Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Best Rotary Cutter

Need help! I am new to card making. What is the best rotary cutter? I recently purchased Fiscars Ultimate Craft Rotary Paper Trimmer. It won't cut or score. I keep pushing hard and softly. I'm going to return it. Can anyone recommend one that works???? Thanks for your help...from a newbie!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

this is a matter of fierce debate, personal preference and your willingness to spend $$. May I suggest that you not buy one until you have the opportunity to try it out yourself. I went through quite a few until I got a Genesis Paper trimmer. However, it only cuts one sheet, maybe 2 at a time. So it depends on your needs. Some folks rave about Carl cutters, but there are many different models -- some tank, others are great.

I think a lot of folks like the one in the SU catalog, although I have not tried it. However, a lot of folks swear by it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2007, 01:13 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hated my Carl, and love my Fiskars. But since all my craft stuff is STILL packed away, I couldn't tell you the models of either. (Alas, maybe the contractor will finally finish my craft room THIS week!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for your advice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2007, 01:18 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I haven't bought an expensive trimmer... YET, but I really do love my Cutterpede. It's got many different blades you can put in there.. scoring, wavy, perforation, and several others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Mine cuts straight, and the blades are super easy to change out. It's light weight, and the mats and blades last longer, not to mention inexpensive to replace.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2007, 01:24 PM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

I have the old style Carl DC-210 which I bought new on ebay for something like $40. The old style does not have markings at the inch marks like the newer style does. I end up using an acrylic quilting ruler to line up my paper instead and it works great. Before this I had the Zision cutter but was going through those stupid packs of blades like crazy, and I'm just a hobbyist. I've had my Carl for a few months now and figure I've probably saved at least $20 in replacement Zision blades alone. I do still use my Zision for scoring but use the Carl for all of my cutting. I've cut 5 pieces of paper at a time with great results. Like Joan said though, you should try out different cutters because your results may vary.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2007, 01:27 PM   #7  

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

I have a Carl rotary cutting board, purchased very reasonably priced at W*mart. I also purchased separately a deckle blade and a scallop blade. There are other blades available, such as scoring, perforating, etc. The blades are very easy to change, and are self-storing in the back of the unit. It is light-weight enough to be portable, yet sturdy enough to stay where I put it without sliding around. It cuts through the heavy weight of SU cardstock easily, even 2-3 sheets at a time. It may even cut through more sheets at a time; I don't remember whether or not I've tried more than three sheets, as I don't typically generate lots of the same card design. I reach for my Carl rotary trimmer more often than for my Fiskars trimmer, though I do use the Fiskars trimmer, as it was the first trimmer I owned. The Carl seems to have crisper, more precise cuts. I agree with a previous poster: if at all possible, try before you buy. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2007, 01:33 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I have the Carl RT200. Paid $11.00 on sale. This was last September and I have not had to change the blade or cutting mat yet. Replacements are very reasonable You can also buy a scoring blade and different shape cutting wheels for it. Changing blades is very easy. I find I do not use the scoring blade. I place my card stock in the cutter as if I were going to cut it and score with my boning tool. Works for me. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Trimmers

When I first started stamping and crafting, I got the Fiskars 12" Ultimate Craft Rotary Paper Trimmer. You can get scoring and perforating blades for this and I liked the blades because they were in a cartridge and you never had to touch the blade to change it. Just pop the cartridge on the track and you're there! And really easy to pop it out and store it away so little hands don't find their way to the blades.

Then my aunt made a card (first my sister gets me into stamping and then we get our other sister and aunt involved - truly a family affair!) and she had a decorative edge. I asked her which scissor and she said it's the blade from her trimmer.

So, I found Fiskars' 12" Rotary Paper Trimmer for Crafts. It also has the cutting, scoring, and perforating blades but you can also get blades (Deckle, Pinking, Scallop, Wave, Victorian, Squiggle, and Tiara). I find using a trimmer easier than a scissor. Any help I can get to cut a straight line!

I got the Trimmer at Roberts (50% off one item coupon - that's the only time to go) and a couple of the blades. The rest I got through amazon. The price was as good or better than anywhere else and if you order enough, FREE SHIPPING![/FONT]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2007, 01:56 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cutterpede, even though it has it's replacement channel mats, and cutting plades for replacements-I cannot get a crisp sharp cut card. I also have a
so called "guillitine or old style school cutter" bought from an office supply
store and works great also for 12 x 12" papers, however, not one to tote
around
Reply With Quote Likes