Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-01-2007, 08:26 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie looking for lots of advice

Hi everyone. I am brand new to stamping. I recently went to a stamp camp for SU. I ended up buying quite a bit of stuff. My question is what are some must have items for stamping from SU and what in your opinion is just as good to buy from Michael's. I don't mind paying a little more for good quality, but I don't want to get ripped off either. Are SU supplies far superior to others. What are some tools and supplies you guys couldn't live without. I'm trying to decide where my money is most wisely spent. Is all paper the same? How about the stamps and inks? Yikes, I'm overwhelmed and not sure where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #2  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by slraff
Hi everyone. I am brand new to stamping. I recently went to a stamp camp for SU. I ended up buying quite a bit of stuff. My question is what are some must have items for stamping from SU and what in your opinion is just as good to buy from Michael's. I don't mind paying a little more for good quality, but I don't want to get ripped off either. Are SU supplies far superior to others. What are some tools and supplies you guys couldn't live without. I'm trying to decide where my money is most wisely spent. Is all paper the same? How about the stamps and inks? Yikes, I'm overwhelmed and not sure where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

One of the first things I bought was the color spritzer tool. It was demo'd at my first workshop and I think just about everyone bought one. I haven't seen that other places, but I love the effect it produces... use it all the time. I enjoy how all the SU products coordinate. If you read the forums here, you'll find a lot of other things you just "have to have".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2007, 09:19 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by slraff
I think that the quality of SU paper and the inks are probably must haves. You can probably find tape, brads, eyelets, eyelet setter just as good as SU through other craft suppliers. Embellishments, ribbons, you can also probably find at other supplies as well as cleaners and cleaning pads. You have to look in the catalog. It also states if its exclusive SU product or not. If it isn't, you can probably get it some where else with a coupon. I hope this helps a little. Good luck and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

if you were to come to my craft room you probably wouldnt see anything other then SU stuff...i do have odds and ends of brads and ribbon..the one thing i can't live without is my crop o dile. it's not SU i do have the tool set from SU also it does serve other purposes like paper piercing etc. but as far as the stamp sets i look at it this way you can buy 1 stamp at mikes or other store for the same price of some of SU sets. I have tried other cleaners and i cant live with out m SU scrub and mist. and it smells good too.
Oh and a piece of advice actually its a funny story i got into a fight with a SU stamp pad my first few times using it.lol i pushed to hard to open it and it went flying and then i couldnt figure out how to get the thing back together
so just explore and have fun stamping..you will a ADDICT soon enough
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2007, 11:13 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

You NEED their paper and ink and markers!!!! FOR SURE The stamps are a better deal then most and have nice soft rubber! I think you can get the ribbon brads elsewhere just my two cents!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2007, 02:01 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I like things to match. SU's cardstock is so good that I'm willing to put up with their ink pads!! (hate the design). i would not get SU's basic black ink. go to a craft store and get Memories Black, or some other really waterproof black ink. SU's will bleed on some paper and is kind of a purply black.

I think SU's solid ribbons are a great deal, they match and are soft. Love them. I also get their brads and eyelets because they match, buy if you can find, white, black, gold, etc. get them cheaper.

SU's stamps are a good deal. However, I've recently fallen in love with acrylic stamps and LOVE them. Cheaper and so much easier to use. However, wood mounted are still fabulous and I buy almost all my wood mounted from SU.

You can buy clear embossing powder, versamark, Kai scissors, embossing gun, etc. == most of the tools == cheaper with a coupon some where else. However, if you have a good demo who is showing you how to use these, I'd buy from the demo. I mean really, what's a couple of dollars when you have someone taking her time to show you how to use the stuff? I think that is worth the few extra dollars!
Oh, and SU punches are fabulous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2007, 04:58 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I think a must-have tool is the stamp-a-ma-jig so that you can line up your stamps exactly where you want them on your card. This tool is the same no matter where you buy it. You definitely cant beat the quality of the SU paper, in fact it is the only cardstock I buy now. I used to buy cardstock at Michaels until I was introduced to SU. The cardstock at Michaels is a joke, really flimsy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2007, 05:09 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hello! I'm a newbie also and from my short experience here is what is a MUST from Stampin up: Cardstock, cardstock, cardstock and ink pads. I also think that their markers are great because you can actually color directly on the rubber. I don't have them yet, but I think that is my next purchase.

Everything else you can buy elsewhere. I have bought Versamark and embossing powders from other stores along with adhesive tape (double sided tape from Sams $7.59 for a pack of six or something like that). I have also bought stamps from other stores but in the end, the paper quality at other stores is very flimsy.

A heat gun can be purchased elsewhere also.

Good luck and if you need anything, let us know!

Peace!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2007, 05:44 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

Spend your SU budget on cardstock, inks ( but as Joan said, not black), reinkers, markers, watercolor crayons, and stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2007, 05:53 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Stampin Up

I have an arsenal of random manufacturers' stuff but without question I endorse Stampin Up CARDSTOCK. It's quite simply a better quality* than anyone else's. I use designer papers from all over the place but you can't beat SU's basic cardstock.

Pick one of the color groups based on your fav colors and styles (mine was the Bolds) and get the assort. pack. Then get a pack of white or vanilla and you're all set.

*quality: stampability, smooth texture, weight of the paper, cuts cleanly, and color coordinates itself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2007, 06:39 AM   #11  
KBW
Matboard Maniac

I have to agree with the cardstock - it is the best. If you want to get several colors of inkpads from SU, you can always get the ink spots. Not everyone likes them because they are small (1 inch square), but I love the portability of them, I take them to crops all the time and now I have all of SU's colors with me. I also have the larger size pads, but I have to agree with not the black - it does tend to look purple-ish and will bleed.

I say take your time in your buying so that you can see what you like and don't like, see if you can borrow a couple of sets from friends just to try them out or some of their other stamps (I am sure that they will have some!).
If stamping is something you will truly enjoy, then you will soon find out what you like and be able to make a long wish list like the rest of us! Happy stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2007, 06:50 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I use SU's Watercolor Crayons with the Aquapainter on nearly every card . You might want to check those out if you like to watercolor your images. And, like everyone else has said, SU cardstock is just wonderful to work with.

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2007, 06:51 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I was asking the same questions as you about 2 yrs ago. Dont waste your hard earned money on cheap cardstock. SU cardstock is nice and thick, smooth to stamp on and they match the ink colors. The price is pretty good too. I also like Bazzill cardstock (textured cardstock found in scrapbook stores), but not for stamping on. It looks great when paired with scrapbooking printed papers.
Like others have mentioned, I'm not a fan of the SU black ink. Versafine is another good one.
Many of the tools and scissors can be purchased elsewhere. I find the punches always work great and usually are unique to SU.
I've never used the color spritzing tool, but then it seems that once I see something demonstrated it goes on a wish list. ;)
happy stamping,
Adelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2007, 07:25 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I too like everything to match, so stick with SU products for cardstock and ink. I find that their ribbon is a high quality, but I'd try to get in on a ribbon share so you can get some of all of the colors, without having TONS of ribbon. To start out, I'd do what redfirekat mentioned above, choosing a color family and getting the assorted pack of paper. That way you have at least one 'family' of colors to work with.

Also, with the stamp sets...if you're anything like me, you'll want lots. I could make so many different cards with what I already have...don't know why I keep getting more!

I also like their punches. I find the quality is great...unlike some of the punches found at my LSS. I do buy most of the tools elsewhere though 'cause I can typically use a coupon and get them at a discount.

I also agree with what KBW said about taking your time with buying. Make sure it's something you really enjoy and can see yourself sticking with. It's an investment, for sure.

K...I'm done now. Happy Stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2007, 07:51 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

SU! must haves...

stamp & scrub! you really can't live without this!
CS and markers! they match and are of best quality
stamps are great quality and very reasonable. i like having sets because then the style matches (with in the set).

other brands of printed paper just don't match SU! stuff and unless you are scrap booking you prolly won't use nearly as much PP as you might think- believe me. i have enough to choke a horse and will never use it all- plus it doesn't even match SU!
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2007, 08:10 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Location: I am a Utah desert rat! I fry in the summer, but, oh, the winters are spectacular!

I love all things SU, but I have some stamps from Inky Antics that are great; most of the stamps from Micheal's have fallen apart on me.

I agree with several others. SU cardstock is superior, and I love the fact that the inks and cardstock are color coordinated. Have fun with all of your new stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with everyone here, the cardstock can't be beat. Get the coordinating inks and markers too and you will be in heaven. SU also has some brads, buttons, etc. in their colors so those are handy but not really essential.
For the actual stamps I think SU is the best in price and quality. And it is nice to get a whole set of images that go together.
I would suggest getting Staz-On ink in black and forgetting SU's classic black ink. You can get it from SU or your store but the Staz-On cleaner is a must and SU doesn't carry it.
For everyday (non Staz-On) stamp cleaning I love my SU cleaner and pads.
Stampamajig is really handy too, for positioning your images. These are available from SU and stores.
If you don't have a good paper cutter yet, that should be a priority too. I have found after owning 3 or 4 different ones that I prefer the guillotine style. I just bought myself the SU one and am happy with that, but I know there are other good ones out there. (I got SU's model cause I'm a demo.)
Happy stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes