Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-09-2006, 03:54 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has anyone used a Crop-A-Dile? How do you like it? *merged*

I went to Archiver's yesterday for Primas and saw the Crop-A-Dile in action. It will set any eyelet size you have and punch holes in 2 sizes 1/8 and 3/16th. It set the eyelet soundlessly and with no effort. Does anyone have this tool? How do you like it?I only have the hammer and setter from MM and was going to get the silent setter but saw this. Here is the link to the website: https://www.archiversonline.com/shop...oductid=648100
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2006, 03:58 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Subscribing to this - I have heard from one lady said she liked her's. I have a 25% off coupon so was going to get it but didn't want it to be like every other eyelet setter when I got home and went back to hammer and setter. So I'd be curious on if anyone else had it too and how you like it.

btw http://www.scrappers-paradise.com has great prices on primas thats where i get all mine from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2006, 04:12 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Those are good prices I paid $6.99 per jar. The Daisy Racks are so cute but I resisted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2006, 04:14 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for asking. I was wondering the same thing. Has anyone tried it yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura7712
I went to Archiver's yesterday for Primas and saw the Crop-A-Dile in action. It will set any eyelet size you have and punch holes in 2 sizes 1/8 and 3/16th. It set the eyelet soundlessly and with no effort. Does anyone have this tool? How do you like it?I only have the hammer and setter from MM and was going to get the silent setter but saw this. Here is the link to the website: https://www.archiversonline.com/shop...oductid=648100
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2006, 05:13 AM   #5  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I went to Archiver's yesterday for Primas and saw the Crop-A-Dile in action. It will set any eyelet size you have and punch holes in 2 sizes 1/8 and 3/16th. It set the eyelet soundlessly and with no effort.
It looks like it only has the reach of a regular punch - is that correct? Can only set near the edge of a page? That would turn me off immediately.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:16 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Default Bought one...

Quote:

and tried using it last night. I'm not sure if I like it or not. For one thing, it is big, and even though I have big hands, it is a little unwieldy to use. The eyelet didn't spread enough and ended up coming out of the cardstock when I put some ribbon through it. I ended up getting out the ol' hammer :( However - it will punch a hole through most anything! I'm sure I just need more practice using it! One more thought - you can't use it in the middle of a scrapbook page because it won't reach that far. Hey, now that I'm writing this, I'm thinking this was a bad impulse purchase!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2006, 05:31 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

I tried it...bought it...and love it! It is well worth the investment!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=37017

Stampin' Up Sr.Supervisor
www.sodanajones.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2006, 06:40 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

The one thing stopping me is the reach. Other than that it does look like a cool tool to have, but I think I'll pass.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2006, 09:30 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat
It looks like it only has the reach of a regular punch - is that correct? Can only set near the edge of a page? That would turn me off immediately.
You're right the reach is not too much farther than a regular punch but I mostly set eyelets toward the edge of the cardstock and I could get out the hammer etc. if I needed to set one in the center. One point is that the reach is adjustable so that you could set it and make your holes a uniform distance from the edge. I do wish it could make a 1/16" hole for brads and those mini eyelets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2006, 09:33 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyboxermom
and tried using it last night. I'm not sure if I like it or not. For one thing, it is big, and even though I have big hands, it is a little unwieldy to use. The eyelet didn't spread enough and ended up coming out of the cardstock when I put some ribbon through it. I ended up getting out the ol' hammer :( However - it will punch a hole through most anything! I'm sure I just need more practice using it! One more thought - you can't use it in the middle of a scrapbook page because it won't reach that far. Hey, now that I'm writing this, I'm thinking this was a bad impulse purchase!!!!
It does seem big and unwieldy but wonder if that decreases with practice. I am concerned about the eyelet falling out, what good is that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2006, 09:55 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyboxermom

I think maybe you didn't squeeze down hard enough when you set the eyelet in your cs. One thing to keep in mind...MM eyelets are HARD and you need to squeeze hard to set them. Regular aluminum eyelets are pretty soft so you don't need to squeeze as hard to set.

I bought this tool and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! Ever since I bought it, I find myself setting eyelets in almost everything AND using up the eyelets that I've bought!!! Yes, you can only punch holes/set eyelets that are near the edge of the paper and it only goes in about an inch away from the edge of the paper.

Personally, I tend to set eyelets in the corners of my papers anyways, so not having a long reach is no big deal. This is an AWESOME tool and I LOVE it!!! I did keep my karen foster eyelet setter but I haven't even used it once since I got my cropadile.

Plus, the cropadile cuts through chipboard like it's regular paper!! it's that easy!!! I have small hands, (I can't even reach octaves on the piano without jumping) but using this tool is EASY and it even punches holes through cardboard ribbon spools like butter!!!! soooooo GREAT! gee, can you tell I love this tool? rofl!

Looking to sell/trade my provo craft silent setter....anyone interested? LOL

*Everyone has an important contribution to make in life. It's just a matter of discovering it.*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2006, 09:59 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnd151
Plus, the cropadile cuts through chipboard like it's regular paper!! it's that easy!!! I have small hands, (I can't even reach octaves on the piano without jumping) but using this tool is EASY and it even punches holes through cardboard ribbon spools like butter!!!! soooooo GREAT! gee, can you tell I love this tool? rofl!
What is chipboard and what do you use it for?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2006, 10:03 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Chipboard is that hard cardboard material that you can find in the back of notepads (to make it sturdy). It's also the front and back cover of those black and white composition books. I'm a stamping scrapper so I tend to use chipboard a lot on my layouts.

I've seen people use notepad chipboard, cereal boxes and composition book covers to cut out chipboard shapes and letters. A lot of sb companies sells acid/lignin free chipboard in different shapes and letters of the alphabet. I LOVE punching holes and setting eyelets in my chipboard letters so that I can thread ribbon through the eyelet as an added embellishment on my chipboard letter.

*Everyone has an important contribution to make in life. It's just a matter of discovering it.*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Chipboard is that hard cardboard material that you can find in the back of notepads (to make it sturdy). It's also the front and back cover of those black and white composition books. I'm a stamping scrapper so I tend to use chipboard a lot on my layouts.

I've seen people use notepad chipboard, cereal boxes and composition book covers to cut out chipboard shapes and letters. A lot of sb companies sells acid/lignin free chipboard in different shapes and letters of the alphabet. I LOVE punching holes and setting eyelets in my chipboard letters so that I can thread ribbon through the eyelet as an added embellishment on my chipboard letter.
Thanks for the info it sounds cool I'll have to try it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2006, 03:25 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

What a great idea I never thought of that LOL. I might have to go get one with my coupon now...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I got it this weekend and I LOVE IT! I wanted to be able to punch bookboard without ruining my punch - it punches just about anything - My dad and my brother-in-law were both caught using it and punching just about anything they could find this weekend!

I was most excited about the snaps! It sets snaps beautifully - plus, this weekend, my local scrapbooking store was selling big sets of snaps $12.50 then 80% off - I stocked up on soo many snaps and eyelets - I think I might actually use them now! I also like that you can set the punch so you can have one nice straight line rather than a crooked one!

It doesn't reach much further than a standard punch, but it is not a standard punch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2006, 07:28 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hm. I tried it this weekend.

Good: cuts chipboard and tin like buttah!

Bad: the width of the grip is bigger than my hand, and I have larger hands; has the same "reach" as a standard punch; trying to set the eyelet was wonky -- it fell off twice before I could crunch it closed

I'm sticking with my silent setter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

So, what is it's maximum reach? 2"? More? Less?
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 09:29 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Just measured, the maximum reach is 1 inch. I do find that if I hold the handle up at the closest part to the punching part, it isn't too big - I think the size gives the great leverage and that is why it can punch just about anything. I had a SU shipping box with the top flaps folded down and punched through two layers perfectly. I also really like that the punch part has a place where you can adjust how deep you want it to punch (no more than an inch), but so that you can have even punching along the side of the paper or whatever. I got this one really for the strength of the punch because I need to punch bookboard and other harder things and I was ruining other punches to do it and I was also very impressed with the snap setting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 09:32 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat
My first reaction also. It won't reach to the middle of a card.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

The great part is you can put a hole a snap or an eyelet in any material...chipboard, tin etc. No it won't reach to the middle of a page, but I can count on one hand the times I've needed to put an eyelet in the middle of a page. If so I will just use the setter I already have or use a piece of paper and glue. This is an excellent product that works well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 03:38 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I bought one too and I really like it. It's going to take some practice for my eyes to get used to where to put it though. It can punch a hole in ANYTHING!

My Gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=20665
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 09:59 AM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Crop-a-dial

Has anyone tried this yet? I just bought it at the Manchester NH Creating Keepsakes Convention and it is too fun!!!!
You can punch through anything (they had a leather belt as a demo!) and it sets eyelets BEAUTIFULLY and quietly!!
I just made 12 swap cards with 2 eyelets each- something I would never have even considered before I bought it!
I would recommend it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 10:07 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

I just bought one on Friday only thing I have done with it so far is run around and see what i could punch holes in LOL. Very cool tool...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 11:35 AM   #25  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

ohhhhhhhh LunarLana said it is a must have!! I have one on order from Cindy Lyles (StarLitStudio) so waiting till she gets them in!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 11:59 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

I have it. It is great! I just can't seem to get shaped eyelets to set well in it. I must be using to much force. I do love this tool, but I am still glad I have the MM Silent Setter as well, that way, I can use it to punch holes anywhere in my layouts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 12:06 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailynnsmom
I do love this tool, but I am still glad I have the MM Silent Setter as well, that way, I can use it to punch holes anywhere in my layouts.
This is why I didn't buy it. I like the versatility of my Silent Setter. My DL bought one, though and she's only 4 houses down. ;) I was impressed with how it cut through tin!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 12:11 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

I bought one at Archiver's during their national scrapbook day events -- it was the first thing I grabbed as I came in! It does take a little research (reading the back of the package) to learn how to set different kinds of eyelets, but man, it most definitely does the trick! I've been punching holes in chipboard, and it seems I barely have to squeeze before the hole is made. It's a must-have!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 03:43 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting! I was curious about it!

Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 03:56 PM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

My friend got one at CK Manchester this weekend too. She was having problems with the knob that closes the eyelet retracking up into the little cube part after she set an eyelet. Anyone else experiencing this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 04:18 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Where to buy, and how much? You see I am taking the bait. Linda Seaman
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 04:38 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

I googled it and found a few posts about it, but only 1 site selling it. Here:

http://www.scrapnsave.com/creysesnpu.html

Wonder if this is likely to show up at Mike's where a 40% off coupon could be used?

It looks like you could only use it near the edge of the paper. How far is the reach?

Janna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 04:40 PM   #33  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this when it first came out in Feb....... its a total must have tool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

How thick of a chipboard can it cut through? Is anyone familiar enough with bookboard to tell me if it would work on it? And can it set other companies' eyelets or do you have to purchase the ones they sell with it? These are the two questions stopping me from running out and buying it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #35  
Mad Swapper

My thing gets stuck too. I have to kinda wack it to get it to come out. I wondered if I just had a defective one. Maybe I will send them an email about it.

It will cut through some pretty sturdy things. They used it to set eyelets in a tin bucket. That was impressive. I'm not sure how thick board book is, so I can't answer that question. But I do know for sure that you can use it for some pretty heavy chipboard like the Basic Grey monograms and stuff. I have their eyelets, but I use others too. I can use all different kinds with it. But, I use to much force on some so I have to get used to that.

Here is a link that shows the company using this tool: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...Memory+Keepers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 05:14 PM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

I just ordered one using the url in post #10. The price is currently $24.99 + $5 S&H making the total $29.99, which is the "original price". I hope it is as good as the reviews here say ;D
Rena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2006, 10:27 AM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

I don't know about the "book board" but at the demo, I punched through a leather belt and that impressed me. She also had a pair of jeans with the pockets decorated with eyelets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2006, 03:53 PM   #38  
Crimping Master

I tried one last Friday. I was having trouble setting a snap. I tried twice. Maybe I don't have the hand strength or was trying too hard.

It did punch holes well, but I was just punching cs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2006, 04:11 PM   #39  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Cindy Lyles (StarLitStudio) has them in her ebay store right now if you want one. She is great to deal with!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Crop-A-Dile-sile...QQcmdZViewItem
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2006, 02:14 AM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

I bought this tool because Archiver's had a "lunchbox looking tin" that they made into a card holder. I think this will be a cute gift idea & they used the crop-a-dile to set large eyelets along the rim.
Reply With Quote Likes