Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   guillotine (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/guillotine-445248/)

RIRed2 06-28-2009 09:08 AM

guillotine

Does any one use a guillotine for paper cutting? If so, could you tell me what brand you use and why you like it? :D

53queenbee 06-28-2009 09:13 AM

TONIC and, yes, I am yelling! It is the best and I have paid for and still have them all. I am kicking myself for not getting the thing years ago.

SherryLC05 06-28-2009 10:52 AM

I also have a Tonic Guillotine cutter and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!

gram2boyz 06-28-2009 11:13 AM

I'm left handed, so I've always avoided these cutters cuz they can't be used left handed! I've always liked the rotary cutters best.

RIRed2 06-28-2009 12:28 PM

Thanks Linda and Sherry, I just ordered mine :) 31 dollars.

rj77 06-28-2009 12:30 PM

You'll be happy that you did. I love mine (also a Tonic), no more shredded mess to clean up!

nancystamps 06-28-2009 02:34 PM

I have the X-acto 12" laser trimmer. I love it! Here's a link if you want to check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/X-ACTO-Heavy-L...6228374&sr=8-1

polargirl 06-28-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIRed2 (Post 14491367)
Thanks Linda and Sherry, I just ordered mine :) 31 dollars.

Where did you order it from? I want to get a new paper cutter too, but really want one where can keep the paper straight. Does the tonic have 1/8" measurements??

row4d 06-28-2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polargirl (Post 14494078)
Where did you order it from? I want to get a new paper cutter too, but really want one where can keep the paper straight. Does the tonic have 1/8" measurements??

The SU! one (made by Tonic) does -- and 1/16" as well! BEST stamping tool I ever bought! :mrgreen:

kelsluvs2scrap 06-28-2009 07:11 PM

I have the Tonic 12" trimmer with the 6" base and LOVE IT!! It cuts straight every time, no blades to replace, can travel with me, and can cut the smallest sliver of paper. I went through a lot of trimmers and was so happy to find this one. If you don't travel with your trimmer, get the 12" base.

diannep575 06-29-2009 03:45 AM

Have it! LOVE it!!! I'm left handed and I've adjusted....

SherryLC05 06-29-2009 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelsluvs2scrap (Post 14494305)
I have the Tonic 12" trimmer with the 6" base and LOVE IT!! It cuts straight every time, no blades to replace, can travel with me, and can cut the smallest sliver of paper. I went through a lot of trimmers and was so happy to find this one. If you don't travel with your trimmer, get the 12" base.

I have the 6" base too and it is just fantastic! I love that it self-sharpens!!

$31 is a great price too!

Phantom 06-29-2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Exactly what she said!! And adding the little extension is a piece o' cake too. Love this thing!! I was so sick of my Fiskars track cutter... messed up lots of cardstock and DP with that one.

I got mine through SU - more than $31 ($45.95 at SU), but that $ did go towards my benefits so it was fine with me :) .

You can't go wrong with the Tonic guillotine cutter!!

cbet 06-29-2009 08:39 AM

Another vote for the Tonic guillotine - I have the 12" base, got it at Joann.com when they had a good % off on cutting tools, so I paid less than $30 for it. Now my cuts are always even.

It is a big honking thing, but I was so tired of cutters with extension arms that had a joint right at the point I needed to be measuring. I plan on getting one of their smaller cutters to use when crafting away from home, since I'm so happy with the big one.

kimz1959 06-29-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

I have this one also and love it too! I bought it because my Creative Memories cutter wouldn't cut my PTI paper cleanly

jutta 06-29-2009 02:12 PM

guillotine cutter

I have a Fiskars guillotine cutter that I bought at Sam's about 6 years ago. I wasn't doing that much stamping, but I was with my friend and SHE was buying one, so I did, too. Am I ever glad I did!. It was $25 bucks and a great buy. Later, I saw them at HL and Mike's for $74! It cuts cleanly down to 1/16" and has a 12 x 12 base. there's nothing like having good tools! I recently had to trim the insides of 200 wedding programs so they wouldn't protrude from the outside of the program, and that trimmer made it a cinch!

Jutta

polargirl 06-29-2009 07:06 PM

Thanks everyone for the help and info. I just ordered a tonic 12" from Photo Alley for $34.65 plus shipping. BTW, there are many recommendations for this cutter on-line too.

NikiE 06-30-2009 07:19 AM

I have a tonic guillotine, too, and love it!

Lisa Loiselle 06-30-2009 07:32 AM

Another vote for Tonic. I got mine from JoAnn.com, and just ordered another one from them last week for a friend. I used a coupon and with tax & shipping it was $34.11. Great deal!!

OCDstamper 07-01-2009 01:11 PM

Another Tonic fan here! I have purchased about every trimmer out there trying to find a good one and this is it! I didn't think that I would like a guillotine trimmer and that it would cut crookedly, but this one is great! Good luck!

Sharmill 07-01-2009 01:41 PM

I have a question....how many sheets of cardstock can be cut at one time with the 'tonic'?

scrapaliciousleo 07-01-2009 01:49 PM

LOVE MY TONIC!

ldenhaan 07-01-2009 01:56 PM

My Tonic was great at first, but now it is cutting crooked - my corners aren't square. I'm not sure if its because the top is crooked or if the blade is pulling the paper (I've held the paper as hard as I can). Any similar experiences or ideas?

I really do love the clean cuts, and really appreciate being able to make sliver cuts. I just want it to go back to straight cuts!

stampinsecretary 07-01-2009 04:10 PM

Another vote for Tonic cutter!! I love it!!!

Phantom 07-01-2009 04:58 PM

Something funny.... I use Gmail and usually (almost always!) advertisements come up on the right-hand sidebar related to topics in the email I'm reading.... Guess what comes up for email notification of new posts on this thread about guillotines?! Absolutely nothin' LOL!!!

I just thought that was funny.. . . and something of a relief!

ETA: I can definitely cut through at least two sheets of cardstock and three sheets of DP!!

ShariW 07-01-2009 04:59 PM

Another shout-out for Tonic. They stand behind their product big time. I only use one piece of paper - tried more than one, but no matter how strongly I pushed down to hold the paper, it just didn't cut well. It is the straightest cutter I've owned and I've had several. Can't go wrong! :)

Haligonianstamper 07-01-2009 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldenhaan (Post 14517495)
My Tonic was great at first, but now it is cutting crooked - my corners aren't square. I'm not sure if its because the top is crooked or if the blade is pulling the paper (I've held the paper as hard as I can). Any similar experiences or ideas?

I really do love the clean cuts, and really appreciate being able to make sliver cuts. I just want it to go back to straight cuts!

I seem to be having the same problem now..and can't decide whether I perhaps should try the Marvy rotary cutter...my girlfriend swears by it....:confused::confused::confused:

doxiegal 07-01-2009 07:18 PM

My 12" Tonic guillotine is "off" a bit so I am not really happy with it. I called the company and they said they would send me a new one and a postage paid return label for mine. I could not believe it - they sent me a USED one that frayes the paper when it cuts. It was also dirty. I've emailed them twice and they never returned my phone call.

Tenn 07-01-2009 07:48 PM

Tonic, by far, is the best.

emsmomthestamper 07-05-2009 05:38 PM

:}

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancystamps (Post 14492154)
I have the X-acto 12" laser trimmer. I love it! Here's a link if you want to check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/X-ACTO-Heavy-L...6228374&sr=8-1

This is what I have and I have tried most all out there.
Love it!

Nicole's Mom 07-05-2009 10:30 PM

I have a heavy duty guillotine paper cutter that I ordered many moons agon through Dick Blick. To be honest the brand is slipping my mind as I type. It can cut through ten sheets or more at a time. This is one you don't travel with but will have the rest of your life. It is large in size at 24 inches across. It is costly at around 200.00 dollars. It is not for everyone but a purchase I will never regret.

I also have the smaller Fiskars guillotine cutter that is nice to travel with.

I can not get use to the other type cutters at all. I have also had a rotarty cutter and I hated it so much I tossed it out.

For cheap and light you can't beat Fiskars.

chloe x 07-06-2009 07:03 PM

don't buy Tonic 12" - cuts crooked every time!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by doxiegal (Post 14520606)
My 12" Tonic guillotine is "off" a bit so I am not really happy with it. I called the company and they said they would send me a new one and a postage paid return label for mine. I could not believe it - they sent me a USED one that frayes the paper when it cuts. It was also dirty. I've emailed them twice and they never returned my phone call.

I was afraid of that kind of reaction from the company, so I have not called them about my 12"base Tonic. It also cuts crooked and the clear safety bar always gets caught under the blade arm.

I've tighten the screws on the safety bar but it won't back off from under the blade arm. I have pull it back each and every time!

I paid $50 for mine a few years ago and have been dealing with that issue still. I would not buy one with out taking it out of the box and testing it first.