Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #801  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_TView Post
Jeaniebean,
I used the tutorial that you are talking about to make this card. I have more markers than just the darkest and lightest, but I used her technique and it helped with shading. Her blog is great. She always shows the colors that she used. I'm not there yet but it helped me alot. Here's the link: http://www.kiyomikrafts.com/kiyomi/2...opics-101.html
I did what she said with embossing too, and it really helped keep the ink from seeping out of the lines when I used alot of ink.
You did awesome with that technique, it looks gorgeous!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #802  
Stazon Splitcoast

Inky,

Your card looks great to me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #803  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by gallcompView Post
Michaels don't carry copics, I'm not sure about AC Moore. Right now your best bet is to get them online, and find really god deals, as there is some kind of price adjustments going on with two major sellers...

Google for Carpe Diem, and Oozak for the cheapest prices around.
Originally I was going to order thru Oozak because I heard they were the cheapest but also that they're out of a lot too. I priced it all out last night and given oozak was out of about 13 colors I wanted (out of 24), had they had those in at the same price as the others, I'd spend more (not much) at Oozak. So I decided since carpe diem has them all in stock and free shipping on copics over $50 that I can't go wrong getting them there as they are also highly recommneded AND I get what I want NOW! Just an FYI, I think the free shipping is until 2/15 as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #804  
Matboard Maniac

Default Practicing

One of the things I did to practice is to stamp the same image over and over and then just play around with coloring the same image with different colors. It seemed to help me to see what blended and what didn't. I'm including my example.....but I tried to do each one with different colors. some blended well and some didn't blend as well.

Maybe that would help with the practice.....just to play.
These are cupcakes from the greeting farm.
Attached Thumbnails
Copic Chatter-copic-003-medium-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #805  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by missinkyfingersView Post
Originally I was going to order thru Oozak because I heard they were the cheapest but also that they're out of a lot too. I priced it all out last night and given oozak was out of about 13 colors I wanted (out of 24), had they had those in at the same price as the others, I'd spend more (not much) at Oozak. So I decided since carpe diem has them all in stock and free shipping on copics over $50 that I can't go wrong getting them there as they are also highly recommneded AND I get what I want NOW! Just an FYI, I think the free shipping is until 2/15 as well.
Yes, that's only if you are getting Sketch markers though. I was going to get Ciaos...but if you pay their shipping, it makes the markers cost more like $3-4 each instead of $2.65 (if you don't get a whole lot), at which point I could buy them at LSS. However, at $4 for Sketch (with free shipping), it's like I am getting a Sketch for a Ciao price. I am getting just the ones that do not come in Ciao for now and I'll slowly add the Ciao to that, because it's still going to be over $50 just for those!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #806  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoolieView Post
One of the things I did to practice is to stamp the same image over and over and then just play around with coloring the same image with different colors. It seemed to help me to see what blended and what didn't. I'm including my example.....but I tried to do each one with different colors. some blended well and some didn't blend as well.

Maybe that would help with the practice.....just to play.
These are cupcakes from the greeting farm.
That's an awesome idea!! Thank you for sharing that. Your cupcakes look great too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #807  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftycrunchymamaView Post
http://www.kiyomikrafts.com/kiyomi/2...opics-101.html

I think you are talking about her. She has some talent!! Personally I haven't had much success with her way but I don't think I have the right colors.
Yep, that's the one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #808  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeView Post
Yes, that's only if you are getting Sketch markers though. I was going to get Ciaos...but if you pay their shipping, it makes the markers cost more like $3-4 each instead of $2.65 (if you don't get a whole lot), at which point I could buy them at LSS. However, at $4 for Sketch (with free shipping), it's like I am getting a Sketch for a Ciao price. I am getting just the ones that do not come in Ciao for now and I'll slowly add the Ciao to that, because it's still going to be over $50 just for those!
Yes, that is correct, it's for sketch, sorry I didn't specify. Those are the ones most suggested and I think i can see why so I'm going with those. I just compared them to Oozak's prices, it's only a few dollars difference really but I can get all the colors I want at Carpediem, Oozak is out of almost 1/2 of just the set I'm looking to get that was recommended as a nice starter set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #809  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeView Post
Do you have any examples with the N's?
I'm sorry, the best example I did that I can think of I did not take a photo! But I did do a decent effort at a Halloween cauldron with my Ns and the darkest one I have is a N6. It looked very cauldron-like and black. From what I can tell, the N, T, and C are all relatively the same (obviously, subtle differences, but nothing dramatic). T is a cross btwn N & W, I think, but quite close to the N. I was thinking about it but could not pull the plug once I swatched it in person. The W is indeed a different color and I like it for animals and have 3.

For those looking for copics, I suggest checking out your local art supply store as an alternate to purchasing online or at a LSS.

Also (and bear in mind that I *LOVE* Dick Blick), I am sorry to say that although they say they have all the colors in sketch, they don't (I shop at the Loop and Lincoln Park locations). They do, however, have a lot. But I specifically wanted to check out the B90s and the E30, and they don't have those. Cannot complain, however! Got a nice assortment of auburn colors with a few trips with my very patient hubby over the weeked with the printable 40% coupon. They have not yet raised prices, so even with the egregious Chicago tax they are $3.48/each with 40% off.

Cynthia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #810  
Hardware Hotshot

I've a question maybe one of you can answer. I just came across a thread "what if you can't afford copics" and the found some markers called Chartpak. The color chart seems somewhat similar to Copic specifically in the grays.

Is there a huge difference other than the tip(s)? Coloring? Is it still better to invest in Copics? I don't want to spend a couple hundred and get 100 markers from Chartpak and I'm getting like 40 Copics but later I need to replace the Chartpak anyway. Part of the reason I lean toward Copic too is that so many of you use them that when I need help coloring something I'll better be able to communicate with others and them with me.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #811  
Rubber Obsessor

The only markers that I have personally found that work like Copics are the Neopiko brand (Look at oozak.com). Their brush tip is quite similar to the Copic one, they cost alot less and have a nice selection of colors, down side is that they are disposable.

| Copic Certified Designer | ~ My Blog -CopicArt.com~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #812  
Gabfest Goddess

"Chartpak Ad Markers are designed for artists, designers and architects. These oil-based markers have a single nib that will produce three distinct line widths with a mere shift of the wrist. The unique nib shape gives the user precise control over each stroke, and colors blend easily when wet yet hold when dry. With color-coded barrels and caps." These, like Copics, sound like they are designed specifically for the professional and so are very likely "good quality" and not crayola type markers...might be a good choice too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 12:46 AM   #813  
Kookie Creator

Me, speaking now as an unbiased artist and someone who has used both Copic and Chartpack tell you you will regret it.

Yes, the Chartpack are professional markers and they are used in schools across the country. Will you be happy? NO. The biggest turn-off for me when I had a set was the smell. I could not work in my studio with them. Second, they are disposable. Why throw them away when you can refill a Copic? Third, the tip is not as useful as you would think. My work was streaky and I couldn't find a "happy place" when working with the tip.

If possible, try one so you can see for yourself the difference. Try one Copic, one Prismacolor marker, and try one Chartpack, Tria, or Sharpie. For a long-term relationship I choose Copic any day (and NOT because I work for the company!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 02:03 AM   #814  
Polyshrink Goddess

Great Copic deal at ritzcamera.com ..... just sharing my own temptation!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 04:46 AM   #815  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Personally I have gone the 'lesser' route before and usually regret it and end up buying the better stuff after all. So now I just get the good stuff to begin with-it actually ends up saving me money. lol
That was my thought......I just wanted to get others opinions on as if they're any good, same, worse, etc. JUST IN CASE as I've done the same and learned my lesson a few times. That's why I'd been so hesitant to get clear/acrylic stamps, I thought they couldn't be as good, they're cheaper. While I think you've to be careful (I've not even made a card yet, just inked them) to get the line definition you want, they stamp just fine.

After all the research I've done on these copics and the fact that I can communicate with the many users out here when I've a problem as I'm likely to have, I'm still leaning toward the copics. SO hoping to get my order finalized tonight. I'm thinking my selection is pretty good......but if not, I'll add later.

Thanks for your opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 04:50 AM   #816  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemarkersView Post
Me, speaking now as an unbiased artist and someone who has used both Copic and Chartpack tell you you will regret it.

Yes, the Chartpack are professional markers and they are used in schools across the country. Will you be happy? NO. The biggest turn-off for me when I had a set was the smell. I could not work in my studio with them. Second, they are disposable. Why throw them away when you can refill a Copic? Third, the tip is not as useful as you would think. My work was streaky and I couldn't find a "happy place" when working with the tip.

If possible, try one so you can see for yourself the difference. Try one Copic, one Prismacolor marker, and try one Chartpack, Tria, or Sharpie. For a long-term relationship I choose Copic any day (and NOT because I work for the company!)
That was another thing I was wondering so thank you for answering that. In the long run then, Copics would actually be more economical. I've gotten the go-ahead for these, I'm super geeked about them so I'm sticking with them as the consensus is Copic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #817  
Die Cut Diva

Okay, dumb question....

I see that I can get free shipping from carpe diem for orders of $50 or more in sketch markers. Since that's all I use, I'm going to be taking advantage of their good stock (once I get home to verify what I already have).

My question is Can I add some Various Ink refills to my $50 sketch order and still get free shipping? Or will they ONLY ship sketch markers for free?

Clear as mud, right? LOL~ I emailed them, but haven't gotten a reply yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 06:42 AM   #818  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs crafty chikView Post
Great Copic deal at ritzcamera.com ..... just sharing my own temptation!
I see these for the Caio ones, $3.22 a marker. 20% off all scrapbook stuff too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 06:51 AM   #819  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
Okay, dumb question....

I see that I can get free shipping from carpe diem for orders of $50 or more in sketch markers. Since that's all I use, I'm going to be taking advantage of their good stock (once I get home to verify what I already have).

My question is Can I add some Various Ink refills to my $50 sketch order and still get free shipping? Or will they ONLY ship sketch markers for free?

I can't answer that for you because I'm ordering all Sketch and well over $50 but hopefully they'll let you still do that. If not, you'll just have to buy $50 in sketch markers and then add your inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #820  
Stampin' Fool

okay, I'm sure this was answered at some point in the thread, but I haven't found it yet...

I finally got some copics for my birthday (yay!) and have about 36. A nice selection of colors for me. I also bought some Memento ink because I heard it was good... but the image is still bleeding. Any tips/tricks/suggestions? Do I need different cardstock, or is there a BETTER ink, or am I not doing it right???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #821  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaelaView Post
okay, I'm sure this was answered at some point in the thread, but I haven't found it yet...

I finally got some copics for my birthday (yay!) and have about 36. A nice selection of colors for me. I also bought some Memento ink because I heard it was good... but the image is still bleeding. Any tips/tricks/suggestions? Do I need different cardstock, or is there a BETTER ink, or am I not doing it right???
i've been whining about this on this thread as well. i've tried a couple inks and papers. memento on gina k. is giving me the best luck with black not bleeding into my skin tone coloring. however, it is VERY thick paper and it seems to take a lot more ink to saturate. i've heard some people like less thick paper for that reason. maybe next time i will try gina k's less heavy cardstock? hope that helps. i have her heaviest right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #822  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use Papertrey Ink paper and love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #823  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I use Memento ink with Neenah Avalnche Whtie 80lb. card stock and have no problem.

Are you letting the ink dry? I mean only about 1 minute or so.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #824  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by missinkyfingersView Post
I can't answer that for you because I'm ordering all Sketch and well over $50 but hopefully they'll let you still do that. If not, you'll just have to buy $50 in sketch markers and then add your inks.
I'm actually planning to order around $100 in sketch markers. I just want to add 4 various ink refills to that order and still get free shipping. LOL~

What can I say? I'm cheap and hate to pay shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #825  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty14View Post
I use Memento ink with Neenah Avalnche Whtie 80lb. card stock and have no problem.

Are you letting the ink dry? I mean only about 1 minute or so.
yes, I stamped two images last night. I colored the first one and it bled. I let the other one dry overnight and colored it this morning and it still bled.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #826  
Stampin' Fool

Question

Quote:

yes, I stamped two images last night. I colored the first one and it bled. I let the other one dry overnight and colored it this morning and it still bled.
I might have missed this but, what card stock are you using?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #827  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I'm stumped. I can color right away after using my Memento ink pad, I never have to heat set. I'm curious why it's still bleeding. Is it smearing the Memento ink on your paper when you're coloring or is there too much ink from your Copic marker coming out? Is the cs you're using coated?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #828  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I have had varying luck with bleeding. I have tried Momento ink, Palette Noir ink, Adirondak Pitch Black ink, Brilliance black ink and a host of others.

If I use Momento with Neenah smooth cardstock, I get mostly good results. On anything else, even after being heat-set, it still bleeds occasionally.

I'm planning to just bit the bullet and order a ream of Neenah straight from the company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #829  
Pearl-ExPert

Ok....I think this was posted before, but now is a good time to share it again...with all the ink talk:

http://stampingscience.blogspot.com/...ink-tests.html

Shows ALL the inks on ALL the papers, and the results you can expect. I personally have tried a few, and got the same results, soooo...I am guessing if your results are significantly different, it IS possible that there is a bad inkpad involved?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #830  
Kookie Creator

Shaela,

I could not find what paper you are using??

I tend to have more bleeding with papers that are coated or ultrasmooth. I do not get good results with SU! or Cougar cover from Marcos. Memento is my go to ink - I love everything about it. I use the paper from the Paper Garden Projects store and it has not failed me yet. I also know many people who use Neenah Classic Crest and love it.

One thing I do - I stamp my image and let it dry while I prep most of the rest of the card. So it dries a couple of minutes before I color. (but I have stamped and colored right away and have been fine)

But mostly I just wanted to say - please don't get discouraged. I know it must be very frustrating, having paid so much for the markers. But once you find the right paper - you will be able to color and blend your little heart out.

I use a lot of marker ink and blending solution and its amazing to me how much I can re-work an area without any damage to the stamped image or the paper. I honestly adore my Copics and I really think you will too.

My site: Paper Garden Projects

Last edited by Mom0fgirls; 02-10-2009 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #831  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I'm actually planning to order around $100 in sketch markers. I just want to add 4 various ink refills to that order and still get free shipping. LOL~

What can I say? I'm cheap and hate to pay shipping.
Oh, then I don't see why you wouldn't and I hope you still would because I plan to add other stuff to my order too.......you're not cheap, smart, when you can save S&H dollars it's more dollars for copics, stamps, embellies, paper, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #832  
Stazon Splitcoast

gee, Thanks gals - I just spent $100 at Carpe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #833  
Matboard Maniac

Ok I have a question. Tomorrow I'm taking my copic class and need to bring some of my copics with me. Well I have over 200 markers and I'm not obviously bringing them all. So besides the colorless blender I was thinking a few from each color family. What do you all suggest I bring for colors? I'm not sure what we will be coloring.

My new BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #834  
Stampin' Fool

I would bring a few for skin tones in case the images involved people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #835  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubascrapperView Post
Ok I have a question. Tomorrow I'm taking my copic class and need to bring some of my copics with me. Well I have over 200 markers and I'm not obviously bringing them all. So besides the colorless blender I was thinking a few from each color family. What do you all suggest I bring for colors? I'm not sure what we will be coloring.
I'm assuming this is a worksop, not a certification class right?

Most likely they will be teaching techniques rather than full projects, so a few of your favourite colors will do.

Make sure to mark your copics, so you dontget confused with someone else's markers...

Have Fun.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #836  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I'm assuming this is a worksop, not a certification class right?

Most likely they will be teaching techniques rather than full projects, so a few of your favourite colors will do.

Make sure to mark your copics, so you dontget confused with someone else's markers...

Have Fun.
You are correct this is a workshop. Unfortunately the certifiction class in my area is full so this is going to have to do. I'll definitely bring skin tones and do you suggest a couple from the low end of the number range and a couple from the high end? How many do you think I should bring?

Someone else suggested marking them with my name as well. This is a really good idea. What would be the best way to do this? I was thinking maybe a piece of tape or something. I can't imagine writing on the barrels.

My new BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #837  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

What would be the best way to do this? I was thinking maybe a piece of tape or something. I can't imagine writing on the barrels.
That will do, just something that can be spoted right away, and can be removed once your class is done. as for colors, take a couple of the basic colors (yellow, gree, blue, and red), a pair of skin tones, maybe a soft brown. Don't bother with grays, or blacks.

Have Fun.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #838  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Someone else suggested marking them with my name as well. This is a really good idea. What would be the best way to do this? I was thinking maybe a piece of tape or something. I can't imagine writing on the barrels.
You could write on the barrels with a fine sharpie, then use your stazon cleaner to wipe it off when you get home...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #839  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

That will do, just something that can be spoted right away, and can be removed once your class is done. as for colors, take a couple of the basic colors (yellow, gree, blue, and red), a pair of skin tones, maybe a soft brown. Don't bother with grays, or blacks.

Have Fun.
Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.

My new BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #840  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Okay, dumb question....

Yeah, their customer service seems to be a bit lacking. I've emailed them on 3 different occasions (different questions) with never a reply. I did order $50 in Sketch along with some other things, and they did remove the whole shipping charge on the screen at least (after the order goes through, you have to look in your account to see that, it will show the shipping charge when you first check out). We'll see what actually happens.
If anyone else has had experience with Carpe Diem, how does the credit card charge work? At no time in the checkout did it ask for my card information (just asked "how" I was going to pay)...so when do they get the information??! I'm impatient now, want those Copics!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes