Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MISTI Stamping Tool or Tim Holtz Stamping Platform?

Can you tell me which you prefer/recommend, & why? Thanx in advance for the benefit of your experience!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

You may want to add the Stampin' Up! Stamparatus to your comparisons. It will be generally available June 1, and incorporates some features that neither the MISTI nor the Tim Holtz Stamping Platform has. ... They all use extra-strong magnets that can break and shatter easily; be sure to do some research on preventing problems before you purchase one of the tools.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2018, 07:19 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had the original and mini MISTIs for quite awhile. I have used a friend's TH platform once or twice and SU! once. Maybe because I am used to the MISTI I like it better because it has a foam cushion to use with clear stamps. The TH is heavier (which surprised me) than the original MISTI but I do like that the TH has the "handle" to open it rather than putting washi tape on the MISTI to use as handles. I highly recommend using the stronger bar magnets rather than the round magnets that come with the various positioners. Since I have one original and two mini MISTIs I doubt I will have a need to buy the other brands. It is very handy for me to have multiple positioners because I tend to work on various steps of multiple swaps at the same time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2018, 11:10 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the original MISTI, the Memory MISTI AND the Tim Holtz platform.

I love multi-step stamping and also do multiples of cards, so I love the Memory MISTI for those purposes.

I haven't had the TH platform that long, but I am much preferring the MISTI over it. Like Arlene said, the TH does not have the foam cushion, which is just 3mm fun foam. I have always used cushion of some sort since I began stamping a long time ago. I tried a piece of foam in the TH; the lid would not close properly, so it was difficult to get a good impression. In addition, the lid of the TH is stiffer than the MISTI. With some stamps, I need to apply a little bit more pressure, which I can do with the MISTI, and can't do with the TH.

I'm also in agreement with Arlene about the bar magnets instead of the ones that come with each tool. I tried a bar magnet in the TH; this made it even more difficult to get a good impression (and the magnets are the same thickness).

Finally, if I'm stamping directly on a card front, I like to stamp before I fold the card. This is a plus for the TH since it has an open side. However, I've had no problems with my cardstock extending outside the MISTI, so once again there's no benefit to me from the TH platform. (This was before I bought the Memory MISTI.)

One more thing: if you get the MISTI, I would advise you to buy a piece of 3mm fun foam to put under the MISTI lid when you're inking your stamps. If you don't have something under the lid, it bounces a little since it doesn't lie completely flat when it's open, and I think the foam helps prevent wear and tear on the lid and the hinges.

Ok, just one more thing , the price difference between the two. I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy the MISTI again. In fact, I'm fairly certain I'll be selling the TH platform.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Crafty Julia (04-09-2024)
Old 03-23-2018, 02:13 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the regular sized Misti, mini Misti and the Tim Holtz platform. First choice is the Tim, second the mini (handy/lightweight to take to a class).

The Tim platform is very sturdy - great for CPR stampers. I like that you don't have to put a separate foam piece in and out depending on photopolymer or rubber. You just flip your lid. The open sides allow you to use larger cardstock.
But my favorite platform (I'm guessing) isn't here yet - it's the Tim travel platform - smaller than the full sized one, and I assume still mighty. It's on pre-order at various shops and may be here in April.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2018, 03:16 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice in MdView Post
You may want to add the Stampin' Up! Stamparatus to your comparisons. It will be generally available June 1, and incorporates some features that neither the MISTI nor the Tim Holtz Stamping Platform has. ... They all use extra-strong magnets that can break and shatter easily; be sure to do some research on preventing problems before you purchase one of the tools.
Thanx for the advice! This is the beginning of my research! I was not even aware that SU has one, so thanx for the info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2018, 03:24 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi, I bought the TH Stamping Platform, despite never really believing I needed one! I didn't get a MISTI- I found, especially over here in the UK, the price was far higher than I could justify.
But, I'm glad I waited and got Tims. I love the fact that two sides are open, meaning I can stamp onto any size of cardstock I like. One thing I notice in many US card making videos I watch, is that you seem to cut all your pieces to size before starting. I don't, I trim down at the end.
I like the fact I just have to turn the lid for different stamps- clear & rubber. The hinges are extremely sturdy, being lined with metal, so not likely to snap.
I also liked the price point of Tim's platform, as I said, I thought the MISTI an exorbitant price, particularly as they were being made in China.
Buy extra magnets, and use the tip of wrapping them in Washi tape to make them easier to pick up, and as Tim says, consign them to opposite corners, or they fight!
Best reasons to me for having one- re stamping if you don't get a great image first time, the fact that even if you get ink around the edges of a stamp, it doesn't transfer to your cardstock, and that if you somehow manage to get ink on your fingers from your inkpad, no more accidentally transferring that to your project!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2018, 03:25 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post

I love multi-step stamping and also do multiples of cards, so I love the Memory MISTI for those purposes.

I haven't had the TH platform that long, but I am much preferring the MISTI over it. Like Arlene said, the TH does not have the foam cushion, which is just 3mm fun foam. I have always used cushion of some sort since I began stamping a long time ago. I tried a piece of foam in the TH; the lid would not close properly, so it was difficult to get a good impression. In addition, the lid of the TH is stiffer than the MISTI. With some stamps, I need to apply a little bit more pressure, which I can do with the MISTI, and can't do with the TH.

I'm also in agreement with Arlene about the bar magnets instead of the ones that come with each tool. I tried a bar magnet in the TH; this made it even more difficult to get a good impression (and the magnets are the same thickness).

Finally, if I'm stamping directly on a card front, I like to stamp before I fold the card. This is a plus for the TH since it has an open side. However, I've had no problems with my cardstock extending outside the MISTI, so once again there's no benefit to me from the TH platform. (This was before I bought the Memory MISTI.)

One more thing: if you get the MISTI, I would advise you to buy a piece of 3mm fun foam to put under the MISTI lid when you're inking your stamps. If you don't have something under the lid, it bounces a little since it doesn't lie completely flat when it's open, and I think the foam helps prevent wear and tear on the lid and the hinges.

Ok, just one more thing , the price difference between the two. I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy the MISTI again. In fact, I'm fairly certain I'll be selling the TH platform.
Thanx so much. Your info is very helpful! The bar magnets...are these an accessory that does not come with the MISTI set? Or are they just an extra item purchased separately somewhere else? And where does one get them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2018, 04:02 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post

Not trying to talk you out of selling the Tim platform - everyone has their faves - but there was a manufacturing flaw that affected the lid/impressions on some Tim platforms, so you may have one those. People have said that Tonic has been responsive and replaced them.

Partly I'm guessing that you have a Tim platform that may be defective because I use a bar magnet, others do at my LSS, plus some have posted here that do. The platform works the same as with the round magnets.

The lid on the Tim platform is quite a bit heftier/stronger than on the Misti, which is why some "CPR stampers" like it. Others wouldn't care since they don't abuse their platforms. I'd never exert the force I use on the Tim platform with a Misti. My regular size Misti has a few hairline cracks around the hinges as it is, though it still works fine.

Last edited by bjeans; 03-24-2018 at 04:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2018, 06:38 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Love my Tim Holtz Platform - easy to use, very sturdy, inky messes( when I over ink a stamp) wipes right off, can use any size paper, uses any bar magnet, makes great impressions. Price point is also much better than the Misti which I have used but am not crazy about.
Have got to admit that the Stampin' Up's Stamparatus looks interesting but I do not need two positioners - YET!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2018, 10:09 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Tim Holtz Stamping platform, a MISTI and a Mini MISTI. I love my TH platform... the quality is SO much better than the MISTI (both of my MISTI's are now sitting in a drawer and not being used). Also, the TH platform is a lot easier to keep clean. My old MISTI's are a mess and falling apart.

I am planning on getting the travel platform when it is released. When I get it, I will probably throw the MISTI's away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I forgot to say that I like the way the grid is imprinted into the TH lid, not just printed on. And the rulers are nice and clear and indented too. Bit of info, Tim said he cleans any ink off his with hand sanitiser, and that you can use anything to clean it EXCEPT acetone- nail polish remover.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2018, 02:32 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I forgot to say that I like the way the grid is imprinted into the TH lid, not just printed on. And the rulers are nice and clear and indented too. Bit of info, Tim said he cleans any ink off his with hand sanitiser, and that you can use anything to clean it EXCEPT acetone- nail polish remover.

Yes! Tim and his bottle of Purell! lol I have a big pump bottle of it that's way past the expiration date. I don't know if it really expires, but decided not to chance it, so was going to toss it - until I remembered it would make a great cleaner. (Thank you Tim.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2018, 03:14 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Ditto, bjeans. Hubby went into overprotective mode when I first came home after having surgery, and I think we had more antibacterial gel than the rest of the free world. There were bottles everywhere, lol. Nobody was as glad as me when I found out how good a craft room cleaner it is- the end is in sight, rofl. Possibly only have half a dozen bottles left now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2018, 06:42 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Love my TH one! That thing is a workhorse, easy to clean, and gives a really nice impression the first time.

There will also be platforms released from Sizzix and another one from WRMK pretty soon. They both look very nice. Neither one stamps until you press down, so you can make sure it'll be where you want it before you touch paper with ink. The WRMK one will have extra plates available.

The TH one is on sale at Joann right now, and with the 20% off additional coupon, it's $16.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2018, 07:27 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I really like my Mistis. I have not tried the others, but for the easy layering and any repeat stamping required, works perfectly for me.
Also, the owner replaced the door on one when a hinge wore out......very nice of her. This was after hundreds and hundreds of greeting cards plus hundreds of monogrammed cards.I keep asking myself.....how did we do this kind of stamping before the Misti came out???
I certainty am not steady enough to do repeat stamping with just acrylic blocks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2018, 08:21 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be interested in how well some of these new designs work-Sizzix and WRMK. With all the layering going on it’s not unreasonable to have several. If I had it to do over and could have two I would choose the two Tonic platforms over my Mistis. Durability, open sides, ease of cleaning, solid impressions near the bumpers, portability, and price would be my reasons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2018, 04:28 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a regular size MISTI and a Tim H. Platform. With the MISTI, I was tired of taking the foam out, putting it back in, and taking it out again, whenever I switch from cling to clear stamps. SO, now I use the MISTI for clear stamps and the Platform for the cling stamps. If I had to choose just one of them, I would definitely choose the Platform, because of the reasons that have been mentioned before. It is sturdy, easy to clean, has the open sides, and the lid is easy to flip depending on the type of stamp being used, etc. And the Platform costs less, if that means anything to you......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2018, 12:22 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Misti stamping ng or Tim Holtz stamping platform

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
I will be interested in how well some of these new designs work-Sizzix and WRMK. With all the layering going on it�s not unreasonable to have several. If I had it to do over and could have two I would choose the two Tonic platforms over my Mistis. Durability, open sides, ease of cleaning, solid impressions near the bumpers, portability, and price would be my reasons.

I have stated several times why I love My WRMK positioner. Stamps great, open on two sides etc. Best part NO magnets required or foam, It could be because of the way it is hinged that it has �give �and I assume why no foam required.no flipping plates either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2018, 12:43 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Too bad we don't all live within a few miles of each other and everyone could try all the platforms.

The WRMK one is the one I got rid of. I agree it was nice not to worry about foam or no foam. But I wanted a magnetic base in order to place anywhere. The thin plastic wasn't a fave - much less hefty than the Tim, but then again, others might prefer a light weight one. YMMV.

I just can't wait for Tim's travel platform, and at that point I'll have four (reg Misti, little Misti, Tim, travel Tim), which is nuts, so will donate the regular Misti to a local senior center that does card making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2018, 01:30 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of good info here. As usual, it seems a matter of personal preference. And, yes, wouldn't it be nice to be able to try all before purchasing?

I haven't seen anyone mention that Hampton Arts' stamp perfect. It's almost identical the MISTI. I have one; it's like there others with its pros and cons, so I won't throw a wrench in the works by detailing it. Just know it's another option, if you're interested.

You can tell when an idea is good, the market quickly sees many copy-cats. There are so many options out there, and the prices usually come down - we consumers are the winners in that case. So, yay competitive markets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Not a stamping platform, but a type of block with feet to help with positioning before committing - before pressing down - is this Fiskars block. (It's not their stamping press with foam feet.) It comes in a set with other sizes. I've had fun with it when stamping lots of tiny images to make a background. Since there's no lid, sometimes it's quicker than when using a platform. I've used it for simple, small images.

In a Jennifer McGuire video I haven't located yet, she uses it for that main purpose, but this one gives you the idea. She starts using it at 4:15 - though *not* like a press, but then talks about using it if you don't have a stamping platform at about 5:00. Clear as mud...

Stamping With Dies + Giveaways - Jennifer McGuire Ink

Last edited by bjeans; 03-25-2018 at 02:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2018, 10:00 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

I have the original Misti, TH and the Stamparatus. They're all good but I would buy the Stamparatus because it's sturdy and has the ability for 4 stamping surfaces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2018, 05:12 AM   #24  
Inking Addict

I love my TH. Have tried the Misti, but the TH works better for me. I can use any size paper, including 12x12, it's sturdy, and it doesn't need shims or work-arounds or fun foam or anything like that. You just flip the lid for rubber or clear stamps. It stamps right up to the hinges and in the corner. I love the imprinted grid, I don't need to buy a special cleaner. The only thing it can't do that I would sort of like is the hinge step stamping that the new SU one does, but until they get all the bugs worked out on that I won't even consider spending the money just for one technique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2018, 05:25 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

For anyone interested, the Tim travel platform is available now at scrapbook.com and will be in the UK on special on their crafting channel today at 6 and 9 p.m. (UK time) and tomorrow for maybe 30 days - hochanda.com
Reply With Quote Likes