Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Copic to SU Marker color comparison? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/copic-su-marker-color-comparison-451476/)

cltomes 08-01-2009 04:52 PM

Copic to SU Marker color comparison?

I've searched the forums, but I guess I'm not using the right keywords.

I was wondering if anyone knows where to find a comparison between Copic and SU marker colors?

Thanks so much!
Christy

ms.queenbee 08-01-2009 07:26 PM

color comparison

I was wondering the same thing. :rolleyes:I only have su markers so before I invest in such an expensive tool, I would like to know what is soooo great about these markers.:confused:

cltomes 08-01-2009 07:46 PM

Color Comparison

Sorry, I should have been more specific. What I'm hoping to find is a list of which Copic colors match the SU markers, or are at least close. I have a few SU markers that are old and need to be replaced, and I'd actually like to find some Copics instead.

Incidentally, I got my first 10 Copics this week and I love them! I'm still playing with inks and papers to find my favorite combination, but the markers are really smooth and color so nicely. :-)

My3LittleMonkeys 08-02-2009 03:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my list. It is comprised from many, many sources here on SCS as well as Blogs. I hope it helps some. :)

cltomes 08-02-2009 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My3LittleMonkeys (Post 14779029)
Here is my list. It is comprised from many, many sources here on SCS as well as Blogs. I hope it helps some. :)

LOVE YOU! Thanks so much! ;-)

Ellibelle 08-02-2009 06:40 AM

Awesome list!! Does anyone have a new in-color comparison yet? I am mainly wanting the rich razzleberry color.

My3LittleMonkeys 08-02-2009 03:29 PM

The new In Color suggestions are on SCS here in a thread...I will have to go looking for it again!

My3LittleMonkeys 08-02-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cltomes (Post 14780020)
LOVE YOU! Thanks so much! ;-)

You are very welcome! ;)

My3LittleMonkeys 08-02-2009 05:45 PM

OK, here is the thread for this year's in colors and Copics.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=442238

ms.queenbee 08-02-2009 06:01 PM

but... what makes them so great that you would spend the money for them?

My3LittleMonkeys 08-02-2009 06:03 PM

The way they color and blend. Like a dream!! No lines...awesome shading. I must admit, though...I have always liked to color!!

Ellibelle 08-02-2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My3LittleMonkeys (Post 14783897)
OK, here is the thread for this year's in colors and Copics.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=442238

Thank you so very much!!

ms.queenbee 08-03-2009 12:54 PM

thanks for the input. might want to invest

beesmom 01-11-2010 07:35 PM

Thanks for all the great info everyone- Just bought my first copics. Woo hoo!

My3LittleMonkeys 01-11-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gale (Post 15882019)
What does that open with? MS Word isn't working.

Gale, it is Word but I bet it is a Vista file. Do you run Vista? If not, I will try to find it on my external HD and load it up to my Apple, then resave it. LOL The fun of a new OS, right?!! But soooo worth it!

bluefeathers_58 02-22-2010 12:50 PM

yes. I have read..but still lost..I love to color..and wanting to purchase markers..I am new at this (recently disabled/ugh...), but I love to stamp..so I have gotten into Stampin Up..and have their inks, and paper, ribbon...so it would seem that I should purchase their markers so that my colors all match...and to tell the truth the copic colors are hard for me to understand...but before I make the purchase ( remember..low income)..

I know everyone is nuts about the copic..and i have never used one...but is it that much different from the SU markers?? And maybe SU is going to update to compete...has anyone heard a topic regarding that ??? Maybe they are going to upgrade...I do not know..but as the sell-a-bration is going on..this would be a good time for me to make the commitment..

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME?? Confused and lost in Louisiana....hehehehehe
hugs,
cheryl

ms.queenbee 02-22-2010 02:39 PM

copic markers

I have recently purchased 32 of the copic markers and absolutely love them. I was once a demo for SU and have just about all their markers. The main difference I have found is that they don't make your paper tear apart or bead up and you can blend with them much better than with SU markers. Copic markers are alcohol based and SU markers are not. The alcohol is what keeps your paper from beading up. Yes the copics are more expensive than SU but I believe you get a better bang for your buck. Sorry SU. As for them selling copic markers, I doubt that will happen. Hope that helps you out. Ms. Queenbee

bluefeathers_58 02-22-2010 06:23 PM

yes,
thank you..right now..I am just looking and exploring the difference..I had a girl send me the cutest card with a little girl holding flowers..and she said it was made with copic..right now I have about 100 Zig..brush, and scroll markers...and think I ought to use them first..I won several auctions, and they had price tags of $3.50 and up..(a store went out of business)..so i have been playing with them...and I am in a SU color club, and every month we get the whole color items, paper,inkpad, reinker,ribbon, and marker..I have just started stamping..so that is about what I have...it is just so easy to keep the colors togeher in the SU program...I sure wished they would look and try to compete...they just started the acrylic stamps last month..and i have to say the acrylic blocks are the best I have ever seen...alsomt like a magnifier built in...
It will be a bit...but?? right now is the sell=a =bration..and if i wanted to get their markers this would be the tiime to do it..

Thanks so much for replying..and sorry I talked your ear off...but being disabled..you do not see people too terribly much..and the ones you do...you wear them apart..hehehehe
hugs,
cheryl

My3LittleMonkeys 02-23-2010 03:30 AM

Hey Cheryl~ As ms.queenbee said, they are like apples and oranges. If it were me, I would do all the SU stuff first, then see where you are at. You can do so much with the SU product line. You will be thrilled with the results you get there.

If you then find you are wanting more...down the line some, then you can invest in some copics. Based on the info you have shared, I would start with the CU/Copic color matches and build from there.

Hope that helps some!

Kim Scotti 02-23-2010 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluefeathers_58 (Post 16185495)
yes. I have read..but still lost..I love to color..and wanting to purchase markers..I am new at this (recently disabled/ugh...), but I love to stamp..so I have gotten into Stampin Up..and have their inks, and paper, ribbon...so it would seem that I should purchase their markers so that my colors all match...and to tell the truth the copic colors are hard for me to understand...but before I make the purchase ( remember..low income)..

I know everyone is nuts about the copic..and i have never used one...but is it that much different from the SU markers?? And maybe SU is going to update to compete...has anyone heard a topic regarding that ??? Maybe they are going to upgrade...I do not know..but as the sell-a-bration is going on..this would be a good time for me to make the commitment..

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME?? Confused and lost in Louisiana....hehehehehe
hugs,
cheryl

So sorry to hear of your recent disability. I was a Stampin' Up demonstrator and have all the inks, paper and ribbon.... The markers however, I have NOT been happy with...they dry out too fast...Copics are a little more $ but are refillable. Once you learn how to use Copics you will LOVE them! You do need special paper (Gina K Pure Luxury is the best!) and Memento ink. Start with one color family maybe greens.
I bought a couple from my local scrapbook store and left them in drawer for months because I didn't know how to use them! The same store offers Copic classes so I took 2...wow! what a difference...I LOVE them! They are great for blending and shading...just do your homework..there are several very helpful blogs to help choose color families and details on shading. You can also color white ribbon to match your project...easier than using re-inkers. You can make your own SU markers using a blender pen and reinkers...I would not buy the whole set of SU markers. You can also use an Aqua pen and SU ink to color. Hope this was helpful!

bluefeathers_58 02-23-2010 08:01 AM

Thank you so very much..I have found the chart that shows what copic marker matches what SU color..so, it would be best, instead of buying a batch of mixed colors. to buy the exact copic to match the exact su color. i do appreciate it..I love to color..now in my condition, i tell my friends just to sit me in a corner and give me colors and paper, and i will amuse myself all day..hehehhe...
just working around it...the dr. orders are to exercise, and do my crafts...quite a prescription for life...
so, i have been in stamping almost a year now..started with collecting PSX,, then went to stampscapes., and finally found Stampin Up..and have done research on the club..and love it..and had a very kind Demo sell me her retired DSP paper packs...what a angel!! and now looking for matching accessories, but now the Copic has come around and looking at the best (econimal) way for me to incorporate it into my SU..
hugs,
Cheryl

Kim Scotti 02-23-2010 09:34 AM

Sounds like you have a plan! Just remember you need 2 or 3 of the same colors to blend...if you can take a class...do it! You will learn lots of fun stuff...there are some really good youtube videos as well :) and...you don't need ALL 334 colors LOL!

Michellena317 02-23-2010 11:41 AM

I was an SU demo and have all the markers. They are great for coloring directly on stamps which is something you would not do with your copics. If you have a preference for open line image stamps that you want to color in- I suggest going with copics. It is nice to have your SU matches in copics to match all your papers inks ribbons etc...but as the previous poster said make sure you get 2 or 3 of the same color family for blending. When buying you should always select a light and a medium/dark marker in the same color family for optimum blending. If you are not blending then you are not getting the value out of your copics. I have a link on the sidebar of my blog that has frequently used color combinations for copics that I compiled from visiting various blogs and seeing what color combos other people liked to use. Just click on the picture of the copic marker cap. Here is a great blog post by Rachel with color selections to get you started too.

laurat99 04-21-2010 04:55 AM

SU color revolution Copic Matches

New to SCS, but not to Stampin Up and Copics. I like to color with my Copics and match up with my SU! papers. With the new colors coming out, does anyone have any matches yet? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

stampercat53 07-19-2010 06:40 AM

I'd like to know if anybody has any matches also for the new SU colors and In-Colors.

irishgreensue 08-02-2010 09:05 AM

subbing - want to learn more!

stampindamour 08-04-2010 11:02 AM

Good info...I use both too.

mccrea 03-09-2011 09:01 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Siobhan-I figured it out. It's for a newer version of word and wouldn't open with my old version. I found a site to convert it and I have it now.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥

Hi Gale, do you know what site you found the conversion on?
Thank you and everyone for asll of the helpful info! :>)

furkids 12-09-2011 01:21 AM

I was wondering if anyone has done a color comparison for the current stampin up colors? Not the 2011 in colors (even though I would like to get those as well) but the current color story in the 2011/2012 catalog? Also, Stampin up had a color called Marvelous Magenta (several years ago) if anyone knows the Copic equivalent I would be very greatful. Really like the color for flowers.

Thanks everyone

Margscardcrazy 04-06-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My3LittleMonkeys (Post 14779029)

It's Easter Saturday here in Brisbane Australia and I'm doing a little surfing and came across your post. Thank you so much for this I'm thrilled. I use both my stampin up markers and my copic, depending on the effect I want and the card stock I'm using. I will have to admit that it's my copic I use the most but not exclusively.
Cheers

Margscardcrazy 04-06-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michellena317 (Post 16191963)
I was an SU demo and have all the markers. They are great for coloring directly on stamps which is something you would not do with your copics. If you have a preference for open line image stamps that you want to color in- I suggest going with copics. It is nice to have your SU matches in copics to match all your papers inks ribbons etc...but as the previous poster said make sure you get 2 or 3 of the same color family for blending. When buying you should always select a light and a medium/dark marker in the same color family for optimum blending. If you are not blending then you are not getting the value out of your copics. I have a link on the sidebar of my blog that has frequently used color combinations for copics that I compiled from visiting various blogs and seeing what color combos other people liked to use. Just click on the picture of the copic marker cap. Here is a great blog post by Rachel with color selections to get you started too.

Hi Michelle and everyone else, you can use copic markers direct to stamp and it is quite easy all you need is a little alcohol hand wash gel (I have one of those pocket mimi tubes) dab a little on the end of your finger then dap this onto a bit of paper to take off the excess (you only need a very small amount) then dab what remains onto your stamp, then colour with your copic and stamp
Cheers

koolkat22 04-07-2012 12:19 PM

Has anyone looked at the new copic colors for 2012 to see if any are a good match to current SU colros? Would really appreciate knowing if anyone knowledgeable has come up with anything. I don't feel confident enough to make a decision on the copics. Thanks!

koolkat22 05-01-2012 11:01 AM

Bumping this up hoping someone will be playing with the new SU incolors AND the new copic colors! Anyone, anyone?

atsamom 05-18-2012 09:23 AM

I have updated the downloadable chart on the sidebar of my blog to include my selected Copic matches to the brand new Stampin' Up 2012-2014 In-Colors!!

Also - in a reply to an earlier post - I have updated these charts for 2012 Copic markers.
From those new 2012 colors, I found better matches for Tempting Turquoise and Certainly Celery.

Hope you like it!

Margscardcrazy 05-18-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsamom (Post 19438133)
I have updated the downloadable chart on the sidebar of my blog to include my selected Copic matches to the brand new Stampin' Up 2012-2014 In-Colors!!

Also - in a reply to an earlier post - I have updated these charts for 2012 Copic markers.
From those new 2012 colors, I found better matches for Tempting Turquoise and Certainly Celery.

Hope you like it!

Kim you are a gem ;) thank you soooo much for all your hard work this is just great.:-D
Cheers

Lucille89Hall 05-18-2012 07:13 PM

Awesome list!! Does anyone have a new in-color comparison yet?

irishgreensue 05-18-2012 07:20 PM

Go back up to atsamom and then to her blog (Joyful Creations with Kim)- follow down the left side to downloads - the second one (SU color - copic marker matches) has the whole list, including the new ones - you just have to scroll down to the 3rd page - hope that helps!!

eyestitch 11-10-2012 09:37 AM

I have tried to convince myself not to buy Copcs, but I am very unhappy with my coloring. I know you are supposed to buy three shades of a color. I have exclusively SU inks, with lots of the In Color colors to go with. It seems that in many of the color families there are so many SU inks that blend from one to the other that I should be able to match SU inks and have my three copic pens in many color families. Does anyone have a list of copic colors that match SU inks and at the same time create the three shades in a color needed for good blending?