Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Computer printer for HEAVY cardstock?? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/computer-printer-heavy-cardstock-467597/)

GarnetJ 11-10-2009 12:45 PM

Computer printer for HEAVY cardstock??

I really like the Neenah 80 pound cardstock for stamping and coloring. BUT, my computer printer ejects the pages and tells me "paper is out or not loaded properly." A nice young man at Office Max print center says that probably I can't purchase a printer to take heavy cardstock at any reasonable price.

SOOOoooo.... decided to ask my faithful friends and fellow stampers if any of you have a printer that works well with HEAVY cardstock.

(mine is an Epson C120)

GreenDragonLady 11-10-2009 01:24 PM

I don't have any of that brand, so I don't know how heavy it is, but SU is 80 pound, and it prints in mine just fine. It's a Canon top-loading.

Does yours load from the front? If it does that could be the problem...it doesn't like to make the "bend"

Paula in GA 11-10-2009 02:48 PM

I have an Epson and haven't ever had a problem. It's an R340, not terribly expensive. Actually, it was just a bit more than $100. I've had some pretty heavy cardstock that went through without a problem. Go into the Epson website, they have a trouble-shooting email, and ask them what the problem is.

cardsbynikki 11-10-2009 03:05 PM

I have an HP Deskjet D2350 (front loading). I'd like to upgrade at some point, but this one was about $60. The ink isn't very expensive for it ($20 for color, $13 for black) and the printing is a pretty decent quality. I print with my Gina K Pure Luxury 120 lb just fine, and it doesn't eat it or make marks on the back. I tried running my Gina K cardstock through my dad's printer, which is a much more expensive HP Photosmart that is an all-in-one, and it wouldn't take it. I finally got one sheet to feed, it put big black marks on the back and the printer just spit it out, didn't actually print.

MrHambo 11-10-2009 03:38 PM

Check your printer to see if it has a special loading place for cardstock, usually one sheet at a time. Also some printers have a special flap in the back to open so the paper doesn't have to try and curl during the printing process. Good luck!

Happy Heart 11-10-2009 03:46 PM

I use an HP psc 750 and it prints on PTI white CS with no problems.

GarnetJ 11-10-2009 03:51 PM

Thanks gals...

* Neenah paper is quite a bit heavier than SU even though the numbers read the same.

* My printer is top loading, cardstock does not go around a "bend"

* This printer doesn't have an adjustment for thickness like my old, old one did....

* ...and no separate slot for cardstock

* I will ask Epson if they have any suggestions.

* PaperZone gave me a sample of cardstock that works. It's just a bit lighter weight even though the numbers read the same.

*suzanne* 11-10-2009 05:40 PM

I have the Epson Artisan 700 and I love it. I just need to change the printer setting for thick paper, and the PTI paper goes through without any trouble. :)

Yvette.S 11-10-2009 05:42 PM

Epson, I've even printed on 140lb watercolor paper with my R1800

kphorse 11-10-2009 05:49 PM

I have the HP 6310 and have run heavy cardstock and watercolor paper through it with no problems? It does have photo quality ink and it does cost more, but i have always had good luck with HP products...

Gina K. Designs 11-10-2009 06:53 PM

I use a Canon Pixma printer and even our GKD Pure luxury 120lb. goes through it!

sarahjean 11-10-2009 06:57 PM

HP 1200 series all in one. LOVE IT!

Will even print on 150#

YorkieMoma 11-10-2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. Designs (Post 15527256)
I use a Canon Pixma printer and even our GKD Pure luxury 120lb. goes through it!

I agree with Gina....I have a Canon PIXMA as well as two Epsons and not problems with either one and thick cardstock!!! I particularly love my PIXMA for printing graphics and my Epson for more for photos!!!

I also use Gina K Pure Luxury and love it!!!

Pam

GarnetJ 11-10-2009 09:07 PM

WoW! Lots more choices. I am making a list and checking it twice... oops... that's Santa's line. Anyway, I will check all these printer suggestions online to see what's available and where.

P.S. The reason I bought the C120 a couple of years ago was that all the reviews said it was "blazingly fast." True. But things change in a couple of years.

Evalou 11-10-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJ (Post 15527835)
WoW! Lots more choices. I am making a list and checking it twice... oops... that's Santa's line. Anyway, I will check all these printer suggestions online to see what's available and where.

P.S. The reason I bought the C120 a couple of years ago was that all the reviews said it was "blazingly fast." True. But things change in a couple of years.

GreenDragonLady and I agree, the canon is the greatest for heavy cardstock.

When I got a new computer, my really expensive printer was not compatible, and I needed a printer in a hurry. My son and my supervisor at work both recommended the Canon. I went online and I purchased the PIXMA IP4300 (this was 3 years ago now) for $69 and free shipping.
It has literally been the best printer I have ever ha
d, it just keep going and going and boy, I do a heavy amount of printing. The feature that is the best for me is that it loads from two places......
on the bottom and from the top. Put the heavy cardstock on the top, flick a switch to tell it to print from the top and it feeds through like butter.

French Chablis 11-10-2009 10:47 PM

I also have a Canon Pixma iP4500 printer which I know was cheap and it works brilliantly on whatever I put in it. I use a French brand of card and don't know the weight but I do know it is considerably heavier than the SU stuff and goes through easily. I do however load it into the sheet feeder on the top, just a few sheets at a time. I haven't tried it in the tray sheet feeder.

michellesscrap 11-10-2009 10:57 PM

I have a cheap Epson of some sort, got it for 60.00 on their website, and it takes heavy cardstock as well. But boy does it drink the ink up.

Gina K. Designs 11-11-2009 05:27 AM

My pixma has 5 cartridges- Yellow, Cyan, Magenta, black and black pigment. It's great because you don't have to throw away all your blue ink just because you've used up all of your yellow. Very economical. And, we have a link on our shopping page at StampTV, (We don't sell toner at Gina K. Designs,) but this place sells the cartridges for $5.99 each when you buy three and they have free shipping on all orders. That's a steal. So, I stock up and print all my digital paper for pennies.

The pigment ink cartridge helps a lot when working with copics. When you print in black and white, it chooses that cartridge. LOVE IT!

bobkitten 11-11-2009 07:05 AM

Garnet, just want to let you know that you are not alone in your dissatisfaction with the Epson C120. I have the same printer and mine cannot even handle SU!'s whisper white! :mad: I'm taking notes from this thread so I'll know what to buy next time. Thanks, stampers, for all your input. :)

RiverIsis 11-11-2009 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. Designs (Post 15528667)
My pixma has 5 cartridges- Yellow, Cyan, Magenta, black and black pigment. It's great because you don't have to throw away all your blue ink just because you've used up all of your yellow. Very economical. And, we have a link on our shopping page at StampTV, (We don't sell toner at Gina K. Designs,) but this place sells the cartridges for $5.99 each when you buy three and they have free shipping on all orders. That's a steal. So, I stock up and print all my digital paper for pennies.

The pigment ink cartridge helps a lot when working with copics. When you print in black and white, it chooses that cartridge. LOVE IT!

Thanks for the heads up on the ink - I ALWAYS run out over the holidays :mrgreen:

As per the OP - there is a thread about a 12 x 12 printer at reasonable prices if that is something you may have considered but it was prohibitable in the past.

We have an HP Photosmart 3210 and I love the individual cartridges it does cut back on you throwing out half full cartridges. There are little nuances that drive me crazy so I love reading about people's experiences with printers! :mrgreen:

MSBetsyZ 11-11-2009 08:22 AM

Help! Can't find the link on Gina's page...can anyone help?

YorkieMoma 11-11-2009 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ (Post 15529769)
Help! Can't find the link on Gina's page...can anyone help?

Betsy, go to this link and scroll down until you see the Canon ink cartridge box (about 1/3 down the page to the left)

Did that help?

Pam

askagain 11-11-2009 12:35 PM

I have the HP Laserjet CP1215. It's laser and prints great for copics.... there are 4 toners (around $70 each but they last forever -- print about 1,400 pages each!). I've seen them recently for $150. I've printed on everything up to Gina K and never had a problem. I'd highly recommend if you're looking for a color laser.

marthur 11-21-2009 02:42 PM

I'm reading this now because I have justed tried to print Papertrey Ink cardstock on my HP C4280 all in one printer and couldn't get it to work. I never tried it before. Looks like a new printer is in my future. I like the sound of the Canon Pixma.