Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-30-2017, 05:24 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutterpillar pro

Does anyone have the cutterpillar pro and how do you like it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default It's good

It's one of the better paper cutters out there IMO. I have the crop version for my home away from home. At home I have a Genesis.

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I've used it, like it, but have a Crop - funded during a Kickstarter campaign way back when before I was paper crafting. The strip of LED lights on mine were too bright so I taped a piece of very light weight paper over them. I ended up with a different type of rotary cutter last year, but think Cutterpillar's products are very good.

If by any chance you're near one of the Stamp & SB Expos you can try one out - there are still a few more this year. Cutterpillar has a booth for demo-ing and letting people try them out. At the Virginia S&SB Expo I must have seen 20 people walk around with one of their boxes. I like that the Pro has a drawer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2017, 06:19 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I really like mine. THe only habit you need to get into when using it is to make sure you keep the cutter cartridge pushed in against the steel edge.

I watched their videos several times before buying, and they have good advice.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2017, 12:03 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Cutterpillar Pro V3 and I do like it.

Because I�ve had mine for over 2 years it looks different from the version that is currently available. Mine is aluminum with feet � meaning I can tuck things (like a pair of scissors) under my trimmer. The newer model is plastic and sits flat on the table. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
I like the lighted strip that comes in handy at times
I only occasionally turn on the light and the battery life has been good
It easily handles 12 x 12 paper
I can get very narrow sliver cuts from a larger piece of paper
The blades never need to be replaced and it�s been cutting well for years

Cons:
It has a bigger footprint that my previous trimmer so takes up more valuable desk space
It is on the pricey side
It is possible, but more difficult to cut narrow strips when starting with a paper that is already narrow
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2019, 07:16 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Update: It's about two years later now, those who still have the Cutterpillar Pro---are you still loving it? Or no?? Last week I met a really nice gal who has had hers for a long time and loves it. After playing a bit, am seriously considering one....any thoughts? Or is there something better out there? I know WRMK is coming out with something similar....thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Just fyi, they exhibit at the Stamp & SB Expos. At last year’s show in my area, tons of people were walking around with them.

I think it’s a great product, and once in a while pull it out but wanted one that could cut many sheets of CS at once and chipboard, so have a Carl Cutter, on recommendation from some SCSers.. (They have quite a few models.) It’s more expensive but I love it. (I know of one person who got a defective one.)

I love some WRMK products - the envelope punch board is a favorite tool, and while not often used, the Crop-A-Dile comes in handy. (Mine was defective but they replaced it.)

But especially now that WRMK is owned by American Crafts, sometimes - *not* always - their products do not seem well designed or are poorly constructed. (I have experience with three.) I personally wouldn’t consider a paper cutter until it was out for a good amount of time with plenty of reviews.

I still use a Fiskars when cutting a tiny strip from an already narrow strip in order to get a specific measurement, since rotary cutters can’t do that. And a small Tonic guillotine comes in handy.

Just my take - YMMV.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2019, 06:49 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had my Pro for a couple of years now and I love, love, love it!

I bought mine at an expo too. I had been wanting one, watched all the videos, talked to people, gave some serious thought, etc. The only problem was that I had never actually touched one and was hesitant to spend that chuck of change without being sure I loved it. So next Expo I went to their booth and played with it. They gave me a whole demo and were super helpful. Bought it right there and haven't regretted it for one minute.

I use it on every project I make. It cuts straight and smooth with no fuzzy edges like most of my other cutters did. It's super easy to just trim off a smidge when your paper is a teeny bit too large.

My family knows to keep their hands off my Cutterpillar. Husband took over my SU guillotine cutter and that was fine with me; I definitely prefer the Cutterpillar. Kids would often use a cutter but like I said, they know to just STEP AWAY FROM THE GREEN ONE, DO NOT TOUCH IT lolol.

Really the cons are the large footprint and the fact that it's not designed to cut thick stuff. For that I do go back to the guillotine but I just got a Fiskar's ProCision which is supposed to be good for thick stuff. Stamproom has been in chaos for a while so I haven't used it yet but a friend has one and loves it.

But for everyday cutting I love it. I've had no problems with the blade dulling or anything like that -- except once I had a brain fart or something and cut thick plastic with it, and then the next piece of cardstock had a fuzzy edge. OMG I was freaking out, thinking welp I just ruined my perfect cutter what a dope I am etc etc. But I ran the blade a few times with no paper and guess what, it's fine now! Consider myself Scared Straight now and just use it for paper.
Reply With Quote Likes