers so good. If you want to pm me I can send you a list of the ones I have. They are gorgeous!

ctorina 12-19-2009 02:19 PM

I love Hero Arts Prisma Glitter!

ChaosMom 12-19-2009 02:22 PM

I agree with Sparkle & Sprinkle http://sparklensprinkle.com/o/index.php?cPath=23

Art Institute Glitter is good too....here's 1 source: Frantic Fran:

http://www.franticstamper.com/artinstitue-glitter.htm

And I like DeNami's glitter for highlighting - you can get it on their site and probably others who sell DeNami's stamps:

http://denamidesign.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=55

I like each of the colors for different reasons...so it really depends on how you are using it to determine the colors...I have bunches of colors but don't use it nearly enough!

Good Luck!

kphorse 12-19-2009 03:57 PM

The best and finest glitter is German Glass Glitter...Google it and you find several places that carry it...

The sparkle can not be missed, it is real glass as fine as you can get and the colors to die for...You can also get it from American Art Glitter...

Scrapjanny 12-19-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorse (Post 15741377)
The best and finest glitter is German Glass Glitter...Google it and you find several places that carry it...

The sparkle can not be missed, it is real glass as fine as you can get and the colors to die for...You can also get it from American Art Glitter...

This glitter is beautiful, but be careful if you use it. Obviously, it is glass, right? Well, I wish I would have remembered that the first time I used it. I went to press it into the paper, and I actually cut my finger. I was wondering what that slicing feeling was, and why I had little specks of blood on my fingers. Then I realized that it had been the glass glitter that had done it. :rolleyes:

kate2kate 12-19-2009 04:48 PM

Thank you for the suggestions and the links. I would love to try the german Glitter Glass but I have 3 dogs and a 6 year old. I would be afraid to use it.

Katie

kphorse 12-19-2009 04:55 PM

Katie...I have used it for years and have never cut myself nor has anyone I've ever given a card too been cut from it...I do not put it on childrens cards, but other wise using it you should have no problem...I also have never pushed glitter into paper with my fingers?

quiltscraps 12-19-2009 07:14 PM

I love Hero Arts Prisma Glitter for a clear, super-sparkly look. Barbara Trombley's Art Glittering System colors (which I found at a LSS) are wonderful. They are ultra-fine like Prisma.

dianerh 12-19-2009 07:48 PM

Art Institute Glitter is GREAT! You can even use it on clothing with appropriate glue. I've used it that way, on paper, in glass ornaments, etc. See this link:

http://www.artglitter.com/retail/Rartglitter.html

You might find it at a nearby LSS.

kate2kate 12-20-2009 04:12 AM

I would like to try Art Institute Glitter. I have looked at their combo packs but there are so many of them I am more confused than ever.

Since valentines day is coming up can someone recommend a good red and a couple pinks. A dark, medium, and light pink. For Red I don't like fire engine or orangie (is that a word lol ) red more of a deep or darker red.

This would be so helpful. It is so hard to tell the colors on the computer.

Thanks,
Katie

jukie 12-20-2009 06:11 AM

another vote for Art Institute glitter:-D

KelliJo 12-20-2009 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kate2kate (Post 15742748)
I would like to try Art Institute Glitter. I have looked at their combo packs but there are so many of them I am more confused than ever.

Since valentines day is coming up can someone recommend a good red and a couple pinks. A dark, medium, and light pink. For Red I don't like fire engine or orangie (is that a word lol ) red more of a deep or darker red.

Thanks,
Katie

I received a newsletter that 7kidscollegefund is going to be carrying this product and they are SUPER great to work with!

debbiemom23cs 12-20-2009 07:58 AM

I second a vote for Sparkle 'n Sprinkle glitter. Its super sparkly and comes in so many colors.

Plus I have used Colorbox glitter. Its a superfine glitter that really sparkles.

Scrapjanny 12-20-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorse (Post 15741599)
Katie...I have used it for years and have never cut myself nor has anyone I've ever given a card too been cut from it...I do not put it on childrens cards, but other wise using it you should have no problem...I also have never pushed glitter into paper with my fingers?

It's not unusual to press glitter into glue if it isn't sticking. I used to use glue pads, and sometimes I had to do that to get the glitter to stick. That's why I don't use glue pads anymore. If anyone should rub his/her fingers across the glitter, it can cut him/her. I just wanted to point out the dangers of using glass glitter. And if she has a little one and dogs, it can be very dangerous to have around - especially if any lands on the floor, as glitter usually does.

KelliJo 12-20-2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapjanny (Post 15743604)
It's not unusual to press glitter into glue if it isn't sticking. I used to use glue pads, and sometimes I had to do that to get the glitter to stick. That's why I don't use glue pads anymore. If anyone should rub his/her fingers across the glitter, it can cut him/her. I just wanted to point out the dangers of using glass glitter. And if she has a little one and dogs, it can be very dangerous to have around - especially if any lands on the floor, as glitter usually does.

You are GOOD mine ALWAYS lands on the floor, not "Usually"! LOL It is GUARANTEED to happen... shoot, I have gottenit in my eye by opening the jar!!!! great affect if you are lacking in sleep, instant twinkle! :rolleyes::mrgreen: I use a 2 way glue pen and I too have to push my glitter into it, and ALWAYS smush the flock down into it....

Scrapjanny 12-20-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelliJo (Post 15743635)
You are GOOD mine ALWAYS lands on the floor, not "Usually"! LOL It is GUARANTEED to happen... shoot, I have gottenit in my eye by opening the jar!!!! great affect if you are lacking in sleep, instant twinkle! :rolleyes::mrgreen: I use a 2 way glue pen and I too have to push my glitter into it, and ALWAYS smush the flock down into it....

:) Usually our dog ends up with glittery fur for a few days whenever I use it. :D

kphorse 12-20-2009 02:14 PM

7 Kids is going to be carrying the Meyer Imports Glass Glitter...From Germany...

monkeymama 12-20-2009 04:50 PM

I vote for Barbara Trombley's Art Glitter.... Love it! It comes in a huge variety of colors and it really sparkles!

giasiana 12-21-2009 07:08 AM

The best glitter I've ever seen is from PK Glitz
http://www.pkglitz.com/
They did a demonstration at a scrapbooking convention in San Marcos that I went to this past August (or was it Sept.?).
It's fabulous!

Arizona 12-27-2009 02:06 AM

I have been looking into German glass glitter and product info says it develops a vintage patina over time. Does anyone know if this means it tarnishes? Does this affect the sparkle?

MadameCraftyPants 12-27-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arizona (Post 15771007)
I have been looking into German glass glitter and product info says it develops a vintage patina over time. Does anyone know if this means it tarnishes? Does this affect the sparkle?

Yes, it does tarnish and the sparkle does dull over time.

GlitterEmm 12-28-2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kate2kate (Post 15742748)

Thanks,
Katie

Try the pee wee kit called 'My Valentine', pinks, reds and no orangies! Look at the color names on the artglitter site under glitter color kits if you want to get them seperately (scroll down to find it alphabetically). Have fun!!!!

kittycatsx4 12-28-2009 01:48 PM

I love the Art Institute Glitter! They have such beautiful colors and it covers very nicely. I would recommend it to anyone!

ilikemarkers 12-28-2009 02:44 PM

I love the Our Craft Lounge Sparkly Fluff. It's super glittery, but it's also fuzzy and soft and comes in tons of colors. I love their big chunky glitter as well. I had my nail technician use their fine glitter on my toes last summer :)

KatarinaM 12-28-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadameCraftyPants (Post 15772970)
Yes, it does tarnish and the sparkle does dull over time.

I think this is only the silver glitter, or maybe some other colors, too. I've only ever used the clear glass glitter, and it is as sparkly as the day I first applied it. I have some Christmas decorations from many years ago that I used glass glitter on, and no sign of 'patina'.

bunnystamper 12-28-2009 04:44 PM

You can get German Glass Glitter from Custom Crops.

HTH
Suzi

GlitterEmm 12-29-2009 06:39 AM

German Glass Glitter

If the brand of glass glitter says that it fades, then all shades of it will fade. The colors will seem to 'tarnish' until all color is eventually gone. But that will take quite a while, especially if you keep it out of the sun. That's why Art Glitter's german glass glitter is called 'vintage'.

I have several projects I've done that are about 5 years old and look as good as new. There is a type of glass glitter with a special coating that prevents it from fading if you can find it but expect to pay for it! Even after fading it will continue to sparkle, glass glitter has a great look to it. I just love it all!

cc_crafter 12-29-2009 07:08 AM

I'm not much help... I'm a stickle-fanatic. Once I found stickles there was no going back to plain old glue and glitter for me! :D