Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-08-2018, 05:32 AM   #961  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of my stamp positioners pick up paper when using photopolymer stamps - two Misti’s, two Tim platforms. And if you watch well known blogger videos you’ll see the same at times. Some often point it out as they’re working.

As long as you butt the paper into the corner or use Creative Corners to make a corner in a different place on the platform, the cardstock can simply be repositioned where it was and restamped. Hope this helps.

(Conditioning stamps just helps them take ink. I rarely condition.)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2018, 06:13 AM   #962  
Die Cut Diva

Robin, I was going to sat the same. I find that clear stamps seem to grab the paper/cardstock much more than rubber does. Like the idea of taping it down- my brain didn't figure that out, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2018, 06:19 AM   #963  
Pearl-ExPert

Shaz, I only tape when I know the image is going to need several restampings and I don't feel like repositioning between stampings. I recently did a BG for a tag using a Concord and 9th 2-part plaid stamp and I knew I was going to need to re-ink several times to get a clean image. So, tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #964  
Crimping Master

Thanks, ladies I try to always put my paper in the corner just in case - I am glad to hear it's not just me though!! (and not just my platform). I haven't used a rubber cling stamp - I have only a few of them - but I am going to give it a shot and see if it is better. On the subject of conditioning my stamps, I hear some people say they just rub their hand on them when they first get them, some use an eraser, some don't do anything at all. I honestly never knew "why" it was supposed to be done, only "that" it was supposed to be done, haha.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #965  
Glitter Guru

Yes, rubber will be easier. The photopolymer sticking to the paper isn’t what I’d consider bad or “worse than,” just normal. You get used to it after a bit, I’d guess. And Creative Corners, a 6” plastic ruler or whatever you want to use works well, if for some reason you need the cardstock away from a corner. You can even cut chipboard into shapes to butt into the corner, and cardstock against the chipboard. Anything to keep it steady. Enjoy. : )

Last edited by bjeans; 08-08-2018 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #966  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
if for some reason you need the cardstock away from a corner. You can even cut chipboard into shapes to butt into the corner, and cardstock against the chipboard.

Well that's pretty genius Thanks for that tip!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #967  
Glitter Guru

Wait - didn’t Shaz do that? I’d seen it in some blog but thought Shaz may have mentioned it here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #968  
Mad Swapper

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently got a Tim Holtz stamping platform and found that the magnets that come with it don't seem to hold as well as the Misti magnets. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this, if they've used both tools? My Misti magnets always hold down even the thickest card stock with clear stamps, but the card stock shifts and lifts when I use the Tim Holtz version.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #969  
Matboard Maniac

I also recently bought a TH platform......the smaller one.
I’ve found the round magnets don’t hold the paper in place all that well with either the Misti or TH platform. I use heavy cardstock which may be part of the problem. Also, clear stamps can lift the paper st times. Probably need conditioning.
I like the bar magnet, but have not tried it on the TH platform yet. On the Misti the bar can be a bit too thick at times, causing incomplete coverage. When I move the magnet around, I can re stamp the blank spots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2018, 09:05 PM   #970  
Mad Swapper

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
I also recently bought a TH platform......the smaller one.
Iíve found the round magnets donít hold the paper in place all that well with either the Misti or TH platform. I use heavy cardstock which may be part of the problem. Also, clear stamps can lift the paper st times. Probably need conditioning.
I like the bar magnet, but have not tried it on the TH platform yet. On the Misti the bar can be a bit too thick at times, causing incomplete coverage. When I move the magnet around, I can re stamp the blank spots.
I don't have a problem with my Misti, just the Tim Holtz platform. I'm thinking that the Tim Holtz platform top holds the stamps more securely, because my clear stamps sometimes fall off the Misti and I have to press them back on. The stamps I used are all well conditioned, so that's not the problem but I may start using some washi tape to hold down the card stock if I have problems with a particular stamp. Either way, I love being able to re-stamp an image because I used to have the worst problem with partially stamped images...especially background stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2018, 03:27 AM   #971  
Glitter Guru

The round magnets from my Misti’s and Tim’s don’t hold thick cs well, but just the nature of photopolymer stamps. You’ll see cs pull up even on well known blogger videos.

I bought bar magnets if for some reason I need the cs to stay down. Or yes more than two round ones. That’s rare since generally the cs is in a corner and can be snugged back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #972  
Kookie Creator

I've tried the bar magnets and bought a set of 5 rectangle magnets from Hobby Lobby and I'm still frustrated with the paper lifting up.

Last week during PTI's monthly release, I watched a video by Betsy Veldman and it appeared she had a sticky mat (like a ScanNCut mat) lining her platform. Her paper just stuck to it, no magnets used. I had hoped she'd say what she did to her platform but the audio was so low I couldn't hear anything she said.

I ordered a cheap sticky mat from Amazon which turned out to be a thick plastic instead of a thin sheet like the ScanNCut mat. This evening I cut it down to size for the Tiny Tim, backed it with a 2-sided repositionable adhesive sheet and attached it to Tiny. I tested it with a couple of solid clear stamps and it worked fine, both with stamping and the paper not lifting/peeling off easily. I was concerned the paper wouldn't release but it definitely wasn't as sticky as my ScanNCut mats.

I plan to do some multi-layering stamping this weekend and will put it to the test, hopefully I don't run into any issues. If this works out I'm going to do the same to the large platform. Fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #973  
Glitter Guru

You bought neodymium magnets (bar and triangles) and not regular magnets? That would make a difference.

I’ve seen gazillions of videos of cs coming up unless taped, so it’s just been the norm for me with sticky photopolymer stamps, though sometimes bar magnets work. It doesn’t generally bother me, but I could see it being annoying in some cases. (When cs isn’t in a corner, I just use removable tape.) Let us know how it goes, and fingers crossed here too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2018, 05:37 PM   #974  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

You bought neodymium magnets (bar and triangles) and not regular magnets? That would make a difference.

Yep. They like to slam my fingers but not hold the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #975  
Glitter Guru

Ow. I keep picturing a video where Tim Holtz places the magnets in their opposite corners, as if they’re fighters in a boxing ring...

Well keep your fingers safe and report back! {crossing my cat’s paws}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2018, 12:50 PM   #976  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me, photopolymer stamps have been likely to stick to / grab onto the C/S I'm stamping, ever since I began using them. At first I thought it might be an issue between types of inks.

Back when we had only the Stamp-a-ma-jig or nothing at all, I have taught in-class customers to be careful when lifting the block after having stamped with a PP stamp. With a block, it's helpful to either hold down a bit of the underlying C/S with one hand while slowly lifting the acrylic block & stamp. It's sometimes better to use sort of 'peeling' motion when lifting the block after using a PP stamp, just because of the inherent tackiness.

When shifting from acrylic blocks to a stamp positioner, having the image C/S 'cornered' is best, as it allows the best realignment when re-stamping. But ... we still have to be careful with those PP stamps. They're still sticky/tacky. I adore being able to scoot 1 or 2 magnets closer to the spots where the PP is actually going to come in contact the C/S. OMGosh ... I love getting the exact alignment that I want with my Misti! And stamping a complete image or sentiment on watercolor paper or other papers with a texture?? That was headache-on-call before Misti came to my world!

When all else fails, get a cuppa or an icy something, take a little walk, come back in and go after it again with an "I'll get'cha now!" attitude.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2018, 01:03 PM   #977  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received TH stamp positioner yesterday. I took it out the box and I was very pleased with the overall size and weight of the product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2018, 07:52 AM   #978  
Pearl-ExPert

Just read online HERE that the TH platform is being discontinued here in the US and that the settlement involces some agreement for the two companies to work together. Uh, what does this mean? Will Tonic just be marketing the MISTI?

I almost think I should buy a backup TH. I could not go back to the MISTI happily. I know many are loyal fans of it, but I had many issues with it and have been extremely happy with the Tonic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2018, 08:11 AM   #979  
Pearl-ExPert

It isn't even listed on the Tonic USA website anymore, at least I couldn't find it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2018, 08:14 AM   #980  
Glitter Guru

Yeah, there’s a thread and chatter about it on SCS from about six weeks ago. No announcements yet about how they’ll work together - doubt Tonic would market the Misti, though who knows. If you want another Tim platform, they’re still out there but when sold out they’re gone, so time to grab one - or another - if wanted, unless wanting to rider from overseas (for U.S. folks).

I have a large and a small Tim (and a regular and small Misti) and use the small Tim most mostly due to the open sides and my CPR stampedness.

One of my Tims didn’t stamp perfectly in a bottom corner, which wasn’t a big deal (re-re-stamp and seldom put a stamp there), but the settlement prompted me to contact Tonic, send a photo of the gap, and they sent another without having me return the first one, which was donated. (Actually, they first sent me the wrong size so I gave that one away and they sent another!) So another reason to move quickly if you think you might want another, in case it had to be replaced. Rare but happens.

If you google, on-line stores are carrying them.

Last edited by bjeans; 09-02-2018 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: Additional info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2018, 08:52 AM   #981  
Pearl-ExPert

Hard to imagine this notion of "working together" is anything but Tonic saying "Okay, you take the US market and we'll concentrate on the UK and Europe." It's impossible to imagine them creating an entirely new platform together (although Tonic could teach MSP a thing or two about how to make something that doesn't break down with wear) and I can't see them actually carrying the MISTI. Not that I would want one if they did.

I guess I will buy a backup and hope I don't get a dud one. I really find the regular-sized MISTI doesn't work for me, the enclosed sides make it very difficult to work with the size of substrates I am using at this point. And the Memory version is so expensive.

Darn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2018, 10:57 AM   #982  
Glitter Guru

Lydia posted they will be working together, though didn’t say how. Regardless of where you buy it, Tonic will replace if a problem - as long as they still have some in stock. You’d think they’d hold some back for that purpose, but just a guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #983  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, I ordered one off of Amazon. I will be sure to unbox it and check it when I get it.

Funny, the degree of dread I felt upon hearing this news! But that platform is one of the handful of tools that changed the way I work and that I wouldn't want to be without. I had the MISTI some months before I got the Tonic, and used it only sometimes, when I thought I might have a problem getting a good image. Otherwise I still used my blocks (which I now use mostly as weights, to hold things things down temporarily after I glue them). The Tonic changed that. I almost never stamp anything off the platform.

I suppose there are other good platforms out there. But this MSP/Tonic "settlement" might have a ripple effect. Others might not want to do battle with MSP after watching what happened with this case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #984  
Glitter Guru

I still love blocks (weird, I know), though use mainly for tiny sprinklings of stamps. I wish it was possible to buy extra lids for Tim platforms.

I have the newer WRMK platform, and lids can be purchased separately. I didn’t need it and it seemed awkward (pegs in holes) but with a coupon and another discount at Michaels - maybe first time on-line purchase with in-store pick-up? - it was so cheap I nabbed one out of curiosity. Apparently many of the plastes sold separately have cracks in them, and American Crafts, which now owns WRMK, hasn’t stood by the product.

I got rid of the earlier WRMK platform.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2018, 04:11 PM   #985  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I still love blocks (weird, I know), though use mainly for tiny sprinklings of stamps. I wish it was possible to buy extra lids for Tim platforms.

I have the newer WRMK platform, and lids can be purchased separately. I didnít need it and it seemed awkward (pegs in holes) but with a coupon and another discount at Michaels - maybe first time on-line purchase with in-store pick-up? - it was so cheap I nabbed one out of curiosity. Apparently many of the plastes sold separately have cracks in them, and American Crafts, which now owns WRMK, hasnít stood by the product.

I got rid of the earlier WRMK platform.
Definitely true on the WRMK. I was in Michaelís today and they are still selling them cracks and all. You can see cracks emanating from every peg hole. Iím done with the customer service. They claim that they are mold scratches although the all the way through cracks clearly show on the photos Iíve sent. I may add my voice to the Michaelís review section since all my extra lids came online from them. The plates are still usable but hard to say for how long. I also find that some of the plates are a hair off when repeat stamping the same image. Iíve gone back to my TH platforms and Iím thinking of picking up another travel size just in case. When theyíre gone they're gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2018, 04:35 PM   #986  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
Definitely true on the WRMK. I was in Michael’s today and they are still selling them cracks and all. You can see cracks emanating from every peg hole. I’m done with the customer service. They claim that they are mold scratches although the all the way through cracks clearly show on the photos I’ve sent. I may add my voice to the Michael’s review section since all my extra lids came online from them. The plates are still usable but hard to say for how long. I also find that some of the plates are a hair off when repeat stamping the same image. I’ve gone back to my TH platforms and I’m thinking of picking up another travel size just in case. When they’re gone they're gone.

I wonder if Michael’s will take them back from customers. If enough people did, maybe it would make a difference. Some managers would want to send them back.

What you said about stamping being a hair off on some plates makes sense, since the holes have to be big enough to allow the plates to easily slide up and down, but if even a hair too large, that would mean the barest bit of shifting. And it’s not metal to metal; like many things WRMK, it’s plastic to plastic, and that can cause issues. {Thinking of pegs in their wire shaper board, with some being too tight and some too loose.)

For Tim platforms, if push comes to shove down the road, some shops in the UK have good shipping prices to the US.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2018, 01:26 AM   #987  
Die Cut Diva

I must admit, I sort of took the 'working together' part of the statement to imply there will be a joint Tonic/My Sweet Petunia product at some point. Let's just hope they keep the price under control, as I know for many- especially here in the UK- the price of the full size Misti was a deal breaker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2018, 03:32 AM   #988  
Glitter Guru

So did I - think they’d be working together on something, though not another platform. Of course I don’t know anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2018, 05:05 AM   #989  
Pearl-ExPert

I can't imagine what they would be working together on, but I suppose if Lydia says they will be, she would know, being privy to MSP goings on.

I confess, I am well and truly aggravated. I never figured it would go this way. But it's nice to be chatting to you guys again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2018, 08:39 AM   #990  
Glitter Guru

You were missed - glad you’re back, Robin!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2018, 12:52 PM   #991  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I wonder if Michaelís will take them back from customers. If enough people did, maybe it would make a difference. Some managers would want to send them back.

What you said about stamping being a hair off on some plates makes sense, since the holes have to be big enough to allow the plates to easily slide up and down, but if even a hair too large, that would mean the barest bit of shifting. And itís not metal to metal; like many things WRMK, itís plastic to plastic, and that can cause issues. {Thinking of pegs in their wire shaper board, with some being too tight and some too loose.)

For Tim platforms, if push comes to shove down the road, some shops in the UK have good shipping prices to the US.

Always hoping for the perfect stamp press. Makes sense about plastic to plastic on the pegs. The price seemed right with coupons and markdowns. I was slightly outraged at first about it being messed up and I think reviewing it where I bought different pieces of it is the right thing to do. Itís disappointing to have no WRMK acknowledgement or recourse. Seems like in the nine months it took from demoing at CHA and releasing they could have figured it out.

Iím not averse to ordering from the UK if something innovative comes along. Itís the one tool I use ever time I stamp so if one comes out that rings all the bells Iíll be there. Iíve given the early ones away because of storage restrictions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2018, 12:59 PM   #992  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I can't imagine what they would be working together on, but I suppose if Lydia says they will be, she would know, being privy to MSP goings on.

I confess, I am well and truly aggravated. I never figured it would go this way. But it's nice to be chatting to you guys again!

Surprising to me too. I thought Tim and Tonic would be churning out improved versions every few years. It was not to be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2018, 02:37 PM   #993  
Linking Queen

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wonder if the UK shops will be allowed to sell to US addresses?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #994  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
I wonder if the UK shops will be allowed to sell to US addresses?

UK shops can send their products to whoever and wherever they want. Companies they buy products from canít demand their customer lists.

Some of us on SCS purchased the first (large) Tim platform from a shop in the UK when we thought it might not be sold here due to the lawsuit. I spoke with the owner over there, who had wondered why she suddenly got a bunch of U.S. orders all at once! : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM   #995  
Linking Queen

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am aware of that but I wondered if the manufacturer can place a restriction on the vendors as a condition of them getting product to sell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #996  
Glitter Guru

Tonic doesn’t know the name or location of a retail customer a UK owner sells to. It’s different than agreements with distributors who may have sales territories.

If Tonic shipped everything it could be different - like SU does all shipping, so SU would know if a UK demo was breaking an agreement to only sell in the UK, Germany, etc. (And maybe the software wouldn’t even let it get to that point.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2018, 05:01 PM   #997  
Mad Swapper

I bought the TH one last year and love it. It is very sturdy and I've never had problems with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2018, 10:55 AM   #998  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
Definitely true on the WRMK. I was in Michaelís today and they are still selling them cracks and all. You can see cracks emanating from every peg hole. Iím done with the customer service. They claim that they are mold scratches although the all the way through cracks clearly show on the photos Iíve sent. I may add my voice to the Michaelís review section since all my extra lids came online from them. The plates are still usable but hard to say for how long. I also find that some of the plates are a hair off when repeat stamping the same image. Iíve gone back to my TH platforms and Iím thinking of picking up another travel size just in case. When theyíre gone they're gone.
Sorry you're having so much trouble with this stamper. I've personally found the quality of all WRMK products have gone down hill, fast, which is a shame as they come out with interesting tools. I'm very wary of buying anything from them anymore (except for the upcoming jumbo pom pom maker, that I must have!). I don't think I've seen any good reviews on the sewing machine or the typewriter. I wonder if it has anything to do with the sale to American Crafts.

Joann recently had a sale so I bought a back-up Tim and Tiny Tim. Figure I could always sell them if I don't need them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #999  
Pearl-ExPert

I just got my backup. Now I feel I need a backup for the backup, but that's just my crazy kicking in.

I haven't unboxed it yet, so don't know if I got a dud.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #1000  
Glitter Guru

Backups of backups... should I mention the $300 worth of refills for the discontinued pink Tombow tape runner that’s the only tape runner that is comfortable for long periods and balances well in my not-in-perfect-health hand? No, I think not.

On my travel platform it was only the bottom left corner that didn’t love stamping wonderfully, and it wasn’t a huge deal. But when looking at the edge you could see the top didn’t want to touch the base super easily there. I’d guess many people wouldn’t have noticed, which is a reflection of my pickiness, not the many people.
Reply With Quote Likes