Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Craft Pads (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/craft-pads-33748/)

AmyR 03-07-2005 07:08 PM

Craft Pads

I am seriously thinking about investing in ALL the craft pads in one shot. I am a SU demo and I have the White Craft Pad (which I LUV) and I really want to start doing some serious scrapbooking. I have my album, paper and whatnot, and I originally planned on using my Classic Pads (I have all the colors) but I've talked to others who have done this and they've told me that the colors DO fade over time - the subtles especially - some ppl have said the subtles had faded COMPLETELY in only 2 years! :cry: So ya, I do NOT want to put a lot of effort into a scrapbook and have it all fade. And after my very long intro - does anyone out there have several of the Craft pads and have used them for a lot of scrapbooking? I read somewhere that someone doesn't like the way the craft pads are stored upside down b/c the glycerine started to drip?? I have NO clue about this! I need a lot of input on this before I make such a huge purchase. I'm the type that has to have it all at once, I have NO patience!! THANK YOU!! :D :D :D

Erin in Okc 03-07-2005 07:29 PM

Hi!
I was like you. I ended up buying all of them at once. And I have both classic AND craft! Same reason as you. I love my craft pads. I store them so that the pad is right side up, because they are just too juicy otherwise. I love that when I use them my wrist doesn't get sore from pushing down on the pad. I just barely tap my stamp on the surface, and it's completely covered.
As far as drying time, I've tried using my heating gun, but it warped the paper quickly. Now, I just have a different system when I'm scrapping. I preplan my pages before a crop, so I have my cardstock with my pictures. When I start to crop, I first stamp my title (or anything else I want to stamp) then I set it aside to dry. Then I mat my pictures or move onto the next layout until it dries. Where I crop I always have plenty of room to lay my pages out to dry without them being bothered.
I prefer my craft pads to my classic pads. That's just my opinion. HTH!!Good luck making your decision!

AmyR 03-07-2005 07:42 PM

Erin, Do you keep the Craft pads in the boxes they came in and just store them upside down? How does that work when you go to take one out from the bottom? THANX for your input!! :D

prttystmpr 03-07-2005 07:57 PM

craft pads?

Can you use the craft pads to do watercolor techniques?

lbirus 03-07-2005 07:59 PM

I'm not Erin but I think the craft pads are already oriented pad side up. As for scrapbooking, I have been using the regular pads for years and mine have not faded. (I stamp right in the CM albums!) But, I usually don't use the subtles. It also depends on how you crop. I am way too spontaneous and eclectic to wait on craft pads to dry. I would end up ruining my pics and my layouts too!!! :cry: Think about your style. Maybe order a couple and try a page.

AmyR 03-07-2005 08:08 PM

I can't order only a couple!! :cry: I thought about only getting a couple but like I said - it's all or nothing. I don't know why, but I have to get them in their sets - I like having them in their boxes otherwise I'm at loose ends where to put everything!

AmyR 03-07-2005 08:59 PM

BUMP

sewscrappy 03-07-2005 09:08 PM

pigma, or pigment, ink WILL last MUCH longer than other types of ink

You can do a quick online search about pigma/pigmented inks and find that even photos printed with pigment ink are estimated by the experts to last decades longer than other types of inks

Pigment inks are also safer and therefore used in archival situations

I am not an SU demo, but I do think I remember the craft pads being pigment ink?

TAC had a new hybrid ink that mixes the regular ink and pigmented one...I am waiting to try that one!

Of course, I use my stamping stuff 99% for card making and Creative Memories 99% for scrapbooking....just have never mixed the two much. If I were to stamp more in my scrapbooks, after reading all about photo safety online, I would use only pigment ink.

Ann

pinkhedgehog 03-07-2005 09:10 PM

I'm with you. I say get them all. Even if you don't end up using them in your scrapbooks, you'll be able to emboss in 48 colors!

AmyR 03-07-2005 09:18 PM

HeeHee, I've thought of that too - I LUV to emboss and I've been dying to emboss w/ the Craft Pads. I know about them being Pigment ink (they are - already checked on that) which is why I want them for scrapbooking - mostly what I want to know is how ppl like using them and how they hold up after you've had them for a while. Also, if anyone has used them for a while - have you had to refill them? SU recommends getting the refil when you buy but there is NO WAY I can afford the refills on top of all the pads (I WISH! :roll: ) but they say it's cuz the ink is thicker (which I've noticed) so you use it up way faster. I've pretty much made up my mind to get them but I like to have other ppl's input! THANX!! :D

pinkhedgehog 03-07-2005 09:21 PM

I think you do need to refill them more often. But what I would advise is just getting the pad sets. Then, make a note of the ones you are using and the ones that just tend to sit. If you reach for the Ballet Blue 20 times in the first week, order the BB refill. The pads are a little cheaper if you get them all at once, but the refills are not. Just get the ones you use most, and slowly buy one here and there until you have them all.

KarenInKali 03-07-2005 09:24 PM

I'm in the process of getting all the craft pads too. I have been stamping with classic in my scrapbooks and haven't had any fade problems, but am going to switch to craft pads for the duration.

As for embossing in all 48 colors - you can do this with the classic pads also. You just have to ink your stamp with versamark, then tap on your classic pad and stamp on your cardstock. Cover with clear EP and voila! BTW, the versamark does NOT ruin your classic pads when doing this.

I have over half of the 48 colors in the mail in an order I put in last week - can't wait to get them and start scrappin again!

AmyR 03-07-2005 09:24 PM

Good Idea! Thanx!

CajunStamper 03-07-2005 10:05 PM

I have all the craft pads as of last week when I got in the rest of my Bold Brights! Hurray! I don't have the classics - I've been a demo less than a year and am a big scrapbooker, so I just started with the craft. I don't store mine upside down and so far I haven't had any of them leak. I have them in the caddy.

Ginger

stampysister 03-07-2005 10:07 PM

I have been scrapping with the craft pads exclusively now for about 3 months. Before that I used a combo, depending on if the craft pads was available. I only had a few. Like many, at first I was frustrated by the drying time. Now I could care less because I simply love the look. I have a page where I stamped sage green leaves on forest foliage paper and the sage looked as sage as the paper. Beautiful!

I like the opacity of the ink and the way it stamps out on the page. I do all kinds of techniques with it, including watercoloring. I use a blender pen and just tap it straight on the pad and go to work. I also sometimes use a brush with water.

I did stamp kissing with my craft pads the other day. I think you can do almost anything with them that you can do with the classic and frankly I am getting to where I prefer the look of the ink stamped on the page since the color is more consistant.

I use a heat gun to dry mine. I find that if I keep the heat gun moving and don't focus on drying each area at a time, it helps reduce the warping of the paper that can occur.

I store mine in the standard position and have yet to experience any leakage. I also have had 6 or 7 of my pads for 2 years now and have yet to need to reink. I figure I'll buy reinkers when I need them. Of course, I gotta finish buying the pads first. I couldn't afford to get them all at once. Oh well...

Just buy them. They are fun and you will learn to love them. Happy Scrapping

Stampin Wrose 03-07-2005 10:11 PM

Ibirus,

The craft pads are the same as the classic, so if you close them, and put them with the writing on top, the stamp pad is upside down.

When I first got a few of them, some of them were very juicy and I also turned them so that the pad was right side up. But not so much when I get one now. (I'm getting a few here and there.)

caitalimom 03-07-2005 10:56 PM

Can anyone verify...Do the light colored craft inks stay true to color when you stamp on darker cardstock? I find using the classics lights, they tend to disappear into the paper but I thought I read somewhere, the crafts keep this from happening. Please let me know...I'm thinking of going craft also.

Thanks,
R.

kamuelamom 03-08-2005 12:10 AM

I love this place!

I have had several color box pigment ink pads. Now granted I hadn't touched them but once a year (at Christmas time), but I found that the red got watery and the quality of the ink went down. And all the ink smeared all over my stamps! :shock: Thanks God they were not SU at the time.

Now that I'm into SU, I'll probably invest into them sometime down the line. I very much like the thickness of the ink. I think it's worth waiting for it to dry. Meanwhile I must complete my collection of the classic ink pads. I'm 1/2 way there. :)

CajunStamper 03-08-2005 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caitalimom
Can anyone verify...Do the light colored craft inks stay true to color when you stamp on darker cardstock? I find using the classics lights, they tend to disappear into the paper but I thought I read somewhere, the crafts keep this from happening. Please let me know...I'm thinking of going craft also.

Thanks,
R.

Yes, the lighter craft inks do show up true to color on the darker cardstock, very unlike the classic inks. I like the opacity of the craft much better than the classic as a general rule.

I do like the craft inks for their "running" ability when doing impressionistic watercolor technique, though. The craft inks don't bleed on the wet paper at all. So I guess you could say the craft ones have "staying power!"

katiestamper 03-08-2005 05:36 AM

I am also in the process of buying all of the craft pads. I just love them! I still need to get the Rich Regals, but I am using the Earth Elements the most right now. I am sorry that I waited so long. I also use them on cards. I use the heating tool, but if you want to keep the cardstock from curling, just heat the other side after the inks are dry. I think you will learn to really love them. :)

brainerdgal 03-08-2005 05:43 AM

After reading all this, I'm beginning to think I should invest in some craft pads for scrapbooking.

I won't be able to buy them all at once, and I already have the white craft. What other colors would be versatile and foolproof if I only buy 3-4 more to start? I plan on doing heritage albums shortly, where the photos are mainly black-and-white. I know colors are personal preference, but I'd love your opinions to give me a starting point.

Also, can embossing with craft be done the same was as with classic--Versamark, colored craft, then clear EP?

Thanks in advance!

mdcarter 03-08-2005 05:43 AM

I, too, have decided to get all the Craft pads. I probably have a little over half of them. I currently use Classic but really like how the Craft looks on cardstock that isn't white. It stays true to color.

CajunStamper 03-08-2005 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brainerdgal
After reading all this, I'm beginning to think I should invest in some craft pads for scrapbooking.

I won't be able to buy them all at once, and I already have the white craft. What other colors would be versatile and foolproof if I only buy 3-4 more to start? I plan on doing heritage albums shortly, where the photos are mainly black-and-white. I know colors are personal preference, but I'd love your opinions to give me a starting point.

Also, can embossing with craft be done the same was as with classic--Versamark, colored craft, then clear EP?

Thanks in advance!

If you're going to be doing a heritage album, I think the EE's would be perfect - you have the browns, More Mustard, Old Olive. Those would all be great for a heritage look. You can use the browns (love Creamy Caramel) to distress your papers and ribbons - you'll have black. Toss in perhaps a couple of the RR's - Night of Navy and the reds/pinks from the RR and you should have some great heritage colors.

Regarding embossing, you won't need the Versamark part - just sprinkle the EP on your wet craft ink and emboss! I LOVE embossing with the craft pads - I've never done the Versamark/classic thing because I have all the craft pads.

You'll love the craft ones! I even use them in my card making - when making a swap, I just lay them out to dry and when I'm finished stamping the last one, the first ones are dry and I'm ready to move on.

Ginger

Erin in Okc 03-08-2005 06:08 AM

You asked if I keep my pads stored in the original boxes, and I don't. the classic I do. But my craft pads I bought a storage tower for them from CDJ Designs, and I love it. It's a bit heavier than I expected, but it turns really well on my table, and it wasn't designed to turn! I just have to be careful where I place it when I'm travelling with it, because it's not as easily moved as they advertise!
Good luck!

trudee 03-08-2005 06:19 AM

I am gonna throw something out there for you.
You could also use the chalk inks for scrapbooking, as they dry almost instanly and have the opaque look. Sure would save alot of $, too.
Since they dry so fast, you can't emboss with them, though.

:)

jm_donahoe 03-08-2005 06:27 AM

Thanks, Trudee! I was just wondering about the chalk inks and was going to post that very question. Do we know if they are archival - safe and will last? Thanks for the great thread and all the great answers!!!

kelljill 03-08-2005 06:35 AM

Okay, so I know this is somewhat off topic, however, I haven't heard of using craft pads for embossing :oops: What have I been missing??? I love to emboss and I NEED to know this technique!!

CajunStamper 03-08-2005 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelljill
Okay, so I know this is somewhat off topic, however, I haven't heard of using craft pads for embossing :oops: What have I been missing??? I love to emboss and I NEED to know this technique!!

No technique really. The craft pads stay wet longer and you can emboss with them. Embossing in all 48 colors (50 if you count white and vanilla)! What fun!

Ginger

trudee 03-08-2005 06:46 AM

Here's some tips/info on the chalk inks, Jeanne Marie ;)

http://www.psxdesign.com/projects/ti....php?tips_id=2

AmyR 03-08-2005 07:56 AM

This is great you guys! I am definately going to invest in the Craft pads (I AM going to get them all at once - that way I've made a good w/s and get more FREE STUFF plus a hostess set! BTW - I have the earths/regals petal point chalk pads and I LUV them but I need more colors - I'm gonna get the other one but I use them mainly for cards though they ARE archival quality and can be used for scrapbooking (if only they were available in the 48 colors!) Thanks for all the great input! :D :D :D
happystamper21 AKA Amy

rreinhardt 03-08-2005 09:02 AM

Great discussion, as I've been wondering if I should complete my craft pad collection! I finally decided to wait until the new catalogue comes out - partly because I LOVE the new hostess sets, and partly because you never know what SU will come out with. There may be more petalpoint colors, and that would be a lot easier to scrapbook with.

Rebecca

wendalyn 03-08-2005 09:20 AM

I absolutely love mine. I buy some everytime I place an order. But I use mine for Embossing with Clear EP - I don't ever have to buy colored EP and everything turns out great.

trudee 03-08-2005 09:22 AM

I am excited for you, Amy! Have FUN!! :D

AmyR 03-08-2005 10:12 AM

Thanx trudee! I can't wait to get them! I WOULD like to wait until the new catty comes out b/c I want almost ALL the hostess sets (they are so COOL!) but I don't want to wait that long to start scrapbooking. My DD just turned 2 and I have BOXES full of photos PLUS I'm getting married in May! Yay! So I don't want to put off scrapbooking any longer otherwise I'll NEVER get any done! I LUV this site! Everyone has had such great feedback and are so quick to respond! Thank you all so much!
:D :D :D :D :D :D

cindystamper 03-08-2005 10:26 AM

I too would like to have all of the craft pads. I have all of the classic and some of them just don't seem dark enough. I'm holding out until the new catty though. My dream would be that SU! will come out with craft spots! That's at the top of my wish list for the new catty! But hey, if you can afford to get all of them at one time, then go for it!!!!!

lesliemommy 03-08-2005 11:17 AM

I want craft pads too. I have the reg. ink spots. I think I will use the spots for everyday use. But the craft pads are more versitile to me. You can use them for embossing too.

I think I am going to buy them all at once too.

Shortdee73 03-08-2005 11:28 AM

Craft Pads...

The colors I use most is the Soft Subtles and Bold Brights in my craft pads. So I have those two in craft pads and the other 2 sets in the classic.

I'm trying to follow a budget as well!

good luck!

KateStamps 03-08-2005 12:33 PM

Sounds like you need to sign up as a demo and get 30% off that set of craft pads....

Kate

KLogan 03-08-2005 12:53 PM

Quick question for those of you who have/love/really use your craft ink pads: do you have the original style (with the linen-topped pad) or the newer "improved" style with the foam ink pad (like the white one)? I purchased the entire set of craft pads right after they first came out (so mine have the linen top - not the foam one). I use them for scrapbooking and occasionally for embossing, shrink art, porcelain ornaments, watercoloring, etc., but I REALLY wish I had waited just a few months and ordered them after they changed the style.
I have all of the reinkers, also, and use them regularly. IMHO, these aren't the absolute best ink pads on the market, but I use them because I'm a demonstrator and I can "show" them. I haven't had much success with using them on fabric, but I know some people use them for that.
I also really like to "highlight" a stamped image by watercoloring with the white craft pad. It's quicker than the crayon resist technique, and works on non-glossy cardstock really well.

LLHotshot 03-08-2005 01:34 PM

I am a new stamper and learning all the ins and outs so to speak. It sounds like the craft pads are very versatile just a bit longer drying time. Since they are so versatile, would you even need the classic ink pads at all? Seems like you could save a whole lot of $$$ by only investing in craft pads.

I would love to hear all of your comments! :)

Lori