Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Smile Copic Airbrush--What Compressor do you use?

I want to get an air compressor to use with my Copic markers but am not sure what compressor to get. I would like to find one that isn't too expensive. If you have one tell me which one you use.
I need a fairly quiet one as hubby sleeps when I do most of my card making!!!
Thank you in advance for your replies.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I went with the ABS-1 system. Even though it is more expensive than the ABS-2 system, I think it will be cheaper in the long run. You can buy much larger cans of air for the ABS-1. The biggest can lasts about 40 minutes. The ABS-2 can only use one kind of air can and it only lasts 7-8 minutes. You can also hook the ABS-1 up to an air compressor if you have one.

Good luck. Whatever you pick, you'll love it!

My Gallery...

Dear Lord, Please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.
(One of my favorite sentiments from River City Rubber Works!)
Old 11-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I appreciate your response but I have the ABS1 and ABS2. I used 3/4 of a 180 air can yesterday. I am really looking for an air compressor.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

The recommended one by Copic is the Sparmax Air Compressor. I too want to get at least the system that can be adapted to the compressor. I figure I'll start there and see how much I use it. I so really don't want to store the compressor, but we'll see.

I love the effect on cs when the compressor is used with the markers.

HTH,
Ginger
Old 11-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I'm very interested in buying a compressor. I have the ABS1 and think that it would save money to have a compressor vs. buying cans of compressed air all the time. The Sparmax Air Compressor is about $200, so it really isn't very reasonable in price. The positive is that it comes with the hose that is needed. If there is anyone who has something different, I would also be interested in knowing what type it is. Sorry I can't help, but I'll be watching for someone who can!

Janet

Janet
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by emptynextstamperView Post
I appreciate your response but I have the ABS1 and ABS2. I used 3/4 of a 180 air can yesterday. I am really looking for an air compressor.
Sorry, I totally just skimmed your first post! I thought you were asking which ABS to get. I'm a dork . I should probably read a little more thoroughly before answering. Good luck...

My Gallery...

Old 11-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

By the way, what were you working on to use that much of the 180 air can? I thought it was supposed to last 40 minutes.

My Gallery...

Old 11-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I've been kinda hopin' I would find a used one; so I sure would like to know the necessary criteria ahead of time. Having a pressure gauge with the pressure within the necessary range (40-60 psi???, I think) was number one. Apparently the hose should be 1/8" or 1/4" as another size could be hard to find an adapter for. I think the Copic website had two brands/ models mentioned...but I'm not sure. I would like to hear your report once you get one.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Marianne discussed this on her blog this week. Scroll down to the Oct. 29 post.

http://www.ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/
Old 11-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I go to Marianne's blog all the time as I am a certified copic design class graduate. I think the criteria is if you pay and attend you get the certification( just kidding of course), but in 7 hours you are bound to pick up a lot of tips and techniques. It was an awesome class.

Marianne had the air compressor that Copic sells at the class and I am leaning towards that one. GinaK of GinaK Designs mentioned a link to Carpediem website: www.carpediemstore.com and they have the same compressor on sale with the hoses for 149.00. I am leaning towards that. That way I don't have to order any extra fittings to make the air hose compatible.

I have spent all week-end shopping for air compressors until I am brain dead. Michaels has a nice Badger Air compressor for 249.00 and with a 40 or 50 per cent coupon it would be better but it still doesn't match the fittings for the ABS systems from Copic so I would still have to order a fitting and hose so I think I will have about the same amount of money invested.

I will decide this week and order something because at 15.00 per air can I am spending too much for air.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:03 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I go to Marianne's blog all the time as I am a certified copic design class graduate. I think the criteria is if you pay and attend you get the certification( just kidding of course), but in 7 hours you are bound to pick up a lot of tips and techniques. It was an awesome class.

Marianne had the air compressor that Copic sells at the class and I am leaning towards that one. GinaK of GinaK Designs mentioned a link to Carpediem website: www.carpediemstore.com and they have the same compressor on sale with the hoses for 149.00. I am leaning towards that. That way I don't have to order any extra fittings to make the air hose compatible.

I have spent all week-end shopping for air compressors until I am brain dead. Michaels has a nice Badger Air compressor for 249.00 and with a 40 or 50 per cent coupon it would be better but it still doesn't match the fittings for the ABS systems from Copic so I would still have to order a fitting and hose so I think I will have about the same amount of money invested.

I will decide this week and order something because at 15.00 per air can I am spending too much for air.
I was just reading this thread thinking NO. No air compressor. Too much $$. Then I checked your blog. You have really beautiful things. Ugh. Maybe I'll ask Santa.......
Old 11-05-2008, 10:26 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

My hubby bought me this one: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00915312000P a couple months ago. It does have everything in it to make it work. We did have to do some tweaking. It works great and I got it on sale for 110. With the holidays coming up I am sure you can find something on sale. I will eventually get a new hose as the one it comes with isn't my favorite. For now it works fine and I don't have to spend any more on the cans of air. If anyone has any questions pm me and I would be happy to help. The blow gun is what we ended up using to hook up to. I just used velcro to hold the handle down so the air will come out all the time.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:20 PM   #13  
Inking Addict

My DH bought me my air compressor many years ago It a WR.Brown. It is totally rebuildable ,So if you evey have any problems it can be fixed. Most can't. He thinks he paid about 120 for it I have a couple of airbrushes that I use it with.I don't remember if it came with the hoses or if I already had them with my airbrushes. Only thing is ,It is pretty noisy. You may want to listen before you buy if that will be a problem. Mine has lasted for years ,its at least 10 yesrs old. So well worth the $. Before that I used to buy the canned air. Big waste of $.I think I could have bought 2 compressors by the time I figured it out. Good luck ,Hope this helps.
Lynn
Old 11-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Lesa or Lynn:

I am not having as big a problem deciding which air compressor but I can't seem to find or know which adapter to get for the compressor hose to fit the Copic Airbrush system hose. Do either of you know what part I need for that and where to get it? I would be your bestest friend forever
Old 11-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #15  
Inking Addict

Default compressor

Quote:

Lesa or Lynn:

I am not having as big a problem deciding which air compressor but I can't seem to find or know which adapter to get for the compressor hose to fit the Copic Airbrush system hose. Do either of you know what part I need for that and where to get it? I would be your bestest friend forever
My DH said to bring the two hoses to a hardware store like a grovers pay and pack.Not a Lowes or Home depot. someplace that carries fittings.They should be able to fit an adaptor into the hoses for you. My hubby said he probably has what you need in his shop he he . Hope this helps.
Lynn
Old 11-06-2008, 10:14 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

I will check out an Ace Hardware here over the week-end otherwise I see a roadtrip to Idaho in my future. Just kidding.

Thanks for the info this is what I have been waiting all week to hear.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:58 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

On the subject of the hose adapter, this is an extract from Marianne Walker's blog, I LIke Markers:

"The Copic Airbrush system runs on a standard European 1/8" fitting that is found on Iwata or Sparmax compressors. Whatever compressor you have needs to either match our fittings or you'll need to find a little adaptor bolt. For most brands of art compressors (Badger, Paasche, etc.) you can find a little adaptor bolt for less than $5 from the knowledgable people at Dixie Art . If you don't know your compressor brand or it's exact hose fitting size then it's much harder to find an adaptor (over the phone or e-mail I am not much help either, since there are too many brands out there). You would need to check with a hose fitting distributor (like an industrial refrigerator store) to find out what you need.

3. Correct hose- The hose that comes in an ABS-1 is for aircans ONLY. It will not work with a compressor. Make sure that you have a hose that will work with our system and your compressor. The Copic 1/8 to 1/8" hose is what we use for compressors, but make sure that you have a correct fitting for your compressor (step 2)."