Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Do I Need It????? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/do-i-need-415901/)

FiStevens 01-31-2009 02:25 AM

Do I Need It?????

I'm talking about the Score-Pal. I see it mentioned here and on various blogs, but do I really need it? I value the opinion of the very creative and knowledge SCSers.

Indy_Patti 01-31-2009 03:05 AM

I didn't think I really 'neede' another tool - but was so intrigued that I bought the Score Pal anyway. Best decision in my craft room. I use it every day! Not only to score cards (much better looking folds than hand work) - but I am now making boxes, cubes, you name it! The ScorePal people are fabulous to work with (check out their forum!). You won't by sorry!

craftjunkiesc 01-31-2009 03:29 AM

I always made pretty good scores with just a metal ruler and a stylus, but I bought a Scor-Pal anyway when I found a good deal. LUV it! It was invaluable when I was mass producing Christmas cards that required an accordian fold. It's the ONLY tool to have when making boxes and such. Don't mean to enable you (yes I do), but I'd say you DO IN FACT NEED IT!

1chrystal 01-31-2009 03:46 AM

I haven't found that I truly need it yet. The groove in my Fiskar's trimmer works just as well and is almost always handier.

pbft 01-31-2009 04:23 AM

I used to use my Fiskars rotary cutter with a scoring blade or the good old fashioned "fold by hand" method. But with both methods, I often got folds that were just SLIGHTLY off (enough to bug a perfectionist crazy). I finally bought a Scor-Pal and I absolutely LOVE it! Perfect folds all the time, marks for scoring gate-folds and brochure folds, etc. And now I love to use it for "embossed" backgrounds - stripes, grids, diamond patterns. If you can't tell, I highly recommend getting one! :)

hawk 01-31-2009 04:24 AM

I didn't think I NEEDED a score-pal either (I DID think I wanted one). I used the score blade on my paper trimmer and was sort of happy with the results although I did have to fudge a few with my bone folder. A good friend got me a score-pal for Christmas and I love love love it. It stays out and I use it as my work surface with a gridded mat. When I need to score I can just slide the mat off and score away. Now all my cards line up beautifully without any fudging or nudging to line up the edges. And boxes... it rules for scoring multiples, very quick and easy. I made a dozen pizza boxes in a flash. It was something I didn't think I really needed until I used it and now I can't imagine being without it. Don't think of it as enabling... think of it as time management and who doesn't need more time??? lol

Lilliann 01-31-2009 04:55 AM

I say ya get one! I have benn pining for one for a while now. I wonder if they ever go on sale.... hmmmm....

lindylou1220 01-31-2009 04:59 AM

If you can find 6 friends who also want to order, you can get free shipping plus a free ScorTool.

It's a great tool and its inventor, Diana Crick, is the best!

Lilliann 01-31-2009 05:16 AM

oh really I may be able to do that .... Thanks for the tip!!!

momis mama 01-31-2009 06:10 AM

<--------- says...

'just do it'

you won't regret it!

stamphappy1650 01-31-2009 06:25 AM

I have a score-it and love it, especially for paper crafting (boxes, etc.). When I first bought it I thought it might one of those tools that I never use, but I use in almost every product. I can't speak to score-pal but there is another thread where they discuss the pros and cons between the two.

Also, I was talking with the owner of a LSS who bought the scorepal and then ended up buying the score-it. She went to the score-it because she does a lot of paper crafting and the score-it makes knife edge scoring line that is more precise versus the scorepal, which she said was more like a wider dent.

If you are going to make anything where precision folds are critical, then you might want to consider the score-it. It's heavy so not so portable, but it makes an exceptional line.

Dalek 01-31-2009 06:38 AM

Over the big pond, i bought an Accucrease and its good but basic, it also is made of melamine counter top sort of stuff and it chips and is wearing away so i'm after a scor-pal unless anyone knows of one that has a cutter blade but does everything a score-pal does. i've looked at plenty, seems to me the Fiskars type let the card move and you get wobbly folds, especially on gatefolds. now if score-pal put a cutter on one side that would be a marriage made in... well chocolate!

cjbapp 01-31-2009 07:03 AM

I asked this same question about 4 months ago...got the same answers...BUY IT.

So I did...and I LOVE IT!! I can't go back. I can't believe I was on the fence for so long! Yes, you NEED it...anyone who actually has it says they are so glad they bought it. The ones who don't think they need it, don't know what they are missing. The ones who are sure they will never need it (that was me) will kick themselves when they do get one, wondering why it took so long! LOL

kat2800 01-31-2009 07:05 AM

Do any of you notice the scoring tool dulls out pretty quick? I don't feel I am applying too much pressure. I am now using a metal stylus but does not stay in the grooves as well as the original tool that came with it.

kelsluvs2scrap 01-31-2009 07:25 AM

Go for it, you'll love it!

barbarah 01-31-2009 10:07 AM

I've been wanting one for a while now also, just haven't got it yet.

fura 01-31-2009 10:25 AM

I love mine, it makes scoring your card bases a lot easier.

ekip2 01-31-2009 11:10 AM

I got one recently and LOVE it!! I never could make a nice score with my trimmer or a ruler. I have really been enjoying scoring the front of cards and I even scored my own PP for a sb page. I do plan on making some gift bags/boxes and it will be very helpful for that as well. Andrea

cj nalley 01-31-2009 11:20 AM

Do you need it? Yes.

jtax 01-31-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kat2800 (Post 12945264)
Do any of you notice the scoring tool dulls out pretty quick? I don't feel I am applying too much pressure. I am now using a metal stylus but does not stay in the grooves as well as the original tool that came with it.

If you write an email to scor pal they will send you a replacement tool FREE! What great folks to do business with!

jeannie barron 01-31-2009 03:47 PM

If you enjoy paper crafts, you need it! I love it and use it on everything I make.

kat2800 01-31-2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtax (Post 12949730)
If you write an email to scor pal they will send you a replacement tool FREE! What great folks to do business with!

Thanks for the info!

campstamper03 01-31-2009 06:15 PM

Yes. you do need it. I just got one a few months ago, a birthday gift from my best friend, and I really don' t know how I got a long without one before. I to did a pretty good job of scoring before, but now, I can't go without my scor pal. In fact, I'm buying the carring case for mine so I can take it with me when I travel in the motorhome:)

FiStevens 01-31-2009 06:59 PM

Wow, thanks ladies, I knew I could depend on some good honest opinions. I am travelling to the US next week and will definately put this on my shopping list. Thanks again for all your help.

wild4blue 02-01-2009 01:02 AM

My sister is enjoys paper crafting as much as scrapbooking. She used her fiskars cutter with the scoring "blade" and was happy with that. I bought her a Scor-Pal for Christmas and she is amazed that she ever did without one! So I guess that goes under the NEED category...hehehe

wendykins 02-01-2009 03:01 AM

I always laugh when I see these threads, if you have to ask, of course you need it!

DaisyMaisieG 02-01-2009 11:56 AM

I use mine every time I craft. I tend to use it to create a fold 'crease'. It gives a really clean fold. I wouldn't be without it now.

Nurse_Terry 02-01-2009 12:41 PM

Yes, yes, and yes! I have had mine since they first came out and I use it daily. I also have the mat that fits in it as well, which give you another cutting surface. Awesome company to do business with and check out their website. There are so many wonderful ideas and projects.

LateBlossom 02-01-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mama (Post 12944757)
<--------- says...

'just do it'

you won't regret it!

I totally agree! :D

maryscraps03 02-01-2009 01:18 PM

Do you need it -YES
Should you buy it -YES
Will you love it -YES YES YES

now does that make you want to run out and get it now :)

AmberAKAmom 02-01-2009 04:02 PM

Yes you need it.

inkyimages 02-01-2009 04:45 PM

I wish SU would partner with Score-Pal so that demos could sell it. I think EVERYONE needs a Score-Pal!

Happy Stamping

Chucky 02-01-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkyimages (Post 12962019)
I wish SU would partner with Score-Pal so that demos could sell it. I think EVERYONE needs a Score-Pal!

Happy Stamping

I completely agree!!! I just got mine after Christmas, and I LOVE it!!! It kills me that I can't use it in my SU! classes (because I want people to buy from me!), because I know everyone would want to buy one!

TheOtherMeg 02-01-2009 06:39 PM

Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it!