Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! Must Haves for Beginner SU Demo?

So I'm thinking about becoming a demo and while my hopefully soon-to-be upline has been really helpful with suggestions for products and such I was wondering what you guys think a brand new SU demo (who has almost nothing SU except a lot of retired stamps :( ) should have?

Things to keep in mind: I'm a poor college student (who shouldn't be spending more $$ on crafts but...I can't help it!) and I'm currently more of a card-maker but I am going to try and do more crafty projects and try my hand at scrapbooking. I'm hoping your suggestions can help me budget :mrgreen:

I'm particularly interested in whether or not to invest in full sized stamp pads or the spots (I currently have about 20 of the small square VersaColor stamps and am rather used to that) or even the markers... what are the pros and cons? Which do you recommend and why? What about colors?

What punches, tools, accessories, etc do you think a demo needs to get started on workshops and what not? What are things that are good but can wait till later?

I know a lot of it this is based on personal style/taste but since I don't really have a style/taste per se I'm open to any and all suggestions!

My Art site: Terra's Art of Doodling
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #2  
Glitter Queen

Red face i was also...

I am also a college student and when i started i didn't know what to buy. this is what i would suggest. you obviously get the demonstrators kit...these are very useful, but customize the stamps to what you feel you will be stamping with and using to the maximum at workshops. I customized some and kept some that my upline reccomended. well, my upline is older then me and we have different stamping techniques and purposes so most the sets she recomended did nothing for me! i started by buying the stamp pads individually then realized i just had to buy them all at once. it was a large investment for me but well worth it. it was hard to explain at workshops that i don't have that color yet. most of those who were stamping with me also bought stamp pads quite quicker then they were when i only had a few.

so...stamp pads are a must

cardstock..i used to use my own then i realized how great quality SU paper is, so buy a few of their mixed packages of colors at first...then you have variety and options. as you learn what colors you use more or what colors you will focus on at workshops then buy more of those colors. i buy them a month before workshop bc i'm a poor college student. plan your workshop ahead of time or at least the sets you will use so you can order neccessary supplies.

adhesive....you can have your customers bring their own adhesive but i buy the snail adhesive and several refills...they also sale the same exact snail adhesive at your local craft store like joanns or michaels if you need refills quick...i have a few of these that i have bought over time for my customers who has forgot theirs to use.

embossing powder....customers are very impressed with the embossing powders and is often a hit. i bought a package at the local craft store and have built up my UP collection slowly. this product will sell itself and people will buy it!

the memories add on is great but not neccesarry. i bought it and found that unless u are planning on teaching scrapbooking i have found that i wasted my money.

if you need any more advice don't hesistate to email...i'm doing this through college also so i understand!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 02:15 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by JENDRANEYView Post
I am also a college student and when i started i didn't know what to buy. this is what i would suggest. you obviously get the demonstrators kit...these are very useful, but customize the stamps to what you feel you will be stamping with and using to the maximum at workshops. I customized some and kept some that my upline reccomended. well, my upline is older then me and we have different stamping techniques and purposes so most the sets she recomended did nothing for me! i started by buying the stamp pads individually then realized i just had to buy them all at once. it was a large investment for me but well worth it. it was hard to explain at workshops that i don't have that color yet. most of those who were stamping with me also bought stamp pads quite quicker then they were when i only had a few.

so...stamp pads are a must

cardstock..i used to use my own then i realized how great quality SU paper is, so buy a few of their mixed packages of colors at first...then you have variety and options. as you learn what colors you use more or what colors you will focus on at workshops then buy more of those colors. i buy them a month before workshop bc i'm a poor college student. plan your workshop ahead of time or at least the sets you will use so you can order neccessary supplies.

adhesive....you can have your customers bring their own adhesive but i buy the snail adhesive and several refills...they also sale the same exact snail adhesive at your local craft store like joanns or michaels if you need refills quick...i have a few of these that i have bought over time for my customers who has forgot theirs to use.

embossing powder....customers are very impressed with the embossing powders and is often a hit. i bought a package at the local craft store and have built up my UP collection slowly. this product will sell itself and people will buy it!

the memories add on is great but not neccesarry. i bought it and found that unless u are planning on teaching scrapbooking i have found that i wasted my money.

if you need any more advice don't hesistate to email...i'm doing this through college also so i understand!

Yea! Another College Student! I was beginning to think I ws the only crazy one to try being a SU demo!

Thank you SO much for the advice! I really appreciate it. So I should go for the full-size stamp pads and not bother with the spots or markers? I heard the markers are good if I want to use just certain parts of a stamp and what not but I still have my Le Plume II so I figured I might use those for now even if they don't coordinate?

I completely forgot about cardstock! I do have a lot of my own but it would be good to use SU ones so I can show those to people and also because I love that they coordinate with everything. I do think I will have to do some serious planning in advance as well since I'm poor too and because I will be hosting at different people's places and would like to make sure they're ready in advance!

Thanks for the info on the Add-On. I was thinking of getting it just to have extra supplies but now I may not since I'm not a scrapbooker...yet. :

You may just get some emails from me bothering you about all this stuff! Thanks again!:mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have all the spots, pads, and markers. I know, over-indulged! I love my full-sized ink pads and use them all the time. However, I know when I was a student, I didn't have that much room. I'd go with spots. And if you can afford the markers, those are awesome too!

I don't like lots of the sets that come with the starter kit--I customized mine. One thing I have learned the hard way: don't buy a set because you love the images on the page. Buy it because 3 or more projects/ways to use it instantly spring to mind! *Those* are the images you'll really use.

I use lots of brads and ribbons. Also love all the punches, but scalloped circle plus nesting circles (1 inch, 1 1/4 inch, and 1 3/8 inch) are a great place to start. Ovals, word window, stars (if you like them) are the next step, I think.

Congratulations on your new adventure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

okay from the side of a customers point of view this is my own personal advice okay, punches ,word window,scallop, double circle. these punches I find are very handy and useful for many projects. Paper you should get the assorted colors and get them in 12x12 this way you can cut them down to sizes you will use and not waste. inks you should have the stampin pad start with the basic bold brights be sure to have black, brown, whisper white, and some of the in colors you will always get asked about them. markers yes these are a must have but just get what you think you will need or you could go with the blender pens and then use your ink pads with those and there you have another sale. dazzling diamonds everyone is into the sparkly but hold off til you have a stamp camp that will call for it. Then more accessories these are for camps that you know you want to make sales with. sponges,sanding blocks,stampin mist,stampin scrub,blender pens,pure color pencils, watercolor wonder crayons,pencil sharpener,versa markers and the vers mark oh and the gel pen becaus it is the best ever. I hope this has been some help.I wish you the best of luck and always remeber you can always ask other to stamp images for you of stamp sets you may want to use but can not afford at the time and those can be used for a stamp a stack camp you know where you make so many cards for a set price. Well have a great evening .~~~bluegirl~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

ive never thought about stamping a lot of pages of a stamp from other people to use for stamp stacks but thats real smart!! i have a few stamp spots and hate them, i think they take to long to demo. i try to do my demos fast so everyone can do their work and the spots are tiny. i personally don't have the pens but what you can do is with your blender pens dip it into the stamp pad until it changes to that color and now you have a pen. I live off my blender pens and reccomend them to everyone. I loooove the watercolor pencils and all of my customers have them. The pastels are okay once you get a hang of them. I must more prefer my pencils because they aren't as messy. When i started i just made cards with what i had and i always hosted to workshops so i would recieve the hostess benefits. then i would use this money towards free product for me! I didn't profit much of myworkshops until later...but i still buy stamp sets i want for the following workshop by the previous workshop so i can showcase them. I also give all customers 10% off their first orders, this normally makes them a little larger then normal.

email me anytime i don't mind at all..i wish i had a student going through the same thing as me so i could get some help, bc my upline and i had a different outlook on projects and SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 05:39 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Just a few more things to consider. First off, who do you think your customers will be ~ young friends of yours or new moms or older ladies (well & gents, but I'm not to familiar so I'll leave them out for now) ~ Based on this you can pretty much get a sense of what type stamps you need. Your college friends ~ probably fun & fresh, new moms will want to see 'new baby & young kids' types & older ladies will probably want a more sophisticated style. Most people want to see a set that is going to give them the most bang for their buck ~ flowers do that a lot ~ with a great sentiment set & they can make lots of cards with just 2 or 3 sets ~ (at the stamps prices that's usually as many as the new comer will want until they are hooked).
I highly recommend that you get the color wheel ~ that way you can show how quick & easy it is to get fabulous looking cards. Get as many of the color families of paper 'cause a lot of the combos cross lines. Plus, this screams to the newbie who thinks that they have no talent that "Yes" they can do it too. Also, it keeps them from saying, I can just buy paper from Mikes or anywhere. Bring some of that paper ~ to let them 'feel' the difference ~ let the quality & coordination factors sell the paper.

Do not bring a lot of non-SU stuff. Unless you really want to your customers go to Mike's. Of course, if there is something that that can be bought at Mikes (or other LSS) ~ you could always let them know that. & bring back up the stuff that is exclusive SU & much better quality. You might even go the route of saying ~ what with the coupon saving from Mikes on blah, blah, you can get another SU set or another family of ink pads or papers. Your customers are going to know what you really love ~ tell stories of hard lessons you've learned ~ quality related.
Oh & another thing that is very important is the special Craft & Rubber scissors ~ I say let your customers give them a whirl ~ they are such a must have ~ when cutting all those stamp sets (which is my absolute least favorite thing about SU ~ hope they do die cut stamps soon ~ I actually might buy them again).
I'd also suggest to keep your demos simple (KISS) & I think that embossing powders really help with that ~ it really makes an impressive looking card ~ in a tiny amount of time...

Good luck with your new adventure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I've been a demo just over a year and these are the items I can't live without -

Markers (I bought these right away)
Crafters Tool Kit
Ink Pads (I'm still working on building my collection)
Crop a Dile (punches holes, sets large and small eyelets, embosses circles & more)
Sentiment Stamp Sets: (Sincere Salutations, Hugs & Wishes, Holidays & Wishes)
Image Stamp Sets: (Doodle This, Embrace Life, Priceless, Morning Soft)

You will get 6 ink pads in your kit: choose colors that you actually like..., five stamp sets and a variety of tools that you will be able to use...I recommend getting stamp sets that you will enjoy because if you enjoy them...then they will be something you will play with even when you're just stamping for personal use...and the more you like a stamp set...the easier it is to sell it...Utilize your kit as much as you can...when you have a little extra $$$ here and there save it to get the bigger, more pricey items that you really want...

Just my thoughts...Have a great day! Happy Stampin! God bless!

Stephanie Vittorio

Stuff I've Stamped
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 08:03 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

What I love about the blender pens is you get six markers for the price of three when you use each tip for a different color ink. I always smash my ink pads together then open it up and the ink residue on the lid is what i dip my blender pen into them you pickup exactly how much ink you want I know you cant do that with the ink spots but with pads you can and i love it !!! I have even borrowed reinkers from friends and just put a small drop of ink onto a plastic pallette , usually made from a recycled butter tub lid then used my blenders that way til I can afford to buy my own pad of that color or to see if it is really what color I will really use. Well have a great weekend.~~~bluegirl~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 11:52 AM   #10  
Inking Addict

Wow guys this has been awesome! I'm really loving all the comments! You guys are giving me some great tips and great insight. I am definitely going to think about who my customers will be and try to cater more to their tastes and really work on saving up and getting those accessories!

I think I've finally decided on getting all the families of the classic spots because I am ridiculously indecisive and I'm more afraid of not having what I want/need than having too much. Then I'll work my way to getting the full-sized pads of colors I really use and eventually collecting all the craft spots as I do enjoy embossing and what not. My only concern is that watercoloring won't be nearly as easy with spots as w/ full-sized pads. Meh.

I know I should use all SU materials and tools but I think that I am not quite ready to replace my Fiskars paper cutter, nor my green crop-a-dile, heat tool, etc... Maybe when I have more money but at this point in time I'm going to have to stick to what I have. I'm not sure what I will do with the embossing powder as I already have some (gold, silver, white, clear, and black) but they're non-SU... >.<

I really wish they gave more than 2 sheets of cardstock/package! It's just not enough for me (I'm a paper/cardstock fiend)

One last question: So do you guys think that since I'm getting all the color families in spots I should just switch out the 6 free stamp pads in the demo set for the In Color stamp pads so I have those?

Again thank you to EVERYONE!! You have all got me even more excited to get started! I think I am practically ready and will probably be signing up today or Weds!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #11  
Glitter Queen

i too will not switch out my crop a dile, heating tool, cutter and stuff like that....compare it to stampin up and you have the same products so let your customers know that stampin up carries the same exact thing in a different color. I have not invested in in color sets because they retire. so after they retire you can use them for leisure but cant promote them at workshops so i save my money that way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 12:45 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Since I don't want to add much fuel to the flame, I will offer one suggestion:
The Tabletop paper trimmer - great for prep for workshops and it really sells itself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #13  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by JENDRANEYView Post
i too will not switch out my crop a dile, heating tool, cutter and stuff like that....compare it to stampin up and you have the same products so let your customers know that stampin up carries the same exact thing in a different color. I have not invested in in color sets because they retire. so after they retire you can use them for leisure but cant promote them at workshops so i save my money that way!
Yeah I read somewhere else that most people don't actually buy a lot of tools through SU just because they can get it at Michael's/JoAnns, etc so I guess I shouldn't be too worried. And some of the women who I will be doing the workshops with may already be craft-savy... (they may know more than me!)

I am going to get the in-colors this time as I am swapping a few in for my Startup Kit since I get them for free. I plan on getting all the family sets in spots anyway so I don't want to double up on pads just yet till I know what I like. It does suck that they retire. Meh. But at least these are free =P

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have gradually replaced my tools with SU, although I still have a pink Cropadile. :-) You don't have to do it all at once.

Watercoloring won't be any harder with spots than with full-sized pads. Just touch the spot to a CD or other hard surface, and pick up your color from there. Good luck! Have fun with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #15  
Inking Addict

I will definitely think about that tabletop paper trimmer. I have the fiskars one that just slides up and down but this might be a nice alternative. Can you cut more than one piece of paper/CS at a time (if you can that'd be GREAT!)

I'm glad to hear that I can watercolor with a CD because I have a ton of dead ones lying around everywhere...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

be sure you have a full size black pad, that is a must have for stamping things to color in. Others to consider the craft white. Basic Gray and Basic Brown are good to use for watercoloring also. I think that as a customer I don't mind hearing that SU sells the same product, just a different color. I also appreciated my demo when she told me, "you can get this product at a craft store for 40 percent off" but she was very specific on the inks and papers, how they match and the paper to be honest can't be beat (the colored paper).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerraForeverView Post
I will definitely think about that tabletop paper trimmer. I have the fiskars one that just slides up and down but this might be a nice alternative. Can you cut more than one piece of paper/CS at a time (if you can that'd be GREAT!)

I'm glad to hear that I can watercolor with a CD because I have a ton of dead ones lying around everywhere...
oh yes, I simply adore my cutter (I have the tonic version) which is the same as what SU sells, just a different color. You can cut up to 3 sheets of colored card stock at a time. Anymore then that and it is hard to get the handle up and down. Save your fiskar one for scoring.

LOL on the watercoloring on a dead CD.. I have even take a drop or two of ink and put it onto a CD then diluted it until it was the color I wanted. Reinker ink is much stronger in color then what you get when you squeeze your ink pad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

I love my markers! I have all the classic ink pads and I use my markers more. People seem to really love them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I LOVE this thread b/c I just sent in my stuff yesterday and am thinking of a ginormous order after my startup kit comes with my 30% off. I would like to know what y'all love about the markers as I have heard others LOVE them and they are 125.95 but about $88 for all 48 with the 30% off. I am also thinking of buying a few sets that didn't fit into the startup kit prices very well (A to Z accents, Seeing Spots, Sincere Salutations)...I went for the Earth Elements but am ordering the packs in the other 3 families. I also fell in love with 4 other inks and am ordering those and the paper pack of just those colors (for workshops as what comes in the multipacks just isn't enough)...oh geez I could go on and on but I'm really excited and wanted your opinion on the markers! I've been searching for more SU product opinions on SCS so I was so happy to find this thread! Thanks and good luck to Terra!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Well i love my markers and I have had mine for quite awhile. I use them to water color I use them to do touch ups I use them to create special stamps you know color the stamp with different colors and then stamp it I just love them because I can take them with me when I am working on a project in my car waiting for my DSS after school or practice. With your discount it is a great deal one you can't pass up especially if you will use them and then you can use them at workshops and get customers interest up for wanting them even is they cant afford the whole set they can buy them individually or in the family pack. It was one of my first investments. Good luck to you as a new demo may you have many fun filled times and meet new and interseting people. Have fun sharing your interest with others.~~bluegirl~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

I just recently signed up myself. So finding this thread was very helpful!! Lately I have been building my supplies up, and eventually I'll start getting more stamp sets. What are some good sets to have to get started??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

I am signing up this week, I have been following this thread and appreciate all the feedback from fellow SU demos. Your advice and suggestions have seriously helped ease some of the jitters about what exactly to buy first and what to pick up slowly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

well for stamps you must have at least one baby set in your inventory because ladies are always having babies then one of my favorites for uses in so many different cards is seeing spots I love it sooo much that my friend has gotten one for herself. plka dots and petals is another one of my favorites.you need a birthday set one that you are comfortable with the one I have is a retired set and I love the set I have never updated isnt that awful I am that way love something and I stick with it. Be happy is a set i have had sooo much fun with too for girlfriends boys and girls just have to adjust for boys but I love it. And this year my I just cant live without gotta have at christmas time was Punch Pals I just think the penguin is so adorable . I also think a set with words or sentiments is very important to have. Something taht can be versatile be used for many purposes. I have a friend that tells me all the time why dont you have a set with just phrases or words well cuz I write stuff in my own handwritting in my cards. she replies oh that takes too much time. But you know lost of people use them. I have decided I am going to break down and get a set just no sure which. well I have gone on so good luck and have fun~~~bluegirl~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Since your are primarly a cardmaker, but also want to make crafty project (I'm guessing altered tins, post-it clipboards, etc.) definately add teh Tombow multi-adhesive to your list and the Crop-a-dile. I don't know what I would have done without them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would be careful about A to Z accents. I think it will retire. It was on the Australian retiring list, which is usually a good indication, but not a "for sure." Any sets that are new to the Spring Summer catalog are guaranteed to be around for another catalog time period. Keep that in mind. Sets that have been around 2-3 years are more likely to be on their way out.

I don't own a "baby set," but lots of sets have baby images. :-) I have used Wild about You, Bugs & Kisses, and Zoofari. Pick sets that are versatile, and then add sentiments for whatever occasion you need.

My best advice is to buy just what *you* love that you will find easy to show off. That's the fun part! And then if it retires, you'll still love it and won't be angry that you can't demo it anymore. :-) I think the markers are an excellent investment. I use mine all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

I just sent in my papers yesterday, so I'm patiently waiting for my ID# and kit. Meanwhile, I'm trying to decide what I want to put in that 30% off order. This thread is filled with great suggestions and information.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

I'm also brand new. I've gotten my starter kit and am planning my ginormous first order. Can someone clear something up for me? Don't we have to use the SU! products in our demos? I didn't think I was allowed to use my pink CAD or my current paper trimmer at workshops. What's the scoop?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, you are required to use only SU products when you demo, unless you are using something like a picture frame that is not sold my SU.

For my first big order, I was sure to get the jumbo outline alphabet as I covet it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

I've gotten the idea that you're supposed to use only SU products but like someone said, if you use your pink CAD point out that SU has the black one (the only place I've seen the black one)! If it's between me demoing a stamp set or a SU glue stick as I'm beginning, I hope you know which one I'd choose! I really don't want to cut out paper packs and stamps in favor of glue sticks but if I'm confused please tell me! I'd rather know now than get in trouble later! Thanks!

P.S. Darnit about A to Z accents! I hope that doesn't mean Amazing to Zany is going away too b/c I ordered that as my "free" set! I may still order it anyway as I LOVE it (saw some incredible things in the gallery)...but maybe I should get the Loads of Love Accessories instead then...hmmm!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 04:05 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is that many people do not like inking up stamps with spots. It is more difficult for them.

Also, another cost saver for you is instead of buying mono adhesive all the time as it gets expensive, use the Tombo multi glue or just plain glue sticks. MUCH CHEAPER. Offer the guests to bring their own or to try your mono adhesive, but if you let everyone use it, you will run out of constantly and it is a big cost replacing them all the time. Some people use ALOT of it per card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 05:17 AM   #31  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by meluvstampinView Post
One thing to keep in mind is that many people do not like inking up stamps with spots. It is more difficult for them.

Also, another cost saver for you is instead of buying mono adhesive all the time as it gets expensive, use the Tombo multi glue or just plain glue sticks. MUCH CHEAPER. Offer the guests to bring their own or to try your mono adhesive, but if you let everyone use it, you will run out of constantly and it is a big cost replacing them all the time. Some people use ALOT of it per card.
I was a little concerned about how some people don't like the spots but I think money and space-wise it is the best investment for me at the moment and I'm not sure whether my prospective customers may care or not... (we'll find out soon enough I guess) And I'll eventually get the pads but I will only probably get the ones that are used the most (I'm too indecisive to pick and choose as I go) Another option is for me to get the markers set first before I invest in pads because people seem to really like to use the markers. I have always been a glue-stick girl, actually, haha. I didn't really know about other adhesives until I went to my first workshop! I was afraid I was the only one who still used glue sticks =P I do like the permanence of the ad-tech adhesive that I have though and that's what I've been using for the cards that I sell. I totally agree that some people use a lot more adhesive than is necessary so I might go back to glue sticks. I do like the idea of having guests bring their own but I think my potential customersthey may not have their own (at least not for a long while). I've heard good things about the Tombow Multi-Purpose Adhesive so I'm interested in trying it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #32  
Glitter Queen

Talking What to buy??!!

When I first became a demo, the best thing I invested in were my stamp pads. I would definitely recommend full size pads. I purchased one color family each month so it wasn't such a drain financially. It's also the one thing I recommend to new customers. Many of my customers have told me they appreciate this.

Paper is also a must. Stampin' Up's paper is just superior to anything else I can find (at least in my town). I started out buying paper from my local craft store to try and save money. I soon found out that Stampin' Up's paper folds better and looks better when combined with everything else.

Hope that helps and good luck with your new business!
Reply With Quote Likes