Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Fiskars Circle/Oval Cutters or Coluzzle? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/fiskars-circle-oval-cutters-coluzzle-237616/)

bbbp 04-02-2007 06:23 PM

Fiskars Circle/Oval Cutters or Coluzzle?

I seem to be incredibly coluzzle challenged. I keep putting niks into the templates and now they are hard to use. I have just read a thread about repairing them and will definately give it a try, but...

I saw the video at www.fiskarscrafts.com (look under the Fiskars TV tab) about using the circle and oval cutters. Are they really that easy to use? The demonstration makes it look very easy. If you have them, do you like them? Or do you prefer the Coluzzle instead?

There is a 50% off coupon for Michael's this week and it would be about $25.00 Canadian to buy the Circle & Oval Cutters set. I would love to hear from anybody that has used them and what they think.

stampinbird 04-02-2007 06:27 PM

from a distance they looked like a copy of CM ones. I absolutely love the CM system-VERY easy to use and with all the channels you get a lot of sizes from one of the rings alone! It's my favorite, but I'm not sure about the Fiskars ones...

Ellibelle 04-02-2007 06:29 PM

I used the coluzzle before and didn't like it. I am not familiar with the fiskars cutter. I have the creative memories cutting system from when I scrapped CM-style. Love love love it!!!

Ellie.

11Valerie11 04-02-2007 06:34 PM

I have the Fiskars, and for me, it's hard to get a good circle. Don't even ask me about the oval, as it totally confuses me! With the circle, though, I tend to waste too much paper trying to get one where the lines actually line up. I guess I'm Fiskars challenged. I just got the coluzzle the other day to see if I can make it work easier for me.

mischief732 04-02-2007 06:48 PM

My coluzzle stuff has been sitting in a cupboard for 5 years. I really needed an oval cut for a card, so I pulled it out. It hasn't been back in the cupboard since! I love it. I colored the channels with different colored sharpies (saw the idea on Gina K's blog) that helped. I love that I can place it and see exactly where I want to cut around my image.
Melisa

bbbp 04-02-2007 07:00 PM

I just checked out Gina K's blog and that seems like a wonderful idea. I just cut out some tags with the coluzzle and it helped holding the blade straight. I still have trouble with the coluzzle when I want to cut out inside something - the paper keeps moving. I guess practice is the best solution!

pamelak 04-02-2007 07:20 PM

I recommend the CM system

I tried both the Fiskars circle cutter and the Coluzzle and found them both impossible for me to get a good clean circle. They've both been shoved away in a drawer for years. I finally bought both the CM circle and oval cutting systems and love, love, love them.

bbbp 04-02-2007 07:40 PM

My sister-in-law has the CM ovals. What I find hard with them is trying to judge where you want to cut and what size it is going to be. Are you supposed to cut out your own templates first? I like having a template to lay down and then you can see where your cut out will be. I am not sure how to do that with the CM one.

Anna Beth 04-02-2007 07:42 PM

I have the Fiskars circle cutter, and I have a hard time cutting circles with it. The cardstock won't stay still underneath the cutter and I can't seem to get measuring the circle right....my circles are too big or too small. I'm going to garage sale it. I do have the Coluzzle... I find it easy to use. I also like that I can place the template over anything and see what size the circle/oval etc will be right away.
HTH;
Anna Beth

bbbp 04-02-2007 07:45 PM

I appreciate what I am reading here. This is going to save me $25.00! Maybe I can put it toward a CM cutting system. I really need something to cut circles and ovals. I am going to keep practicing with the coluzzle and see if I can master it!

gaylestamps 04-02-2007 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbp
I still have trouble with the coluzzle when I want to cut out inside something - the paper keeps moving. I guess practice is the best solution!

Here's a tip: use the DOTTO temporary adhesive to adhere your cardstock/photo/whatever to the Coluzzle mat. That way you won't slip (unless of course you let go of the template)!

bbbp 04-02-2007 08:15 PM

Thanks for the tip. I don't have DOTTO adhesive but I am sure I can come up with something. I am sure learning a lot of things in this one thread.

angelagiroux 04-02-2007 08:31 PM

Quote:

My sister-in-law has the CM ovals. What I find hard with them is trying to judge where you want to cut and what size it is going to be. Are you supposed to cut out your own templates first? I like having a template to lay down and then you can see where your cut out will be. I am not sure how to do that with the CM one.

If you have the CM cutters, they should have come with a plastic sheet that has circles or ovals on it in black, red, green and blue. The black is the size of the hard plastic oval or circle with the channels in it, and the colors are the color of blade you'd use and where the circle or oval will end up. You should put this sheet down first to figure out where to cut and what size to use, then put down the actual oval/circle template and do your cutting. (Does this make any sense?).

Personally, I've used the CM system for years and I like that its a perfect oval, but I hate using that silly template and I find it cumbersome to use overall. I recently used the Coluzzle for the first time and found it really easy to see where to cut and it was easy to use too. Also, it is way more affordable than the CM system. JMO.

angelagiroux 04-02-2007 08:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the tip. I don't have DOTTO adhesive but I am sure I can come up with something. I am sure learning a lot of things in this one thread.

If you don't have dotto, you can use your 2-way glue pen (the one you use for glitter). Just wait until the glue dries a bit or is no longer blue. Then it is also removable.

raspuzzi 04-02-2007 09:27 PM

I also recommend the CM system for circles and ovals compared to the Coluzzle. It is much easier to use.

I just used the Coluzzle in an all day stamp class I attended to make a diorama card. I had to cut the circle for my eight customers who came to class with me. They could not get the Coluzzle to work after stamping all day. It took me several attempts to get a perfect circle and find the right angle to cut. I found it hard to count circles to get a matching half with the template.

I precut a circle for my stamp classes with the CM system before my customers arrive.

Tina R

aromano101 04-03-2007 04:04 AM

I haven't used the Coluzzle, but my mom has and she hates it.

Don't waste your on on the Fiskers. The biggest waste of money I ever spent.... and it was one of those.... "Things I must have." Mayeb that's why I am so bitter about it?? LOL

bluesh4rk 04-03-2007 07:50 AM

I had a fiskars circle cutter many moons ago and HATED IT. It was terrible. Now the ones out these days could very well be great but I'll never buy one.

If you are trying to choose between that and coluzzle, I'd definitely go for the coluzzle. I have that and really like it.

FubsyRuth 04-03-2007 08:48 AM

My friend has the Fiskars circle cutter and no matter how I try I can't get on with it! I just managed a very raggedy circle on paper - on CS, not a thing. It led to much bad language I'm afraid LOL!

I was lucky enough to be able to try out the Coluzzle at my LSS last week and I found that much easier. It is fab being able to try before you buy - is there any way you can do the same?

I'm now impatiently awaiting the arrival of my Coluzzle stuff!

bbbp 04-03-2007 09:35 AM

I think my mind is made up to NOT buy the Fiskars set. Thank you for your responses. It sure makes it easier to find out what other people think before you buy a product or decide to not buy it.

The CM cutting system will be around $100 to get the cutters, ovals & circles. I borrowed my sister-in-law's to try out and compare with my coluzzle ovals. I find them both challenging but maybe one will be less than the other!

troopersma 04-03-2007 05:13 PM

For those of you having problems with the coluzzle...have you made sure that the clear coating has been removed off BOTH sides of the template? One side is clearer than the other. I'd removed one and thought that was it...couldn't cut worth a darn with it. Decided I hated it. Had nicked up the template. Put it away in a drawer for a long time. Then discovered it was on BOTH sides, so peeled off the other side and now I love my coluzzle!

Jane

lilyinkpad 04-03-2007 05:26 PM

I hated the fiskars. I never got it right. Luckily my mom owned it, not me.

I have the coluzzle now and I have never had a problem. I love it.

As for the CM, I never tried it.

Babies 04-03-2007 05:56 PM

Maybe there are different Fiskars sets, but I have the bright orange (and one is blue) circles, ovals, squares, etc, and they are wonderful for me!! You have to be careful where you set and how you start the exacto knife, but I have made only perfect circles and ovals. I use it on a mat, not a colluzle mat but a mat for exacto knives. There aren't any little grooves, so I am not sure what you guys are talking about. I don't like the heart so much since when you turn the center v portions, it ends up being pretty rounded. i often use the circle and ovals, but not so much the square and rectangle.

I also use the colluzle occasionaly, but it is easy to slip and cut the template. Still, it's a pretty cheap way of getting an alphabet.

bbbp 04-03-2007 07:33 PM

I think you are using the Fiskars Shape Cutter set. I think this is the one with the cutter and different hard plastic templates. You set it on your cardstock and cut inside the template. They have how-to videos at the fiskars website and the circle/oval cutters are shown there. They have a lot of different how-to videos there. Kind of neat website except she makes it look too easy!

stamps&cars 04-04-2007 07:36 AM

Another vote for the Creative Memories cutting system. Coluzzle frustrated me but I know some love theirs. CM is just so easy!

tinadoran 04-04-2007 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps&cars
Another vote for the Creative Memories cutting system. Coluzzle frustrated me but I know some love theirs. CM is just so easy!

ditto!

MilwaukeeMommy 04-04-2007 10:42 AM

I have the Fiskars shape cutting system & hate it! Never cuts a perfect shape for me. I bought the Coluzzle ~~ except I couldn't find the knife. Was on the hunt for that, when my girlfriend's mom decided to totally give up scrapbooking & sold all her stuff, including the CM cutting system. Needless to say I bought it ~~ was a good price since it was used ~~ & I love it!! I only have the ovals, but I am on the hunt for the circles!!! I will be taking the Coluzzle back ~~ didn't even open it since I couldn't find the knife for it!!

stampinbird 04-04-2007 11:04 AM

Some of you are thinking of the little round Fiskars cutter. We are talking about the new clear rings that the cutting tool fits down in and you pull it around the depressed channels.

bbbp 04-04-2007 11:14 AM

There must be another Fiskars cutting system. The circle/oval set comes together with a cutting mat and and the two cutters and templates for the different sizes. You set your size and hold down the centre of the cutter and turn it around to cut the paper. I don't think I have seen the one you are talking about Roberta. There are no clear rings for the cutting tool to cut down in with the one I am thinking about. Does the one you are talking about work good?

Veronica'smom 04-04-2007 11:30 AM

Fiskars circle cutter

I have the circle and oval cutter and find this set is the easiest for me. They do have the purple circles that you use w/the 'shape cutter'. The best thing about the circle cutter is you can find any size by opening or closing the tightner. (scalloped circle under orange handle)It does take a little getting used to , having to use two hand to first hold down the orange stopper and turning w/your other hand to be able to push where the cutter was. I have just cut out 100 cd circles(no other cutting system had that size). I have found the best way to seek info after asking for help is to go to different scrapbook stores and try it during open crops. Many stores have different tools and that way I can take the advise from here and watch out for those things, but also maybe it would be easier for my hands than someone elses.
Good Luck

jtax 04-07-2007 03:16 PM

I found that the Fiskars was too difficult to use. Love the Coluzzles...

stampinbird 04-07-2007 04:42 PM

I feel so bad! I was thinking of the cutterbee one. I think that's what it's called. Anyway, it's the channel one. Yikes I'm sorry.
I love the Creative Memories one and this new one looks very similar in design--not sure about the cutting blade on this one.
I don't like the Fiskars round cutter, however.
.....had to clarify this!

terri968 04-07-2007 06:07 PM

I have never tried the fiskars circle cutter. But I do have the CM cutting system. I love the CM system. But recently I bought the Cutterbee curvy cutter snd love it! I just used it tonight for the first time. It was pretty easy to figure out and has a plastic insert that tells you the measurements you are cutting. The only thing I found with this one(as CM too) when you are whisking the blade around the circle you have to hold down on the circle template while cutting with the other hand. When the cutting hand comes around by the hand holding the circle template you don't have much to hold onto. But it works really well! My first circle came out just like I wanted it to. You can make alot bigger and more variety of sizes with the Cutter Bee. That is whay I bought it. I got it at Archiver's with a coupon. Hope all works out for you.

bbbp 04-07-2007 09:15 PM

I just looked at the Cutterbee one on their website. We don't have it yet in our Michael's. But... the saleslady at Michael's said that they are totally changing their paper crafts department in the next couple of months so maybe they will be getting this one. It does seem similar to the CM one but at a much cheaper price. I just can't justify spending $100 for the CM things I need when I could get something for 1/2 the price. I guess I will wait and see if we get this Cutterbee one.

I hate waiting!

retro 04-07-2007 09:33 PM

I also love my Coluzzle! The trickiest part is making sure the angle of the blade is positioned correctly and that you hold the tool straight up and down - not on a slant as you would hold a pen or pencil.

Carleen in BC 04-08-2007 08:36 AM

I'm loving my CM system....jsut purchased and loving it...really sturdy- no nicks or slices and works awesome.... I demolished a coluzzle :( by accident but still going strong on the cm templates :)

Have fun

kerianne 04-08-2007 08:56 AM

The only item I have ever totally regretted purchasing was my circle/oval cutting stuff from Fiskars. In my opinion, it's AWFUL. I have wasted a ton of paper tyring to get an actual circle to come out and not some very strangely shaped blob :rolleyes: I am so glad you posted this, as I need to purchase some type of circle cutter that actually works for me.

Mahloumel 04-08-2007 02:51 PM

I had the Fiskars oval cutter and hated it -- so hard to use even with the hard-to-find, expensive oval template thingy. I have the Coluzzle now and use the heck out of it because there are so many cool templates to choose from in addition to the basic nesting shapes. Whenever I want to make a quick card with a lot of oomph, I reach for my Coluzzle pocket card template. :)

stamps&cars 04-08-2007 10:24 PM

I got my CM cutters on ebay. Cutter pad, blades, circles and ovals for about $35.

FubsyRuth 04-17-2007 08:26 AM

I just wanted to say I've had my Coluzzle stuff for a few days now and I really love it! As retro said above, you have to remember to keep the knife upright. My natural habit would be to hold it like a pen but if you do it right, it works great!

Stamp Happy Susie 04-17-2007 10:04 AM

Quote:

I just looked at the Cutterbee one on their website. We don't have it yet in our Michael's. But... the saleslady at Michael's said that they are totally changing their paper crafts department in the next couple of months so maybe they will be getting this one. It does seem similar to the CM one but at a much cheaper price. I just can't justify spending $100 for the CM things I need when I could get something for 1/2 the price. I guess I will wait and see if we get this Cutterbee one.

I hate waiting!

I got my Curvy Cutter at Target and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it ~ 21.99 and it came with the circle templates AND the cutter! We just got a new AC Moore that opened up on my side of town on Sunday, the carry it as well but they're selling the cutter separate from the templates. Try Target first... they just expanded their scrapbooking aisle.

I had the Fiskars and hated it... with the CC I get perfect circles every time!