Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have had it with my Cricut ...

There are many things I love about my Cricut, but I'm wondering if it's just too much machine for me.

About 90 percent of the time, I cut letters/titles. If I couldn't do anything else with it (shapes, layers, etc.), I think I'd survive.

As is, it takes up a good chunk of space (I don't dare put it away or I won't use it as much), the cartridges are pricey, the replacement blades and mats also add up. I also have trouble with it not "snagging" (I've replaced the blade, used a new mat, adjusting settings, and it still seems to happen more often than not) on more detailed images.

Has anyone else out there ever "downsized"?

Any cutting system recommendations?

I want to stay electronic (I have NO desire to go back to the days of getting out each letter die) and am happy to have my computer hooked up the machine.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I have switched from a cricut the majority of the time to a silhouette. It's made by quickutz and is totally a computer machine. It's actually a bit smaller than the cricut and would work great for cutting titles because you can use any true type font you have on your computer. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 03:57 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you contacted Cricut about the problems you are having? I understand their customer support is very good. Also at www.cricut.com they have message boards that are very active and probably have a lot of help there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 04:23 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

You might want to look into the Making Memories Slice. It's small, rechargable and the carts are quite a bit cheaper than the Cricut one's. It can only cut up to 4" but for letters that might be adequate for you. It has had some problems cutting out smaller shapes, but MM is working on fixing that problem. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 04:46 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Also check in your area to see if anywhere is offering classes on the Cricut. One of our local scrapbooking retailers offer them. I have the Cricut Create and I absolutely love it. I make cards mostly so I had no need for the Expression. I have several friends that I crop with that has the Expression if I ever need to print something larger. Don't give up on it. I wasted a lot of paper before I finally figured it out. I get the black cardstock packs at Walmart for $2.44 a pack to do my try outs on, before I use my good quality cardstock. The pressure and speed settings takes some getting use too. All of us around here that have Cricuts have a little notebook of cheat notes. It really does help, at least for me it does. I have been told to slow the speed down on detailed images and to increase the size a little bit at a time. Try the Cricut message board as well.
Keep trying you'll get it. If I can do it anybody can do it!!! Be encouraged and remember you can do all things with "Christ" who strengthens you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 04:52 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

melissaink....As the User Manual says, not every image can be cut in the smallest size possible. Many images/letters are too intricate to be properly cut in a very small size. It's not a defect of your machine.

Depending on the type of paper you are using you must adjust the speed, pressure and needle height for that paper and the design of the image/font.

I have both the Cricut and Expression and use them on a daily basis with great success of cutting both images and fonts.

Yes it is addictive with wanting the cartridges as they are able to cut so many images and font styles. But having just a few 6-8 works well too.

The cartridges are put on sale in many stores quite frequently which reduces the cost considerably.

If you have a craft store near you, ask the management if they give classes on the machine. Many chain stores do. I teach both Cricut and Expression in AC Moore. Many smaller specialty craft stores would probably offer classes if you ask also. That might help in your frustration of using the Cricut.

Just my opinion and suggestions to offer. The Cricut/Expression machines are wonderful, don't give up on them.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 05:15 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Don't give up on the machine just yet. If you sit down and play with it with inexpensive cardstock you can probably figure out the settings etc. The Cricuit website has lots of info and ideas as well. I have signed up for their newsletter (via e-mail) and have gotten lots of advice and ideas from that as well.
As for the cartridges, our LSS rents the cartridges for $6 or so for 3 days so you can rent it and cut what you want (stockpile too). I have recently upgraded to the Expression machine and have never looked back. Love, Love, Love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had to have a Cricut...I had the original, the nice wheeled tote, many extra blades and mats, 30+ cartridges...I just sold the Cricut, tote, extra blades, mats and 5 tablets of paper for $275.00. I sold the rest of the cartridges seperately. I just didnt use the Cricut. I had it for a little over a year and MAYBE used it two or three times. I am just as happy to have found it an new home and have reclaimed all the space it took up. I dont miss it now and dont think I ever will. I am happy with the Cuttlebug and Bigshot.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I have the Slice, the Cricut and a Big Shot. I WAY prefer my Slice to either of the other two. I just love working with it. It can be just as frustrating as the Cricut at times, but I love it. I love it more since the re-calibration card that MM sent us!
One of my favorite things about the Slice is how you can place your maching ONTO the paper, and get the cut wherever you want. The Big Shot can do that if you spend $40 on the movers and shapers die. I can use my Slice and get the same result on any cut on my design card.
Good luck making your decision. Let us know what you decide to replace it with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up

I have the baby bug and for what I use it for, I feel no need to upgrade. I also buy my cartridges on sale, mostly alpha's for scrapbooking. The best tools I bought for it is Design Studio and jukebox, got them both on sale of course!

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

IMO - if you can't resolve the issues with your Cricut, I think I would stay with a manual cutter. I happen to have a Pazzles, which I love, but the Cricut is by far the user-friendliest of the electronic cutters. I guess I'm thinking maybe electronic cutters just might not be the right fit for you. Along with my Pazzles, I have a Big Shot. It is more limiting in many ways, but it's fast, easy, convenient, works with a huge variety of dies/embossing folders and it cuts through many materials that none of the electronic cutters can handle. In other words, it's not such a bad thing to rely exclusively on the Big Shot for your die-cutting needs. Just something to think about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

I love my cricut! I have other manual die cutting machines and if you think the cricut takes up a lot of space wait until you see how much space you need for dies!! An alphabet set is over 26 dies and in only one size!!! I love that I can cut images in any size with the cricut. As for the pricey cartridges, I have never paid for then 42 dollars for a cartridge and most of them were 30 or less. I would give it another try. I really like Robyn at http://thepinkstamper.blogspot.com/. She has a series of tutorials just for the cricut. Also, there are some tutorials at cricut.com. One thing you might want to check is your speed and blade height and pressure. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

i have been using my cricut alot. I use SCAL so its super duper easy! No more carts. I can cut, and write whatever i want with any font I choose. I am in die cut heaven!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 03:09 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I've had my baby bug for about 3 years and can't say I used it much (only ever bought 5 carts) until I got SCAL this past Christmas. Now the options are limitless, no more need to buy carts, etc. IMO an electronic die-cut machine is definitely the most economical but it doesn't give as nice of a finished product as a manual machine so my Cricut will never replace my QK alphas. And, the Cricut does actually take up more space than my QK dies but I put them in Magpie tins on a shelf on the wall.

Maybe you just need to decide if you really want a die-cut machine at all anymore. All of them take up some amount of space and all have their pros and cons.

ETA* I just read your post again and saw you would be ok with a machine that hooked to the computer. Take a long hard look at the QK Silhouette SD. It's smaller than the Cricut and from what I've seen, it's not as fussy about intricate cuts. Also, I think the blades and mat last a lot longer than the Cricut(although they cost quite a bit more)

Last edited by scrapcat71; 05-13-2009 at 03:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

When I posted, I was very frustrated! I was trying to cut the layers for the octopus from Life's a Beach. Only two of the six turned out. Ugh!

I read through the forums at the official Cricut site, and I have a few tricks in mind.

I did research some of the other machines out there, and there seems to be pluses and minuses with every machine. Might as well be happy with what I have - at least it's paid in full! I'm thinking about the SCAL software once my warranty with ProvoCraft is up.

Thank you for the suggestions about the YouTube videos. I always forget about those!

For the record, I do use my Cricut quite a bit and very, very rarely have any issues when I cut my letters ... and I rarely cut anything small. Go big or go home! That's why I have the Expression

My Cricut and I have made up. I no longer want to throw her out the window.
Reply With Quote Likes