Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Daubers? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/daubers-367662/)

qoedvc98 07-27-2008 03:49 PM

Daubers?

I just ordered SU! daubers and am trying to figure out how to get the best use of them when they arrive. I plan to use them for both inking and chalking. How can I clean them between uses? Does anyone have tried and true tips for using daubers? Thanks!!

KathiR 07-27-2008 04:13 PM

I clean my sponge daubers in a bowl of warm water with dish soap added. I let them soak for a bit, then daub them until the water runs clear.

Nicole's Mom 07-27-2008 04:54 PM

I say as cheap as they are just keep them for certain colors. Some folks have a dauber for each color.

NikiE 07-27-2008 05:50 PM

I don't clean mine. I write the name of the ink on a little piece of paper and tape it to the sponge dauber. Then, I can reuse it whenever I need to sponge with that color of ink again.

qoedvc98 07-27-2008 06:07 PM

Thank you for your tips. I'll devote one dauber to a color and see how many I will need to order once I use up what I have. LOL Thanks again for your help. :)

gaylestamps 07-27-2008 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiE (Post 10697372)
I don't clean mine. I write the name of the ink on a little piece of paper and tape it to the sponge dauber. Then, I can reuse it whenever I need to sponge with that color of ink again.

Ditto - I label mine and use them for chalks AND inks without cleaning. I do dab them gently on scrap paper to remove most of the color before storing them.

They come in 12-packs, so I eventually got 5 sets.

Debra Hogg 07-28-2008 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaylestamps (Post 10698524)
Ditto - I label mine and use them for chalks AND inks without cleaning. I do dab them gently on scrap paper to remove most of the color before storing them.

They come in 12-packs, so I eventually got 5 sets.

Yes and I'm so 'crazy' that I have them for both chalking and inks, separate, didn't think I could/should use them for both lol

Debra

Mrsjvb 07-28-2008 07:11 AM

I use mine constantly, and have never had a problem with colors bleeding or running..I just rub them on scratch paper until they stop leaving anything behind. Inks and chalks on the same one, not even the same colors. Not a problem so far.

StampingShawn 07-28-2008 08:31 AM

I only use mine for chalk and dedicate each one to a certain color. I will mix and match by using the same dauber with two different shades of the same color without washing them. I just tap them and rub them on some paper between switching shades. It seems to work fine for me and isn't too much of a hassle.

Nicole's Mom 07-28-2008 12:06 PM

12 pack? where do you purchase them in 12's?

MaryBrewer 07-28-2008 12:14 PM

SU! sells them in 12's

Nan Cee's 08-06-2008 05:31 AM

I just run mine under cool water and press it onto a towel to help dry it and have no problems with them. They do get stained a bit. I use them with chalk or ink and only need the one package. I do try to keep the same color for each one, such as red, blue, etc. Haven't had to replace any yet!

kphorse 08-06-2008 06:27 AM

Now way! Ruins the blend on them! LOL

I bought two dauber cases to keep them in and have them sorted by colors and type of inks. Sometimes you just need that left-over smudge look!

I do kind of tamp them off before I set them back in the case and I leave it open until I am done for the day.

qoedvc98 08-06-2008 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorse (Post 10815338)
Now way! Ruins the blend on them! LOL

I bought two dauber cases to keep them in and have them sorted by colors and type of inks. Sometimes you just need that left-over smudge look!

I do kind of tamp them off before I set them back in the case and I leave it open until I am done for the day.

dauber cases? Where can I get these?

cjbapp 08-06-2008 07:11 AM

I actually only have 8...I only use them for ink, but I just have the basic colors:
Brown
Blues
Greens
Reds
Light Tans/Yellows
Oranges

I have two blanks which I thought I would use for Purples and something else but never have yet.

I just dab them off when I am done, and then once when I start using it again, and have never had any problem with mixing colors.

But I only use them for light shading and distressing...nothing like a larger area where you would even notice a hair of a color change.

Lindastamping 08-06-2008 07:18 AM

I found a case that has compartments (each one holds 2 daubers & 2 eyemakeup paddles) and have it arranged the same as the SU chalks. There are a few compartments left and have added the loose chalks that were added some years ago. The plastic containers holding the individual chalks fit in with the daubers and paddles in those extra compartments. I find this extremely easy to use. The color is in the same location as the box of chalks. It is great! Found the plastic container at AC Moore.

kltpiano 08-08-2008 03:10 AM

Speaking of cleaning, does everyone use the special cleaning mist from SU to clean stamp sets or is there an alternative? Possibly something we can make up ourselves? I know the mist claims to "condition" the stamps while cleaning.

StephStamps1982 08-08-2008 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kltpiano (Post 10844137)
Speaking of cleaning, does everyone use the special cleaning mist from SU to clean stamp sets or is there an alternative? Possibly something we can make up ourselves? I know the mist claims to "condition" the stamps while cleaning.

I use Stampin' Up!'s Stampin' Mist and love it...but I noticed that it dries quickly so I add water to make it go farther...I've never used anything else because I love the Stampin' Mist so much...and it smells nice...but people who don't like scents (like my upline) don't like it and use plain old water...I love the Stampin' Mist though...I can usually get a refill bottle to last about 3-4 months and that's with daily stamping...yup...I stamp every single day! Hope this helps! Happy Stampin! God Bless!

StephStamps1982 08-08-2008 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicole's Mom (Post 10705640)
12 pack? where do you purchase them in 12's?

Stampin' Up! for $10.95

ilinacrouse 08-08-2008 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qoedvc98 (Post 10696039)
I just ordered SU! daubers and am trying to figure out how to get the best use of them when they arrive. I plan to use them for both inking and chalking. How can I clean them between uses? Does anyone have tried and true tips for using daubers? Thanks!!

Usually I clean bunch at once together with the sponges. I fill the sink with water and add some green works (something like Pinesol, but more mild and eco friendly) and damp them all in the sink to soak for couple min, and then just rub them a little and rinse them well, so no soap is left in them, and let them dry.
Do not use them even they are mildly wet, it will ruin what you are doing (from my personal experience )

Stampin' Adventurer 08-08-2008 09:19 AM

I'm probably the only one not to think of this, but I was amazed to see Dawn use the daubers to add ink to a stamp in this video http://dawnsstampingthoughts.typepad...pe-holder.html

Back to my sheltered life. ;-)

kltpiano 08-08-2008 10:02 AM

Thanks so much about the tip to "stretch" the stampin' up mist by adding some water. I didn't even realize I could just spritz with plain water. I do have a stampin' scrub and really like that. I always forget to order the mist and I've just ordered! With shipping being so expensive, I know I will not be able to order it for awhile. I'll just "stretch" what I have left!

qoedvc98 08-08-2008 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' Adventurer (Post 10848618)
I'm probably the only one not to think of this, but I was amazed to see Dawn use the daubers to add ink to a stamp in this video http://dawnsstampingthoughts.typepad...pe-holder.html

Thanks for the link - I had tried to view the video yesterday but had trouble so I forgot to go back and check. Thanks for linking it - I never would have thought of using the daubers to ink up the stamp as she did. Since I don't have the SU! markers yet, this is perfect. Thanks again! :)

Luv2Smile 08-08-2008 11:44 AM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing Dawn's video!

Sharmill 08-08-2008 06:21 PM

dauber cleaning

I throw my dirty/used daubers and sponges into a nylon net bag (meant for lingerie)and put them right in the washing machine with my dark wash. They come out clean with not problems (they may be stained, but they are clean)

Morwenna 08-09-2008 12:36 AM

I have a pack of 12 Stampin' Up! Daubers and find that they're enough - I use one for greens, one for blues etc.
Occasionally I give them a clean by rubbing them on my Stamp 'n' Scrub with the mist added. They usually remain a little stained, but it doesn't cause any problems with colour contamination. ;)

stampercolleen 08-11-2008 09:15 AM

I 2 bought a plastic tackle box trays with 24 compartments each. I then used the SU ink pad color labels and placed one in each compartment near the top so I can read it. I have in each compartment, a 1/4 of a sponge and a dauber for each of SU's 48 colors.

It has made using them so much easier without wondering if I grabbed the right color!

inkin&thinkin 08-11-2008 11:23 AM

Does anyone know of a source to buy daubers in bulk (more than 12....we're talking maybe 50ish?) for a reasonable price?

Thanks!

France Martin 02-27-2011 05:17 PM

I have the Dauber case for sale at Stamp & Scrap with Frenchie check on the right side of the blog
Thank you all
France

mum2twinboys13 03-27-2011 09:12 PM

This is where I purchased my dauber cases from

Gary M. Burlin and Co. - Sponge Dauber Storage Box

craftdesigns 03-28-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qoedvc98 (Post 10696039)

I have daubers that are at least six years old (they're not SU though). I've never, ever cleaned them. Sometimes I do rub off excess ink on scrap paper before sticking them back in the upside down acrylic picture frame I use to store them in..but that's sometime. I have several...and do try to stay within a color family for each one. In addition to inking stamps with them. they're excellent for coloring edges of cardstock (especially die cuts) and blending ink colors for backgrounds.

I should add that I've never used any solvent-based inks on my daubers; I'm sure the solvent would eat up the sponge over time.

Boss 03-28-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

I'm probably the only one not to think of this, but I was amazed to see Dawn use the daubers to add ink to a stamp in this video Dawns Stamping Studio: Note card envelope holder

Wow, what a great idea! Like you, I had no clue about doing this. ;) Thanks for sharing the link, fellow sheltered-lifer. :D

AnnW 03-29-2011 09:08 AM

Wow, I love your blog (Stamp & Scrap with Frenchie). Thank you for the wonderful videos!!!

not2shabbydesigns 03-29-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by France Martin (Post 18013716)
I have the Dauber case for sale at Stamp & Scrap with Frenchie check on the right side of the blog
Thank you all
France

That is a GREAT deal! I love your blog and cards.