Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crafter's Companion Gemini die cutting machine

Anybody have this machine and what do you think about it? I have watched a couple videos on it and I like it!! One of the features I like is that you can put a full sheet of card stock (8 1/2 X 11) in it, no cutting down!! It does come with a hefty price tag though!

Thank-you,
Connie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

the fiskar fuse creativity takes 12" wide i have that & see them on amazon for $99 free shipping it Is a very sturdy machine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2016, 01:22 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

@diecuts4U

Thank-you for the reply!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2016, 01:22 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

The Big Shot Plus also takes the full sheet of card stock (8 1/2 x 11), and can be found at $139.99, less than the Gemini, and may meet your needs!

Good luck.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2016, 07:09 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I bought the Gemini when it was the special on HSN. I wanted an electric die cutting machine where I didn't have to cut the paper. I wanted the machine to work, but I ended up returning it. It ended up making the paper wavy. Because of the wave parts of the die wouldn't cut while other places overcut, and it also ruined the sheet of paper. I then bought a Big Shot Express and I love it. It cuts like butter. I don't like having to cut my paper, but it's worth it to get good cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2017, 09:35 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I just got the Gemini (HSN special), and I tried it today. I love it! You do have to try out different combinations to see how your machine works, just like with any other machine, but it worked great right out of the box on the first try. I cut a bunch of thin metal dies, and I used an embossing folder that I had. Only once did the paper warp a little bit, but that happens in my Big Shot too if the paper is on the thinner side. I'm sure if I adjust the shims, that will eliminate the warping. Everything else was great. You do have to rotate the plates, just like with the Big Shot. I've numbered my corners 1, 2, 3, and 4, so that I'll know when I've rotated them correctly. I'm actually going to do the same thing with my BS plates. So glad I took the plunge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2017, 03:03 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Has anyone had a problem with the rubber mat (Gemini machine) being cut through when embossing? Mine is full of cuts after only the first few hours of use. It is happening with the dies that come in the box. Other than that, I love the machine. I have arthritis issues and that manual cranking on my Big Shot became a problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2017, 05:05 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlene IacuzziView Post
Has anyone had a problem with the rubber mat (Gemini machine) being cut through when embossing? Mine is full of cuts after only the first few hours of use. It is happening with the dies that come in the box. Other than that, I love the machine. I have arthritis issues and that manual cranking on my Big Shot became a problem.
I haven't tried that yet, but I'll let you know if I have any issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2017, 03:46 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I don't think this is happening when I emboss my Spellbinder's dies in theGemini. It seems to be the square frame that came with the machine that is the culpret. It has almost no border around the cutting edge-which is cutting the rubber when I emboss. I am contacting Crafter's Companion about this problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2017, 03:36 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlene IacuzziView Post
I don't think this is happening when I emboss my Spellbinder's dies in theGemini. It seems to be the square frame that came with the machine that is the culpret. It has almost no border around the cutting edge-which is cutting the rubber when I emboss. I am contacting Crafter's Companion about this problem.

Ah, I see. Please let us know what they say, and good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Ah, I see. Please let us know what they say, and good luck.
I've had this machine since it was first offered on HSN. I love it! I did have a problem with the dies cutting the rubber mat, but I found out I was putting my dies on it incorrectly and/or using too many shims will push the dies into the mat. So, you kind of have to experiment with the "sandwiches" to learn how your machine works. I've had to do that with all my dies cut machines. Even the Cuttlebug!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2017, 06:28 AM   #12  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Good morning!

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how much the shipping package weighed (maybe it's on your receipt). I might order one but have it sent to a different address and need to be sure it won't be too heavy.

TIA and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Actually, when I purchased the Gemini, the shipping was free. If you watch for the next time Crafter's Companion is on HSN, they may offer free shipping again. They usually do. But, be aware that they are usually limited to the number of machines they have to sell. You might want to check the HSN website because they are celebrating their 40th anniversary and they may offer to send it free. It's usually cheaper on craft days, though. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2017, 02:51 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

My shipping was only $5 through the HSN special (maximum of $5 for entire crafts purchase), and I think it's still going on. If you check Amazon, they might have the weight listed in the description. It's pretty heavy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2017, 10:41 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

I believe Crafter's Companion will be on HSN August 16th. Not sure if the Gemini will be featured, but you could probably check out the schedule as the day approaches. www.hsn.com If it is offered, grab it quickly because it sells out fast! Good luck! (no, i don't work for either one of these companies; just in case anyone is wondering about that).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by khoganView Post
I bought the Gemini when it was the special on HSN. I wanted an electric die cutting machine where I didn't have to cut the paper. I wanted the machine to work, but I ended up returning it. It ended up making the paper wavy. Because of the wave parts of the die wouldn't cut while other places overcut, and it also ruined the sheet of paper. I then bought a Big Shot Express and I love it. It cuts like butter. I don't like having to cut my paper, but it's worth it to get good cuts.
I experienced that problem when I used lighter weight paper. I switched to heavier cardstock and it works a lot better. Of course, the opposite is true if the paper is too heavy. I usually end up running Core-dinations paper through at least twice. I think because it's textured. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2017, 01:36 AM   #17  
FiP
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Am I correct in thinking this machine won't take thick dies like Sizzix Bigz??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2017, 08:40 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm not familiar with Sizzix Bigz. You may want to send an email to Crafter's Companion about that question. All of my dies have come from Anna Griffin, Cricut Cuttlebug, and Crafter's Companion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2017, 07:47 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiPView Post
Am I correct in thinking this machine won't take thick dies like Sizzix Bigz??
You're right,. It doesn't. You can't use the steel rule dies. They're too thick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2018, 07:44 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am debating between the Gemini and Big Shot Express and this info is very helpful! I don�t want to regret my purchase and know that Sizzix will be trusted.
Quote:

Originally Posted by khoganView Post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2018, 02:32 PM   #21  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I received the Gemini for Christmas (I love my hubby!). Various reasons prevented playing until today (mostly too sick, on and off, and extra busy work days).

I used dies that were included with the machine. It is wonderful! Fast, quiet and cut Recollections 110# cardstock like a hot knife through butter. Also did quite well with SU cardstock. I still have to try other papers (watercolor, Bristol, GKD, MFT, Taylored Expressions, vellum). And I haven't embossed yet but I don't anticipate any issues.

I like that it is mostly white (I like purple but not that shade) but it could be my least favorite color and I'd still want it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Default Backwards sandwich?

I'm new to this machine, but based on a video I saw, it seems the sandwich is built backwards when compared to a big shot sandwich. Specifically, the video said to place the die blade side up, then the paper, then the top cut plate. Does anyone have an issue getting the die to cut correctly if you have stamped an image? It's not obvious to me how to insure the alignment is correct. With the big shot, you can set the die over the stamped image to be sure the alignment is good.

Or maybe people don't build their sandwich blade side up?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2018, 04:22 PM   #23  
FiP
Kookie Creator

I've been told, and I have tried it, that when using intricate dies, it's better to use them with the cutting edge up. I agree that it does make it difficult to line up, although a lot of people use washi tape these days to keep them aligned. Perhaps that is part of its good reputation of cutting dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #24  
Glitter Guru

I almost always use my dies blade side down, including when using my Gemini, and I don't have any problems with them cutting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2018, 05:34 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyGirlView Post
I'm new to this machine, but based on a video I saw, it seems the sandwich is built backwards when compared to a big shot sandwich. Specifically, the video said to place the die blade side up, then the paper, then the top cut plate. Does anyone have an issue getting the die to cut correctly if you have stamped an image? It's not obvious to me how to insure the alignment is correct. With the big shot, you can set the die over the stamped image to be sure the alignment is good.

Or maybe people don't build their sandwich blade side up?
I happen to have always built my sandwich the way the Gemini manual suggests since it was how an instructor at an LSS did it with a Cuttlebug and Big Shot. (Once in a while I'd flip the sandwich, still intact, upside down, if it was a tough cut - saw Els on Elizabeth Craft do that.) I think Lydia (Understand Blue) does it this way too with her Big Shot?

Whether with Gemini Junior or Cuttlebug, I just use a bit of washi to hold down dies that like to move, and use the same pieces many times. And many dies don't need anything.

Jennifer McGuire commented on her Instagram account that she got used to it with her Gemini after a few times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2018, 09:14 AM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

I've built sandwiches both ways, actually. But, I do prefer to cut up into my clear base. Only because I can see exactly where I'm cutting when I'm using smaller pieces of cardstock rather than a full sized sheet. It really depends on the die. And washi tape is a good idea to help keep dies in place. As for stamping, I've found that stamping after the cut works better for me...so far! Although I do know of crafters who stamp first then die cut. I guess it depends on what you feel most comfortable with; more experienced. Crafters Companion has lots of helpful tutorial videos on Pinterest. I use those a lot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2018, 09:38 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

I cheat to align stamps with die cuts. I stamp, then on a separate piece of CS I die cut. I adhere with washi that piece of CS with the die cut "hole" over the stamped image and place the metal die into the opening. Then I die cut. They explain it better: https://www.iostamps.com/catalogs/DieAlignment.pdf
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 09:37 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 157 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks for that tip, bjeans. That's a great idea. I think you need to put it on the Favorite Tip thread. (This one Forums at Splitcoaststampers )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 10:24 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Or, if you own a MISTI, stamp your image on scrap paper in the MISTI (use a magnet to hold in place). Die cut the shape out of your cardstock. Align the negative cut over your stamped image (again use a magnet to hold it in place). Put your die cut into the negative piece and stamp. It will be perfectly aligned.

The only difference between bjeans' method & mine: with hers, you cut twice; with mine, you stamp twice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 157 Likes on 76 Posts

Another good tip. Now I want to go play with my stamps, dies and MISTI and experiment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2018, 07:39 AM   #31  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the Gemini the only electronic die cut machine (instead of hand crank)? I love my Grand Caliber but I am looking to get one with a motor.

I don't know if HSN will offer the Gemini again after they ran out. I noticed when HSN sold out of Martha Stewart punches, they never offered them again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2018, 07:53 AM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

There's the Gemini, the Gemini Junior (which we're mostly talking about in another current thread), Vagabond, Big Shot Express... a couple others?

Actually HSN has both the Gemini and the Gemini Junior with bundle now. The Junior w/bundle costs $20 more than Ellen Hutson charges without the bundle. Hers and other shops have the couple extras shown in Sandy Allnock's video on the Gemini Junior thread. The extra $20 for the bundle on HSN may be worth it for those who want the extra dies and stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2018, 12:28 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Consumer Crafts has the full-sized Gemini with the bundle for $169.00; mine came with the exact bundle listed on HSN. I just checked the Consumer Crafts site to be sure I was giving you accurate info. The Gemini is currently out of stock there. However, they offer one with a fabric bundle for the same price.

Due to the recent tornado :rolleyes: that tore through my craft room, I haven't been able to use mine yet.
SaveSave
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2018, 05:45 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post

Due to the recent tornado :rolleyes: that tore through my craft room, I haven't been able to use mine yet.
SaveSave
:o That tornado hit mine, too!!

I'm off to check out these bundles. I love my Big Shot, but with the recent HB 75% off sale, some of the dies are intricate and I'm looking for a better cut, without having to re roll several times or use a shim.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm still mulling getting an electronic die cutter versus a Scan n Cut or Cameo 3. I love electronic cutting (no crank!), but I also love the idea of not needing to purchase dies anymore...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 04:16 PM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Oh, such a personal preference! I had a Cameo, used it once, recoiled and sold it. It hit me like a ton of bricks that being a maker in that paricular way, using the computer, was trying to fit a square pet in a round hole. And i like computers. And had offers of help.

But I so admire people who do love and use their Cameos or similar, and think it's a wonderful tool - and they don't have the restrictions that I do.

So that helps tons, huh. (Not.) I know - get both. ; ) To me, the fact that you love the idea of not having to buy dies kind of tips the scale toward the Cameo or Scan 'n' Cut, since that wasn't part of the equation for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #37  
FiP
Kookie Creator

I have a ScanNCut and love, love, love it. Don't need to use a computer (unless you want to use Canvas - I never have, or if you wish to download SVG's of cutting files, which I have and that's pretty easy). I have the most basic model as that's all we have in Australia at that time. I would recommend the one with 1000 in-built designs if it's affordable. That being said, I will always own a die-cutting machine (thinking of an electronic one, but it's got to fit BIGZ and the Gemini won't). For embossing folders, squishing bottlecaps, small intricate dies and the Heartfelt Creations 3D flower mold, it's still gotta be old school.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 04:42 PM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

OT! FIP what do you do with squished bottle caps?! I looked in your Gallery and either it's acting wonky or you haven't uploaded projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 04:48 PM   #39  
FiP
Kookie Creator

No, I've never uploaded. I purchase new bottlecaps (think home-brewing), then run them thru my cuttlebug (there are videos if you're into it). I make them into necklaces or magnets or as a card embellishment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 04:57 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ohhh...good point about fitting the Bigz dies. I have plenty of those and would have to think hard about abandoning them.
Reply With Quote Likes