Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Copics Making my Stazon bleed? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/copics-making-my-stazon-bleed-380843/)

ScrappinGalz 09-09-2008 04:32 AM

Copics Making my Stazon bleed?

This past weekend I was with a friend who had a bunch of stamps that I don't so I stamped some images with Stazon and brought them home. Last night I went to color them in with my new copics and the stazon bled. Anyone have any idea as to what happened? How do you keep the copics from bleeding the stazon? Thanks

babydal57 09-09-2008 05:44 AM

You can't use Copics with StazOn inks. The alcohol in the Copic ink reacts with the chemical in the StazOn.

The only ink I've had any luck with (and that doesn't even always work for me) is Momento ink that has been heat set.

I've tried Palette, Versafine, SU classic, and Brilliance. They all bled when I tried to really blend some colors, especially if it was a really detailed stamp with lots of ink on the paper.

Good luck. I've also heard that embossing with clear powder will stop the bleeding, but I haven't tried it yet.

Colleen Schaan 09-09-2008 07:49 AM

Yup, can't use StazOn with Copics. The solvent in the ink reacts with the alcohol in the marker.

I use Ranger Adirondack and have great luck. (Some people love it some don't). Others use Memento, Brilliance, Pallet... it also depends on what paper you are using. Some inks need to be heat set too.

I suggest you do some practice tests with different inks and papers with your Copics and see what works best for you.

ScrappinGalz 09-09-2008 09:26 AM

Thank you ladies. I just bought my first couple of Copics so I didn't know. I'll try some of your sugggestions.

stigmom6 09-09-2008 09:50 AM

I have tried just about every black ink to figure out which I prefer. The paper also is important. These are my preferences in order of both Paper and Ink. Also the Colorless Blender is for pushing or removing color.

Ink

Momento
Adirondak
Pallette
Brilliance (must heat set)

Cardstock

Papertrey Inc. Stampers Select White
Neenah Classic Crest Solar White

abmartin 09-09-2008 11:28 AM

Subscribing, b/c I just bought my first copics this past weekend and used them with Stazon and the same thing happened to me.....will be looking for this ink. Is it best to find online or does Mike's, JoAnn's, HL, etc have this stuff?

Thanks!!!

babydal57 09-09-2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abmartin (Post 11248651)
Subscribing, b/c I just bought my first copics this past weekend and used them with Stazon and the same thing happened to me.....will be looking for this ink. Is it best to find online or does Mike's, JoAnn's, HL, etc have this stuff?

Thanks!!!

I've seen Brilliance inks at Michaels. I saw Palette inks at a JoAnns super store but not at my regular Joanns. I've seen Ranger distressed inks at Michael and ACMoore, but I don't remember seeing the Adirondack ink pads there. But they could have them, I just never looked.

I bought all of mine at my local stamp store. I've never seen Momento inks anywhere else.

ScrappinGalz 09-10-2008 08:44 AM

Thanks so much for all the helpful hints. Hopefully I can make it to a store soon

shirolives 09-10-2008 12:04 PM

I just had a moment of AHHA-ness after reading and subscribing to Michelle Zindorf's blog for a while. She stamps FIRST with Versamark then into black dye ink. I see she uses Adirondack which is like SU! Classic Ink.

The trick is to FIRST stamp in Versamark THEN black. AHAHA! The next step is just like babydal57 said: Emboss this with clear detail embossing powder then color with markers.

If you haven't been to Zindorf's blog, you should be going there now lol. She is the Queen of all things brayered, teaches brayer workshops and probably has stock in clear fine detail embossing powder. Here's a link to her fabulous blog:

http://zindorf.blogs.splitcoaststampers.com/

She has a fabulous section there Frequent Questions that explains what and why she uses what she does. Fabulous!

Hope this helps!

Sairabee 09-10-2008 12:11 PM

You *can* use your copics with StazOn, but it is a PITA. If you have a fairly open image (not a lot of lines inside the image, if you kwim) you just have to use the sketch end of your brush and be very careful to make sure the brush stays off the line as much as possible. Like I said, it's a PITA, but it can be done. I've also done it with Basic Black and had success. BUT, that said, my preferred ink is Adirondak. ;)

CharityHand 09-10-2008 12:13 PM

I like Palette ink for copics. I agree, Stazon is a pain to use with copics.

Colleen Schaan 09-10-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sairabee (Post 11263166)
You *can* use your copics with StazOn, but it is a PITA. If you have a fairly open image (not a lot of lines inside the image, if you kwim) you just have to use the sketch end of your brush and be very careful to make sure the brush stays off the line as much as possible. Like I said, it's a PITA, but it can be done. I've also done it with Basic Black and had success. BUT, that said, my preferred ink is Adirondak. ;)

Whoa! You have WAY more patience than I do! LOL

Sairabee 09-10-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colleen Schaan (Post 11263417)
Whoa! You have WAY more patience than I do! LOL

:mrgreen:

It's not so bad once you get used to it. I just learned the hard way because I've been sooo used to grabbing my basic black pad, and decided I wasn't just going to waste those images, so I found a way to make them work!

purpleflowers 09-10-2008 01:46 PM

Check out Dana's blog link in post #7 on this thread for extremely detailed testing of what inks and papers work/don't work with copic/prismacolor markers.