Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is the Big Shot an essential tool?

I know the Big Shot is really cool, and all of the dies, etc. make projects really pop. But it's expensive, and the dies and embossing folders aren't cheap either. Is it really a "must have"? Or can I make beautiful cards and scrapbook pages without it?

Nicole
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

You can absolutely make beautiful cards and scrapbook pages without a Big Shot or any fancy tools! Stamps, ink, and paper are all many of us worked with for a very long time. Go peek around in the gallery for projects made in the early days of SCS and you will see tons of samples using fun folds, ink techniques, designer series paper, fun backgrounds, etc. I bought a Big Shot when it first came out in the SU catalog years ago because I thought it was a must-have, but didn't even take it out of the box for months! I do enjoy it now, but something is a must-have only if it's a must-have for YOU!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 05:33 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Its a must have for me! I rarely make a card without using it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 03:53 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

It does pretty much come down to the style you like to work in. Do you mainly make 'flat' one layer cards,like a stamped and coloured image, or do you want to make cards with lots of layers/embellishments?
Being able to die cut greetings and sentiments can be a huge bonus, it's all about expanding your repertoire really.
Dies and folders need not be that expensive- have a look on **********, and E-bay( cheap dies from China). Many on here have purchased them and we've none of us had cutting issues with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 04:35 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Die cutting is fun, for sure, but there is always going to be that next new thing that you don't have and seems wondrous and amazing. If you feed into that 'gotta have it' monster, it will suck the joy right out of the room.

I'm glad the die cutting thing wasn't a big deal when I first started stamping. I got plenty of joy and mileage out of ink, paper, stamps and ribbon. 'Fussy cutting' was just cutting out an image and it served just fine.

I have, and regularly use, my Cuttlebug, and love it. but one thing I've learned to consider when I see that next new awesome stamp and die set or an amazing new die is to think about how many times I'm honestly going to use it and am I still OK with the cost when I think of the realistic 'per card' cost. (All that being said, at some point in my future, I want to add a Scan n Cut to my craft room. lol!)

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 02-08-2018 at 04:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 05:13 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For me, it is pretty essential. I use die cuts or embossing folders on almost every card. But, when I started stamping decades ago, it didn't exist. So you can certainly do without.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 05:48 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I’d say it’s a “nice to have”, not an absolute “must have”. I have one and do use it but I’m equally likely to make a card without it. There are plenty of other things in my craft room that I’d rescue ahead of my Big Shot, dies and folders if I was forced to choose.

Get yourself a pair of detail scissors that you’re comfortable using and you can cut out all kinds of images - stamps with matching dies are a relatively recent phenomenon and most of us managed fine without them. They can be a great boon for people with dexterity problems who find they can’t use scissors easily. If you don’t fall into that camp and don’t have an absolute need to be using some of the very intricate shapes (lacy edges, script words etc) then scissors will do you fine and there are lots of other ways to have fun and add interest to cards and layouts.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 06:06 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go small first, get a Cuttlebug. Then save up and get a Big Shot. I love both of mine and I use the Cuttlebug at crops. I wish you were near me as I would GIVE you my old Big Shot as I got the Big Shot Plus recently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I have a cuttlebug, which I got used on ebay for $25. (I watched ebay for months before I snagged that deal). It die cuts and embosses great. I would say that it is not essential, but it is REALLY high on my list.

Especially if you do a lot of coloring, you could easily make gobs of cards without embossing or die cutting. Some people purchase die cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 07:53 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had started a thread a while ago about the same thing because I was so torn... I use a Cuttlebug but felt like I was missing out by not having the Big Shot. For me, it seemed like the only real difference was the size of dies and folders you could use. I don't make 3D products, or I haven't yet anyway, so I decided to stick with the Cuddlebug since I really have no need for over-sized dies. And I too - want to add a Scan-N-Cut... I keep adding that spare change from the bottom of my purse into the piggy bank (aka - adorable teal clear glass lantern). Hopefully I'll have enough pennies and dimes to buy it one day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine773View Post
I had started a thread a while ago about the same thing because I was so torn... I use a Cuttlebug but felt like I was missing out by not having the Big Shot. For me, it seemed like the only real difference was the size of dies and folders you could use. I don't make 3D products, or I haven't yet anyway, so I decided to stick with the Cuddlebug since I really have no need for over-sized dies. And I too - want to add a Scan-N-Cut... I keep adding that spare change from the bottom of my purse into the piggy bank (aka - adorable teal clear glass lantern). Hopefully I'll have enough pennies and dimes to buy it one day!
I use Sizzix dies & embossing folders in my Cuttlebug without issue. I bought extended CB plates and use the Bigz XL dies with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 10:27 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a really ancient green Cuttlebug that I got at Michaels probably 10 years ago when they first came out. I use it constantly and it still works very well. I've replaced the cutting plates a few times, but that's it.

I love using dies on most of my cards, and rarely ever make a no layer card, so for me a die cutting machine is essential. I like to fussy cut, so I have no need for the dies with matching stamps.

About a year or so ago, they had a Big Kick (similar to the Big Shot) on sale at Tuesday Morning for only $29.00! I dashed over and got one, and it's still in the box, unused so far. When my Cuttlebug finally bites the dust, if ever, I have a back up. However, the Big Kick/Big Shot is larger and heavier, so I may end up getting another Cuttlebug since I've been so pleased with mine.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 06:27 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a electric machine due to disability and dexterity issues but the thing i first started doing with card making was paper tole maybe called decoupage in some places does not use a machine at all and is relatively inexpensively to do and i love the hearty crafts easy 3 D paper toles u get 10 in a pack for about maybe $8US or cheaper and all you need is foam squares card bases or make your own and thats it they're already cut out for u so hard part done for years ive used peel off stickers and still do!
Sometimes i just do a papee tole and peel off but since i got the machine ive been able to add dry embossing using folders and also die words like happy birthday etc
They now have a cheaper version of the design and cut its same as scan and cut without the scanner and its like a $200 difference so if u already have a scanner/have ability with laptop or whatever u dont need to pay as much!
But for now im sticking to the dies and stamps cos it makes it a lot quicker though honestly i find hard to line up sometimes but im getting better at it!
I like a bigger machine because takes a full sheet of card stock can cut loads at once (i make and sell cards for charity) so it helps me a lot but definitely not where i started
I love colouring stampes images so i bought zig brushables but u can just use colouring or water colour pencils too
My wish list has the go press and foil machine (need a die machine to use it)
And some dye based markers probably clean colour brush markers/arteza pens arteza i found cos of jennifer mcguire i love her channel
I also don't have a misti/stamping tool other than the fiskars stamping press and so my list is long lol!!
Good luck in deciding
I love pop up/special fold cards and some im sure u can do with a score tool and bone folder however im not able to do that so majority of my dies are special pop up dies that do all sorts
Karen burniston is my favourite die maker was part of Elizabeth craft designs but is now got own store
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2018, 12:08 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Heart to southgirl

Quote:

Originally Posted by southgirlView Post
Go small first, get a Cuttlebug. Then save up and get a Big Shot. I love both of mine and I use the Cuttlebug at crops. I wish you were near me as I would GIVE you my old Big Shot as I got the Big Shot Plus recently.
I used to sell Stampin' Up! YEARS ago. When they introduced the Big Shot I could not afford one. Several SU demonstrators were selling their old black & teal Big Shots in the buy/sell/trade forum on here. I bought it along with several dies and embossing folders. I added to my collection of dies, but nothing matched SU stamps. So I eventually sold my Big Shot along with all of my dies & embossing folders.

2 weeks ago I signed up with SU again because I knew it was Sale-a-bration time with extra goodies in the kit, but I don't plan on doing any parties or classes in the near future. My cards (and scrapbook pages) will be just for me. And I'm hoping to sell my handmade cards along with my homemade soy candles & homemade soaps.

I would LOVE a Big Shot again, but it just isn't in our budget right now. I'm having surgery in a few weeks and that will just add to our already mounting dr bills, lol. I have 6 kids...one with Type 1 diabetes and her disease costs us a lot of money. :-(

If you are serious about giving me your old Big Shot, would you be willing to ship it to me (the one I bought originally the lady sent through the post office)? I would be more than willing to pay not only shipping, but some extra.

Nicole
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2018, 12:11 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Also, if shipping your old Big Shot doesn't appeal to you...I see a Cuttle Bug on Amazon...will those use SU dies? What about embossing folders? I know NOTHING about Cuttlebugs.

Cricut 2003782 Cuttlebug Die Cutting & Embossing Machine
$67.30

I tried posting the link but it wouldn't let me.

Nicole
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2018, 01:27 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by giddyupgomamaView Post

I tried posting the link but it wouldn't let me.
You'll need a few more posts under your belt before you can post a link (I think its 10) - it's just so that people (or bots) can't sign up specifically to post spam, a few posts makes sure folk are genuine members before they can post links. Gallery comments count towards your total ;-)

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2018, 03:23 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Heidi made a really useful comment- if you look on E-Bay, there are many people selling die cuts, so you could add stash to your collection without having to buy a machine & dies. I've bought them in the past when I liked a particular die cut, but knew I wouldn't use it often enough to justify buying the die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2018, 04:42 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

When I began card making I was sure I would not do die cutting. And now I die cut more than stamping, at least lately. But you absolutely, positively, do not need to die cut to make beautiful cards. A pretty card won't make up for breaking-the-budget stress.

BTW, I think functionality of the "regular" Big Shot and Cuttlebug for all practical purposes is the same, with the exceptions of super-sized stuff - which I've never run across, though some do. That's what the employees/instructors at my first LSS explained. I used both there for make-n-takes, classes, fooling around when deciding, and ended up with a Cuttlebug due to size, since it sat on the corner of my computer desk.

Annoying moment: the two machines are so similar that neither could cut two full coverage dies well.

I think the Big Shot ended up with the cool kids factor since more famous card makers use them in videos. While you can find Cuttlebugs cheap, and if you're careful plaste can last a long time, dies can be expensive.

An alternative: if you want to use smaller dies as accents on cards, there are mini die cutting machines like the SideKick. Or a Cuttlebug with small dies.

Last edited by bjeans; 02-09-2018 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2018, 05:10 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Yes, you can still make beautiful cards without a BS.

For me It seems i NEED a die cut machine!

I use my machine for every card as Im not able to make a card without using an embossing folder! I have a cuttlebug and it's still going strong after 10 years!

I still love and use my punches too!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 02-09-2018 at 05:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2018, 06:11 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Like Heidi I bought my Cuttlebug on Ebay, probably 8-10 years ago. And I would say 75% of the embossing folders and dies I have were purchased with 50% discount coupon from Michael's or Joann's, or from Goodwill, or Tuesday morning-in other words, heavily discounted. Using the embossing folders allows me to vary the look of my plain colored cardstocked in interesting ways. And the dies are mostly basic shapes,(circles, stitched retangles, hearts) used to "frame" a stamp. Necessity? No. Nicety? Definitely. Doesn't take up much space, easy to pull out when I need it. To each his own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2018, 06:28 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Currently, Tuesday Morning has the Big Shot for $49.99. Earlier in the week noticed at least one store still had 3. Use my now very old Big Kick for almost every card. Love the dry embossing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2018, 08:28 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I've had two Big Shots and both broke before I'd had them a year. If I had it to do over, I would definitely buy a Cuttlebug but never a Big Shot. I'll probably never stop my rant about the plates for both warping way too fast no matter what I do to avoid that. The price came down quite a bit a few years ago so i really stocked up on plates! I tried the bit of flattening them in the oven, but it was a HUGE pain in the neck that sometimes worked and most times didn't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2018, 10:57 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

No, the BigShot or any die cutter is not an essential tool. There are so many talented cardmakers in the industry who have no interest in die cutting.

I know that there are some stampers who feel that die cutting is taking away from creating a traditional stamped card.

I love to die cut. I love die cutting more than stamping. Yes, it is an expense. I can throw a fit about the expense. I just recently had one of those fits trying to figure out all the plates I needed for my BigShot. Have any of you gone to Sizzix's site and looked at all the plates? It is freaking confusing and overwhelming.

Now, I have my plates figured out and have the ones I need. That is the beauty of die cutting. For example the plates I need another die cutter would not need in her arsenal.

I am frugal. For the longest time I felt thin rule dies were cost prohibitive for my budget. I used my die cut machine with steel rule dies to cut my heavy materials like metal, & plastic. I also loved to cut specialty papers.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to emboss.

I know I am going to get the side eye. I didn't really start working with thin rule dies until I could get them from Ebay China sellers. That helped me set a price point I am comfortable spending.

Advice on saving money with die cutting if this is something you want to do.

-Don't get sucked into different machine hype. If you only have space for a Cuttlebug buy that don't get the Big Shot for example. You don't need to own all the machines. Buy the one that fits your needs.

-Cutting Plates They can be turned and flipped over to minimize damage. Keep a clean set for embossing. Have a set for cutting. I keep a rotation of six plates. Two sets for cutting, One for embossing. I know that is probably overkill. I cut delicate fabrics and I don't want to use a plate that I just cut glitter paper.

Look for clearance deals & sales for your dies. Buy for your personality and not what is trendy. For example I don't use a lot of basic shapes. I like the quirky dies- lace shoes, Hello Kitty, birds. Other ladies would never use quirky dies and would prefer to have several sets of good shapes.

Buy the dies for the materials you need. If you are going to quilt don't buy thin rule dies. You can't cut quilting materials with them easily. No, thin rule dies is going to cut six layers of fabric at one time. A steel rule die would.

Last you mentioned you scrapbook. A lot of us in the scrapbook community do own both machines. Most scrapbookers tend to trend to an electronic machine like the Silhouette Cameo, Cricut Explore. Cardmakers tend to trend to manual die cutters.

Hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2018, 01:41 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

DeeAnn, I'm with you & the China dies! I don't buy ones that I can see are clearly someone elses design- back last Autumn when I had a look, there were dies exactly the same as Tims Witch&Cat, and spooky house. However, if it's one that is similar to what I'm looking for but is discontinued by the original maker, then I have no problem. But there are so many on there that are like none I've ever seen- whether that is just because we have fewer choices & manufacturers in the UK I don't know- but when I can get a die for a couple of pounds or less I'm not going to argue.
Reply With Quote Likes