Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Is the Crop-A-Dile worth it? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/crop-dile-worth-246968/)

caostampin 05-07-2007 04:47 AM

Is the Crop-A-Dile worth it?

I'm still on the fence with this one. I want to hear from those who own one of these gadgets. How great is it at setting eyelets? Eyelets are my least favorite embellishment, yet I have a truck load of them just sitting in my drawer. I tried the silent setter route and it didn't work for me. If I can just squeeze a handle and set the eyelet, great! My DH doesn't like the hammering too much.

Let me hear from you!

gamblemom 05-07-2007 04:52 AM

I think it is! I use eyelets again now. I have 4 different types of eyelet kits from before when I was looking for a "better way" to set them. Now its COD all the way

LovinTX 05-07-2007 04:52 AM

I have one. I like the way it punches holes. It seems to go through anything. I don't like the way it sets eyelets. I've tried every setting combination possible and it either doesn't set them all the way or smashes them. You know how the back side of the eyelet is supposed to flatten out? well the crop a dile causes them to split and smash. that's my opinion. some people LOVE the crop a dile to set them. if you have a good coupon and can get it half price then it'd be worth it.

kansmom 05-07-2007 04:57 AM

you will love it so much that you will run out of eyelets. I use mine almost daily for something. it's fast, quiet and SO much fun to use!

USAMoose 05-07-2007 04:57 AM

HECK YES it's worth it!!!
I'm a HUGE fan of mine... If you're shopping, get two... your friends will want one, too!

deb_loves_stamping 05-07-2007 04:59 AM

I really like mine too ... I got mine on ebay for a decent price. I never used to use eyelets much, too much work and too loud. Now its easy, easy, easy! It punches through anything ... I've seen my demonstrator make punches in tin cans and it looks awesome! I say go for it!

Aunt B 05-07-2007 05:06 AM

cropodile

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovinTX
I have one. I like the way it punches holes. It seems to go through anything. I don't like the way it sets eyelets. I've tried every setting combination possible and it either doesn't set them all the way or smashes them. You know how the back side of the eyelet is supposed to flatten out? well the crop a dile causes them to split and smash. that's my opinion. some people LOVE the crop a dile to set them. if you have a good coupon and can get it half price then it'd be worth it.

I have found the same thing....but it does punch nice holes!

Ferg 05-07-2007 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aunt B
I have found the same thing....but it does punch nice holes!

I have found this happens also. Maybe everyone is buying certain types of eyelets.

stampcrazydiane 05-07-2007 05:40 AM

I have one, and after a lengthy inservice on how to use it (it is quite easy - just looks complicated), I have found myself using eyelets more than ever! It does an OK job of setting - however, most times the back side is not visible so it is no big deal. It is very quiet - and I stamp at night when my kids are sleeping. I like it!

scrapmo 05-07-2007 05:46 AM

Love mine. Some times you can over squeeze, differnt eyelets require different amounts of pressure. I start with a light squeeze and then go back for a second squeeze if it needs more.

LSN 05-07-2007 05:48 AM

I love my COD! Nothing like being able to set eyelets quietly and quickly. Love also the feature that keeps the holes punched at an even length from the edge of the paper (hope that makes sense to you).

Linda

angelafisk 05-07-2007 05:57 AM

crop a dile

Definitely worth it. I use making memories eyelets and they set just fine. Just don't try to squeeze too hard the first time.

sharingiggles 05-07-2007 06:04 AM

I'm starting to like mine more, i think i was squeezing too hard. i like making holes with it because of the adjustable depth guide, but on the same note i find it needs a deeper reach.

homestead46 05-07-2007 06:10 AM

I recently bought a COD. Through trial and error, I do the same thing that Scrapmo does - light pressure first, then do it alittle harder if the eyelet didn't set in the back. Also, my son had a musical concert to play in and his belt was alittle large. I used the COD to punch another hole in his belt and it went through leather like butter. Love it!!!

Jenmouer 05-07-2007 06:11 AM

Worth every penny I spent (and it wasnt' a whole lot because I used a 50% off Micheals coupon)

mrussom 05-07-2007 08:15 AM

Got mine as a gift. Thought it was cumbersome at first, but once I used it a bit, looked at the video that I found on here and actually read the instructions that it came with, I LOVE IT. It punches through everything and eyelet setting works good for me. I too was squeezing too hard so I take it easier now, do it again if it needs it. I would split eyelets the old fashioned way too, so I dont see much of a difference in ruining eyelets with this tool. And now I can do it when everyone is sleeping (which is when I usually like to stamp) so no noise is good!

Southtxgirl 05-07-2007 08:25 AM

I love mine. I did use a coupon at Michael's.

jtax 05-07-2007 08:39 AM

Love it! I'll admit it took some time to get it right, but WOW - eyelets have never been easier - they get used a lot now! Go for it!

ajcmeyer 05-07-2007 08:42 AM

It is worth it for the hole puncher alone!!

grammatroll 05-07-2007 08:53 AM

I love mine. You do have to practice with it to get the right pressure when setting eyelets so you don't split them.

banana.cream.pie 05-07-2007 08:56 AM

LOVE MINE! I waited until Michael's had a 50% off coupon--then bought it for like $14.00!!!

missyintx 05-07-2007 09:30 AM

I love my COD. I have repaired my daughters leather shoes, punched holes in sheet metal to repair my door, fixed my bathroom shower curtain, and...set some eyelets. I have actually used it more outside of my cards and scrapbooking.

I love this thing.

Emily Ann 05-07-2007 09:40 AM

Yes, Yes, Yes, Oh My Yes!!!!!!!

Can you tell I like my crop-a-dile?

It is great. I have lots of eyelets and whenever I wanted to use one it was late t night when DH or DS were sleeping. The crop-a-dile allows me to set eyelets whenever inspiration hits me.

I would not give up my standard hammer and eyelet setting tools though, they reach places that the crop-a-dile cannot.

Example: I had a store bought card, (shock, and for shame I know) I wanted to make it mine by adding some butterfly eyelets. The crop-a-dile could only reach so far on the pre-made card.

I bought mine with a 40% off coupon but would have paid full price happily after using it a few times.

Shannon E 05-07-2007 09:47 AM

I love mine!! I jumped on the COD bandwagon a little late thinking I didn't really need it, and how great could it really be? Well, a 50% off coupon at Michaels and nothing else to buy forced me to get it, and I am glad I did!!

phillirk 05-07-2007 09:47 AM

I like mine if only because I can punch holes in a straight line.

SBinGA 05-07-2007 10:20 AM

I have used one a couple of times and it was ok. I like that it was so quiet but I didn't like the way the eyelet set. I don't have one of my own so I haven't experimented with the SU eyelets that I have. I may go ahead and get one with the coupon this weekend from Michaels though. Definately quiter when I am working in the middle of the night.

imataloss 05-07-2007 10:26 AM

I do love mine.....it punches holes with such ease!! I just wish it had a longer reach....so I still find myself hammering away when I want a hole or eyelet where the COD doesn't reach. That being said, I STILL wouldn't be without my COD.

Kassiah 05-07-2007 11:19 AM

YES! I absolutely love mine! Another great feature is that you can space out your holes evenly with the guide. The only thing that I have found it it won't go through pennies--I tried and broke it! But I had to run out and get another right away!

Marthar 05-07-2007 11:39 AM

PLain and simple: yes!

HOLLYBERRY7795 05-07-2007 12:05 PM

Its amazing what you can do with it. I woke up the other night in the middle of the night and was flipping through channels and found a overnight scrapbook party on one of the sales channels. They had the creator (or something like that... I was half asleep still) on it showing the different things you could do with it. He punched holes in canvas tennis shoes and added eyelets to them! That was really cute and it looked like it was as easy as the paper. He did jeans and a belt too. I wanted to watch what else he was going to show with it but ended up dosing back off. Go figure! lol

kikikaren 05-07-2007 12:23 PM

Honest to God, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat EVEN if it was full price! It is worth every penny!

PUGMAMA 05-07-2007 12:27 PM

Yes, I think it's totally worth it! Before I got one of these puppies, I use to hate using eyelets and snaps..and now, I love putting eyelets and snaps on my cards. It's so easy to use and the hole puncher, punches through just about everything! I think's a worthwhile investment and a great gadget to own!

lbreite 05-07-2007 03:38 PM

love it, love it, love it!!! It's worth it.

littleredrocket 05-07-2007 07:40 PM

Absolutely worth it! I haven't used any of my eyelets forever. My sweetie complains about the rack my hammer made. Now he doesn't know what I'm doing in my little craft room! Love it!!!!!!!!!!

caostampin 05-08-2007 12:21 AM

Okay, I'm pretty much sold on this one. Thanks sooo much ladies for all the replies. I guess I'll be off shopping for one online today. I just got to use those eyelets, they are such a nice embellishment. If my DH asks, I'll just tell him it's the new silent eyelet setter.

shastess 05-08-2007 06:07 AM

Crop-A-Dile is SO totally worth it! My friend was always doing eyelets and so I bought some but couldn't stand the pounding. I got a crop-a-dile and I love eyelets. I did a tag swap and punched like 30 eyelets in NO time! Plus now they have come out with a case for it! And it comes in lime and purple!

jess8869 05-08-2007 08:48 AM

LOVE mine, I also dreaded the noise and hated to have to go to another room to set eyelets now I can do it in my craft room no problems!!