Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-11-2015, 10:11 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intricate Spellbinders Not Cutting Through

I have trouble with intricate Spellbinder dies. : No matter what I do I cannot get a thorough cut. I use different sandwiches, have run it through every way possible & still cannot get the corners to cut through. It is very disheartening because I cannot cut those little pieces out & when I try, it ruins the whole piece. Anyone have any ideas? I love the look of their dies, but if they do not work....it would be worth the extra money to get dies that will cut. HELP
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I took a piece of cs and put it under plate c and also had the die facing up. You can see if it is not cutting and peel away the border of the die (this usually cuts first) and then you will have more room to rotate the die. The cardstock piece really works well for giving more pressure to your machine. The cutting with the die blade up really helps me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They sell a "Precision Plate" it is made out of metal I use on my most difficult cuts. Sandwich is Base, Clear, Die, Paper, Precision Plate and Clear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2015, 11:59 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

the best purchase I have ever made is the precision plate to be used with the big shot. I used to have a terrible time with intricate cuts, running through multiple times, turning, etc. Now I get a great cut first time.
Sizzix Wafer-Thin Dies Precision Base Plate 10"X6.25"- at Joann.com

If you are not using a big shot, other companies also sell metal plates that can be used in the same manner.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2015, 03:51 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

I use the Cheery Lynn adapter plate in my CB. They have them available for most cutters: Adapter Plates
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2015, 03:47 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Poor cuts on intricate dies is a common problem now, you will find a number of threads on here about it. Some suggest the metal plates as a cure, others swear by dryer sheets(used)or waxed paper. Shimming the portion that does not cut well with some copy paper can help, as can turning the dies & card/paper, and running through again. I have a Spellbinders/Heartfelt Creations one called Delicate Aster, that is a nightmare to cut, so rarely gets used!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2015, 04:28 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Have you contacted Spellbinders Customer Service to ask for help? Which die is it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cricket54View Post
I have trouble with intricate Spellbinder dies. : No matter what I do I cannot get a thorough cut. I use different sandwiches, have run it through every way possible & still cannot get the corners to cut through. It is very disheartening because I cannot cut those little pieces out & when I try, it ruins the whole piece. Anyone have any ideas? I love the look of their dies, but if they do not work....it would be worth the extra money to get dies that will cut. HELP
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

We have a tutorial in our resources section with lots of tips for detailed dies:

Cutting with Detailed Dies Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2015, 11:24 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Do you have the die cutting ridges UP?
I have found on ALL machines the top roller applies more pressure to cut and the die cutting ridges need to be facing the top roller.

I also use Freezer paper between the die and the card stock .
Occasionally I use the Cheery Lynn metal plate under the die . You don't cut into the metal plate. It is rigid and not flexible like the acrylic cutting plates
so it forces the rollers to cut more deeply .

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 05:18 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Poor cuts on intricate dies is a common problem now, you will find a number of threads on here about it. Some suggest the metal plates as a cure, others swear by dryer sheets(used)or waxed paper. Shimming the portion that does not cut well with some copy paper can help, as can turning the dies & card/paper, and running through again. I have a Spellbinders/Heartfelt Creations one called Delicate Aster, that is a nightmare to cut, so rarely gets used!
So sorry to hear your Delicate Aster die doesn't cut. I have it and use it all the time with 100lb cardstock. I don't need a special plate and just use wax paper to help with the release.

I think there are a wide variation of quality levels with Spellbinders dies because I have several and all cut, especially if I use a metal plate.

I have more problems with dies with ejection foam and find I get better results if I just remove the foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 05:51 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

oh, my, what am I doing wrong?
I got one of these metal plates from Cheery Lynn designs and it popped the side of my bug off. I used the sandwich that was recommended. Thank goodness I was able to put my bug back together, but am wondering how to use the metal shim.
Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post

I think there are a wide variation of quality levels with Spellbinders dies because I have several and all cut, especially if I use a metal plate.
I think you may be onto something! I keep wondering why some people have so much trouble with their Spellbinder dies and I have a gazillion dies and they all cut . I rarely bother using my metal plate .
They are my favorite dies .

The problems may be quality control issues and we can't solve that. I think the dies are made in China. Perhaps there are more than one factory and the same die designs may be made at different locations Or some shift managers may be more observant to quality issues than others

All I know is Spellbinders has wonderful Customer Service and stand behind all of their products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by larueView Post
oh, my, what am I doing wrong?
I got one of these metal plates from Cheery Lynn designs and it popped the side of my bug off. I used the sandwich that was recommended. Thank goodness I was able to put my bug back together, but am wondering how to use the metal shim.
Thank you for your help.
IF you popped off the side of your Bug the sandwich must have been too thick. Your CB may have tight rollers and need a different sandwich with the metal plate, Try using this : base plate is bottom

1-3 pieces of cardstock for shims to make it thick enough to cut
"B" plate not "C" plate
Cardstock
Wax paper or freezer paper
Die ridges UP
Metal plate
"B" plate
Base plate

** The metal plate should always be next to the smooth side of the die not facing the cutting ridge side. Acrylic plates have some flexibility . The metal plate is rigid and should force the die into the cardstock to help it cut

HTH
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes