Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   having a cutter cut your own designs? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/having-cutter-cut-your-own-designs-575160/)

jayneb 07-01-2013 09:18 AM

having a cutter cut your own designs?

I don't have a personal cutter (Cricut, etc), so I'm not sure this is even possible. But, is there a cutter out there that can take a shape/picture/etc that you have designed and cut it out? I'm not sure how it would work-do you need a computer to transfer the design? I have a friend who is looking. Thank you for any advice and help you can give!

HeatherHolbrook 07-01-2013 10:34 AM

The Silhouette (Cameo or Portrait) will do this. It hooks up to your computer and you can use their software to make your own designs or download designs (theirs or your own) into the software and it will cut it. It also has a trace function for tracing around images and you can "print and cut, where you print an image on your printer with registration marks, the Silhouette detects those marks and will cut out around the image. There's a lot you can do with it!

cat_woman 07-01-2013 10:58 AM

I was going to say the same thing as Gale. :)

jayneb 07-01-2013 11:59 AM

Thank you Heather! I will pass this information on!

xayide2 07-01-2013 03:39 PM

I've done a few of my own designs with the Silhouette and the free software that comes with it.

Christine Miller 07-10-2013 04:30 AM

I purchased a Cricut and Sure Cuts a Lot software a short time before all the dissension about using the third party software. SCAL allows for importing and tracing of images and use of files created by oneself or by others (either distributed for free or for purchase).

Since the lawsuit, I think the newer Cricut machines do not work with the SCAL software. So, when my Cricut needs to be replaced, I will be looking for a machine that does intricate cuts and allows one to cut one's own designs.

I would love to hear recommendations from crafters who have used different machines and can address issues such as ease of use, detailed cutting, and cost of the machine.

bdjeepers 07-10-2013 05:04 AM

It's not only possible, it's easy with the Silhouette machines. I own two models and I design and cut extremely intricate designs out of paper, cardstock, vinyl, and fabric. The free software is easy to use, especially if you have any graphics experience at all, and there is a designer edition that turns on extra features in the software. There are well over 9,000 owners at the Silhouette Plus forum who trade freebies they've designed, ask questions and get answers, and they have a gallery to show what they cut. No cartridges are necessary, the designs from Silhouette generally only cost 99 cents, but you can get a subscription which will get you 25 designs for as little as $8 a month if you get the basic subscription when it is on sale for 20% off. You can trace many things, or you can draw your own and fill the images with digital scrapbooking paper. You can use pens to draw in place of the blade, too. The cutters are far more creative than any Cricut, and that forum is full of FORMER Cricut owners.

ladyofcards 07-10-2013 05:43 AM

All of this & more is true about the Cameo. It will cut out a stamped image as well. There are thousands of designs on the Silhouette website. Also many others have FREE beautiful designs that they post on their blogs. You can cut any .svg file using the software. You can make the design ANY size you want also. Think Nestabilities for 99 cents because you can cut things to fit! I bought mine on Black Friday in November for an excellent price & the bundle gave me the Designer edition of the software. I also got a 1 yr. subscription & get files on the Silhouette site for maybe 25 cents each month.

CandyStripe 07-10-2013 09:46 AM

The Sizzix Eclips machine will do all that for you and it cuts beautifully. It's super easy to learn too

Rebecca Ednie 07-10-2013 10:27 AM

The eCraft will do this too with third party software. Bonus, no cutting mats to replace or add new adhesive to! Last I checked, the software that comes with it STILL did not live up to advertised claims. Sad!

craftymomto2 07-10-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdjeepers (Post 20239371)
It's not only possible, it's easy with the Silhouette machines. I own two models and I design and cut extremely intricate designs out of paper, cardstock, vinyl, and fabric. The free software is easy to use, especially if you have any graphics experience at all, and there is a designer edition that turns on extra features in the software. There are well over 9,000 owners at the Silhouette Plus forum who trade freebies they've designed, ask questions and get answers, and they have a gallery to show what they cut. No cartridges are necessary, the designs from Silhouette generally only cost 99 cents, but you can get a subscription which will get you 25 designs for as little as $8 a month if you get the basic subscription when it is on sale for 20% off. You can trace many things, or you can draw your own and fill the images with digital scrapbooking paper. You can use pens to draw in place of the blade, too. The cutters are far more creative than any Cricut, and that forum is full of FORMER Cricut owners.

I just recently purchased my Silhouette Portrait from a 4th of July special they were having, $79.99 off, plus free Designer Edition Software (it's in transit at this moment) and can't wait to receive it. Would you mind sharing the link to the Silhouette Plus Forum? Thank You. I do know that some of Stampin' Up! stamps are svg file now.

uncbballfan 07-10-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2 (Post 20240191)
I just recently purchased my Silhouette Portrait from a 4th of July special they were having, $79.99 off, plus free Designer Edition Software (it's in transit at this moment) and can't wait to receive it. Would you mind sharing the link to the Silhouette Plus Forum? Thank You. I do know that some of Stampin' Up! stamps are svg file now.

Here you go: http://s15.zetaboards.com/Silhouette_Plus/index/

craftymomto2 07-11-2013 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfan (Post 20240659)
Here you go: Error

Thank you, should receive my machine tomorrow, yea!!

craftymomto2 07-11-2013 03:15 PM

Oh, I just check my order and I got the one that holds 12" paper, so that is the Cameo!

from the heart 07-11-2013 07:00 PM

another vote here for the Silhouette Cameo... just a dream to design and cut with or draw with...

mcschmidty 07-13-2013 08:59 PM

I recommend the Make the Cut software- there are on-going updates (free) and it is so awesome. You can download free trials of the MTC and the Sure Cuts alot to see which one you prefer.....but is would be so worth the $$$

Shelly

BathBelle 07-13-2013 11:45 PM

I love Studio and the basic software is free o you can try it out and thn decide if you like it. Inkscape is also free.

KoffeeKat 07-14-2013 01:37 AM

Klic-n-kut will do all this too. It is formerly a professional sign writer's cutter so is pretty versatile. Given the right setting and blade it will cut chipboard and even balsa. It can emboss, punch and write. You can design, scan and trace, print and cut. If you are cutting adhesive vinyl, you can cut to whatever length you want. Widths vary up to 24 inches.

I believe their latest model is the Zing.

Like a PP said, these days it seems only the Cricut limits creativity.

Sassycutter 07-20-2013 01:16 PM

You may want to check out the Silver Bullet cutting machine. It has been rated as #1 in cutting machines and may be purchased at That's Scrap, Inc. The customer service is unparalleled!

QueenOfInkland 07-21-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoffeeKat (Post 20244995)
Klic-n-kut will do all this too. It is formerly a professional sign writer's cutter so is pretty versatile. Given the right setting and blade it will cut chipboard and even balsa. It can emboss, punch and write. You can design, scan and trace, print and cut. If you are cutting adhesive vinyl, you can cut to whatever length you want. Widths vary up to 24 inches.

I believe their latest model is the Zing.

Like a PP said, these days it seems only the Cricut limits creativity.

KNK also has the Maxx (their top of the line) and there is a wireless version (Maxx Air) so no hard-wired connections needed to your computer (up to a certain distance) - it's Bluetooth technology - 12" and 24" widths and I think it's a true statement that currently the Maxx has the most cutting pressure of any cutter on the market (if you want to cut heavier, thicker material). Uses Make the Cut software and the company gets good reviews for their customer service which is really important IMHO.