Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Grand Caliber vs. Big Shot Pro (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/grand-caliber-vs-big-shot-pro-519964/)

binx 02-10-2011 06:05 AM

Grand Caliber vs. Big Shot Pro

I guess it will soon be time for me to break out the big bucks and purchase an extra-large die cutting machine. As I understand it, both of these will cut the Spellbinders' grands dies. Will they both also cut the large dies designed for the Pro? (forget what they're called, but you know the ones I mean)

Is one machine inherently better than the other? Or is it a matter of preference? OR is there another machine I should consider? Is there a comparison chart on blog somewhere?

I know there are videos available, but I really need a comparison more than a how-to.

Oh, if you have any knowledge here, please help me find the right machine for large dies. Sure would like to get the right machine the first time. ;)

P.S. Sorry I misspelled "Calibur."

khogan 02-10-2011 06:43 AM

I've never used the Grand Calibur, but I own a Big Shot Pro. Both machines will cut the large thin-style dies (think Nesties). The Grand Calibur will not cut the thicker sizzix-style dies, which includes the large dies designed for the pro. That was actually the reason I decided to get the BSP instead of the Grand Calibur.

binx 02-10-2011 04:07 PM

Thanks, khogan. Do you know the best place/deal for the BSP?

cardsbynikki 02-10-2011 04:40 PM

There are two kinds of Big Shot Pro. One is the Big Shot Pro, and one is the Big Shot Pro Westminster. The Westminster is purple and includes the EXTENDED cutting plates and extended platform. The BSP is blue and does not include the extended plates.

You can often get the BSP Blue at Joann online for $239. You can get the Westminster from Sizzix for $399 - you might be able to find it on sale cheaper elsewhere. The extended plates that come with the BSP Westminster retail for $100 for the extended tray and $60 for the extended plates. As such, if you know you are going to want the extended accessories, you are better off paying for the Westminster. If you aren't going to want the extended accessories, get the BSP Blue at Joann for $239 when it is on sale. The extended accessories are 27" long, the regular BSP accessories are 14" long.

Also, I'm saving up for the Westminster. I decided to get one machine that can do it all! :)

khogan 02-10-2011 07:49 PM

I got my BSP at Joanns after Thanksgiving. They had 50% off all die-cut machines and accessories, so my BSP was only $200. They often have sales so I'm sure you can get it for at least 40% off. If you get it while it's on sale you can also use a coupon for free shipping.

-Kathy

Cook22 02-10-2011 10:33 PM

I'd agree with khogan. It would have to the BSP for all-round versatility. What were Spellbinders thinking of not to have the Calibur take the Bigz-style dies when the Wizard does. They must have had their reasons, but to me it was a backward step.

binx 02-11-2011 03:06 AM

Thx for the input; looks like a BSP Westminster for me.

I live in Charlotte, NC; we don't have JoAnne's. Sure miss JoAnne's (from TX); I'll take a gander online before I go directly to Sizzix to buy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikki (Post 17940571)
There are two kinds of Big Shot Pro. One is the Big Shot Pro, and one is the Big Shot Pro Westminster. The Westminster is purple and includes the EXTENDED cutting plates and extended platform. The BSP is blue and does not include the extended plates.

You can often get the BSP Blue at Joann online for $239. You can get the Westminster from Sizzix for $399 - you might be able to find it on sale cheaper elsewhere. The extended plates that come with the BSP Westminster retail for $100 for the extended tray and $60 for the extended plates. As such, if you know you are going to want the extended accessories, you are better off paying for the Westminster. If you aren't going to want the extended accessories, get the BSP Blue at Joann for $239 when it is on sale. The extended accessories are 27" long, the regular BSP accessories are 14" long.

Also, I'm saving up for the Westminster. I decided to get one machine that can do it all! :)

Thx for explaining this so thoroughly, cardsbynikki. I could have searched all day long on the net and not found such a clear explanation. I agree totally - one machine to do it all.

khogan 02-11-2011 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gale (Post 17942155)
Darn, I wish my Joann's had the BSP. I like half price.

I don't think Joann's has it in the stores, but you can get it online.

binx 02-11-2011 05:31 AM

Gee, I'm all confused again. As Nikki said, @ Sizzix you can get the machine + a pair of extended cutting pads and an extended adapter pad for $400.

But at Joann's (online) you can get:
Sizzix Big Shot Pro Diecutting Machine
Sizzix Big Shot Pro Extended Cutting Pads-2PK
Sizzix Big Shot Pro Extended Adapter Pad
Sizzix Big Shot Pro Standard Premium Crease Pad
Sizzix Big Shot Pro Adapter Pad-1PK/Standard
Sizzix Big Shot Pro Cutting Pags-
Sizzix Big Shot Pro Plastic Slides-2PK

All for around $370 before tax.

But, without having experience with the machine, I don't really know what is necessary to get started. Is all of that from Joann's good to have or some stuff I'll never use? What does the crease pad do? :confused:

Okay, I'm in over my head, off to do some searches. Any input will be appreciated.

KimInIowa 02-11-2011 10:05 AM

A few things to consider when looking at the Big Shot Pro vs. Grand Calibur

You need to look at what is important to you personally as a crafter.

Price - 40% off coupons are often found on line. Regular Retail for BS Pro -
$399.99, regular retail for Grand Calibur $129.99

Storage Space - BS Pro - 24-1/4'' x 15". Grand Calibur - 16" x 6�"

Tray width size - BS Pro - 13". Grand Calibur - 8 1/2"

Weight/portability - BS Pro w/ mats - 40lb. Grand Calibur w/ mats - 12 lb.

Consider what type of dies you normally use. If you use only thick dies, such as Sizzix the Grand Calibur isn't for you.

If you don't use thick dies often, consider keeping your existing machine for those dies and save some money to spend on more dies.

Lots of things to think about. These two machines are very different.

mrslaird 02-11-2011 10:45 AM

Can I just throw something extra confusing into the mix? Does anyone know if the BSP will cut Accucut quilt dies? I realize some of them might be too wide, but I'm just wondering if it can cut that type of die without too much of a headache. It looks like the dies are sizzix style so I don't think they'll go the the GC. I don't quilt (yet), but if I'm gonna pay $400 for a machine I want it to do EVERYTHING! :) Thanks! Here's a link if you have no idea what I'm talking about. Quilting Fabric Cutters, Dies, Patterns and Accessories | AccuQuilt

basurok 02-11-2011 10:48 AM

I recently purchased the Big Shot Pro...mainly because I was hoping to use the oversized Sizzix Pro dies that are about 12X12

grandmamichelf 02-11-2011 12:12 PM

I'm really trying to decide between a Calibur and a Vagabond. On one hand I'd like to be able to cut a lot of dies at one time. On the other hand, I really like a lot of Tim Holtz's new stuff. If I had a third hand, well no telling what would be on that one.

cardsbynikki 02-11-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binx (Post 17942676)
Gee, I'm all confused again. As Nikki said, @ Sizzix you can get the machine + a pair of extended cutting pads and an extended adapter pad for $400.

But at Joann's (online) you can get:
Sizzix Big Shot Pro Diecutting Machine
Sizzix Big Shot Pro Extended Cutting Pads-2PK
Sizzix Big Shot Pro Extended Adapter Pad
Sizzix Big Shot Pro Standard Premium Crease Pad
Sizzix Big Shot Pro Adapter Pad-1PK/Standard
Sizzix Big Shot Pro Cutting Pags-
Sizzix Big Shot Pro Plastic Slides-2PK

All for around $370 before tax.

But, without having experience with the machine, I don't really know what is necessary to get started. Is all of that from Joann's good to have or some stuff I'll never use? What does the crease pad do? :confused:

Okay, I'm in over my head, off to do some searches. Any input will be appreciated.

Very cool to know that Joanns now has the BSP with extended accessories. That basically means that it has everything the BSP Westminster has on the Sizzix website, except it's $30 cheaper (then add in the tax).

It depends on what you actually want to DO with the machine whether or not you want the extended to get started. If you want to use the extra big, extra long, BSP dies - you needed the extended tray and extended cutting plates. If you are not wanting the extra big, extra long, BSP dies to get started, then you don't need the extended accessories, and need simple the regular ones - which come with the Big Shot Pro that Joann regularly puts on sale for $239.

However I can't find the Big Shot Pro at Joann online with the extended accessories. Can you post the link so I can check it out? Thanks :)

cardsbynikki 02-11-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binx (Post 17942676)
What does the crease pad do? :confused:

The crease pad is for dies that have a crease - also known as a score - in the design. Card dies, box dies, things like that all have parts that need to be creased (scored). If you use a regular cutting plate with those dies, what often happens is the blade that is supposed to crease the box ends up CUTTING into the box. The crease pad is similar to self-healing cutting mats that quilters and sewers use. It's a little mushy and has some give to it. You would put down a cutting plate, the die with the crease face UP, then the cardstock face DOWN, then the crease pad. Run through machine. Now you have a box cut AND scored and ready to put together. If you are going to be buying dies with crease(scores) on them, the crease pad is essential to have. Some have worked around it, fashioning their own, but I prefer to just use a crease pad. Much easier and they last a LONG time.

cardsbynikki 02-11-2011 03:48 PM

Maybe this will help if I break down the Sizzix Catalog and give you some examples of each die. That way you can see the kinds of dies and maybe be able to figure out what would work best for you.

There are some key terms that make it easier, if you know what they mean then you know right off hand what machine/accessories you need to make them work.

**Sizzix Sizzlets: Made to work in the smallest of the Sizzix machines, the Sizzix Sidekick. I have a sidekick, its a nice little thing to have and was the first die cutting machine I purchased. It has served me well over the years and there are times I still grab it to use with one of my sizlets because its so easy. However, I usually just go to my Big Kick. When using the Sizzlets here is what you need: If using the Sidekick, you just need the standard sidekick plates. If using the press, you need the original Sizzix Converter and if using the Sizzix Big Shot/Big Kick, you need the Multi Purpose Platform (MPP). For use with the BSP (both Blue and Westminster) I believe you need the adapter pad.

Example of Sizzix Sizlets: Snowflakes 4 die set: Sizzix.com - Sizzix Sizzlits Die Set 4PK - Snowflakes Set

Sizzix Sizzlets Catalog: -> Sizzix.com - Catalog

**Sizzix Originals
- can be used in anything from the Original Sizzix (also known as "Big Red" or "Lever Press" Sizzix) all the way up the BSP Westminster. They don't require any extra accessories. Cannot be used in the little tiny Sizzix Sidekick. When used in the Original, you need the cutting pad. For use in Big Kick/Big Shot or BSP or BSP Westminster, you just need standard cutting plates for the machine.

Example of Sizzix Originals Die: Originals Mistletoe -> Sizzix.com - Sizzix Originals Die - Mistletoe

Sizzix Originals Catalog: -> Sizzix.com - Catalog

**Sizzix BIGZ - Cannot be used in the Original Sizzix. They were designed at first to work in the Sizzix Big Shot and/or Big Kick. They are wider than originals but not by much. They only need standard accessories plus a crease pad for the dies that have creases.

Example of Sizzix BIGZ die -> Butterfly Sizzix.com - Sizzix Bigz Die - Butterfly

Sizzix BIGZ Catalog is hard to link to because it contains all the Bigz XL and Bigz Pro dies as well (Sizzix needs some major work on their website.) Here it is anyway though ->Sizzix.com - Catalog

**Sizzix BIGZ XL - Can be used in the Big Kick and/or Big Shot *with* extended cutting plates / extended crease pad. Since these dies are up to 24" long, you would NEED the extended plates to make them work in the Big Shot Pro. Now, I have heard (have not tried it) that you can get the Sizzix Big Kick Extended plates (rather than the PRO extended plates) to work with the Sizzix Bigz XL - so that is cheaper to do.

Example of Sizzix Bigz XL Die -> Box Sizzix.com - Sizzix Bigz XL Die - Box

Die needs the Big Kick/Big Shot extended cutting plates and a crease pad.

Bigz XL Catalog -> Sizzix.com - Catalog

**Sizzix Bigz Pro - Cannot be used in the regular, original Sizzix, the Big Kick or the regular Big Shot. You must have a Pro machine to use these dies, plus whatever accessories the die calls for (i.e. crease pad).

Example of Bigz Pro Die: Milk Carton Box - Sizzix Bigz Pro
Sizzix.com - Sizzix Bigz Pro Die - Box, Milk Carton

Catalog of Bigz Pro Dies: -> Sizzix.com - Catalog

Die needs the Big Shot Pro with standard accessories and 12x12 paper, plus a crease pad. Finished box measures 2 3/4" x 5 5/8" x 2 5/8".

Now, there are very few dies on the home cutting market yet that call for the extended plates made available for the Westminster. The Westminster dies that HAVE been released are mainly for quilters (thus the Westminster name) and not something I would use.

The reason I want it is because Sizzix is saying there are big plans to release dies that call for those extended accessories. PLUS, I want to be able to use the "Extra Wide Ellison Dies" (Ellison owns Sizzix) that are released for schools. Anyone can buy them, and there are a lot of designs I like that I can see myself using. They have a lot of Ellison SureCut 3D dies that require those extended plates....and since I make *ton* of boxes myself, I want to be able to purchase those box dies.

Example of SureCut 3D die -> 3D Hexagon Ellisoneducation.com - Ellison SureCut Die - Prism 3-D, Hexagon Base - Large Die

SureCut 3D catalog -> Ellisoneducation.com - Catalog

In conclusion, I want to go ahead and buy the Westminster (I have time to save up, as I have a regular Big Kick now) and have everything, one machine that can cut whatever I want it to cut, have all the extended accessories, etc, ready to go. Then I can get Ellison dies, and the Sizzix Bigz Pro XL that are supposedly (who knows for sure..) coming out next year. Its just a rumour.

PS - There are a lot of dies on the Ellison website to make boxes that will work with the Big Shot Pro *without* extended plates/pads. Search around and see what you can find.

Here is the link to Ellison: -> Ellisoneducation.com - Curriculum-based shape-cutting for the classroom

This is a link to the Ellison sizing guide. All the dies *EXCEPT* the EW dies will work in the BSP without the extended accessories. All EW dies (and a lot of the SureCut 3D and boxes) need those extended accessories.

Ellisoneducation.com - Ellison Die Size Guide

Hope that helps!

cardsbynikki 02-11-2011 03:51 PM

Also, with the BSP both just the Blue and the Westminster you can use embossing folders (all brands) and texture plates without paying for the extended plates. Many of us dry embossing fans (er I think maybe we are fanATICS! LOL!) are hoping Sizzix will release 12x12 embossing folders. It would be a shame for them not too!

For texture plates you DO need a silicone rubber mat and a Texturz Impressions pad. Some make due with thick chipboard and plumbers gasket from the hardware store. When I was starting out down the Texture Plates road, I purchased a starter kit - which came with both the rubber mat and the Impressions Pad. It included Three double-sided plates. I used a 50% off coupon and it was a good deal, WELL worth it to have everything I needed right from the get go.

To use embossing folders you need the MPP (For Sizzix Big Shot/ Big Kick) or the adapter for the Pro or Pro Westminster, and a pair of cutting plates.

cardsbynikki 02-11-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmamichelf (Post 17944211)
I'm really trying to decide between a Calibur and a Vagabond. On one hand I'd like to be able to cut a lot of dies at one time. On the other hand, I really like a lot of Tim Holtz's new stuff. If I had a third hand, well no telling what would be on that one.

I have no experience with either machine and both look rather awesome, though I'd recommend going more for functionality than looks. The Calibur can do a lot of *nesties* at once or quite a few Sizzlit dies or CB dies but cannot handle any Sizzix Originals, Bigz, Bigz XL, etc etc etc. If you are purely a wafer thin die type girl, or a thin die type girl, get the Calibur. You can dry emboss with embossing folders with the Calibur as well. I think you might be able to use Texture Plates but have no way of knowing for sure. Someone here who has a Calibur would know however.

My concern with the Vagabond & the Sizzix Big Shot Express is the motor. You need electricity, to be close to an outlet, and those motors can burn out rather easily, overheat, etc. You have to give it time to cool off, you can't run it for a long period of time straight (or some can't. Others have had better luck). I think those motors are still being perfected. I recommend them for people who cannot crank dies through manually but I would be too worried of overworking the machine and burning out the motor. I've heard from lots of gals with the Vagabond and the Express who have had some pretty big motor issues.

cardsbynikki 02-11-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basurok (Post 17943951)
I recently purchased the Big Shot Pro...mainly because I was hoping to use the oversized Sizzix Pro dies that are about 12X12

How do you like it so far? I am excited to get mine in about 4 or 5 months!!

binx 02-11-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikki (Post 17944553)
However I can't find the Big Shot Pro at Joann online with the extended accessories. Can you post the link so I can check it out? Thanks :)

I'm attaching a link, but it's nothing you can't do yourself. All I did was put the machine + all of the accessories I listed above in a cart and it did the math.

big shot pro*: Shop | Joann.com

I don't see that they see the extended tray (at least under that name), so if that's necessary (?), you'll either have to buy it somewhere else or maybe I overlooked it.

Is it necessary and what does it do? Does it allow you to run multiple smaller dies through at the same time?

Personally, I want the machine for the big stuff; otherwise I can just use the Big Shot.

cardsbynikki 02-12-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binx (Post 17945269)
I'm attaching a link, but it's nothing you can't do yourself. All I did was put the machine + all of the accessories I listed above in a cart and it did the math.

big shot pro*: Shop | Joann.com

I don't see that they see the extended tray (at least under that name), so if that's necessary (?), you'll either have to buy it somewhere else or maybe I overlooked it.

Is it necessary and what does it do? Does it allow you to run multiple smaller dies through at the same time?

Personally, I want the machine for the big stuff; otherwise I can just use the Big Shot.

Ok so this is the Big Shot Pro but it doesn't come with the extended tray or extended plates. It comes with the crease pad, the adapter pad, the shims and the standard plates. The extended tray is an extra thing you would have to add on, it retails for $100. The extended plates retail for $60.

That's another $160 added to the cost of the Big Shot Pro - which is on sale at Joann for $239. That makes it $400 once you add it in, which is the retail price of the Big Shot Pro Westminster that comes with all the extended things.

You CAN run lots of dies through the BSP without extended accessories. The standard plates hold a sheet of 12x12 paper. You can do the Bigz Pro dies in it, and if you get the *standard* extended plates made for the regular big kick, you can use the Bigz XL (extra long) dies.

You can NOT use the Westminster Dies or the Ellison SureCuts 3D EW dies or the larger Ellison box dies without the extended accessories.

binx 02-12-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikki (Post 17947322)
Ok so this is the Big Shot Pro but it doesn't come with the extended tray or extended plates. It comes with the crease pad, the adapter pad, the shims and the standard plates. The extended tray is an extra thing you would have to add on, it retails for $100. The extended plates retail for $60.

That's another $160 added to the cost of the Big Shot Pro - which is on sale at Joann for $239. That makes it $400 once you add it in, which is the retail price of the Big Shot Pro Westminster that comes with all the extended things.

You CAN run lots of dies through the BSP without extended accessories. The standard plates hold a sheet of 12x12 paper. You can do the Bigz Pro dies in it, and if you get the *standard* extended plates made for the regular big kick, you can use the Bigz XL (extra long) dies.

You can NOT use the Westminster Dies or the Ellison SureCuts 3D EW dies or the larger Ellison box dies without the extended accessories.

It has extended pads (beyond the crease pad); are those not the same thing as plates? In that case, do you need both extended plates and pads? Told you I was confused, LOL. I've looked around, but the videos and blogs I've seen through the lingo around like common nomenclature and assume we know all of these subtle deliniations. I, for one, do not. And I own a bigwhatever, etc. I can't imagine how frustrating it is to someone who is new to all of this. Oooooh, why is it so hard to learn the basics? And what about this tray? I have a cookie sheet about that size....

Okay, it's late and I've been up since the wee hours of the AM with my foster pups; guess I'm gettin' punchy.

sprtchick 02-12-2011 06:46 PM

My goodness Nikki...you are a wealth of information....I just found out today that there is a Grand Caliber on the way for my birthday this week...I am excited!
blessings.

cardsbynikki 02-12-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchick (Post 17948677)
My goodness Nikki...you are a wealth of information....I just found out today that there is a Grand Caliber on the way for my birthday this week...I am excited!
blessings.

Oh how awesome Amber! VERY exciting!!

cardsbynikki 02-12-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binx (Post 17948496)
It has extended pads (beyond the crease pad); are those not the same thing as plates? In that case, do you need both extended plates and pads? Told you I was confused, LOL. I've looked around, but the videos and blogs I've seen through the lingo around like common nomenclature and assume we know all of these subtle deliniations. I, for one, do not. And I own a bigwhatever, etc. I can't imagine how frustrating it is to someone who is new to all of this. Oooooh, why is it so hard to learn the basics? And what about this tray? I have a cookie sheet about that size....

Okay, it's late and I've been up since the wee hours of the AM with my foster pups; guess I'm gettin' punchy.

Since I don't have one (yet) in my hot little hands its hard for me to say for sure. Plates and Pads are the same thing, so if it comes with extended pads, then that is the same thing as plates.

You need the tray to use the machine - so if you are using extended plates, you need the extended tray. I don't know if you could substitute a cookie sheet or not....

grandmamichelf 02-13-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikki (Post 17944903)
I have no experience with either machine and both look rather awesome, though I'd recommend going more for functionality than looks. The Calibur can do a lot of *nesties* at once or quite a few Sizzlit dies or CB dies but cannot handle any Sizzix Originals, Bigz, Bigz XL, etc etc etc. If you are purely a wafer thin die type girl, or a thin die type girl, get the Calibur. You can dry emboss with embossing folders with the Calibur as well. I think you might be able to use Texture Plates but have no way of knowing for sure. Someone here who has a Calibur would know however.

My concern with the Vagabond & the Sizzix Big Shot Express is the motor. You need electricity, to be close to an outlet, and those motors can burn out rather easily, overheat, etc. You have to give it time to cool off, you can't run it for a long period of time straight (or some can't. Others have had better luck). I think those motors are still being perfected. I recommend them for people who cannot crank dies through manually but I would be too worried of overworking the machine and burning out the motor. I've heard from lots of gals with the Vagabond and the Express who have had some pretty big motor issues.

I had heard about the motor issues with the Big Shot Express but not with the Vagabond. Would be kinda sad to buy a machine and have the motor go out.

Since I have a Cricut, I guess the big dies just aren't really that necessary for me. The Calibur looks like it can handle so much more of the thin dies plus the fact that it embosses so deeply. Maybe I'll get the bigger Cricut Expression (I have the original Cricut) and the Calibur.

Know what's funny? I have a Dodge Caliber. So if I get the Grand Calibur at Hobby Lobby then I'll drive the Calibur home in the Caliber. :lol: Ok, I'm strange.

binx 02-14-2011 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikki (Post 17948776)
Since I don't have one (yet) in my hot little hands its hard for me to say for sure. Plates and Pads are the same thing, so if it comes with extended pads, then that is the same thing as plates.

You need the tray to use the machine - so if you are using extended plates, you need the extended tray. I don't know if you could substitute a cookie sheet or not....

Oh, thank you, Nikki. You're so knowledgeable that I wish I could just put you in my pkt for when I'm shopping - you could undoubtedly help me out with knowing what and where to purchase!

Kweenie 02-14-2011 08:04 AM

Has anyone had problems with Grand Calibur machine ? The join on the machines casing is opening up when the sandwich is wound through. I have contacted my supplier but havent got any response yet ?

KimInIowa 02-14-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kweenie (Post 17953554)
Has anyone had problems with Grand Calibur machine ? The join on the machines casing is opening up when the sandwich is wound through. I have contacted my supplier but havent got any response yet ?

If you have any problems with the Grand Calibur machine call Spellbinders customer service at 888-547-0400.

Kim

lharnish 02-14-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kweenie (Post 17953554)

My friend bought one and it broke inside complete with metal shavings coming out of the inside on the first night we used it. The suction cup wouldn't stick to any of the surfaces we tried it on either. We returned it and the store she bought it from said two others came back the same way. They think it was a bad batch.

I only have the regular Big Shot, not the Pro, but I found the construction of the Calbur to be quite cheesy in quality as compared to my basic Big Shot. There were other minor functionality issues that made me prefer the Big Shot as well and some just plain stupid design flaws (e.g. it takes 8.5X11 paper but only if you take a tray off it - what's up with that, for the sake of making the machine an 1/8 or a 1/4 inch bigger, it would have been a true 8.5X11 fit).

If I was in the market for a larger unit, I'd save up for the Big Shot Pro. I'm sure the next generation of the Calibur will fix a lot of the issues I and others have found with it.

cardsbynikki 02-14-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binx (Post 17953346)
Oh, thank you, Nikki. You're so knowledgeable that I wish I could just put you in my pkt for when I'm shopping - you could undoubtedly help me out with knowing what and where to purchase!

I've been at it awhile and I'm addicted to die-cutting like most are to stamping....I don't stamp. Well, very rarely I stamp but usually just a one-step sentiment! As such...I know die cutting! :)

You're welcome, and just let me know if you have questions....if you private message me I'll give you my email and you can ask away. Good luck and I hope you get your DREAM machine! :)

Happy Crafting!

dflora3168 02-17-2011 03:38 PM

Wow! I am in "information overload"! LOL! You'd think this hobby involved brain surgery or space flights! LOL!

Kweenie 02-18-2011 01:51 AM

I am REALLY disappointed with customer service. My order was processed and delivered within a couple of days...But getting my problems sorted out is taking forever.Be very careful of who you buy from ! P.S. I live in England .

Pamstamps2 02-22-2011 08:15 AM

OK, maybe I missed this...can the BS Pro cut the Accucut dies? At least the ones that would fit in the "tray"?

Thanks.

wanda50 02-22-2011 11:12 AM

I saw the Grand Calibur at Michaels yesterday and they also have it at AC Moore and Hobby Lobby. Use those coupons ladies!

cardsbynikki 02-22-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pamstamps2 (Post 17987298)
OK, maybe I missed this...can the BS Pro cut the Accucut dies? At least the ones that would fit in the "tray"?

Thanks.

Yes it can :)

binx 02-22-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanda50 (Post 17988103)
I saw the Grand Calibur at Michaels yesterday and they also have it at AC Moore and Hobby Lobby. Use those coupons ladies!

Holy Moly! And ACMoore had a 55% coupon for President's Day. If I'd'a known, I might have picked up the Grand Calibur at that price just to have it on hand!

mrslaird 02-22-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikki (Post 17988122)
Yes it can :)

Sweet! Thanks for the info! :)