Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #1161  
Bar
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by deborahmeganView Post
I'm FRUSTRATED!! Momento does NOT always work for me. I stamp it, I wait for it to dry, I start to color and it BLEEDS!!! UGH. It's so annoying. Sometimes, it doesn't bleed, but sometimes not. SO irritating. I'm especially irritated because I just got some new stamps in and I want to color them and it's not working. I feel like I have to let Momento "set" over night for it not to bleed. I stamped an image and got half of it colored without a problem. Then the next part started to bleed and I can't use it at all. I pulled out the Brilliance and I can't get a clean image to start with. Maybe I'm just not supposed to stamp today. Humph.

Sorry, just thought I'd post this in case any one else is having the same stinky problem.
You are not alone. It does the exact same thing for me. I've tried it on PTI and GP--both do it. I have some Gina K 80lb. on order. Hoping that fixes the problem.
Proudly designing for: My Favorite Things
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #1162  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarView Post
You are not alone. It does the exact same thing for me. I've tried it on PTI and GP--both do it. I have some Gina K 80lb. on order. Hoping that fixes the problem.
Nope. I was doing this on the Gina K PL. Ugh...and I love that stuff!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #1163  
Pearl-ExPert

I didn't read far back to see if this has been posted yet. I was looking on Oozak to see if they got their shipment in and they're going to start carrying Memento ink pads and refills in March. I think it's a good price for them too.
Wish RAK Mentor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #1164  
Bar

Quote:

Nope. I was doing this on the Gina K PL. Ugh...and I love that stuff!!
Dang. Not what I wanted to hear
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #1165  
Die Cut Diva

Just wanted to post for any Canadians that Carpe Diem unfortunately doesn't ship to Canada

I really wanted to add some more markers to my collection by purchasing from Oozak (which by the way were sooooo incredible to deal with! By the time I had checked out my order and paid one of the markers went out of stock...get this: they emailed me, refunded me the price of the marker and also told me that shipping was actually a bit cheaper AND the brokerage fee's would be cheaper by this method of shipping and refunded me that cost as well! I was floored....and soooo impressed by that) but, they are still out of some of the specific ones on my list and shipping is not cheap to me so the last thing I want to have to do is keep putting through small orders...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #1166  
First To Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappingmelissaView Post
http://www.carpediemstore.com has ciaos for 2.65 is that a good price?? Are they reliable?
not sure about the price as I use the sketch but the store is very good!

Cards from the Cabana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #1167  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Thank you!!! At least I'm not crazy. Clear ep is on my list for my next order...that'll be my "go to" method soon!!
I've used Versafine black and detail clear embossing powder and this method is very consistant. I've never had it smear even when I used a the colorless blender.

I used this method on this card:
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=20234 close up
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=20234 card

I got the hat to dark so I lightened it up with the blender and the lines got a little thinner (I really used alot of blender) but it didn't smear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #1168  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Dang. Not what I wanted to hear
I'm still stumped about this. I'm so sorry that this is happening because I would be completely frustrated. I never have a problem with Memento, so I'm awfully curious. I'm wondering, how are you guys applying the ink to your stamp? I can only think of possibly an uneven coat and there are spots with too much ink and isn't dry before you color? I hold my stamps upside down (rubber side up and slide the ink pad once to make sure all the lines are covered, then tap the pad on it. If all fails, maybe try a new pad? I've used Memento on Neenah, Gina K., SU! and PTI. I never seen it bleed. Not what you want to hear, I know, but I'm hoping that it can help with some remedies. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #1169  
Pearl-ExPert

Never seem clear EP used with copics. How does this work? I am curious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvpaper2View Post
I've used Versafine black and detail clear embossing powder and this method is very consistant. I've never had it smear even when I used a the colorless blender.

I used this method on this card:
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=20234 close up
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=20234 card

I got the hat to dark so I lightened it up with the blender and the lines got a little thinner (I really used alot of blender) but it didn't smear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #1170  
Compulsive Stamper

I just got an order from oozak today (I'm in Canada) and shipping was super good!

Charlene
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #1171  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I use Versafine Onyx Black ink to stamp the image and then emboss with DETAIL CLEAR. It works great and looks pretty!

It is the metallic embossing powders that can not be used with copics because of the alcohol reacting to the metallic embossing powder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #1172  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

http://www.carpediemstore.com has ciaos for 2.65 is that a good price?? Are they reliable?
Two days ago I bought 11 copics. I checked out carpediemstore.com but could only find Sketch copics (something must be wrong with me) and didn't want to spend $11.41 for S&H. Then I checked out www.merriartist.com where I found Ciaos for $3.22 each and shipping for $5.95. They had all but one in stock PLUS they shipped the same day I paid, and the markers arrived the following day. I was very pleased.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #1173  
Pearl-ExPert

oops
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #1174  
Inking Addict

I need to ask, what is Clear EP? What does it do? And where do I find it? This is all new stuff to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #1175  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Today I recieved my Copic markers from http://www.oozak.com/copic.php

I ordered them the other day and they are here now!! I can't wait to play with the color's I got.

Oozak has Super shipping and their Shipping prices are super too!!

I saw someone mention about the other place having $12.00 shipping.

Ouch!! that's one reason I don't go there to shop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #1176  
Bar

Quote:

Originally Posted by furaView Post
I'm still stumped about this. I'm so sorry that this is happening because I would be completely frustrated. I never have a problem with Memento, so I'm awfully curious. I'm wondering, how are you guys applying the ink to your stamp? I can only think of possibly an uneven coat and there are spots with too much ink and isn't dry before you color? I hold my stamps upside down (rubber side up and slide the ink pad once to make sure all the lines are covered, then tap the pad on it. If all fails, maybe try a new pad? I've used Memento on Neenah, Gina K., SU! and PTI. I never seen it bleed. Not what you want to hear, I know, but I'm hoping that it can help with some remedies. Good Luck!
Well, I can't SWEAR there are no uneven coats, but I apply it to the stamp exactly like you do. I get the bleeding--or feathering, whatever you call it--when I do more blending close to the stamped line and also when I try to correct a mistake. My ink bad is brand new, actually. Well, only about 3 weeks old. I was using a dew drop first and then got a large pad. I'm now trying to not get right up to the line but let the ink "spread" to it. I'm flying by the seat of my pants, here, LOL. Thanks for trying to help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #1177  
Glitter Queen

Ok, two weeks ago I didn't own any Copics. Then I purchased a basic set and a few other colors, for a total of 21 markers. I got them a few days later and fell in love. I made a few more purchases, and as of today, I'm the owner of 170 different Copic Sketch markers. I'm completely hooked. I can't wait until OOZAK gets in more colors cuz I've ordered everything that they have in stock.

Visit my blog

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #1178  
Rubber Obsessor

For those who have issues with Memento bleeding... I wonder if it has anything to do with humidity, which could affect your paper. Think about how variable flour can be, for example, when baking bread or making pasta, for anyone who does that. Have you tried heat setting, even though many people don't need it? I find that I do need to let it dry a few minutes on certain days, and just realized maybe that's why. But if I hit it with my heat gun, it's fine. I also wonder if soaking your paper close to but not directly up to the line will help. I am improving in terms of not getting feathering, and maybe this also helped my rare ink issues. I use PTI, btw.

And ooh, got my Oozak order today. Great shopping experience! Must not purchase more. Must not purchase more. Must not purchase more.

Cynthia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #1179  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

This is where I got the idea - Jenn is amazing. If you scroll down she has a Copic 101 Tutorial . (I've posted this before - so I apologize for repeating. I think she's fantastic!)

http://www.kiyomikrafts.com/kiyomi/2...opics-101.html

She also has an embossing tutorial if you look on the right side bar under tutorials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #1180  
Pearl-ExPert

I am also wondering if there is a logical explanation for the ink bleeding for some?? Like the humidity idea?

I have never had any type of bleeding with either Memento or Brilliance without heat setting on any of my papers except when I color over like an eye on a critter a few times with a light color. I only did this to see if it WOULD smear...and it did. But I never go over lines when I color, I go up to them...touching maybe, but not *scrubbing* them with my markers.
I have actually used my copics with SU Classic inks without bleeding if I color carefully.

Have you all seen this: http://stampingscience.blogspot.com/...ink-tests
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #1181  
Glitter Guru

I like the humidity idea. I can't understand why some people have problems and others don't. I live in northern Oklahoma and it's been very dry lately. I'm going to let my image "set" over night and try to color it tomorrow. I could ask my chemist husband if he has any other ideas....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #1182  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Well, I can't SWEAR there are no uneven coats, but I apply it to the stamp exactly like you do. I get the bleeding--or feathering, whatever you call it--when I do more blending close to the stamped line and also when I try to correct a mistake. My ink bad is brand new, actually. Well, only about 3 weeks old. I was using a dew drop first and then got a large pad. I'm now trying to not get right up to the line but let the ink "spread" to it. I'm flying by the seat of my pants, here, LOL. Thanks for trying to help!
Are you talking about the Copic color running over the line, or are you talking about the black ink itself smearing?

I am definitely NOT getting pooling or wet ink when Memento bleeds on me (the black ink gets into my color), but I think I've heard that the paper can make a difference with this...so it could even be the paper we are using vs. those who have success with Memento arrrgh ONE thing I DON'T like about Copics!

For the other poster, "clear ep" is clear embossing powder (not colored). You'll find it anywhere you find stamping inks etc. "Detail" clear EP is a little finer, so it works better on detailed images with lots of lines and intricate areas. You have to use an ink that doesn't dry fast, and the EP sticks to the ink. Then you heat it and it pops up kind of...
HTH!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #1183  
Rubber Obsessor

OK...

"I get the bleeding--or feathering, whatever you call it--when I do more blending close to the stamped line and also when I try to correct a mistake."

This is IMO not an ink issue, it's a too much marker issue. Ink issues are when your ink smudges/bleeds, for lack of a better term. Feathering is when the marker migrates out of your line. I guess you could have a combo as well. In terms of troubleshooting, though, I think this is a good distinction to make in terms of describing issues.

I had feathering issues a lot at the beginning and not so much now. I think it's all about how much marker you put down, and how thick (and thus forgiving) your paper is. Now that I have more colors, I am not working my coloring as much to get the effect I want, which has really helped along with the PTI cardstock. If you soak it too much, however, it's going to migrate. Try tip to tip blending (so you blend w/o putting as much marker down) or practice with one or two colors where you simply soak to get a feel w/o layering as much. I really think you are putting too much marker down. Also, if you need to clean up with the blender, make sure your work is 100% dry before you shove the excess color onto your line as otherwise, it can make matters worse and not better.

Also, for anyone with ink bleeding issues, would love to see a regular vs. heat set comparison. Maybe that's the magic answer for some chemistry-type reason that I will never understand?? It seems like at the very least, it would remove any moisture issues. It's weird that combos that seem to work for most to prevent bleeding do not work for all, and although I am certainly no expert, I have to believe that it's some sort of environmental issue.

Cynthia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #1184  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Copics Chatter

OK, I'm in Australia and don't know too much about these markers.
I've seen two kinds both come in 72 packs but one is call just Copics the other and the Aus$ cheaper (by about A$150) is called Copics Ciao !!!! are these not so good - HELP
Scrapbook Boutique
Proud Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 03:38 AM   #1185  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks Gale,
I kept looking through the forum and found a blog from a lady who represents Copic Markers and she gave quite a good description of 3 types. I'm now tossing up between the "original" Copic and the Ciao - would love to hear if anyone out there has a preference and why!
Scrapbook Boutique
Proud Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 07:27 AM   #1186  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by TillymintView Post
Thanks Gale,
I kept looking through the forum and found a blog from a lady who represents Copic Markers and she gave quite a good description of 3 types. I'm now tossing up between the "original" Copic and the Ciao - would love to hear if anyone out there has a preference and why!
If they are JUST called Copic...I would guess they are the Original Copics.

All three styles have a medium broad nib on one side on the other end Sketch and Ciao have a soft brush tip, and the Original has a hard round tip so if you prefer one style for coloring, you go from there. Although you can put the brush nib in the Originals if you like those.

Original:
Square Body
Holds the most ink
Caps fit on end (so you don't lose them)
Color name & code on end
Fine nib & Medium broad nib
214 Colors

Sketch:
Oval Body
Holds medium amt ink
Color name and code on end of cap
Super brush and Medium broad nib
322 Colors

Ciao:
Round Body
Holds least amt ink
Cheapest
Child-safe cap with no label on end
Caps fit on other end so you dont lose them
Super brush and Medium broad nib
144 Colors

Only Original and Sketch are listed as refillable and air-brush compatible by Copic, however there are ways around those if you want to use Ciao.

I buy Sketch...I prefer to color with the brush end, I like the color codes on the end, I like the shape, I like that they come in all the colors and I like that the don't roll off the table.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #1187  
Total Quack

According to the Copic Markers site, the Ciao are refillable.

Look here - http://www.copicmarker.com/faq.html - where it says the 'differences in the markers'.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #1188  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShellView Post
According to the Copic Markers site, the Ciao are refillable.

Look here - http://www.copicmarker.com/faq.html - where it says the 'differences in the markers'.
Oops sorry!! Not sure what I was thinking...the whole point of Copics is that they are refillable. My brain took today off...I can't even remember what I meant to say. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #1189  
Pearl-ExPert

ok, what if i just want to purchase ONE copic sketch? i know, that is very conservative for the likes of this thread but.... does anywhere online just charge first class postage? i thought hannastamps would be a good place, she will let you adjust your shipping to first class but she does not have that color and only carries ciao.

our hobby lobby does not carry the color. i just need E07.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #1190  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaufeestamperView Post
ok, what if i just want to purchase ONE copic sketch? i know, that is very conservative for the likes of this thread but.... does anywhere online just charge first class postage? i thought hannastamps would be a good place, she will let you adjust your shipping to first class but she does not have that color and only carries ciao.

I would post on BST in the ISO section...I did this when I needed YG63 and EVERYONE was sold out...I got one in like 20 minutes from someone who had a double.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #1191  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
I would post on BST in the ISO section...I did this when I needed YG63 and EVERYONE was sold out...I got one in like 20 minutes from someone who had a double.
cool. off to tweak my BST.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #1192  
Pearl-ExPert

i am heading to Hobby Lobby this afternoon, Want me to see if they have e07?

I can ship it very cheap i am sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #1193  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

i am heading to Hobby Lobby this afternoon, Want me to see if they have e07?

I can ship it very cheap i am sure.
WOW, if you would, that would be awesome! I think they are 30% off this week too. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #1194  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
Oops sorry!! Not sure what I was thinking...the whole point of Copics is that they are refillable. My brain took today off...I can't even remember what I meant to say. LOL

Well, you were *right* that it's difficult to use Ciaos in the airbrush system! LOL! Maybe that was what you were thinking of.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #1195  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

WOW, if you would, that would be awesome! I think they are 30% off this week too. Thanks so much!

sure no problem. I will let you know this evening if they had it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #1196  
Quacker Stamper

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

that would be so cool. I have a list of what my H.L. sells, so I need to check and see if any are on my wish list.
Blog: http://maggiescathouse.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #1197  
Pearl-ExPert

that's a good idea. i should make a list the next time i'm there. they are the only place in town that sells them. i WAS smart enough to just call and ask yesterday instead of dragging two toddlers out to look for one color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #1198  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Oozak.com will be starting to ship smaller order for markers under 9 First Class. I got them directly from Rusty a litte while ago. Cause he just called me to let me know they will be changing my shipping from $4.95 to first class.

So if you wanted to purchase one or two markers then you could have it shipped first class.

You have an option when checking out. They ship both UPS and USPS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #1199  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
Oozak.com will be starting to ship smaller order for markers under 9 First Class. I got them directly from Rusty a litte while ago. Cause he just called me to let me know they will be changing my shipping from $4.95 to first class.

So if you wanted to purchase one or two markers then you could have it shipped first class.

You have an option when checking out. They ship both UPS and USPS
Rusty, you are great! That would be fabulous. Now, if they just had EO7 in stock. Whaaaaaaaaa!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #1200  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't know if this has been asked before....I'm going to a copic certification class this weekend (woot!) and I'm wondering what I should bring with me?? The class instructions list says you may bring your own markers if you wish, cardstock to test, and stamped images, as well as things to test the airbrush system on. Any suggestions? I was thinking I'd bring some flowers and chipboard to airbrush and if I had a few minutes I'd stamp out a few things. I know we won't be making complete projects just learning techniques etc. So I'm just curious if anyone who has been to the certification class has any recommendations? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes