Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Which do you prefer to have -- Stampin Spots or Stampin Pads? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/do-you-prefer-have-stampin-spots-stampin-pads-227342/)

craftyteaspoon 02-24-2007 04:36 AM

Which do you prefer to have -- Stampin Spots or Stampin Pads?

I recently purchased my first SU ink pad and I love it! I got black because I have such a difficult time finding a nice black ink pad. Now I want to get more but I'm not sure if I should just buy a couple of ink pads a month OR buy the stampin spots.
Which do you prefer to work with? Any reason? Thank you for your input!

momis mama 02-24-2007 04:43 AM

i am going by way of a few pads and matching card stock each month. i like the full size pad.

i have to admit tho- i don't care for SU! black- seems kinda purple to me... i have a black stazon and another black pad i prefer for black.

i did save some money up and this month i ordered the many marvolous markers set so i could have all the colors to work with until i collect all the big pads!

good luck! and happy stamping!

Babsnelson 02-24-2007 04:48 AM

When the new colors came out I purchased the package of spots and then bought larger pads over time of the colors I liked. Spots work great for every kind of stamp but they are a little difficult to use on backgrounds. Backgrounds are just so big but it can be done - and I've done it!

StampingShawn 02-24-2007 04:49 AM

I have stamping spots, but never pull them out to use. I'm going to try though and see if they are less hassle than I think. It just seems like a pain to have to repeatedly use the stamping spot to cover a large stamp. But I'm pretty limited in my color choices, so this may be an econimcal solution. Looking forward to hearing what others have to say.

Shawn

Julesiana 02-24-2007 04:53 AM

I chose spots then pads.

The reason is, I LOVE color, and I can't stand not having the "right" one. Spots are fun, but the bigger the stamp--the more of a pain they can be. They also dry out and wear out faster. But, I have found I can use them instead of a marker (I only have a couple in each color family) to ink things like flowers (stem one color--flower a second or third color) on the same stamp.

Storage tip, 24 spots fit perfectly in a extra large size stamp box (background stamp size) or 12 fit perfectly in a medium size stamp box. It is easier to see them (and keep track of them) in the clear boxes.

Englishrose 02-24-2007 04:55 AM

I have a few spots but am replacing the colours I like with pads. It's very hard to ink a BG stamp with a spot!

ArtofLove 02-24-2007 05:02 AM

When I started stamping, i went straight to the pads. Basically for the reason the other posters mentioned - larger surface area. I think the spots are great for when you are going to a crop or something. You can lug more of those around than you can stamping pads.

nsruss 02-24-2007 05:07 AM

I bought all the spots over a year ago (and they still work great!) and have been slowly buying full size pads of my favorite colours. The only time they're slightly annoying is if you want to ink a large stamp, like a background. But they work great for what I use them for!

andersonsj 02-24-2007 05:22 AM

I am a demo and I use only the Spots. I have all the color families and the cost was cheap compared to buying all those pads. Also storage is much easier. I used them at my last Stack and Stamp and all of the ladies were impressed with how easy they are to use. I won't go back.

laderme 02-24-2007 05:31 AM

I think each has their place. Personally I have all of the full sized pads, and have some of the spots. If I travelled with my stuff a lot, I would have all of the spots just for convenience. My spots rarely get used unless I am taking them on a trip.

AmyR 02-24-2007 07:02 AM

I have both in all the colors (in Classic anyway - in Craft I have all the big pads) and use 'em all equally - but that's just me ;) :D

AngelinYTH 02-24-2007 07:25 AM

I like the big stamp pads better. For a little more than the cost of one set of spots, you can get 5 full size pads. These will last a lot longer. I don't think I need every color of every color family. There are usually only 6 or 7 colors I like in each group.

To pick out which colors I wanted, I just flipped through the catalogue & found cards that appealed to me then checked the back to find out what colors were used to make those cards.

jessiepepper 02-24-2007 08:12 AM

I bought the spots in one color family for varity, but after using regular pads at my demo's house I decided I would have to invest in the regular sized pads. They are much nicer for inking up images and don't fray nearly as easy.
But the really nice thing about the spots is you get a verity, I guess it would depend on how much you plan on using them? ANd how much money your willing to spend!

V.H. 02-24-2007 08:17 AM

I bought the spots first but found they didn't really ink up my stamps very evenly, not even the small ones. I'm now picking up the full size pads as I find a need for them and I'm finding this is much better for me. I have 12 full size pads that I use all the time.

imataloss 02-24-2007 08:19 AM

I bought all the spots first and became frustrated when using them with background stamps. My DH bought me all the full size pads for my birthday and I don't know how I ever lived without them. I do take my spots with me to crops though, but that is only because I have them and feel like I have to use them as I have $ tied up in them.KWIM?

stitchinstampin 02-24-2007 08:20 AM

I prefer the pads........for the $$$ it's worth it.

Lori

blondie912 02-24-2007 08:23 AM

I first bought the stampin spots .. now I'm buying the pads in the colors I use the most. The spots are nice for taking to crops or stamp workshops so I'm glad that I got them

Ally 02-24-2007 10:06 AM

I have the classic ink pads and the craft spots and I love them both. The spots are great if you travel and still want to craft, but I must admit I would love to have the craft in full size pads, I might buy them slowly! ;)

look-inkgood 02-24-2007 10:16 AM

[quote=Julesiana]I chose spots then pads.

I did this, too. I started with spots so I could have all the colors at first. Then I noticed that I was buying re-inkers for the colors I used most, so I kept track of those and started gradually buying the full sized pads. The only thing that was frustrating was to ink a big background stamp with a spot! But often, the VersaMark worked really great for that purpose.

look-inkgood 02-24-2007 10:17 AM

[quote=Julesiana]I chose spots then pads.[quote=Julesiana]

I did this, too. I started with spots so I could have all the colors at first. Then I noticed that I was buying re-inkers for the colors I used most, so I kept track of those and started gradually buying the full sized pads. The only thing that was frustrating was to ink a big background stamp with a spot! But often, the VersaMark worked really great for that purpose.

Heather_M 02-24-2007 10:24 AM

It really depends on your financial situation! If you can afford the full side pads...go for it! I started with a set of Bold bright spots, because I wanted a large color selection quickly. Now I have 3 color family's in full size pads (one whole family was free for an old promotion! :) ) I still have my BB spots, but I'm thinking I might only buy a few of the full pads for that family. I just don't find myself reaching for most of the color's very often.

KimberlyinMN 02-24-2007 10:42 AM

I mostly stamp with black and then color in "stuff".... I bought all of the spots last year along with the refills and the markers. I like the black Palette ink pad because it is such a definite black AND it's waterproof.

Kimberly

gladlove 02-24-2007 04:10 PM

I have all the spots because I like to have matching colors. They've been no problem for me except that, as others mentioned, the back-grounds take a little more time to ink. I have found that if i store the spots upside down, the ink flows more readily. I must admit that I also have a few of the large pads in black, brown and white in addition to versamark & some Stazon colors.

Arlene Bridges 02-24-2007 04:30 PM

I have an opinion not on your poll. Speaking from one who has all the reinkers and all the stamp pads, and now the markers to boot. If I HAD TO DO IT all over again... I would buy the SU markers before any stamp pads EXCEPT the black, the versa, and the black stazon. I tend to reach for my markers about 80 % of the time.

Arlene

SmurfBE 02-24-2007 04:57 PM

I have all of the spots, full size pads and re-inkers in both classic and craft ink and the markers too. I use everything. So, of course, my vote was buy both. :)

TJStamper 02-24-2007 05:16 PM

I have ink pads, no spots. The pads seemed like a much better deal to me than the spots. If you want all the colors I would say get markers until you can get all the colors you want in the pads.

jtax 02-24-2007 05:22 PM

I like both, but bought spots first and have only a few full sized pads; I add to the collection slowly...

twyant 02-24-2007 05:55 PM

I have 2 families of spots and 1 family of pads. I love having all of the colors. I have had my spots for a couple years, and they still work well. I too, like someone else said, store mine upside down. I am working on getting more pads. It is a pain to use the spots when you are trying to stamp backgrounds or multiples of one card.

Tanaf 02-24-2007 06:55 PM

I have all the classic ink pads, reinkers, markers and all the craft spots. If I am at home I use my full size pads unless I want to emboss. If I am traveling or going to a scrapping retreat I take the spots and markers to save space.

sherig 02-24-2007 07:14 PM

spots

I really llike my spots it is the way I can afford to have all the ink colors. l stamp at my friends houses allot I can take all my ink colors in a small scrap book bag. I only buy the large pads in the colors that I use allot. I was dissapointed that the new colors weren't offered as spots or as a set of spots. I am going to email su about that.

chrisations.ink 02-24-2007 08:25 PM

I voted to buy both. I got pads first in classic, now I'm working on spots in craft. I read this one one of the DD blogs - I'm enjoying the craft spots alot - colors are so vibrant!

Buckeyevoss 02-24-2007 09:18 PM

I have a few large pads but have bought all the spots in classic and craft. Made my own spots with in colors. It was a quick way to get all the colors to use on challenges. I really love the craft ink and will buy them in full size when I can afford them.

Sairabee 02-24-2007 09:30 PM

I bit the bullet and bought all 48 colors about five years ago on ebay (found then cheaper there). I couldn't deal with the tiny spots. They drove me crazy! I am debating now whether or not to upgrade to the bigger pads, but it seems indulgent since I'm not a demo...

scrappersister 02-24-2007 10:32 PM

I buy both. I like having the smaller spots for smaller stamps. I also like having them when I want to swipe a card using ink.

Mary

PUGMAMA 02-24-2007 10:59 PM

I have both all the spot inkers and all the pads. I personally prefer the spoters because I have better control with them. I think that it is a matter of personal preferance.

Dawson 02-24-2007 11:08 PM

Pads

I started out only having spots..... only because it fit in the budget.
For 5 years thats all I have used. Im finding out with the solid bigger stamps, spots leave lines when you dont want them too. So what I am doing is buying the big pads, one set a month. And when I travel, I will use the spots.
So if you stay at home....... I would say the big pads.
If you travel.... I would say the spots.

Dont forget to get your re-inkers. Not are they re-inkers, but you can use them in shaving cream, polished stone and other techniques.

Soozie4Him 02-25-2007 03:58 AM

I'm a demo, and after much experience with customers who have started with the spots and then ended up getting the full-sized pads, I recommend to beginners who really want to stamp, that they invest in one color family of full-sized pads. One thing you can do with the pads is ink up a wheel without needing to use a wheel cartridge - impossible to do with a Stampin' Spot. Also, I use the pads for watercoloring all the time. The "press on the inkpad to leave a little ink in the lid" technique is great, and I might scribble with my matching marker inside the lid or put a drop of reinker inside the lid. The advantage is that this ink will stay there for months, ready for you to use. With spots, yes, you can dab some ink on a stamp case or something and watercolor that way, but then you can't save that ink for another time. Hope this makes sense!

All my customers who have bought the spots have rather quickly moved on to the full-sized pads and wish they had done that in the first place.

For myself, I have all the full-sized pads and all the Craft Spots in color families. I have a few full-sized Craft pads too. I love having all the colors in Craft ink, but I don't use it that often, so the Craft Spots are perfect for me! However, a White Craft pad is essential!!

Susannk 02-25-2007 04:05 AM

I have only ink pads. The spots just seem too small for me.

eszabo 02-25-2007 05:04 AM

I like having spots in all the colors and only getting big pads in the colors that I use often or for backgrounds. I wish I had gotten all my spots with Craft ink, though. I like being able to emboss in so many colors.

Michelle Z. 02-26-2007 04:20 AM

The spots are too small for most stamps. After awhile, that gets tiresome. Investing in the pads is the way to go.