Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Help! texture plates with CB (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/help-texture-plates-cb-464143/)

mg 10-16-2009 01:41 PM

Help! texture plates with CB

I was told the Stampin' Up texture plates would work with the cuttlebug. No luck for me. Looking for advice. Thank you.

queen bee 10-16-2009 01:45 PM

I sent you a pl also. I think it is the same as the cb embossing folder. A, b cs in folder and B again. Hope that helps.

disstamps 10-16-2009 03:55 PM

I found it really works the best to use the texturz plates with the texturz mat and plate. The mat is soft like a mouse pad, so it gives a little and lets the textured embossing show up better. The texturz plates leave a faint embossing since it only embosses one side of the card stock as compared to using embossing folders which emboss from both top and bottom of the card stock piece. Does that make sense?

Allistamps123 10-16-2009 06:11 PM

Oh, that's why I like my cuttlebug folders better! I just ordered the SU embosslit that's on sale for half price at my monthly workshop. It's the big flower. I have high hopes for it and what a great price. I also want the sweet stem and hi embosslit. I'm so impressed they emboss and cut. HOpe they are awesome and not a disappointment.

mg 10-17-2009 11:33 AM

I guess the texture plates should go under
"I wish I hadn't purchased them."

pbft 10-17-2009 11:40 AM

I've had good results from texture plates before, but just have to keep in mind that the embossing isn't as well-defined. However, I found that if I use one or even two Spellbinders embossing mats (the soft, rubbery mat) and lightly spritz my cardstock with water (emphasis on "lightly"), I got much better results. I do the same thing when I want to emboss my brass stencils in my CB.

willsygirl 10-17-2009 12:39 PM

Yes, I find that a light spritzing gives a more defined image when using texturz plates and folders...and you definitely need to use that silicon mat with texturz plates

mtgchic 10-17-2009 01:50 PM

I use the mat & plates from the sizzix texturz starter kit (I think it's $20 at M's and it comes with 2 additional texturz plates). I've gotten a really good impression using SU paper and using core'dinations paper. I almost like them better than the CB folders since they can cover the whole front of the card! (why, CB, why could you not make the pattern 1/4 inch bigger?!?!)

craftydragonfly 10-20-2009 05:17 AM

ok I just received my texture plates and was wondering what sandwhich combo I need to use? I also bought the Impressions Pad and the Silicone rubber. I just have NO idea in which order to use all of these and with what CB plates...... I will search through the rest of the forum to see if anyone has asked the same! Thanks to anyone who can help me!

craftydragonfly 10-20-2009 05:25 AM

I found my answer on another thread... here is what I got...

CB A plate, sizzix silicone, cardstock, sizzix texture plate, black sizzix texturz pad, and 2 cardstock "shims" .

im going to try this later today and see how it works out!

pjw2855 10-20-2009 06:01 AM

craftydragonfly.......I would use the sandwich you say, but hold off on the shims till you see if you do need the extra thickness. Remember the texture plates are just that....texture plates and not embossing plates/folders. They are meant to give some texture with a subtle design to the cardstock, not deeply emboss as the embossing tools do. You may be trying to get too much from the texture plates and in the process damage your machine with too much thickness. Experiment first to see if the shims are necessary. You shouldn't need them to get the texture.

Patti

star 10-20-2009 06:24 AM

I think the biggest problem with the texture plates is that people expect them to give the same impression as the embossing folders, which they will NOT.
Another way to make the impression POP more is to ink your texture plate. It will give a shadow under the impression making it pop more

craftydragonfly 10-20-2009 06:47 AM

Thanks ladies... I did just try this out and I didnt like having to JAM the plates through with the extra shims... you are right, without the shims it still texturizes, just not as deeply. I am thinking I will try to spritz the paper with water to get a better impression without having to risk damaging my CB. Im still very impressed with the result even with it being a more subtle design. Im willing to trade less impression for full coverage on my card front... the "border" on the CB folders drives me CRAZY!!! haha

TheOtherMeg 10-20-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star (Post 15390243)
I think the biggest problem with the texture plates is that people expect them to give the same impression as the embossing folders, which they will NOT.
Another way to make the impression POP more is to ink your texture plate. It will give a shadow under the impression making it pop more

I think that's it, too -- people expect a deeply-embossed image and it's just not what texture plates do. I have the Fiskars plates as well as the Sizzix plates, and they all work/look the same. It's a much more subtle look.

puppydoggrins 10-22-2009 02:52 PM

I use rubbing alcohol in one of those mini spritzers with my Fiskar's embossing plates. I works just as well as spritzing with water, but dries SOOOOO much faster! I don't know that I'd want to use it for scrapbooks or anything, but it works great for cards.