Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-08-2007, 07:57 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To cricut or not to cricut

I have used a sizzix machine for years, and I love it. When the Cricut came out I wanted one, but the cost was prohibitive, plus my local stores were always out of them! And in reading some posts here back then, it seemed a lot of people weren't real happy with the Cricut in regards to Stampin' Up! papers, which is what I use 99% of the time.
I have a chance to get a Cricut (new) for a great price, and I am tempted, but first I'd like some honest input on their performance. Those of you who have one, are you happy with it? Does it work well with Stampin' Up! papers? Also, what cartridge(s) do you find are "must haves"? I might add I am more into cardmaking than scrapbooking. Thanks for your input.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I have had mine for several months now, I find I use it more than I use my Sizzix BigKick. I have 7 carts and if you are a card maker you might want to avoid the ones that are more alphabet based and not shaped based. If you look on the Cricut.com forums they have examples broken down by carts, I just got Paper Pups and I noticed most of the examples are cards rather than scrapbook pages. Christmas Cheer might be good for you along with Tags Bags, boxes and more.
As for how it works with SU paper I'm not sure I've never tried it. It works best with higher quality/thicker paper so I'm surprised that people have problems with SU paper which is nice stuff. There are 3 different places to adjust, one for speed of cutting, one for the pressure of the blade and one for the depth of the blade. That's it. Nothing else to do other than that. Once you figure out what setting is best for that particular type of paper you can stay with that setting. Unless you use the Jasmine cart, it's my favorite but because of the tails on all the letters it tears something awful. It's an alphabet thing though so you don't need it.
All in all it's a nice tool, I like it, others love it. I guess I'm just not as emotional about it as some are but I am very much an equal opportunity lover of stamping/scrapping supplies. No one thing is perfect, I like them all. It's all about having the right tools for the right job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I have used SU cardstock with mine and really haven't had any problems with it. I really don't cut anything other than CS with my cricut. I always keep the speed on the slowest setting and pressure on the highest setting. Then I just played around with the blade depth to get it so that I was getting great cuts. Since then, no problems.

I don't really have any one cartridge I like better than the rest. I have purchased several at Walmart because the price is so good... I think they were about $40 at my supercenter last week.

The cricut is such a versatile machine... I would highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 10:43 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

I've had my Cricut since Christmas and I really like it. I mostly use SU cardstock with it and it is rare if I use anything else and it works great. I'm at work so I could not tell you the settings I use for it but I found suggestions here on Splitcoast when I researching whether I wanted this for Christmas or not.

I am mainly a cardmaker but I do scrapbook also and I find I usually use it for scrapbooking but I do use it for cardmaking also. I only have 6 cartridges and I find that is enough for me (for now ). I love the versatility of it - you can change the size of fonts and shapes from 1" to 5.5".

If you can purchase it for a great price, I'd go for it!!! I bet you will find a lot of uses for it once you get it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 11:43 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I have both a Big Shot and a Cricut Expression.

I use the Big Shot more because I have a lot of alpha dies and it's very easy to use my scraps and cut out shapes and titles.

I do love the Cricut. I just haven't used it much yet. I think I'll use it more for larger shapes like flourishes, snowflakes, etc when I want to make them for my layouts.

Until I get more comfortable with the Cricut, I'll use the Big Shot more.

Hope that helps your decisions!
Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 11:52 AM   #6  
Total Quack

I love, love, love my Cricut. I can use it to scrapbook and for cards. I have several things on my blog that I've used the Cricut to create. I use SU cardstock all the time in my little bug and have no problems. As a cardmaker, I love the shape cartridges, but also love Zooballoo. It has great animal shapes, as well as a font with both upper and lower case. I love Doodlecharms, Walk In My Garden, and Paper Doll Dress Up, as well. I'm up to 14 carts and love all of them for one reason or another.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes