In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper
 
Alice in Md's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Towson, Maryland
Posts: 1,721
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ellison/Sizzix Patent Litigation Update

Scrapbook Update had an informative update on the Ellison/Sizzix die situation on May 1, 2019.
Here's the link if you're interested: News Archives - Scrapbook Update
Alice in Md is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2019, 11:23 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer
 
JoBear2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 6,669
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Thanks for the update. Such a darn shame this is happening Just creates alot ill-feeling
JoBear2 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2019, 12:21 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Savagetwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bronx
Posts: 942
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh my😱😥😭

Long post.
My goodness. You really hate to hear of these infringement lawsuits involving companies we all love, especially Sizzix. But this is why we have patent laws and those against infringement of one's creations.
We know that Sizzix was "our first". And, if I am correct, THE first. However, we also know that this was bound to happen. Look at MISTI 's situation. I always wondered why there were so many copies of her original design out there allowed to exist. Didn't it cross your mind? And I support My Sweet Petunia 100%. There are those against her and have even written nasty things about her including "She has no right". I beg your pardon. SHE certainly does. Last time I looked, the was still America.
My daughter used to hate when kids copied off of her in school. I used to discuss her feelings and told her imitation was the highest form of flattery. She didn't buy it. So I told her to discuss with teacher. My bail out. BUT I asked the teacher to discuss as a lesson in economics 😂. And then there are the halls of higher academia. You plagiarize, you gone. My sister once failed a student in Langston University for giving in a final paper whose words were taken verbatim from a known author. Sis was also a professional librarian. He challenged her with the dean of the history department. So, my sister was called in his office. They both had a hearty laugh cuz the student couldn't even pronounce the word "plagiarize". The dean told him what it meant. And also told him what the school's policy was against this academic crime.

So, we just sit back and let the courts handle it. After all, the law of the land rules.
I am more alarmed that Sizziz seems to be in financial trouble. I wonder why the product designers or producers mentioned in the article left. That's not good. But heck. I got an apartment full of Sizzix including the old red machine and the old red side kick. Got their dies also. I will always love them and the joy that this American born company has brought me, including my fav Tim Holtz.

The end.
Savagetwin is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2019, 03:22 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess
 
lutheran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: outside Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 7,473
Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

The info in the link was very interesting. The market is flooded with dies and I can understand Ellison's market share taking a dive. In the end, when the courts say who is right and who is wrong concerning a product, it is both the consumer and the small companies, usually, who lose out.
Mary Beth
lutheran is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2019, 05:48 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper
 
stampin stacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,543
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

thanks for the link...
Quote:

We know that Sizzix was "our first". And, if I am correct, THE first.
Sizzix original dies were not open though, sizzlets and bigz are a different animal so to speak because they have an actual cutting blade. This is not about who had the first crafting dies but about open dies. Cutttlebug and Quikcut dies when they came out were also closed dies. The first open die I saw was Spellbinder's. Go Avery Elle!!
stampin stacy is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2019, 06:07 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper
 
HeatherHolbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: KY
Posts: 2,384
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavagetwinForums at Splitcoaststampers
Look at MISTI 's situation. I always wondered why there were so many copies of her original design out there allowed to exist. Didn't it cross your mind? And I support My Sweet Petunia 100%. There are those against her and have even written nasty things about her including "She has no right". I beg your pardon. SHE certainly does. Last time I looked, the was still America.

The end.

My understanding about the MISTI is that she did not file for a patent initially, so it was completely legal for other companies to produce similar items. It was only after these others came out did she then file for a patent and went after those companies who then had to pull theirs from the market.
__________________
I'm stamping editor at: http://stamping.craftgossip.com

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
HeatherHolbrook is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva
 
iamvics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rochester, WA
Posts: 3,813
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

This thread has opining about the subject, also: Forums at Splitcoaststampers
__________________
Vic (Victoria) in WA
iamvics is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2019, 05:26 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
fionna51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fort Collins CO
Posts: 15,312
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherHolbrookForums at Splitcoaststampers
My understanding about the MISTI is that she did not file for a patent initially, so it was completely legal for other companies to produce similar items. It was only after these others came out did she then file for a patent and went after those companies who then had to pull theirs from the market.
I don't think this is completely accurate. I have one of her very first MISTIs and it is imprinted "Patent Pending". That means the patent application was filed but hadn't been evaluated and granted yet. It was 26 months between the filing and the granting of her patent.


Copycats are common during that time...they can sell as many as they can possibly market--until the patent is granted.
__________________
Diane
On SCS since 2005...Fan Club since 2007
Quiltzi...High Plains Member of Punchkateerz
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
fionna51 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2019, 12:42 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper
 
HeatherHolbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: KY
Posts: 2,384
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but I'm pretty sure I read an interview with the MISTI owner after the lawsuits were brought up and she stated an attorney (who was not a patent attorney) told her she didn't need one, so she didn't file until the copycats came out. She was trying to explain why she was suing these other companies and admitting part of it was her not doing enough research herself and relying on the word of an attorney that didn't specialize in patents.
__________________
I'm stamping editor at: http://stamping.craftgossip.com

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
HeatherHolbrook is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2019, 05:20 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper
 
stampin stacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,543
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

We seem to have wandered off topic. Is there any further discussion about the Ellison lawsuits, that is the one I am currently interested in. Should I abandon and quit reading this thread?
stampin stacy is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2019, 06:45 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer
 
bjeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6,427
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavagetwinForums at Splitcoaststampers
Long post.
My goodness. You really hate to hear of these infringement lawsuits involving companies we all love, especially Sizzix. But this is why we have patent laws and those against infringement of one's creations.
We know that Sizzix was "our first". And, if I am correct, THE first. However, we also know that this was bound to happen. Look at MISTI 's situation. I always wondered why there were so many copies of her original design out there allowed to exist. Didn't it cross your mind? And I support My Sweet Petunia 100%. There are those against her and have even written nasty things about her including "She has no right". I beg your pardon. SHE certainly does. Last time I looked, the was still America.
My daughter used to hate when kids copied off of her in school. I used to discuss her feelings and told her imitation was the highest form of flattery. She didn't buy it. So I told her to discuss with teacher. My bail out. BUT I asked the teacher to discuss as a lesson in economics . And then there are the halls of higher academia. You plagiarize, you gone. My sister once failed a student in Langston University for giving in a final paper whose words were taken verbatim from a known author. Sis was also a professional librarian. He challenged her with the dean of the history department. So, my sister was called in his office. They both had a hearty laugh cuz the student couldn't even pronounce the word "plagiarize". The dean told him what it meant. And also told him what the school's policy was against this academic crime.

So, we just sit back and let the courts handle it. After all, the law of the land rules.
I am more alarmed that Sizziz seems to be in financial trouble. I wonder why the product designers or producers mentioned in the article left. That's not good. But heck. I got an apartment full of Sizzix including the old red machine and the old red side kick. Got their dies also. I will always love them and the joy that this American born company has brought me, including my fav Tim Holtz.

The end.
Who has rights and who doesn’t is for the legal eagles, not me (not that they always get it right in any field, not just crafting). But there was a letter press - some say two - with a clear hinged lid that could also be used for stamping back in 2011. scrapbookupdate.com had an on-line article with photos/instructions. (PM me if you want the link.) Maybe it wasn’t trademarked for that purpose? That’s partly why another company is fighting back. Again, not debating, just that sometimes it’s not black and white, more like shades of gray, though maybe not 50.
bjeans is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer
 
bjeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6,427
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyForums at Splitcoaststampers
We seem to have wandered off topic. Is there any further discussion about the Ellison lawsuits, that is the one I am currently interested in. Should I abandon and quit reading this thread?

Since we can’t know what anyone will post in the future, who knows? Meandering happens in many threads, and when I’ve apologized for doing it myself, have been told it’s fine, it’s normal, like in real life. So I’ve passed that sentiment on to others.

Sometimes in a long thread I do a page search for a word or two to see if there’s more info on the original topic. But with the subject being another craft lawsuit, the convo seems fairly normal. YMMV though.

Last edited by bjeans; 05-05-2019 at 10:37 AM..
bjeans is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper
 
HeatherHolbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: KY
Posts: 2,384
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansForums at Splitcoaststampers
Who has rights and who doesn’t is for the legal eagles, not me (not that they always get it right in any field, not just crafting). But there was a letter press - some say two - with a clear hinged lid that could also be used for stamping back in 2011. scrapbookupdate.com had an on-line article with photos/instructions. (PM me if you want the link.) Maybe it wasn’t trademarked for that purpose? That’s partly why another company is fighting back. Again, not debating, just that sometimes it’s not black and white, more like shades of gray, though maybe not 50.
Yup, I actually did a review in March of 2011 for the Lifestyle Crafts Letterpress:
Review: L Letterpress from Lifestyle Crafts – Stamping
It had a hinge and was certainly used for repeated stamping as well as debossing/letterpressing, etc. but like you said I'm not sure what the specific patent covered.

Sorry, I don't think this is too off topic, we're still talking about crafty litigation.
__________________
I'm stamping editor at: http://stamping.craftgossip.com

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
HeatherHolbrook is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer
 
bjeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6,427
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Am I the only one having trouble with the Ellison lawsuit diagrams? (Probably.) I looked at them the when the update came out but gave up.
bjeans is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2019, 08:02 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess
 
southgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Texarkana, Texas
Posts: 690
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

In the end, no matter who wins, it will be the consumer (we crafters) that will suffer.
southgirl is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2019, 02:50 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Savagetwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bronx
Posts: 942
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyForums at Splitcoaststampers
We seem to have wandered off topic. Is there any further discussion about the Ellison lawsuits, that is the one I am currently interested in. Should I abandon and quit reading this thread?
I think the discussion is interesting. It concerns the companies we love. So, if you are not interested in the continued discussion, it is your choice. Not ours
Savagetwin is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2019, 03:07 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Savagetwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bronx
Posts: 942
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51Forums at Splitcoaststampers
I don't think this is completely accurate. I have one of her very first MISTIs and it is imprinted "Patent Pending". That means the patent application was filed but hadn't been evaluated and granted yet. It was 26 months between the filing and the granting of her patent.


Copycats are common during that time...they can sell as many as they can possibly market--until the patent is granted.
Yes, you are correct. Apparently the delay was in the process which you said. MISTI inventor made necessary corrections and the patent was eventually granted. A patent is different from a copyright which is different from a trademark which people seem to be confused about, right?
However, these issues go on all the time. And, the copiers will eventually lose of they have not abided by the law.
I also do not believe we the consumer loses. There are also laws against monopoly. Even the mighty Microsoft tried that and they failed, had to testify in Congress and that really shook them to the core. I lived during those hearings and Gates was shaken. What companies do is produce a better product using their own creativity. So the consumer wins.
Savagetwin is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2019, 03:10 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Savagetwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bronx
Posts: 942
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by southgirlForums at Splitcoaststampers
In the end, no matter who wins, it will be the consumer (we crafters) that will suffer.
I don't think the consumer suffers at all. The companies who are at fault have to come up with another and better product. Invention will never stop.
Savagetwin is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2019, 08:27 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac
 
stampinchicago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 274
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Any news?
stampinchicago is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac
 
lesleybd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Paisley, Scotland
Posts: 350
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavagetwinForums at Splitcoaststampers
L
...We know that Sizzix was "our first".
The end.

What were they the first to do? I thought the first people to make thin dies were Spellbinders. Surely the Sizzix dies are ar development of those?
lesleybd is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2020, 09:24 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector
 
RMorrRuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Arizona Phoenix
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Does anyone know how it has all ended? As I do remember, the court trial scheduled for September 2020. However I have not seen any news regarding this case.
RMorrRuth is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member
 
lovinpaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MO
Posts: 4,366
Received 202 Likes on 145 Posts
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMorrRuthForums at Splitcoaststampers
Does anyone know how it has all ended? As I do remember, the court trial scheduled for September 2020. However I have not seen any news regarding this case.

The case is over.  I think the companies involved can not say anything in detail.  Stephanie Bernard with The Stamps of Life was one of those involved and when it was over she breathed again.  She can't share details.  I am sure the other companies are the same as they made their agreements and are legally binding to not share.
__________________
Lisa

Featured Stamper #671
lovinpaper is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off