Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #601  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default and HERE it is.....

[QUOTE=SnazzyStamper;12963971]So that took longer than I thought...LOL....I couldn't stop writing!

Well after all that, the attachment didn't go through...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 07:19 AM   #602  
Pearl-ExPert

Well...I just got done reading up to this point...and of course I have something to say...LOL

Kat about looking for a starting point...do you use Stampin' Up products? If so, then my suggestion would be to choose a few of your favorite spring and summery colors from the SU vs Copic list that you know you love, and then buy one lighter marker to go with it. If you just try to pick colors based on online swatches you will be very disappointed because most of the colors look WAY different in person. If you have a place nearby that sells them, that would work too...to just go pick a few colors you LOVE, but choose them by a test sample, NOT by the cap color.

To the blender pen discussion: I use mine for blending color to white/nothing...like when I am doing shadows around an object I will kind of rub the blender around the edges and it mutes it a bit...this is only with a super light shadow though, like C1 or BG000. Otherwise I don't use it much.

And just a general tip for those of you having trouble getting the blending effects you are looking for: SOAK your paper. Color a LOT. Yeah the marker gets a lot darker....use a lighter one than you think you need. If you don't soak the paper, you really can't get rid of marker lines and you won't get a soft blended look.

HTH
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 07:38 AM   #603  
Hardware Hotshot

I haven't been on this thread in a couple days so I apologize if it was asked already. My question is, when your ink runs out, does your tip get all flimsy? And when it gets refilled with ink, does the tip get firmer again?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 07:58 AM   #604  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftycrunchymamaView Post
I haven't been on this thread in a couple days so I apologize if it was asked already. My question is, when your ink runs out, does your tip get all flimsy? And when it gets refilled with ink, does the tip get firmer again?
No they don't get flimsy and then firmer again. Those tips are pretty tough. I have extras in case I have one that I feel needs to be replaced. The tip will just sort of start being streaky when you color. When that happens, add ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 08:10 AM   #605  
Stampin' Fool

For the blender pen discussion. I use my blender pen for lots. One of my favorites is to remove color to make polka dots like here, and here. I also did it on this one. Mostly I use it around the edges if I accidently color outside the line. You for sure need a blender pen!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #606  
Gabfest Goddess

Well I now have 26 copics!!! And, a lot to learn!!!! LOL WOW, it is overwhelming!!! Does anyone have any links to tutorials? Sorry if that has already been asked. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #607  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtlescrapperView Post
Well I now have 26 copics!!! And, a lot to learn!!!! LOL WOW, it is overwhelming!!! Does anyone have any links to tutorials? Sorry if that has already been asked. Thanks for your help!
Go back to post #627! I just spent a couple hours making one yesterday..... and then check Youtube to see what you can find for video....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #608  
Kookie Creator

Snazzystamper,

Your tutorial rocked! I could have saved a lot of ink if I had of had this a few weeks ago. I taught myself the trial by error way. I did use ilikemarkers a lot. She has everything you ever wanted to know about copics and then some.

I thank all of you that take the time to post tutorials.

Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #609  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by new_GA_stamperView Post
Snazzystamper,

Your tutorial rocked! I could have saved a lot of ink if I had of had this a few weeks ago. I taught myself the trial by error way. I did use ilikemarkers a lot. She has everything you ever wanted to know about copics and then some.

I thank all of you that take the time to post tutorials.

Gail
Thanks! It was good reinforcement. I'm wondering if it is too egotistical to post another thread with "tutorial" in the title....so that people don't have to read 16 pages of posts...

Although every time I think about it, I could improve it...LOL!

I didn't mention that markers can be stored horizontal or vertical....but spicas and multiliners HAVE to be HORIZONTAL.

And I completely ignored the airbrush system....

The trick about equalizing the pressure in the marker's body by opening both caps for a few minutes...helping to avoid blobs....especially after air travel or air shipping....

And what about all the wonderful storage ideas and products available?

My friends know me for doing my homework....so I have read everything I could find! And I spend more time "practicing" my techniques than producing any finished pieces...LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #610  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty14View Post
Thanks for the info. I am not a demo so I still have no class available to me, I guess. No way would my local Michaels or A.C. Moore offer a class on copics! LOL! They don't even SELL them and probably never heard of them, either.

I just keep looking for ino here and on youtube. I'm doing the best I can but it would be nice if someone who really knows what they are doing was availbale to look at what I do and that way I can see if I'm on the right track. That's why I was looking for a class.
I'm just getting back into this thread.

If you're in NJ, then the class on Feb 22nd in Long Branch might open up to non-stores in a few days if there is still room. Otherwise, there will be more East-Coast Certification classes in 2009. I just opened my Pensacola and New Orleans classes later this month to the general public. No experience necessary! e-mail me to get in.

For a good tutorial, here is a video posted last week of a quick and easy coloring. I used a new stamp from Our Craft Lounge that won't be available for a couple weeks. I stamped with Memento ink onto a Copic Sketchbook, though I usually use a Neenah Classic Crest cardstock.

You'll see how I start with a light color, coloring in circles and I evenly soak the paper, then add the darker shadows and blend it in with the lighter color. Her skin is E21 and E25, hair is E25, the shorts are BG72 and the purple I use is V12 and V15. THe sky is airbrushed with a B32 or B34, I can't remember.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #611  
Polyshrink Goddess

Welcome back, Marianne! TFS the video. I can't wait to try out the stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #612  
Total Quack

Awesome video, Marianne!!! Thanks for sharing that with us.

I will not get the airbrush thing ... I will not get the airbrush thing ... I will not get the airbrush thing ...... .

And, you're totally right .... coloring with the markers is SO addicting.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 01:30 PM   #613  
Stampin' Fool

Snazzy, where is your tutorial? Sorry, I bet you meant the written out helpful hints. I was thinking a video tutorial.
Never mind

Last edited by sunnysnowflake; 02-02-2009 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: misunderstood, happens way to often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #614  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemarkersView Post
I'm just getting back into this thread.

If you're in NJ, then the class on Feb 22nd in Long Branch might open up to non-stores in a few days if there is still room. Otherwise, there will be more East-Coast Certification classes in 2009. I just opened my Pensacola and New Orleans classes later this month to the general public. No experience necessary! e-mail me to get in.

For a good tutorial, here is a video posted last week of a quick and easy coloring. I used a new stamp from Our Craft Lounge that won't be available for a couple weeks. I stamped with Memento ink onto a Copic Sketchbook, though I usually use a Neenah Classic Crest cardstock.

You'll see how I start with a light color, coloring in circles and I evenly soak the paper, then add the darker shadows and blend it in with the lighter color. Her skin is E21 and E25, hair is E25, the shorts are BG72 and the purple I use is V12 and V15. THe sky is airbrushed with a B32 or B34, I can't remember.

That's a great video that covers the basics so well...and then some! The little butterflies and flowers are so cute and simple!! Thanks Marianne!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #615  
Pearl-ExPert

Holy Cow...ritzcamera is carrying some Copic stuff...they have the airbrush system for $45! I guess I DO need it...LOL

Oh and they have sets of 36 Ciaos for $95...not sure what the going rate is on oozak since the price change since I only buy Sketch, but that looks pretty good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #616  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnysnowflakeView Post
Snazzy, where is your tutorial? Sorry, I bet you meant the written out helpful hints. I was thinking a video tutorial.
Never mind
that's OK....I don't have anything to take a video with! I just figured it would make good reading and reinforce any videos floating around. And then Marianne gave us her link....so I think we are set!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #617  
Matboard Maniac

[QUOTE=SnazzyStamper;12964013]
Quote:

Originally Posted by SnazzyStamperView Post
So that took longer than I thought...LOL....I couldn't stop writing!

Well after all that, the attachment didn't go through...
Thanks for the tips. I printed them out and now feel as if I'll be a little better prepared for when I go to my class next week.

My new BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #618  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
Holy Cow...ritzcamera is carrying some Copic stuff...they have the airbrush system for $45! I guess I DO need it...LOL

Oh and they have sets of 36 Ciaos for $95...not sure what the going rate is on oozak since the price change since I only buy Sketch, but that looks pretty good!
Cher...you just broke my heart. LOL I just bought my airbrush system and am waiting for it to arrive. I hate it when I find great deals AFTER I've placed my order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #619  
Gabfest Goddess

This is a fun video of a "professional" using the copic, amazing what she can do with just one "color", enjoy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 01:38 AM   #620  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Cards for a Cause Challenge Hostess

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEI PETERSENView Post
I use my SU markers to color my rubber stamps just like using the stamp pads. Can you do this with the Copic Markers ? Also what is a good ink pad brand that if you just color with the copic markers that your stamped image will not smear? Thanks Kei email me at [email protected]

I cannot get my copics to do this, the ink seems to dry on the rubber and won't come off on the cs. This is the one thing I don't like about copics, you can do that with SU markers. I will take any advice you have on making this work.....so far not working for me. *~*
designing for
verve stamps, sunday stamps, inspired by, and as you see it challenges
AMAZON shopping

Philippians 4:6-7

Looking for a place to send your stash of cards? Check out Cards For A Cause
Help US Help Others!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 02:56 AM   #621  
Gabfest Goddess

can you use the airbrush system w/ ciao?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 03:22 AM   #622  
Stazon Splitcoast

[QUOTE=davesgram;12978460] This is a fun video of a "professional" using the copic, amazing what she can do with just one "color", enjoy.[/QUOTE] OMG! She's amazing! (Thought I was going to be watching a spoof, but she's for real. Wow!) (I have [B][I]so[/I][/B] much to learn...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 04:53 AM   #623  
Kookie Creator

Has anyone else had trouble blending browns? I can't remember which exact markers I was using, but when I blended the dark brown with the light brown gray colors or orange colors suddenly emerged. It was like the light marker was separating out strange colors in the dark shade. What color combos do you use to shade Teddy bear colors? It could be because I was mixing colors-E55 and E31 for example, but this doesn't happen with other colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #624  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post

Don't TELL ME THAT!!!!!!!!!!!

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 06:01 AM   #625  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by va.sunshineView Post
I cannot get my copics to do this, the ink seems to dry on the rubber and won't come off on the cs. This is the one thing I don't like about copics, you can do that with SU markers. I will take any advice you have on making this work.....so far not working for me. *~*

I did it after seeing a post on Marianne's blog. After you color the stamp, set it aside. Then, use your blender to completely soak the paper you plan to stamp your image. Once it's soaked, stamp your image. No need to 'huff' or anything. The blending alcohol pulls the ink off of the stamp beautifully.

There's an example on my blog. Hope that helps you!!

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 06:14 AM   #626  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

You can color directly onto your stamp but you need to "reactivate" it with something compatible, such as the blending solution or rubbing alcohol. You can spritz it on before stamping, similar to how you would if you were coloring onto your stamp with watercolor crayons and misting with water before stamping.

I'll try to get this up on my blog today after running to the store, Teresa.
It would be fun to show the difference, since I had another reader ask about spritzing techniques, using my Ranger spritzers.

I think another way is to take your blender pen and running it across your paper first and soaking it before stamping on it with the stamp you inked up with your Copics.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 06:16 AM   #627  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShellView Post
I did it after seeing a post on Marianne's blog. After you color the stamp, set it aside. Then, use your blender to completely soak the paper you plan to stamp your image. Once it's soaked, stamp your image. No need to 'huff' or anything. The blending alcohol pulls the ink off of the stamp beautifully.

There's an example on my blog. Hope that helps you!!

Whoopsie! Sorry, Shell! I didn't see this as I was posting and trying to get my son ready for school at the same time! Off to check out your blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 06:43 AM   #628  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtlescrapperView Post
can you use the airbrush system w/ ciao?
Some padding has to be added to adapt it to the airbrush. Sorry I can't recall who had a picture of this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #629  
Gabfest Goddess

She makes blending seem so easy, I love watching her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #630  
Gabfest Goddess

So that works out to $2.62 per marker...sounds good and they are in stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #631  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by furaView Post
Cher...you just broke my heart. LOL I just bought my airbrush system and am waiting for it to arrive. I hate it when I find great deals AFTER I've placed my order.
Sorry!!

I shop forever thinking I found the best deal and then I always hear of stuff later too! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #632  
Polyshrink Goddess

Cher, I just got my airbrushing kit in the mail. I LOVE IT!!! Here's the very fist sample I did, but I'm still trying to adjust the air pressure. I definitely need a lot of practice. Also, I got my QK magpie storage unit for my Copics but the corner is smashed =/ I have to get it replaced. More waiting...
Attached Thumbnails
Copic Chatter-airbrushing-kit-00000.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #633  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamperView Post
Some padding has to be added to adapt it to the airbrush. Sorry I can't recall who had a picture of this.
Thanks, any help is appreciated as I am new to all of this!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #634  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here's a video of it (I think this is what you're asking about). She will discuss the "foamies" at about the 3 minute mark of the video to add a cushion for your Ciao marker. You can also see Sherrie's video tutorial on her blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #635  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by furaView Post
Here's a video of it (I think this is what you're asking about). She will discuss the "foamies" at about the 3 minute mark of the video to add a cushion for your Ciao marker. You can also see Sherrie's video tutorial on her blog.
That is a great video, thanks so much! An airbrush system is on my wishlist for sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #636  
Crimping Master

I haven't read through this whole thread (it's almost midnight, and I should be in bed) and I am sorry if this has already been asked.

I have been using Bic Mark its and Sharpies and am loving alcohol markers but the color selection is limited, so tonight I bought my first 2 copic sketch markers at HL (they were 30% off) in colors that I can't get in the other brands. My question is, the brush tip looks very similar to the SU markers that I have, is it as fragile? That is one of my biggest complaints with the SU markers, the nibs just don't last very long. I know the copics are replaceable, I just want to know how careful I need to be with them.

I am planning to get more to fill the color holes, but I will get them a couple at a time because that is all the budget will allow right now.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #637  
Stampin' Fool

Hi Pamela... the Copic brush tip is not fragile. Actually, you are supposed to color with the side of the brush and not just the tip.

Just take care to "clean" the tips off swiping it back and forth on a piece of scratch paper to take off any stains and NOT by pulling on it (this will cause the nib to become detached).

Last edited by whoopsie daisy; 02-03-2009 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: choice of words
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #638  
Crimping Master

Thanks for the info, good to know. Why can't SU make their markers that way?

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #639  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly ChickView Post
Thanks for the info, good to know. Why can't SU make their markers that way?

Pamela
I feel your pain! Probably the answer is $$$$$$. IF they make them better, we will never need to buy another one. Sorry to sound cynical, I have TONS of SU! stuff. but I am starting to think they are becoming just too expensive what with 2 catalos, supplements, price increases, etc. What a shame!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 AM   #640  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Teresa, I posted "Coloring with Copics on your rubber stamp" on my blog.
Let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote Likes