Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-23-2008, 06:54 PM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribing.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2008, 03:41 AM   #42  
Insane Embellisher

Default Me tooooo....

~Subscribing~

Ginger
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2008, 03:45 AM   #43  
Kookie Creator

... because I feel like a real artist when I use them! LOL

They really do blend well together. They sort of soak into the paper. I haven't perfected my technique and only have about 20 markers, but I have lots of fun using them!

Last edited by CharityHand; 05-24-2008 at 03:46 AM.. Reason: I was rambling too much
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #44  
Glitter Queen

Subscribing to this thread. Very grateful to have all this info about copics now. Thanks all!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakarenForums at Splitcoaststampers
http://www.franticstamper.com

Fran carries the whole line of Sketch Copic markers with refills. The markers are $3.95 and refills are $6.95 I think. Fran is a dream to work with and ships very fast.

Makaren
Just an FYI that Fran has the Ciao markers, not the Sketch, for $3.95.
http://www.franticstamper.com/copic.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #46  
Embossing Fanatic

I bought some and then bought more and then more and so on. I love them, the blending, the shading, everything about them is great. I actually went to the Copic Certification class and WOW! There is so much to do with these pens.

Yes, they are expensive but you will never need to buy another pen in that color-you can refill and change the nibs if need be. I have SU markers and last week went to color with them and was amazed at the difference-I am ready to get rid of them! These really do look professional-I can't believe how many times I've been told that and I am still learning.

To those who are just starting out-practice, practice, practice. I am still trying to figure things out. If you want to see some of the amazing things check out Marianne's blog http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/ Just know that you will be amazed.
Thanks, Jodi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 04:45 AM   #47  
Glitter Guru

Received 103 Likes on 50 Posts

I use Palette Noir Black ink and my Bic Mark-It markers and get great results. The price is $20 for 36 markers. Not as many colors available, but the price is right, and they color beautifully. I haven't gotten a streak yet, and I use pretty much any cardstock I happen to have at the moment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 06:08 AM   #48  
Cardstock Collector

What do you think is the best Copic color for skin? I would like one to supplement my SU! markers, and I do not think there is a good skin color. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 06:36 AM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

You should really check out Marianne's site ~ HERE ~she goes over the basics of the various skin colors. I tend to use E00 & E02 (but then again, I'm not the artist that she is, nor do I have all the colors she has ~ just waiting for the next DickBlick sale!).
Quote:

Originally Posted by cericksonmForums at Splitcoaststampers
What do you think is the best Copic color for skin? I would like one to supplement my SU! markers, and I do not think there is a good skin color. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 05:29 AM   #50  
Die Cut Diva

why are copic markers better then any other alcohol markers? Dick blick has a sale on other alcohol markers, does copic make up the SU compatible list or what?

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #51  
Kookie Creator

I've used many markers in my day

The nature of alcohol in markers makes them easier on paper so you don't get pilled paper fibers, but Copic has a few other features that put them a cut above, IMO.

• Copic markers don't stink. Most other alcohol markers smell bad (sorry sharpie!)
• Copics will last forever (I've had some of mine for over 8 years!) After you refill them you can recycle the ink bottle even, so save a bit on the environment.
• Copics come in more colors than any other type out there, particularly the subtle, pale colors.
• Copic colors don't change from batch to batch (a B34 today is exactly the same color as a B34 from 20 years ago)
• You can airbrush with Copics

So are Copic markers for everyone? No. These are a professional grade coloring tool and have a bit of a learning curve. HOWEVER, if you care about smooth blends and are willing to practice, and spend a bit more upfront, then you won't be disappointed with your investment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #52  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemarkersForums at Splitcoaststampers
I've used many markers in my day

The nature of alcohol in markers makes them easier on paper so you don't get pilled paper fibers, but Copic has a few other features that put them a cut above, IMO.

• Copic markers don't stink. Most other alcohol markers smell bad (sorry sharpie!)
• Copics will last forever (I've had some of mine for over 8 years!) After you refill them you can recycle the ink bottle even, so save a bit on the environment.
• Copics come in more colors than any other type out there, particularly the subtle, pale colors.
• Copic colors don't change from batch to batch (a B34 today is exactly the same color as a B34 from 20 years ago)
• You can airbrush with Copics

So are Copic markers for everyone? No. These are a professional grade coloring tool and have a bit of a learning curve. HOWEVER, if you care about smooth blends and are willing to practice, and spend a bit more upfront, then you won't be disappointed with your investment.

That is exactly it. They are an investment. If you never have to buy that color marker again, why wouldn't you get them? SU markers run 3.25 a piece. Copics aren't really that much more especially if you shop around and get the best deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #53  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesarappForums at Splitcoaststampers
That is exactly it. They are an investment. If you never have to buy that color marker again, why wouldn't you get them? SU markers run 3.25 a piece. Copics aren't really that much more especially if you shop around and get the best deal.
It would be nice if we could try BEFORE "investing" so much in them. I've read so much that it's the technique that is the key, and I doubt I will be able to use them properly. I like what I see others do but I am no artist, and I think I would get frustrated with the "keep it wet and go in tight circles" thing. I don't even get good results with the beloved Prismacolor pencils & gamsol technique! (the gamsol turns the pencils into a deeper color but there is no blending for me, and whatever lines I put down are still visible)--that's why I don't think I'd be able to do the Copic either!
Besides, you may not have to buy a marker but you will have to buy nibs & ink refills. That's less money, but it's not FREE, KWIM? I have yet to have a marker run out except for my Zig Black!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #54  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeForums at Splitcoaststampers
It would be nice if we could try BEFORE "investing" so much in them. I've read so much that it's the technique that is the key, and I doubt I will be able to use them properly. I like what I see others do but I am no artist, and I think I would get frustrated with the "keep it wet and go in tight circles" thing. I don't even get good results with the beloved Prismacolor pencils & gamsol technique! (the gamsol turns the pencils into a deeper color but there is no blending for me, and whatever lines I put down are still visible)--that's why I don't think I'd be able to do the Copic either!
Besides, you may not have to buy a marker but you will have to buy nibs & ink refills. That's less money, but it's not FREE, KWIM? I have yet to have a marker run out except for my Zig Black!
Lynn I totally get where you are coming from. I did want to address a couple of your concerns though. I have only had mine for a couple of weeks and really they aren't as hard as some have implied. Since I was one who couldn't try before I purchased them, I did a ton of research on others blogs and their favorite colors and such. I just ordered like 4 or 5 to start. I made sure to get like ones that I knew would blend together well. I practiced using paper and ink that others had suggested worked well with them. I had great results from the first try, so I ordered some more. I am just adding as I can afford them. Sure it will take a while but with time, I will have a good collection. I also don't think they will run out of ink anytime soon. When I get a couple that are starting to act like they need refilling then I will start purchasing a refill here and there. I don't have much of a budget at this time but I realized that if I could get a few at a time it would be doable. I also spent a lot of time looking at other peoples blogs for techiques and tutorials on using them. In my opinion practice is all that is required. I think that if you are willing to invest the time then you can learn to love them. I think it is great that you are happy with whatever you already have. That is why there are so many choices out there so you can find what works for you! Have a great day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #55  
Insane Embellisher

I think the key to knowing if Copics are right for you is to look at a variety of cards in the gallery....cards that have been watercolored, or those that are colored with color pencils, or various markers, etc. Find the look that you like and are really drawn to, and then invest in the medium of your choice and invest the time needed to learn how to use the medium well.

For me, I like the look that Copic markers provide and I like the look that colored pencils give, so therefore, that's what I spend most of my time and money on...those two mediums.

Designing for:
Tiddly Inks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #56  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeForums at Splitcoaststampers
I bought them because everyone else had them. That's just how I am. Same with nesties. I do use all this stuff but the initial motivation for buying them is because so and so has them and loves them. I can resist on just about any product until "everyone" has it.
I can totally relate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #57  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I bought them because everyone else had them. That's just how I am. Same with nesties. I do use all this stuff but the initial motivation for buying them is because so and so has them and loves them. I can resist on just about any product until "everyone" has it.
I am the same, but in the case of the Copics, I really love them. I have a selection of Tombow pens which I have had since I started stamping 12 years ago, but I never enjoyed using them, but I really do love the Copics. They colours are so vibrant and true and the shading is soooo much easier with them. They truly are the best!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #58  
Cardstock Collector

I have not yet tried copic markers but love seeing what others have achieved with them and an very tempted to buy a few to try. However I guess I'm a little scared that I might wreck them and they cost far too much to do that.
With SU markers I was told that you should never use the tip of the marker - just the side of the tip so as not to wear it down. Can anyone tell me if it is the same with copics - or do you use the actual tip when coloring. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #59  
Forum Fanatic

Lesa, thanks for your reply and understanding, although I really am not that happy with what I have
Here is my attempt tonight using Sharpies...I had 3 shades of pink, orange & green that I thought would work. The pink rose was done on watercolor paper with Brilliance ink and clear ep done first. The orange rose was done on GP paper with Stazon--now I found out Stazon bleeds a little with the alcohol markers so that's why I stopped that one. But here are the other difficulties I had:
  • After a bit of time coloring, the ep actually came off and dirtied up the colors in some spots (just a little, not like the Stazon)
  • I could never get the watercolor paper to saturate through the back (although I do think it blended anyway)
  • The clear EP left some spots that wouldn't take color real close to the image lines (and I did prep the paper before stamping & embossing it)
  • My hand hurt!
  • I can see the benefit of being able to refill because I think this one image drained most of my light pink!
  • I actually don't have that many stamps that this technique would work with! ie SOME space for seeing the color but not so much that you have huge white areas. I guess most of my stamps are pretty detailed or have small areas...something I hadn't thought about before
  • On the GP paper it was pilling before I could get it very well blended (and I thought that was supposed to be one of the benefits of the alcohol markers, no pilling?)
  • I couldn't get the colors to blend as well on the GP paper

SOOO I'm really glad I tried this before investing. The copics may be better though (for some of the troubles I had)? It's just frustrating to me that you have to have the right ink & the right paper for each technique LOL
Just thought I'd share my experience if others are considering going this route, you may want to try it first...the rest of you, I bow to your expertise!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Copic  Markers -- what's the big deal?-sharpie-roses.jpg  

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #60  
Matboard Maniac

Sharpies are not a good comparison to Copics. I have both and I just don't have the control with Sharpies that I do with Copics. I'm not fussy with the paper but what works the best for me is to use Palette brand black and heat set it or emboss in black. I've also learned that I have to keep a light touch with Copics but with the range of colors available, there is no limit to the variance in color you can get. And I imagine the debate could go on and on. We all just like what we like, don't we?

Makaren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 07:10 AM   #61  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I'm not sure Sharpies are even comparable. My copics don't smell anything like a sharpie. Also with copics you specifically do not want to use watercolor paper. Regular paper shouldn't pill at all with copics so that wouldn't be an issue either.
Hmm, yes I think the debate COULD go on & on because the tutorial I watched for coloring with Sharpies/Bic markers specifically used watercolor paper. There are other threads that specifically say the Sharpie works the same as the Copics (other than the smell & color range is more limited). So, what's really true??? Anyway, I wanted to try what I had first, since other people said they worked the same. Has anyone else tried both??

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 08:27 AM   #62  
Glitter Queen

Smile Thanks for posting the link to the blog

Quote:

Originally Posted by carissayForums at Splitcoaststampers
http://inkstampnscrap.blogspot.com/2...w-section.html

Sorry, this is the post I was referring to in my previous comment.
Thanks for posting this blog, I absolutely love it! I am new to using the copic markers and her tutorial was very helpful. Thanks again!

"Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels." Faith Whittlesey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #63  
Die Cut Diva

Just piping in on the watercolor paper & Copics ~ from my understanding you don't want to use watercolor paper because the paper will suck you marker DRY (and as Lynn noted~ apparently it will dry out Sharpies as well).

As for the whole debate ~ find what you love! There are people who can make the cheapest Crayola markers create stunning works of art and there are people who can make the Copics look like a kindergartner colored with them. And just because someone can make SU markers or Sharpie's look like Copics, doesn't mean that everyone can ~ but not everyone can make Copics look like Copics either (all the various mediums take the proper set of tools/ papers/ inks, etc and time to learn to use them as well).

I wish I could say I was one of those who was a 'natural' artist and could make all the mediums perform beautifully, but I am not ~ nothing I could do would ever make the SU/water-based markers look decent (for me) ~ but I get results that I AM pleased with (do they look like any of the 'Greats' here on SCS ~ no, but they are not a streaky, pilled up mess).

So, if you have a coloring system that works for you ~ stay with it ~love it ~ and improve it (oh, and make sure to show it off!). If you want to try Copics, then try them. But just because you don't see what is so special about them, doesn't mean someone else doesn't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 04:04 PM   #64  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGMommyof2Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Just piping in on the watercolor paper & Copics ~ from my understanding you don't want to use watercolor paper because the paper will suck you marker DRY (and as Lynn noted~ apparently it will dry out Sharpies as well).

As for the whole debate ~ find what you love! There are people who can make the cheapest Crayola markers create stunning works of art and there are people who can make the Copics look like a kindergartner colored with them. And just because someone can make SU markers or Sharpie's look like Copics, doesn't mean that everyone can ~ but not everyone can make Copics look like Copics either (all the various mediums take the proper set of tools/ papers/ inks, etc and time to learn to use them as well).

I wish I could say I was one of those who was a 'natural' artist and could make all the mediums perform beautifully, but I am not ~ nothing I could do would ever make the SU/water-based markers look decent (for me) ~ but I get results that I AM pleased with (do they look like any of the 'Greats' here on SCS ~ no, but they are not a streaky, pilled up mess).

So, if you have a coloring system that works for you ~ stay with it ~love it ~ and improve it (oh, and make sure to show it off!). If you want to try Copics, then try them. But just because you don't see what is so special about them, doesn't mean someone else doesn't.
Good points! Maybe that's exactly what I was trying to say, that it's more the artist than the medium I think the whole thing was that it would be nice to be able to TRY the Copics before investing so much in them, for that very reason. KWIM? That's why I tried the Sharpies I already had (since I'd read that they were basically the same, an alcohol ink marker, and I suspected I wouldn't be as good at using them as the others)--but perhaps it WOULD be different to use the actual Copics.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #65  
Kookie Creator

I have to say that in an ideal world, everyone could try Copics BEFORE they buy them. One thing I hate is for people to not be satisfied with any product because it does not fit them, not that the product has problems or the user has problems but the two just aren't right for each other.

Copics are spendy. No one should jump in and get a huge set of them without a testdrive. There are two things I hate to see in threads
1. I have like 50 Copics but I never use them
2. I bought a whole bunch of Copics but I didn't like how they worked so I sold them all.

Aack! Both of these should never happen. Buy supplies that fit you, not jumping on a bandwagon. If you like the look of Copics, and are willing to learn tricks, then you won't regret your purchase. If you think your own look is just fine and you couldn't see investing so much money in Copics, then maybe they aren't right for you.

If you want a good test, start with 4 copics and a flower image stamped with recommended inks on recommended paper. Pick 2 colors for the blossom and two colors for the stem. Keep the numbers about 3 or 4 digits apart. Then play, read, study, look. If it isn't what you like then you can always sell those markers, but you'll know that you gave them a good try before a huge commitment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #66  
Forum Fanatic

BTW, I found a Bic Markit (permanent, alchohol based) that matches Pixie Pink perfectly (missing from the Copic chart): it's called Pink Flamingo. Just in case you want that color (it will work with the Copics).
I also found that Desert Rose is very close to Bravo Burgundy (also missing from the Copic comparison list), and Woodsy Brown is close to Basic Brown.
Still no match for Pink Passion, Bordering Blue or Perfect Plum?
I got all of these colors (and more matches that I didn't list because there was an equivalent Copic already listed) in a set of 36 at Target for $19, so not a bad supplement (yeah, I know I said that I wasn't that great at using the Sharpies, but I figure at this price it's worth trying some more--plus, new ones might be better).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #67  
Glitter Queen

I love my coppic, I use them to air brush through my
sb dies all the time . I can get so many diffrent shades
it makes the die pop even more then chalk or inking
I can't say enough about them .
kiki
Reply With Quote Likes