Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Giving up on Tombow Adhesive Tape Runner (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/giving-up-tombow-adhesive-tape-runner-622675/)

CJ64 02-02-2018 05:45 PM

Giving up on Tombow Adhesive Tape Runner

I have been so displeased with the Tombow Tape Runner. They reduced the feet in a roll and I just don't think it holds up over time. Some of my cards have come apart. I am going to switch over to a high quality paper glue. I love the Ranger Multi Medium matte, but the bottles are two small and it is hard to work with once it gets half empty. The Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue is just too messy for me- I don't know what it is about it. Any other suggestions??? What is your favorite paper craft glue that works for you???

Catherine773 02-02-2018 05:56 PM

I too use Tombow Mono Tape and I'm going to finish up my stash before switching. For those who use the ATG - do you find the size of it bothersome at all? It's just so big. I often hear people love it as an alternative to Mono Tape - but it's drastically different in size. And I'm assuming it's quite heavier? I just can't imagine mass producing cards with that big thing. Is it actually pretty light and easy to grab and go?

TeeGeeDee 02-02-2018 07:06 PM

I didn't find an ATG comfortable to hold/use but I'm very happy with my Xyron Mega Runner. I have never had problems with any Xyron adhesive so was thrilled to find the Mega Runner was comfortable for me.

Mega Runner - Adhesive Runners | xyron

I can find the 1/4" refills (in the pink boxes) at Michael's but the best deals are usually when hsn has a 24-hour craft day. I have my hubby get me the 1/2" refills (also in pink boxes. I think they are branded Teresa Collins ... one of my runners is pink) for birthdays and Christmas.

Just be aware that the pink refill will show some pink in a blue runner (Not the tape just part of the refill). Anna Griffin has an ivory/gold one available at hsn.

marymoilanen 02-02-2018 07:08 PM

I love the ATG tape. It sticks great and cheap if you buy in bulk (like from TapeJungle). It takes a little bit to get use to but so worth it if you make a lot of cards.

I like Scotch liquid glue. It does come in a larger bottle plus I can refill my smaller bottle for the fine detail work. You can find it at Joanns and use a coupon.

iamvics 02-02-2018 10:27 PM

I love my ATGs - I have both 1/4" & 1/2." I use glue often, too. I'm looking forward to trying this: https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...r-marker-1.png

bjeans 02-03-2018 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ64 (Post 21609541)
I have been so displeased with the Tombow Tape Runner. They reduced the feet in a roll and I just don't think it holds up over time. Some of my cards have come apart. I am going to switch over to a high quality paper glue. I love the Ranger Multi Medium matte, but the bottles are two small and it is hard to work with once it gets half empty. The Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue is just too messy for me- I don't know what it is about it. Any other suggestions??? What is your favorite paper craft glue that works for you???

The Multi Medium Matte also comes in jars but of course it would have to be applied with something. The rare times I use it on something tiny I use a micro eyelash adhesive applicator brush that isn't really a brush. It's miniscule.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ranger's Tim Holtz Collage Medium is quite similar to Multi Medium Matte but just a bit thinner so easier to get out of the bottle. Apparently Jennifer McGuire switched to it after Tim suggested she try it. I put it in a bottle with a thin metal applicator and pour more in when there's too much air to use comfortably.

And like Vics, I'm looking forward to trying the new Ranger adhesive - IF it tries matte/invisible like Multi Medium Matte - and would put it in a smaller bottle with needle tip.

I can't use ATG's and am still using a retired pink Tombow runner - have enough for a very long time. But if I switched I'd probably use the one you see Laura Bassen, Jennifer McGuire, etc. use. I have tried it and like it. It's small so more expensive than an ATG.

Scrapjanny 02-03-2018 07:07 AM

For dry adhesive, I love the ATG, but I also use the Tombow and Kokuyo Dot Liner. For wet glue, I love Aleene's Collage Pauge and Scotch Quick Dry Glue (now called Tacky Glue).

Catscrap216 02-03-2018 07:29 AM

So sorry CJ64 that you are having issues with the Tombow Tape Runner. My friend is displease with the fact that her tape breaks and then she gives it to me to try to fix. But for me, that's the only "dry" glue I buy. Mine seem to last awhile.

CJ64 02-03-2018 12:31 PM

Thanks for all this info- I guess I will add the "Perfect Card adhesive" to my "will try"" list. THank you for the video Vics. And I did see on JM's video, that she is using the collage medium, may have to try that too, Bjeans. I have been using the Nuvo Deluxe Adhesive for a couple of months now and really am liking that. I love the size of the bottle so very comfortable in my hands, the fine tip, and it goes a LONG way. Has anyone else tried that????

bjeans 02-03-2018 12:43 PM

I haven't but being an adhesive addict, I'm curious. Is it as invisible as Multi Medium Matte when it dries? (The Collage Medium is invisible too.)

iamvics 02-03-2018 01:12 PM

Here's the Ranger page for the Perfect Card Adhesive: http://rangerink.com/?product=wendy-...-card-adhesive

It has a fine tip and I'm guessing it's matte, too.
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...r-marker-1.png

Illinois Marge 02-03-2018 01:13 PM

I still use Tombow. I buy it in bulk quantities and split the order with friends. My cards stay together for years (I have some made 5-7 years ago that atre still fine). I burnish the adhesive layers with a bone folder to really make it stick good :-)

CJ64 02-03-2018 01:25 PM

Yes, Bjeans - it dries invisible. I really really like it.

bjeans 02-03-2018 01:59 PM

Forgot - Ranger's response about the difference between Multi Matte and Distress Collage mediums:

Hi Beth,<o:p></o

Thank you for your inquiry.

Distress Collage Medium and Ranger Multi Medium Matte can be used in the same applications, but are slightly different in that Distress Collage Medium dries quicker, leaving less time to work, and is a bit thinner in formulation.

We appreciate your interest in Ranger products and hope this helps!<o:p></o

Sincerely,<o:p></o
Ranger Industries|Customer Service"

CJ64 02-03-2018 04:28 PM

Good to know bjeans. I was wondering that so thanks for sharing.

gingerd 02-03-2018 05:57 PM

I too have given up on Tombow. I did this when I was at a friend's home where I had made a very involved scrap album and it was falling apart. I was so embarrassed. Now, I use my ATG and love it. It holds!

Chris01 02-04-2018 07:28 AM

I prefer single layer cards, but if I add a layer, I’m now using score tape. I worry adhesives won’t stick for long.Do you think score tape will hold things together for a long time?

Babies 02-19-2018 07:46 AM

Recently I have bought 2 Tombow tape runners, and they are awful. Coming off the tape in lumps, goo sticking to the edge of the runner whicch then makes the tape roll funny- until I stop and try and get the sticky off. This is not the tape I remember from years ago.

I used Duck until they changed the product to little tabs, but those have dimension and you can see it through thinner paper.

I really need a tape runner... I don't care if my cards hold together for years, I just need a product that comes off the runner flat and clean- thoughts?

Babies 02-19-2018 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01 (Post 21610232)
I prefer single layer cards, but if I add a layer, I�m now using score tape. I worry adhesives won�t stick for long.Do you think score tape will hold things together for a long time?

I also use score tape, but at the moment I am making 50 wedding invites with lined envelopes with multiple layers- score tape gets expensive!

Chris01 02-19-2018 10:04 AM

I hear you on the expense for using a lot of score tape.Kokuyo runner is quite good quality.
Since I’m a Beth too....I’ll jump right over to your card shop!

Babies 02-20-2018 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01 (Post 21618019)
I hear you on the expense for using a lot of score tape.Kokuyo runner is quite good quality.
Since I�m a Beth too....I�ll jump right over to your card shop!

Ooops, sorry, haven't used the blog in years- enjoy, lol, but I now mostly make very large alcohol ink pieces, and don't show them.

Thank you for the Kokuyo recommendation.

bjeans 02-20-2018 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01 (Post 21618019)
Since I�m a Beth too....I�ll jump right over to your card shop!

Beth X 3. : )

Beth