Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gelatos vs gel sticks

I saw some of these in person for the first time this weekend, and have decided I have to have some! But in looking around on the internet I see there are 2 products by faber castell - gel sticks and gelatos. It seems the gelatos are a more expensive version of the gel sticks, with more colors. Per info from faber castell they worked with a chemist to make the gelatos archival and less likely to fade over time. With the big price difference, I would like to start with the gel sticks until I know I am going to like and use them enough to justify purchasing the gelatos. However, I don't want to risk having the projects I use them no fade... so that said, here is my question...

Has anyone tested out the fading of the gel sticks? If you put a project in light for a few days, does it show visible fading?

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #2  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I have not used the gel sticks so I cannot answer your question based on experience - sorry. I have gelatos and I have used them (so far only dry).

But I was curious about the differences between the two and I found this explanation on an Amazon product review of the gel sticks: "Gelatos and Gel Sticks are actually two different products! They are manufactured by the same company but the formulation is different. Unlike Gel Sticks, Gelatos are designed to be crafter friendly- they are acid-free, lightfast, and permanent. Gelatos are also available in more colors, so crafters have a larger range to choose from."

Here's a video from the frual crafter using and comparing both of them. Shie has also posted a comment that she hasn't noticed a difference 'yet' but I don't know how long of a time 'yet' is :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgqvaFbJIM4

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 04-29-2013 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, this is the one that I found where I learned about the gel sticks, but i saw it on her blog and not utube. Utube has more comments from her. I am really tempted to start with the gel sticks and then invest in gelato's later if i need more colors.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

im in the same boat. I have a $50 amazon gift card, I'm looking at a 12 ct gel sticks for $10 and 6ct metallic ones for $7. or they have the gelato set with 28 colors for $57. Even the sets of 4 gelatos are $8-$10. I did get a set of gelatos already and I like them, so I already have 10 colors. its a tough call. I read some things online that ppl say the are the same, but i dont see how they can be the exact same thing. ill let you know what i do or find out.
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.-Ephesians 4:32
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2013, 02:42 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 340 Likes on 132 Posts

I read in the current Stamp and Scrap Arts magazine that Gelatos are like grown up/artist gel sticks. They come in more colors and are formulated to hold up to more techniques. The author (Sara Nauman who has been around a long time for HOTP) also said that gel sticks will fade over time while Gelatos are permanent-et.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes