Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Gyro-cut - I want one LOL (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/gyro-cut-i-want-one-lol-597517/)

QueenOfInkland 03-14-2015 02:53 PM

Gyro-cut - I want one LOL

Just found out about this nifty little tool in an email from Marco's Paper today saying that they're now selling it and you can see it in action in the video below!

http://www.marcopaper.com/products.p...t=Gyro%252dCut

One think I love about Marco's is that Greg is known to offer items for sale just because his customer's want them. Now THAT'S customer service :)

I have a bunch of different cutters and cutter systems with swivel blades (and I know that I'm not alone) and none of them ever worked for me. I'm all about 'easy peasy'.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U-nsOqJFGLc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

muscrat 03-14-2015 06:04 PM

I want one too! LOL

sprtchick 03-14-2015 09:26 PM

Ordered the thing with extra blades. I will be gone all week for a funeral so not sure when I will get to use it. Looks like a very handy tool.

ailhelen 03-14-2015 10:29 PM

cant wait to hear how people go with it. I am shocking at using the scalpel and tried to use the set up I think was a Fiskars where you would follow the outline which was made from hard plastic. Wow, bit vague there but anyway could not master at all and just tore cardstock left right and centre. Ended up donating to charity so someone else could go made trying to use it.
Will now wait and see if it is as easy as he made it look.....

stamphappy1650 03-15-2015 10:21 AM

I Like

some of the paper he cut looked more like vinyl than paper or is it just me. Also, looks like his paper was kind of stcky as he peeled it off the mat. I wonder how it works if the paper slides?

darlenemcg 03-15-2015 10:58 AM

Gyro-Cut

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650 (Post 20924753)
I Like

some of the paper he cut looked more like vinyl than paper or is it just me. Also, looks like his paper was kind of stcky as he peeled it off the mat. I wonder how it works if the paper slides?

I thought I heard him say to use a sticky mat...maybe it was in the video when I did a search; the paper he's cutting does look thin. Also, the blade looks like the one used in my KNK so hopefully it cuts thicker card stock just as good.

muscrat 03-15-2015 11:03 AM

I recall seeing spray adhesive. He probably sprayed the sheet to keep it in place. If you've ever tried cutting anything with a cutting tool, it's key to have it stay in place when you are cutting.

cat_woman 03-15-2015 11:06 AM

I've had a little device similar to this for years. Its called EZ Cutter. Its pen shaped with swivel blade and has quite a few different templates. I don't use it that often, but every once in a while when i don't want to start up my Zing, I pull it out to cut circle or oval. They show it using a sticky mat, but in my experience with blades of this sort, it works better on a glass cutting mat. Perhaps you could use quilters basting spray to make a glass mat tacky??

Copperkids 03-15-2015 11:44 AM

This is jumping to the top of my wish list.

Anemone 03-16-2015 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650 (Post 20924753)
I Like

He specifically mentioned that some of it was vinyl - as in, it was strong enough to cut vinyl and not just paper.
Also, near the beginning of the video, he said that you needed a self-healing cutting mat and temporary spray adhesive. So I would assume that all the papers he was cutting had been sprayed with said adhesive.
This intrigues me, but............ right now I am repeating over and over - I do not need another cutting system, I do not need another cutting system.....

stamphappy1650 03-16-2015 05:15 PM

Thanks - I think I'll wait and see how it goes. I'm like you - I do not need....

Copperkids 03-17-2015 02:26 PM

Well I caved in and bought from Marcos paper. I was really thinking then my son will not cut his hand cutting his fingers. He loves to use my exacto knife for cutting stuff - what stuff?? You ask---well whatever stuff a boy thinks to cut!!!

QueenOfInkland 03-17-2015 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperkids (Post 20927498)
Well I caved in and bought from Marcos paper. I was really thinking then my son will not cut his hand cutting his fingers. He loves to use my exacto knife for cutting stuff - what stuff?? You ask---well whatever stuff a boy thinks to cut!!!

Hi there. IF you don't mind, it would be great if you'd give us your impressions once you get this and try it out.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
And AMBER, if and when you get yours out and use it, would love to hear what you think, too.

dottiejdavis 03-18-2015 02:57 AM

The question of cutting regular cardstock came up and that I am curious about. 110lb, or 80lb cardstock is thick and may be a challenge to cut with this device. Also cutting paper dulls blades a whole lot faster than plastic, as he was demonstrating on. I would like to hear other input after they've taken the plunge to see if I "need" one, too. I purchased a little tiny cutter, can't remember the name, years ago, that cut in little channels but you had to constantly reshift it to change directions or even to continue....anyway, I never used it again. but those plastic dies could be used again with this cutter...that's a plus! I think this product is really pricey, but just coming out on the market somebody needs to recoop their invention costs. I will wait.

UnderstandBlue 04-01-2015 02:13 PM

I got mine and video'd the whole thing from taking it out of the package to using it. It's amazing. I mentioned you in the video Kathy - you enabler!!

Understand Blue: Can I Get You a Cup of Hot Bean Water?

UnderstandBlue 04-01-2015 02:13 PM

Also, it's completely ambidextrous

Copperkids 04-01-2015 03:15 PM

Hi everyone !! Well my gyro cut FINALLY came. It literally took 15 days from ordering to arriving. I ordered from Marcos paper - everyone here raves about it but I was not impressed. Overall I like the cutter. I haven't had much time to really use it. Yet. ( have a big test next week-aaaah) I think it will be a handy tool and the cost was not too bad compared to other cutters.

QueenOfInkland 04-01-2015 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlue (Post 20941176)
I got mine and video'd the whole thing from taking it out of the package to using it. It's amazing. I mentioned you in the video Kathy - you enabler!!

Understand Blue: Can I Get You a Cup of Hot Bean Water?

Awesome, Lydia. What a great job reviewing this gadget!!!

And you MADE MY DAY, Lydia, I was so tickled that you mentioned me (enabler that I am and that we ALL are......it's just how we all roll bwahahaha). That was way cool!

I am one of your YouTube channel subscribers and I LOVE your videos :)

upnseams 04-01-2015 05:27 PM

I am curious as to the different types of mediums it will cut. Or is it just vinyl like he ws cutting.

QueenOfInkland 04-06-2015 05:33 PM

I got my Gyro-cut today and just checked it out quickly (I'll play with it more this weekend) and I love how smoothly it handles curves and shapes. I used it on a kind of heavy, glossy junk mail postcard and it cut through easy and a nice, clean cut - I was impressed. I used it on 110# inexpensive cardstock. I had to use more pressure but the cut was easy and smooth and this would be the type of cardstock that I would cut with this tool, so I'm very pleased with this result. I tried it on my Neenah 110# cover and I had to press really hard and it caught in a few places and I really didn't get it to cut all the way through except in a few areas BUT I was doing this in a hurry and standing up (which is not how I craft). However, if it cannot cut my Neenah cover, that is no issue for me because I use that strictly for card bases; I tried this tool on the Neenah mainly out of curiosity. All in all, I'm very happy with this purchase since I have multiple cutters with rotating blades to cut shapes and they pale badly in comparison with the Gyro-cut.

Dragonwold 04-07-2015 02:00 PM

How would it do with fussy cuts?

Annecards 04-14-2015 09:04 AM

Lydia, thanks for the video! I had completely forgotten about the Gyro-Cut, guess I was on the fence. I've purchased so many types of cutting knifes, I decided to wait for a review on SCS. Just placed my order, and can't wait to get it.:cool:

Chris Ice 08-22-2017 05:35 PM

Just bought this, it's August 2017

Am I using it incorrectly or is it not as sharp as when it originally was launched? I used it on an image stamped on Whisper White.
Anyone get it recently?

bjeans 08-23-2017 05:07 AM

The part that you hold appears to be roughly as narrow as a standard thin pen - thinking of the type from shops, docs, vets for giveaways. Is that accurate? (I realize it's not the same shape.)

While in the video he refers to the design as ergonomic, he might mean it's good for right- and left-handers, not actually ergonomic in the sense of a wider, comfortable grip.

I can't comfortably use thin pens due to a minor, permanent injury that now has a bit of arthritis in my lower thumb joint at the palm, close to the wrist. Pinching motions and I don't get along. Thoughts? Thanks.

Beth

binx 08-23-2017 05:44 AM

Since this is back at the top of the forum, guess it's going to get the attention of a whole new group, including me.

So, my questions are: 1) has anyone purchased one recently; and 2) is it safe to use on plastic stencils?

meisu4 08-23-2017 05:54 AM

I had never heard of it until I rad these most recent posts. I'm impressed! The left/right use and rotating blade look like it makes things much easier to cut.

Chris Ice, how well did it cut (or not cut) the Whisper White? Did you glue the cardstock down like he shows in the video?

Do you think someone with "bigger muscles" would have an easer time using it?

Chris Ice 08-23-2017 03:21 PM

I didn't have success with cardstock

Quote:

Originally Posted by meisu4 (Post 21522846)
I had never heard of it until I rad these most recent posts. I'm impressed! The left/right use and rotating blade look like it makes things much easier to cut.

Chris Ice, how well did it cut (or not cut) the Whisper White? Did you glue the cardstock down like he shows in the video?

Do you think someone with "bigger muscles" would have an easer time using it?

Yes to your question about gluing my paper down with a light spray adhesive on a self-healing mat.
I watched about 5 videos before I bought it and at least 6 more after to determine if I was missing something.

First I tried 110 lb cardstock with stamped images, no luck.
Second I tried 80 lb cardstock in fact it was Whisper White Stampin Up which is what I use most of the time. It worked only if I pressed VERY hard and retraced some areas twice. (Would be easier to fussy cut with scissors)
Third, I tried it on magazine pages, it worked fine on those.
Fourth, I tried it on sticker paper and it worked fine on that.
I sent an email to The Crafty Products Company in the UK and I am waiting to hear back from them before I send it back. I am hoping that maybe I got a dull blade in my tool and that will take care of the issue. I really wanted to love this tool!
If you just cut stickers or thin plastic or magazine images it would work fine but I am trying make fussy cutting stamped images on cardstock less work.
The engineering is great and the blade swivels beautifully.

bjeans 08-23-2017 04:26 PM

Even if it would work for me ergonomically (and I'm guessing not), breathing in spray adhesive isn't my favorite thing for me or the animals. (Finally something I was almost enabled to buy and I turned away - an historic moment!)

wavejumper 08-23-2017 05:49 PM

gee it looks cool. One could just tape down the sides of the paper Bjeans. :)

I will be interested to see how this turns out. Please let us know.

bjeans 08-23-2017 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumper (Post 21523211)
gee it looks cool. One could just tape down the sides of the paper Bjeans. :)

I will be interested to see how this turns out. Please let us know.

After watching other videos, I'd guess having an all-over adhesive might work best with this type of tool. Regardless, it appears too narrow to be comfortable in my hand (see earlier post). : )

wavejumper 08-23-2017 06:05 PM

That's true. I got a little myopic there.

tigerlily55 08-24-2017 06:17 AM

Sounds like a much, much, cheaper alternative to the Scan&Cut. Very tempting. It might be worth the money just to see if it does even half of what it says.

jukie 08-24-2017 06:20 AM

cool tool, I actually have some pencils are the same concept, strange to use at first but I love them now in my craft room.

mine are pink (because that makes a huge difference on how they work lol) and similar to these

http://www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk/...le_pencil.html

darlenemcg 08-27-2017 11:29 AM

So I've had this tool for a while and rarely use it. It's not that easy to cut out stamped images (I'm not a good tracer) with it and you definitely have to secure your paper so it doesn't move (i.e., on a cricut mat). For thicker card stock like SU you have to apply a bit of pressure cut.

Chris Ice 09-02-2017 05:08 PM

returning mine

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Ice (Post 21523146)
Yes to your question about gluing my paper down with a light spray adhesive on a self-healing mat.
I watched about 5 videos before I bought it and at least 6 more after to determine if I was missing something.

First I tried 110 lb cardstock with stamped images, no luck.
Second I tried 80 lb cardstock in fact it was Whisper White Stampin Up which is what I use most of the time. It worked only if I pressed VERY hard and retraced some areas twice. (Would be easier to fussy cut with scissors)
Third, I tried it on magazine pages, it worked fine on those.
Fourth, I tried it on sticker paper and it worked fine on that.
I sent an email to The Crafty Products Company in the UK and I am waiting to hear back from them before I send it back. I am hoping that maybe I got a dull blade in my tool and that will take care of the issue. I really wanted to love this tool!
If you just cut stickers or thin plastic or magazine images it would work fine but I am trying make fussy cutting stamped images on cardstock less work.
The engineering is great and the blade swivels beautifully.

Well, I wrote to the UK company over a week ago and hoped that my blade was dull but never heard from them. Back it goes, sad:(

staceylovespaper 09-17-2017 09:38 AM

If anyone is interested, I have a barely used one I can sell for $12, it has the cutter and 2 extra blades, with shipping in the lower 48 states. If you live elsewhere I can get a shipping quote with your zip