Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Distress Mini Inks? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/distress-mini-inks-595428/)

Suzanne 01-03-2015 04:18 AM

Distress Mini Inks?

I'm curious...are there any techniques that you could not do using the mini distress ink pads?

I'm trying to get my art studio set up in our new home and since I don't have all of the distress inks in the larger size I am contemplating just buying all the colors in the minis to save storage space.

Since I've never been to RangerU and haven't tried all of the different techniques I don't know if the pad size will make a different of not.

Joan B 01-03-2015 04:51 AM

I can't think of any but I'm not a Ranger expert by any means.

TeeGeeDee 01-03-2015 08:21 AM

I also cannot think of any (and also am not a Ranger expert) but have a suggestion that I hope is helpful. Keep some Cut-n-Foam on hand to use in the desired size should you find the mini pads too small for any particular use. You would just need reinkers to turn the foam into a temporary inkpad.

Hope this link is helpful:

http://rangerink.com/?product=cut-n-...-and-felt-pads

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee

poppydarling 01-03-2015 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzanne (Post 20855974)
I'm curious...are there any techniques that you could not do using the mini distress ink pads?

I just bought a 4-cube pack on eBay, and I have been trying loads of different techniques with them, all successfully. Well, according to me :-)

The small cubes stack tightly and take up much less space, and they're easy to apply direct to paper on smaller pieces or projects. They are very juicy, and when they become a bit dry, I can just replace some for a reasonable cost, or even replace with new colors (I'm not a big reinker person).

Alice in Md 01-03-2015 11:37 AM

The little pads are working well for me, too. If you collect several of them, then you might "need" these specially-designed tins to hold them: Amazon.com - Mini Distress Ink Storage Tin -Holds 12 -

ailhelen 01-03-2015 02:04 PM

I love my Distress Inks, have all the big ones, have used for years and years and they just seem to go on. If I could afford it I would buy the mini ones as they would be perfect for all that I do and the thought of using up less space is very tempting. Also for water colouring when painting it would be easier to squish the mini pad onto my paint pallet and allow for more colours placed near each other. I think the only time you would appreciate big would be if you were using direct to cardstock to ink up paper and cant imagine doing that much. Love love the idea of mini and the storage tins.

Suzanne 01-03-2015 02:25 PM

Thanks for the replies!!

Joann Fabrics has them on sale with an additional 15% off that expires today so trying to decide if I should order all the mini ones.

gregzgurl 01-03-2015 03:18 PM

I make my own mini ink pads with the Cut 'n Dry Foam and reinkers. There's a tutorial on my blog (I'm currently on hiatus) HERE. It's a very cost-effective, storage-friendly option for me...

poppydarling 01-03-2015 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzanne (Post 20856502)
Thanks for the replies!!

Joann Fabrics has them on sale with an additional 15% off that expires today so trying to decide if I should order all the mini ones.

I saw their sale price and think I got them slightly cheaper on eBay (new) even figuring in shipping costs. You might want to check around � I'm always trying to maximize my crafting budget which is why I'm in the habit of doing that research exhaustively :wink:

staceylovespaper 01-05-2015 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurl (Post 20856542)
I make my own mini ink pads with the Cut 'n Dry Foam and reinkers. There's a tutorial on my blog (I'm currently on hiatus) HERE. It's a very cost-effective, storage-friendly option for me...

Thank you so much for linking your project, I love it!! The tip on the boxes you use is great!!

Inkin One 01-06-2015 06:28 PM

My friend bought 3pks for my birthday gift (2 weeks before Christmas) but forgot the tool. I need to order one.I don't think there is any major difference int he pads themselves except size of course. They don't need as much space, they are less expensive and you could easily get all of them for less than it would take to buy the lot of full sized ones, so the ink pads that aren't that different.

*My* understanding is this : The main difference is the blending tool . I gather this mini blending tool is much more efficient with smaller stencils. SO if my understanding is correct..the mini tool would work great with the regular sized DI if you didn't want to buy a smaller size of something you already have.

DianneB1030 01-06-2015 08:48 PM

So funny to see this here tonight. I thought the same thing, and as I have all the "large" ink pads, today I bought the mini blending tool and some extra pads. I've been wanting to do some inking techniques.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin One (Post 20860063)
My friend bought 3pks for my birthday gift (2 weeks before Christmas) but forgot the tool. I need to order one.I don't think there is any major difference int he pads themselves except size of course. They don't need as much space, they are less expensive and you could easily get all of them for less than it would take to buy the lot of full sized ones, so the ink pads that aren't that different.

*My* understanding is this : The main difference is the blending tool . I gather this mini blending tool is much more efficient with smaller stencils. SO if my understanding is correct..the mini tool would work great with the regular sized DI if you didn't want to buy a smaller size of something you already have.

Suzanne 01-07-2015 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin One (Post 20860063)

FYI - The blending tool you are talking about does the same thing with both the large pads or the small pads and it is just s round version of the rectangular version that has been our for years.

kaspring 01-07-2015 07:17 AM

The smaller round blending tool uses a foam pad instead of the felt pad that the large blending tool uses. I have both and I personally like the foam over the felt, there seems to be more control over the ink coverage.

jenjoy71 01-07-2015 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurl (Post 20856542)

So cool!!!!

Brenda71 01-07-2015 08:01 AM

The larger tool can be bought with foam or felt, I have both. The felt is more for alcohol ink techniques.

I just ordered most of the mini distress inks on Oozak.com | eCustomer Service at its Best!. They have a great price!! And the small blending tool was in stock. I also ordered the tins for a great price. I'm going to sell my large pads and my Organize More unit that holds them and the reinkers. I'll keep my reinkers and put them in a drawer. I just want to downsize my stash a little and this will help a great deal since I don't use them that much. I just can't get rid of them entirely. :)

Inkin One 01-07-2015 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzanne (Post 20860245)
FYI - The blending tool you are talking about does the same thing with both the large pads or the small pads and it is just s round version of the rectangular version that has been our for years.

Yes! That is what I was trying to say last night..LOL. They are the same but the smaller one is what is different about the line. From what I gather the smaller one works really well with the smaller size stencils..w/o as much ink waste maybe..and it doesn't leave the hard edges that can happen with the larger one. Oh..and you can blend on the inside of the card..and not from the outside edges inward as with the larger rectangular one. .

Suzanne 01-08-2015 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaspring (Post 20860435)
The smaller round blending tool uses a foam pad instead of the felt pad that the large blending tool uses. I have both and I personally like the foam over the felt, there seems to be more control over the ink coverage.

They make foam pads for the large one too.

Inkin One 01-08-2015 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaspring (Post 20860435)

IIRC the felt pads are to be used for Alcohol inks. I have never tired them with DI but they work great for AI techniques.