Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #361  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stampinsweeney ~ nice Riley card!! How cute - I always thing "chocolate moose/mousse" when I see him .

For those of you interested in seeing something really cool done with Copics - check out shulsart's gallery (Sandy Hulsart). Her scenes are amazing! I especially love the realistic-looking scenes with 'characters' (like House Mouse) in them. I'd love to do that some day. I think she's really inspiring!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #362  
Matboard Maniac

Default Color Heaven

I just went to Blick Art Supply in Schaumburg, IL and they have all the copics there. I made a color chart. For anyone in the area, they are 20% off tomorrow night after 5PM. I think I will still order them from oozak, but it was great to have actual samples on paper so I can decide which ones I truly want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #363  
Matboard Maniac

Default Red Copic Question

Hi gals,
When I went to Blick today and made my color chart, there didn't seem to be a color that was a bright fire engine/Christmas red.

What are your favorite color combos to achieve this?

I'm thinking like the Real Red from Stamping up.

My chart I colored in the store looks more pinkish red.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #364  
Total Quack

Julie - my list says that R46 (Strong Red) matches Real Red in SU colors.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #365  
Rubber Obsessor

I use R27...

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoolieView Post
Hi gals,
When I went to Blick today and made my color chart, there didn't seem to be a color that was a bright fire engine/Christmas red.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #366  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I just went to Blick Art Supply in Schaumburg, IL and they have all the copics there. I made a color chart. For anyone in the area, they are 20% off tomorrow night after 5PM. I think I will still order them from oozak, but it was great to have actual samples on paper so I can decide which ones I truly want.
Is this true of all the Blick stores? If so, how long is the sale for, is it only the one night? I'm near the one in Boston and it's where I get all of my markers. With 10% off all the time it's ok - but when they run 20% off they are pretty darn close to the online prices. I like the fact that they have every single color and you can touch and feel.

My new BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #367  
Matboard Maniac

Default I don't know

I don't know. It was a flier taped to the door of my Blick. You'd have to call your store. Ours called it "madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #368  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin NinjaView Post
Great job on your 1st Copic card StampinSweeney! You did awesome! I love the Moose - too cute! That was a really smart idea to buy the Copics from Hanna Stamps with coordinating colors already selected for you...

Thanks for sharing your card! I've yet to complete a successful Copic work of art but you can bet when I do that I'll post a link here!
Thanks for the sweet comment. I have only had one comment posted, not complaining -- just my insecurity, but it was from Kristi Ferro who owns Hanna Stamps. It was also featured on her blog. Not a super duper card like most here, but it put a big grin on my face.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #369  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Stampinsweeney ~ nice Riley card!! How cute - I always thing "chocolate moose/mousse" when I see him .

For those of you interested in seeing something really cool done with Copics - check out shulsart's gallery (Sandy Hulsart). Her scenes are amazing! I especially love the realistic-looking scenes with 'characters' (like House Mouse) in them. I'd love to do that some day. I think she's really inspiring!
Thanks for the comment, Nancy. My mouth is watering at the mention of mousse...especially chocolate.

What a great link! TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #370  
Rubber Obsessor

Default blick sale

They did it last Tuesday and are doing it this Tuesday again. You do not need a coupon (at least, according to the Chicago Loop Dick Blick), everything that's not on sale is 20% off. I have a flier from them to this effect as well. From talking to the salepeople there, I got the sense that they will be doing this periodically. It's worth it if you are there already (or want to call) to ask them if they are having any upcoming promotions. My person said it's a "friends and family" kind of thing where they hand out the flyer, as opposed to a big promotion. I made a comment about liking coupons when I was checking out (was using one they sent me) and they gave me the flyer, so now I know to ask about promotions, since I don't think I would have gotten it otherwise.

Cynthia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #371  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Hi all!
I'm so glad I found this thread last night.
I DO love the I Like Marker Blog. Definitely read it if you are getting the markers. Another blog I totally love is called Kiyomikrafts
http://www.kiyomikrafts.com/
She uses copics with her stamping all the time and shows which markers she used. I spent a good hour last night just going through her blog again and writing down a lot of the color combos she uses over and over again. I think I came up with a good 15 markers that I might use to jumpstart my own collection. Plus her stuff is super cute.

Can't wait to buy more. I only have 3 now and you can't do much with that!
Thanks for the site. It was so helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #372  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
I've only just discovered this thread and started reading some of the entries. I'm a little curious if almost everyone uses only one technique with their Copics. You know, the very methodical shading and blending. It's fun and I love how it turns out, but I've also started to use mine in a looser style. Because of the vibrant yet transparent quality of the Copics, you can achieve more of a watercolor effect. Just thought I'd put that "out there" .

I've attached a couple of examples so you know what I mean. I'd love to see if others are doing this, too!!

[And sorry in advance if it's already been covered ~ like I said, I just found this thread and have to run so can't read the whole thing right now.]
I actually did that to some cupcake images I had. Haven't made a card with them, but I liked it because they did look watercolored. Yours are great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #373  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusieQ4417View Post
I actually did that to some cupcake images I had. Haven't made a card with them, but I liked it because they did look watercolored. Yours are great!
Thank you! When you make a card I hope you upload it and link it here so we can see !! It's fun isn't it?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #374  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty14View Post
I use Papertrey white card stock and Memento Tuxedo Black ink.

A great tip I got from someone here (sorry I can't remember who) was to use Versafine Onyx Black ink and detail CLEAR EP to help from going outside the lines when coloring. It works very well and it looks really pretty!

** For some reason (I do not know why), it is the metallic EP that causes problems but not the CLEAR!

I am storing mine HORIZONTALLY because I read here that someone is having a problem with one end drying out. I am not taking any chances. These "babies" are just too expensive to fool around with! LOL!

www.oozak.com has GOT to be the ABSOLUTE BEST source for purchasing Copics. They have the cheapest prices I have found, the shipping is so fast that is amazing! They so very nice to deal with. My computer would not allow me to check out on the site ( even the guy from oozak did not know why and he talked me throught the steps and it still didn't work!), so he took my order over the phone. He told me it would ship that same day and it got to my home in 1 day! They are in Michigan and I am in NJ!

*True, I know they sell out FAST with many colors but if you can get them, they are worth buying at Oozak.

*** PLUS, FREE shipping with a $50 order!!
Interesting the copic web site that the way the pen is made keeps them sealed so it doesnt matter which way they are stored
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #375  
Matboard Maniac

Default No problem.

No problem isn't that blog so cute! She makes cute cards for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #376  
Inking Addict

I was hoping to ask a Q here vs. making it a different post, so if this gets a "stickie" it will be in one place. I have loved my Copics. Just started with them around Christmas and while I'll never be some awesome artist like many of you, my friends love what I'm doing. I however am still frustrated with (esp) my blending. I keep reading Marianne's blog and watching You Tube videos. They help a ton. I know I just need to practice.

Sooo my Q is: What is your BEST Copic Coloring tip.. something you wished you'd learned from the get-go? In just watching some tutorials on youtube, I love the "touching a lighter marker to a slightly darker marker and running it across a transition line to help with blending".. I think I rely on my blender too much. And/or I blame my probs on not having the right colors yet to blend properly which is prob not accurate in that I have well over 100 markers with only a few places with major holes (RV, YG, Some T, E and F)... would love to hear your best suggestions for those of us just starting out!

OH, also just watched a tutorial on the airbrush system - wow.. looks easy and fun! How many of you use??

Leigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #377  
Polyshrink Goddess

First of all, I had to go through the tedious task of marking my empty color chart with all the colors. It helps me out A LOT. I put a page protector over my chart and use it everyday to decide what colors to use. When I first used the blender pen, I think I was so excited about the technique that I used it too much. I love blending colors the most by laying down the lighter color, then the darker color and going over the darker area with the lighter marker to "blend them together. Usually it's the face of a character or animal. Lifting the darker color from the nib is probably the easiest way for me to do this & I also use the Ranger craft mat (non-stick) as my palette. I keep it right next to me when I color.

The one coloring tip or technique rather that I wish I knew about early on was the "watercolor effect." I went out and got a mini mister from ranger and lightly spray my cs right before I stamp down my image that is colored with Copics. It's always a crisp and perfect image. It shocked me to see how easy & fun this technique is to do. I'll attach a sample.
Attached Thumbnails
Copic Chatter-img_4079.jpg   Copic Chatter-img_4078-cropped.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #378  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by furaView Post
First of all, I had to go through the tedious task of marking my empty color chart with all the colors. It helps me out A LOT. I put a page protector over my chart and use it everyday to decide what colors to use. When I first used the blender pen, I think I was so excited about the technique that I used it too much. I love blending colors the most by laying down the lighter color, then the darker color and going over the darker area with the lighter marker to "blend them together. Usually it's the face of a character or animal. Lifting the darker color from the nib is probably the easiest way for me to do this & I also use the Ranger craft mat (non-stick) as my palette. I keep it right next to me when I color.

The one coloring tip or technique rather that I wish I knew about early on was the "watercolor effect." I went out and got a mini mister from ranger and lightly spray my cs right before I stamp down my image that is colored with Copics. It's always a crisp and perfect image. It shocked me to see how easy & fun this technique is to do. I'll attach a sample.
Could you please scan or take a pic of your colour chart? It would help me out a lot in choosing colours. As I have noticed that they are quite different to the colour shown on the computer
Thanks Heaps
Lauren xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #379  
Matboard Maniac

Lauren,

Here is a chart I made and use. I printed it on the paper I use primarily for coloring with copics that way you see the true color. Hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: xls COPIC CHART.xls (41.0 KB, 99 views)

My new BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #380  
Insane Embellisher

My colorless blender is already dry and I ordered it AFTER christmas. I've only colored about 20 images and used it for the mistakes on those images. Is this normal?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #381  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by LolliesView Post
Could you please scan or take a pic of your colour chart? It would help me out a lot in choosing colours. As I have noticed that they are quite different to the colour shown on the computer
Thanks Heaps
Lauren xx
I don't think it can help you much for reasons you've mentioned, but I've scanned the chart anyway for you to see. Because it's scanned, the colors will lose the brightness and the fluorescent colors (FRV1, FYR1, FY1, &FYG1) aren't even showing up. FV2 is more purple than blue. Just keep in mind that the actual colors are a bit brighter. If you have a Hobby Lobby near you (I don't here) you can ask if you can try out the colors and take an empty chart with you to mark it. I don't know if they'll let you do that before purchase, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. If you need to see the marker #s, pm me your email address and I can send you the file. There's a max size to attachments here and you won't be able to see it as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Copic Chatter-copic-color-chart.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #382  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusieQ4417View Post
My colorless blender is already dry and I ordered it AFTER christmas. I've only colored about 20 images and used it for the mistakes on those images. Is this normal?
That doesn't sound normal because I've used my colorless blender a ton and it's still working great. I would email Marianne and ask her for some advise. You should buy a bottle of the colorless blender refill anyway to keep on hand and for misting if you plan on doing the watercolor technique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #383  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I don't think it can help you much for reasons you've mentioned, but I've scanned the chart anyway for you to see. Because it's scanned, the colors will lose the brightness and the fluorescent colors (FRV1, FYR1, FY1, &FYG1) aren't even showing up. FV2 is more purple than blue. Just keep in mind that the actual colors are a bit brighter. If you have a Hobby Lobby near you (I don't here) you can ask if you can try out the colors and take an empty chart with you to mark it. I don't know if they'll let you do that before purchase, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. If you need to see the marker #s, pm me your email address and I can send you the file. There's a max size to attachments here and you won't be able to see it as well.
Thank You! xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #384  
Crimping Master

I need to go through and read everyone's responses but in the mean time..can you tell me what the difference is between Copic and Ciao? I looked at oozark's website at the colors and I wasn't sure.

I'm clueless about Copics, other then I've used them a couple of times and LOVE them and want to get some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #385  
Polyshrink Goddess

The copic Ciao markers are not refillable like the sketch markers, hence the difference in price. I buy the sketch markers because I only color with Copics right now and use them everyday. They last a long time, but I know I'll want to refil them when I'm out of ink instead of buying more markers. It would be up to you to decide what's best for you. If you want more info on Copics, I suggest you visit Marianne's blog. She is a product specialist for them. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, that's the first post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #386  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

The copic Ciao markers are not refillable like the sketch markers, hence the difference in price. I buy the sketch markers because I only color with Copics right now and use them everyday. They last a long time, but I know I'll want to refil them when I'm out of ink instead of buying more markers. It would be up to you to decide what's best for you. If you want more info on Copics, I suggest you visit Marianne's blog. She is a product specialist for them. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, that's the first post.
Ciao markers are refillable. All Copic markers use the same ink, and can be refilled over and over.

| Copic Certified Designer | ~ My Blog -CopicArt.com~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #387  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was under the impression that they were not refillable: off the toosan.wordpress.com site. "They don’t really sell Copic Sketch Markers, but Copic Ciao instead. it’s the same effect, the only difference is, you can’t refill them"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #388  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for clarifying that, Gale. I thought I was losing my mind. I didn't know they are now refillable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 02:10 AM   #389  
Matboard Maniac

Side question---is there a way I can mark some of these posts-so I can find them again?? There is so much great info-just hard to find again! TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 05:57 AM   #390  
Inking Addict

You could probably bookmark it, but hopefully it will be made into a Sticky

Leigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 06:09 AM   #391  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Thanks these are great tips. From reading this thread from way back, I printed out the color chart from the Copic site and have been filling it in each time I get more colors. VERY helpful. Marianne recommends a sketch book too altho I havent gotten that far yet.

Q for you on Watercolor effect. So you spray your CS *before* you stamp your image and color. Doesnt it dry out before you're done coloring your image or do you really soak the paper (and then does your stamped image ever bleed if you spray before you stamp?) I love the look of this. Will def have to try. Thanks again

Leigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 07:19 AM   #392  
Mad Swapper

I'm so glad to find this thread and can't wait to read through it! I finally submitted to the the copic craze and bought my first 10 plus blender on Monday. Since then I've already ordered about 10 more and a case because I can see my collection is going to grow by leaps and bounds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #393  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazedView Post
Thanks these are great tips. From reading this thread from way back, I printed out the color chart from the Copic site and have been filling it in each time I get more colors. VERY helpful. Marianne recommends a sketch book too altho I havent gotten that far yet.

Q for you on Watercolor effect. So you spray your CS *before* you stamp your image and color. Doesnt it dry out before you're done coloring your image or do you really soak the paper (and then does your stamped image ever bleed if you spray before you stamp?) I love the look of this. Will def have to try. Thanks again

Leigh
No, I color my stamp first. It's ok that the alcohol dries while you're coloring. Just make sure that the image is covered with Copic ink. I try to be precise with the position of my image on the cs, so sometimes I make pencil marks around the stamp block (corners) before I start coloring to help guide me when I'm ready to lay down the colored stamp. I spray the cs right before I stamp it with the colored stamp. The alcohol will pull the colors off your stamp even if the ink is dry. Besides the colorless blending solution refill, I've also used the Tim Holtz Adirondack alcohol blending solution and it works great too. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #394  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleStamperView Post
I'm so glad to find this thread and can't wait to read through it! I finally submitted to the the copic craze and bought my first 10 plus blender on Monday. Since then I've already ordered about 10 more and a case because I can see my collection is going to grow by leaps and bounds.
Sarah, I'm so glad you're getting into Copics. Soon, you will want them all. It's a great addiction. Also...you're from my hometown!! That's so exciting for me to see because it's such a small town and people always blink at me when I say the name. It's like "where???" LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #395  
Polyshrink Goddess

I wanted to attach a sample of that watercolor technique used with a clear acrylic stamp (Inkadinkado "Fall Season"). It requires more time to make sure the coloring is even and details are in place because it is acrylic. If you want the image to be a bit more blurry like watercolor, then you can spray directly on the image before you stamp. Because the Copics are alcohol-based, just keep in mind that this may dry up your stamp. I haven't had any problems yet. I sprayed the cs first then I applied the colored stamp. I use it and then recondition it after I clean it off with the alcohol solution. I usually don't use the clear stamps with this technique, but I wanted to share what the results were like with the one I did use. The colors I used were E39 Leather, YR09 Chinese Orange, & YG67 Moss. I sponged the background with SU! Almost Amethyst.

The great thing about the ink being alcohol is that once it dries, you can go over it and make "streaks" to create details like shadows. I did this by making the marks on the tree trunk and the branch to create a little shadow.
Attached Thumbnails
Copic Chatter-copic-watercolor.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #396  
Crimping Master

I'm def. going to have to read all of the responses and the blog. The pic is beautiful. I can't wait to start buying the Copics.

Quote:

I wanted to attach a sample of that watercolor technique used with a clear acrylic stamp (Inkadinkado "Fall Season"). It requires more time to make sure the coloring is even and details are in place because it is acrylic. If you want the image to be a bit more blurry like watercolor, then you can spray directly on the image before you stamp. Because the Copics are alcohol-based, just keep in mind that this may dry up your stamp. I haven't had any problems yet. I sprayed the cs first then I applied the colored stamp. I use it and then recondition it after I clean it off with the alcohol solution. I usually don't use the clear stamps with this technique, but I wanted to share what the results were like with the one I did use. The colors I used were E39 Leather, YR09 Chinese Orange, & YG67 Moss. I sponged the background with SU! Almost Amethyst.

The great thing about the ink being alcohol is that once it dries, you can go over it and make "streaks" to create details like shadows. I did this by making the marks on the tree trunk and the branch to create a little shadow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #397  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Sarah, I'm so glad you're getting into Copics. Soon, you will want them all. It's a great addiction. Also...you're from my hometown!! That's so exciting for me to see because it's such a small town and people always blink at me when I say the name. It's like "where???" LOL
Yes! I always ask if they want me to spell it and when they are reading it to me over the phone I just cut them off and say it so they don't have to struggle with pronoucing Puyallup (Pew-al-up)

I'm just the opposite and grew up in Seattle and then moved here about 3 years ago. Now if I could sell my house I'd move back to Seattle but that would leave less funds for things like copics!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #398  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by gallcompView Post
The copic ink is alcohol based and will smear most printer's ink. Laser printer's output wont smear.

Before I got me a laser, the think I did to color images from my computer was to print them at the higest quality possible, and then make copies at my local kinkos (since the copier toner wont smear also).
Huh.... I print images all the time and have never had them smear (not a laser printer - a Brother with cheap replacement ink). I print on to cardstock and color away. Weird. Maybe it depends on the cardstock you use.

I use the cardstock I have in the store. Su's wisper white smears and bleeds on me all the time with printing and ink.

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #399  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Hi gals,

I like R-27 and R-29..... My favorite red combo is R-14 and R-27. (I also love R-59 for a dark red.)

Don't know if this helps, but here is a tutorial on a strawberry colored with R-14 and R-27. It might help you to see the colors - but you know how computers are.

http://papergardenprojects.com/blog/...ement-woo-hoo/

Here is a color chart of my favorite 30 - it has the red too so maybe the color will show there.

http://papergardenprojects.com/blog/...lor-picking-2/

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #400  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleStamperView Post
Yes! I always ask if they want me to spell it and when they are reading it to me over the phone I just cut them off and say it so they don't have to struggle with pronoucing Puyallup (Pew-al-up)

I'm just the opposite and grew up in Seattle and then moved here about 3 years ago. Now if I could sell my house I'd move back to Seattle but that would leave less funds for things like copics!
Oh, yeah...definitely Copics>House. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes