Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Which Coloring Tools Do You Own? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/coloring-tools-do-you-own-305794/)

Joan B 12-05-2007 04:12 PM

Which Coloring Tools Do You Own?

Please vote for all you have! Just curious!

Dyu 12-05-2007 04:17 PM

Wow, I have alot of stuff :rolleyes:
I guess I "need" the Copic markers next :mrgreen:

laurakj 12-05-2007 04:19 PM

You forgot ink pads and/or ink refills :)

I have all except the Peerless Watercolor Papers and the plain watercolors LOL.

KathiR 12-05-2007 04:22 PM

Yikes. I have a lot of stuff.

I added "Other" because I use chalk pencils, alcohol inks, Perfect Pearls, and occasionally break out the Radiant Pearls.

bwstamper 12-05-2007 04:44 PM

In addition to all of your choices except the peerless paper, I have ink pads, reinkers and pearl-x. I use the ink pads and reinkers a lot.

Kiko 12-05-2007 05:06 PM

Wow... I checked off 5 things! WC crayons, SU Markers, Chalks, Copics, and Prismas. I really have too much stuff because I don't use these nearly often enough!

Joan B 12-05-2007 05:08 PM

You guys are right, I did forget the ink pads and reinkers. Duh. Yep, I have all of the above.

but, we deserve it, don't we??

momis mama 12-05-2007 05:56 PM

all i have are the SU! markers and some chalks.

i love these glitter pens i got from joann's too!

would love to have the watercolor crayons and maybe pencils... have been trying to decide what i would buy this month! hhhhmmm!

stampsforfun2 12-05-2007 06:12 PM

I have all that I checked plus many of the SU inkpads and reinkers. I use the ink pads the most.

SouthernStorm 12-05-2007 07:51 PM

Watercolor pencils, Prismacolor colored pencils, chalks, Dee Gruenig markers, all ultra fine Sharpie markers, Lumiere paint, Pearl-Ex, regular acrylic craft paint, ink pads & re-inkers, metallic paint pens.. I *think* thats all. :D
I want to try the Twinkling H2O's but they're expensive and I've put a hold on spending for a while. A lot of people here like the watercolor crayons, I think I'd like to play with them too. Since I have the wc pencils, I can't justify buying them.
Thanks for the poll, Joan. I so enjoy your posts.
May God bless, Sandi

stamptician 12-05-2007 09:33 PM

Something I recently discovered and love better than chalks is the NuPastel from prismacolors. They are sticks that look like chalk but are smoother and I use them with a blender pen to color in my stamped images. I wish there were more color options because so far at Michael's I have only found a set of 12. I also have pearl-ex and lumiere but, haven't really done anything with these. Love the watercolor crayons. Just invested in odorless mineral spirits yesterday so that I could try the "Gamsol Magic" with my prismacolor pencils. Wow, I'm hooked. Now I'm wondering what kind of effect you would get if you tried that with oil pastels. After hearing all the rage hear on SCS I'm thinking I need to try the COPIC markers. :mrgreen:

ndeelou 12-05-2007 10:07 PM

Pastel pencils, Oh we count those stick pastels as separate, well add in lumieres, ph martins, pearl ex and some other miscellaneous powders, and glaze pens! Plus the usual assortment of gel pens,

This is of course in ADDITION to the list (and the forgotten ink pads)

Maybe I should change my name to rainbow (or conspicuous consumer..)

Betsy

HoosierMama 12-06-2007 01:27 AM

I had to chuckle at the "plain" watercolor paints option. My watercolor paints are the most expensive coloring tool I own! I have Sennelier and they were expensive but so worth it.

dlm 12-06-2007 04:52 AM

I own SU! Watercolour crayons, SU! markers, SU! chalks, artist quality Windsor & Newton watercolour tubes, and Prismacolour pencils. Each have their own use for me. I like the fact that the SU! products match the paper as I'm one of *those* people who like things to match. My complaint about the crayons? They often yield "muddy" results. Perhaps I need more practise with the crayons.

jpmayo 12-06-2007 05:03 AM

Obviously too many cause I had forgotten about some until I read your poll...:rolleyes:

Besides; chalks, Copics, SU markers, SU watercolor pencils and WWC's, I use the SU pads and aquapainter a lot, too.

stamptician 12-06-2007 05:21 AM

Someone please tell me why I "need" Copic Markers. I really hate being out of the loop. LOL

scrappykat 12-06-2007 05:52 AM

I have most of what was listed, but what's really ironic is
I *never* color :oops: I really need to sell my SU H2O crayons!!!!

allamericanstampers 12-06-2007 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappykat (Post 7931232)
I have most of what was listed, but what's really ironic is
I *never* color :oops: I really need to sell my SU H2O crayons!!!!

You really should try and use these...coloring can't get any simpler and I find you get the best color when you go directly to paper. Be sure though to use a black ink like the Noir Palette ink so you won't be disappointed.

I have most of the coloring methods above and forgot to mark other for my Gel Pens. I love the look of that to accent here and there.

So far I have resisted the copics, although I have been dangerously close to hitting the buy button on several occasions! 8)

cbet 12-06-2007 08:23 AM

I also have oil pastels and water-soluble oil pastels, a bunch of Daler-Rowney Pearlescent Acrylic Inks, alcohol inks, soft artist pastels and pastel pencils (although those could qualify as chalks, I guess) and Sakura Glaze and Souffle pens (counting these because I use them more for coloring than writing)

And this, on top of the thread about overspending, is making me think I've really got to stop buying and start using what I already have.

NoraCH 12-06-2007 09:04 AM

You realize that taking this poll has made me 1) realize that alcohol based markers is the only category I couldn't check and 2) made me want to go buy some Coptic markers ASAP.

Seriously, a lot of my "real" art supplies came from the clearence sections of Michael's and Hobby Lobby dirt cheap-watercolor crayons, watercolor pencils, watercolor tubes and pans, acrylics, gel mediums, even an encaustic wax based paint once! United Art and Education always has big selection and coupons for online and store purchases too. Hey, if you're going to enable me, I'm returning the favor lol.

purpleflowers 12-06-2007 01:28 PM

Shoot, I should have checked "other" too. I also have radiant rain mists, spica glitter pens, souffle pens, pearl-ex, uhm.... there's probably more. I love anything to do with color.

purpleflowers 12-06-2007 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamptician (Post 7930930)
Someone please tell me why I "need" Copic Markers. I really hate being out of the loop. LOL

Shading and intense color without your paper pilling for starters. One new use I just read in another post was to color the clear dew drops to make any color dew drop you might imagine.

There's another thread in this forum about this too. You might want to check it out here.

BillieDee 12-06-2007 01:39 PM

Watercolor pencils
Plain ole ordinary colored markers
the fun painting point markers (I forget the name)
permanent markers ($12.50 for 38 at Sams Club)
ink pads
variety of acrylic paints
plain ole tubes of sparkles
large variety of embossing markers
large variety of embossing powders
(I think I have too much stuff!)

stamptician 12-06-2007 02:30 PM

Thanks for the link to that thread. I don't think I will like these.
Jenn

birdbrain 12-06-2007 06:54 PM

Wow, I must really be out of the loop, 'cause I don't even know what Peerless Watercolor Paper is:oops:. Can someone clue me in? I've got everything but that and the wc paints, plus some. I can see how a non-stamper might think that we were all over the top (or off the deep end) w/ our coloring tools.;)

BeeHks 12-06-2007 10:46 PM

Also...Pearl-Ex, all SU classic pads and markers ( except Basic Gray), Radiant Pearls, Chalk pads, Stazon, Sharpies, Gel Pens in glitter, metallic, fluorescent, Blow Pens, Galaxy Markers, Slick Writers and so on, and so on, and so on.....whew, I'm tired....

birdbrain 12-07-2007 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gale (Post 7939937)
Peerless watercolor paper is basically a book of paper and each page has a different color on it. You wet your brush and brush it over the paper and it picks up the color. It is pretty neat but I never even remember that I have it, much less use it. I split a book with a couple of other people-I cut all the pages into thirds. I stapled each of my thirds to cardstock and put them in a hanging file folder. I'll find a website for you.

here it is: http://www.creativemode.com/peerlesswatercolors.htm

Interesting...thanks for the link!

Skittl1321 12-07-2007 07:24 AM

I also have perfect pearls- which I didn't see a category for. I never use them though. I also have glaze and souffle pens, and color a lot with my stickles and loose glitter.

In order of use I checked:

Prismacolor pencils, watercolor crayons (non-su), chalks (non-su 2 different brands), water-based markers (su and tombow).

stamptician 12-07-2007 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 (Post 7942778)
I also have perfect pearls- which I didn't see a category for. I never use them though. I also have glaze and souffle pens, and color a lot with my stickles and loose glitter.

In order of use I checked:

Prismacolor pencils, watercolor crayons (non-su), chalks (non-su 2 different brands), water-based markers (su and tombow).

Could you please tell me what Stickles are and how to use them? I think I saw them in a TAC idea book but it doens't give much information.Jenn

Skittl1321 12-07-2007 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamptician (Post 7943646)
Could you please tell me what Stickles are and how to use them? I think I saw them in a TAC idea book but it doens't give much information.Jenn

Stickles are glitter glue. The only difference from them and cheap glitter glue is that the glitter is finer (unless you get "ice stickles" which are chunky) so it is easier to apply, and they are acid-free and scrapbook safe.

You can use them anywhere you want to apply glitter.

I color with glitter by coloring the back of a transparency that has a stamped image on it. Like this: http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=69416 This is a mixture of loose glitter (with clear glue) and stickles.

jeanstamping2 12-07-2007 02:15 PM

I have the following:

Watercolor Crayons

Watercolor Pencils Prismcolor

Tombow Markers

Twinkling H20

Prismcolor Pencils

What I used the most

Watercolor pencils and Tombow Markers.

I really need to dig out the other ones and play wtih them a big more.

jpe135 12-07-2007 02:52 PM

I also use glitter watercolor paints I found at 5 and below for a dollar...I liked them so much, I went back and bought 4 more in case I could'nt find them again.

curias 12-07-2007 03:09 PM

I have all of those, except the Special Watercolour paper. I also have re-inkers, daubers, glitter mists....too much, but wouldn't give any of it away!!!

stamptician 12-07-2007 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 (Post 7944024)
Stickles are glitter glue. The only difference from them and cheap glitter glue is that the glitter is finer (unless you get "ice stickles" which are chunky) so it is easier to apply, and they are acid-free and scrapbook safe.

You can use them anywhere you want to apply glitter.

I color with glitter by coloring the back of a transparency that has a stamped image on it. Like this: http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=69416 This is a mixture of loose glitter (with clear glue) and stickles.

Thanks for sharing the info and the artwork!
Jenn

Stampin' Adventurer 12-08-2007 11:26 AM

It's really sad how many of these I have considering the fact that I tend to buy images I don't have to color, but you never know when you might need a certain medium--right?!

Smiles,

stamptician 12-08-2007 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' Adventurer (Post 7955609)
It's really sad how many of these I have considering the fact that I tend to buy images I don't have to color, but you never know when you might need a certain medium--right?!

Smiles,

I know what you mean. I am hoping that with the release of the new catalogs from SU, CTMH, & TAC in January there will be more artistic images. I only like the bold art for scrap-booking. For cards I want to color and play.:p

scrown8301 12-08-2007 01:32 PM

I have Watercolor crayons, watercolor pencils, ink pads, refills, markers, chalks, and twinkling H2O's. I love watercoloring! :) And I use blender pens, watercolor brushes and aquapainters. :)

SweetMissDaisy 12-08-2007 06:16 PM

I checked them all, except for Peerless papers. Never used those...
And, I'll add reinkers and blender pens to the list too. ;)