Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   composition notebook help (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/composition-notebook-help-461042/)

stampergumby 09-27-2009 07:11 PM

composition notebook help

Making my first altered composition notebook and I have a few questions. What do you use to adhere your paper to the book? Spray adhesive was suggested to me, but I made a mess. Any suggestions?
Also, (search feature isn't working on forums or galleries for me right now) has anyone seen or made an altered book to look like a tool box or briefcase? I'm making purse ones (with beads or ribbon for the purse "handles") and I thought it would be cute to make boy ones look like tool boxes or briefcases with rope or chains for handles. Thanks for your help!

LMcAree 09-27-2009 07:51 PM

I use Modge Podge when I alter notebooks. Sorry I haven't seen the toolbox or briefcase's, sounds cut though!! :)

row4d 09-27-2009 07:56 PM

I use spray adhesive! :) It is just a little bit messy, but in my experience just about any "wet" adhesive makes some degree of mess when covering journals, etc. with it. If you spread out some newspaper to handle the overspray and use short strokes, releasing the button at the end of each pass, then usually there's very little mess with the spray and you don't have to worry about oozing or bubbles that can often happen with Mod Podge if you're not careful. Good luck to you! :mrgreen:

stampergumby 09-27-2009 08:05 PM

row4D: When you are using the spray adhesive, do you cover the first page of the book? I had to tear out pages in the book because they were all sticky. Also, I bought "super 77" spray adhesive. Did I go overboard? What brand do you use?

pammers 09-27-2009 08:17 PM

I used the red liner tape to do mine. I bought it the most reasonably priced at Walmart.

Jamie Stamps 09-28-2009 01:31 AM

My Xyron! No mess and the paper isn't going anywhere. I used to use Mod Podge, before the Xyron, but I always seemed to make a mess of the paper.

KristaTracy 09-28-2009 03:32 AM

I've used rubber cement in the past, and that works well. Now that I use Mono Multi (glue with green cap) exclusively for my cards, if I made another notebook, I would give this a try.

Scrapjanny 09-28-2009 03:35 AM

I use a glue stick, and I've never had a problem with anything coming apart. Mod Podge and I have parted ways. It remains sticky if I use it as a sealer, and it bubbles and warps if I use it as an adhesive.

jennyleigh 09-28-2009 04:00 AM

I follow this tutorial:

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...ht=composition

And I use my ATG for adhesive. Has worked well for me.

Crafts 09-28-2009 06:47 AM

Subscribing. I picked up a couple of the mini composition books at WalMart, 4.5 x 3.25". They are so cute that size, but I haven't covered them yet.

Tracy-Stamper 09-28-2009 06:50 AM

This is a great thread. I'm always scared of stuff like Mod Podge and spray adhesives. I do wish I had a large Xyron.

row4d 09-28-2009 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampergumby (Post 15219632)
row4D: When you are using the spray adhesive, do you cover the first page of the book? I had to tear out pages in the book because they were all sticky. Also, I bought "super 77" spray adhesive. Did I go overboard? What brand do you use?

I don't spray the book, I spray the back of the DSP! ;)

The brand doesn't make a huge difference, IMO. With thick, heavy paper like SU! colored card stock I sometimes have to put a THIN line of Tombow Multi on the flap that I fold over the edge to really hold it down, but that's about it because the liner sheet I put inside does a good job of holding the paper down as well.

basketostamps 09-28-2009 08:24 AM

I use double sided Scotch tape making sure to get all the edges and I haven't had any problem at all.

Scrapjanny 09-28-2009 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketostamps (Post 15222019)
I use double sided Scotch tape making sure to get all the edges and I haven't had any problem at all.

Yes, I agree. Sometimes I use that too.

Card Shark 09-28-2009 09:44 AM

I use my ATG and it holds really well. Especially with DSP - you can't get that stuff off of there!

djuseless 09-29-2009 10:35 AM

I have used Scor-Tape and I have put it on the notebook and layed the DP on top of it!

MikiBee 09-29-2009 11:16 AM

Another vote for the Xyron. This is exactly why I bought my big Xyron in the first place.. to make altering items like this a breeze..

creatingisfun 09-29-2009 11:21 AM

I use my ATG

SheilaKyles 09-29-2009 11:38 AM

Red Line Tape! Use it all the time and have never had a problem. I'm actually making 6 of these tomorrow for my daughter's birthday party (instead of a bunch of candy or $ store "stuff", I'm making personalized journals)

missiowa81 09-29-2009 11:47 AM

I've used the Terrifically Tacky Tape (same as red line mentioned above?).

The composition books I bought had rounded corners, so I did not wrap my DP around the edges. I just cut it to fit the cover and trimmed any stray edges. Then I lined the inside of the covers with a coordinating DP.

SoSherry 09-29-2009 12:46 PM

I use my ATG also. It sticks permanently and I make sure I do right along the very edge so there are no edges popping up to get bent.

KammieJ 09-29-2009 01:33 PM

Mini Composition Notebooks

Does any one have a recipe for a Mini Composition notebooks.

I would really appreciate this!!!!

Thank you,

Shirley

[email protected]

Amber@Just4U 09-29-2009 05:56 PM

Does anyone know the best place to buy the mini ones? I need quite a few for a church project.

I have made them in years past, and use double sided sticky tape, but think my ATG gun would be way easier :)

polargirl 10-01-2009 07:37 PM

I use Perfect Paper Adhesive with DSP. I tear some of the DSP to create a collage like effect. I don't this adhesive would work well with cs.

SheilaKyles 10-02-2009 02:14 PM

OK, I have made 5 of these suckers (full size ones, not the minis) for my daughter's bday party tomorrow. I used red line tape for the first 2 then when I realized I was using so much tape, I switched to Mono Multi Glue. Guess what? It worked perfectly!

I just made sure to use my bone folder to press down the sides of paper before I glued them down, then used the bone folder again after I had them glued down. They look perfect! (I used both DSP and regular SU cardstock)

hookedoncrafts 10-07-2009 10:15 AM

I am now sold on using crystal effects as a fixative for this type of project. It dries quickly and does not buckle the paper. I used it the first time to create a cd case album and it worked great! And a little goes a long way!

RyansMom4Ever 10-07-2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djuseless (Post 15230345)
I have used Scor-Tape and I have put it on the notebook and layed the DP on top of it!

That's what I use also - I put it right on the edges so the DSP doesn't curl up and it works perfect! And Scor-Tape is alot less expensive than the Terrifically Tacky.

clewis111 10-07-2009 11:39 AM

I just finished 50 of them for a craft show this weekend. I use martha Stewart permanent glue. I love it! It's cheap, and not messy.

NavarreNana 10-07-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clewis111 (Post 15293609)
I just finished 50 of them for a craft show this weekend. I use martha Stewart permanent glue. I love it! It's cheap, and not messy.

Is this the same as her fabric glue?

clewis111 10-07-2009 11:45 AM

No, I buy it at Walmart, Micheals also carries it, but its with the scrapbooking things. It has a fine tip that the lids screws off.

CraftyJewel 10-07-2009 11:58 AM

I've used Mod Podge. it's the cheapest, with mid-to-heavy cardstock it's great, but with lighter weight paper sometimes it wrinkles. and sometimes it's messy.
then i got lazy and started using double sided tape (Creative Memories) and it seems to work just as well, plus it's more reliable at the edges. On smaller things I use my Xyron.

rollyfan 10-07-2009 01:39 PM

Subscribing... this project could be good for a kid's group @ church.

Queenie 10-07-2009 02:44 PM

I

julia_s 10-07-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KammieJ (Post 15231544)
Does any one have a recipe for a Mini Composition notebooks.

I would really appreciate this!!!!

Thank you,

Shirley

[email protected]

I showed how to alter these on my blog. You may have to go to the 2nd page.

Turkey1969 10-07-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber@Just4U (Post 15233425)
Does anyone know the best place to buy the mini ones? I need quite a few for a church project.

I have made them in years past, and use double sided sticky tape, but think my ATG gun would be way easier :)

Do you have a Family Dollar store near you? I have purchased them at Family Dollar for 3/$1. I've found better quality for more $ elsewhere, but once you cover them, who knows but you??

dawndreger 10-07-2009 06:07 PM

I use Aleene's original craft glue

polargirl 10-07-2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julia_s (Post 15295042)
I showed how to alter these on my blog. You may have to go to the 2nd page.

Thanks for the great tutorial. Poppy Paperie also has a great tutorial here. You have scroll down the page a little bit.

smriti 10-08-2009 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber@Just4U (Post 15233425)

I bought them from Staples today, 2/$1.

polargirl 10-09-2009 05:45 PM

I'm having a terrible time finding these mini composition books. I found some at Office Max with a thin cover but they were $1.74 each with tax and the covers were thin. I've tried Office Depot, Walmart, Target and I called Staples and they said that they didn't have any. I looked on-line too. Can anyone tell me if the mini one have the hard board type cover like the larger ones? I've covered the larger ones.

julia_s 10-10-2009 06:04 AM

I have found them at Big Lots before.