Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Chalk Ink - I just don't get it... (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/chalk-ink-i-just-dont-get-36894/)

jdsgrl97 03-19-2005 09:18 PM

Chalk Ink - I just don't get it...

what's the big deal?? I went out to Archivers today and bought three cat's eyes - pink, blue, green - to try chalk ink out - it's pretty, but I don't get how it's different... can you help me understand?

I WANT to get it, I really do! :lol:

AmandaMay 03-19-2005 09:22 PM

LOVE IT! You get the deep, dark, bold colors like pigment ink without all the drying time, embossing, or heat setting. Check out some of the cards in the gallery that use them. You can def. tell!

iliveforjc 03-19-2005 09:30 PM

I love it! Try the crinkled chalks and drunken chalks techniques...awesome!!

row4d 03-19-2005 10:13 PM

Re: Chalk Ink - I just don't get it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsgrl97
what's the big deal?? I went out to Archivers today and bought three cat's eyes - pink, blue, green - to try chalk ink out - it's pretty, but I don't get how it's different... can you help me understand?

I WANT to get it, I really do! :lol:

For one thing, it dries just about as quickly as classic ink but is somewhat opaque like craft ink. I believe it is also archival.

AndreaSophie 03-19-2005 10:54 PM

I don't get it either :oops: I think I need to see it in person. maybe that would help me get it.

Tah Dah! 03-20-2005 12:46 AM

I love it for the opaque but quick drying coverage. The colors are luscious, and I like the petal point pads which work well for randomly dabbing on larger images - especially cool for collage type:
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...cat=500&page=1

kahoogstad 03-20-2005 03:28 AM

Heres a sample from my favourites by Kim Van De Riet

http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...ssword=&page=2

You can see the boldness of the colours as opposed to the classic pads.

stampysister 03-20-2005 07:59 AM

I'm not loving the fact that my chalk ink seems to "spread" on the page. So fine detail stamps seem to have less detail. Maybe I just got two bad cat eyes.

jm_donahoe 03-20-2005 08:07 AM

It really covers the stamp nicely and gives a bold stamped image. I am enjoying mine for paint prints and watercolor garden.

jm_donahoe 03-20-2005 08:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, I stamped a comparison for those interested in seeing the difference:
The top is the SU! chalk inks in Olive and Violet and the bottom is the SU! classic inks in Old Olive and Eggplant Envy:

mamakimberly 03-20-2005 09:38 AM

great example :) I love how soft and pretty the chalks are!!

grace 03-20-2005 09:56 AM

For me the chalks have more of a soft matt finish and an opaque quality so will cover the under surface better than die inks, but dry faster than craft ink.

nelsontrisha 03-20-2005 10:00 AM

chalk ink

I can't thank you enough for this post!!! I too was confused about the chalk ink. I purchased two of the color sets from SU and have yet to use them because I really didn't know how. I keep telling myself I need to learn so I can demo. them and sell more of them!!!
Great post with many great responses; that's why this site is SOOO WONDERFUL!!!
Trisha

I-Am-Serendipity 03-20-2005 10:09 AM

I asked this question on another thread, and no one answered, so I'm hoping one of you will. I know when I do the Drunken Chalks, I have to seal the card with a spray matte sealer, but what about just using them as a normal stamp pad? Does it have to be sealed then?

showmestamper 03-20-2005 10:16 AM

jm - thanks for posting the visual of the chalk difference...it really is hard to describe the different 'look and feel' that chalk inks give to a project.

stampinsweeney 03-20-2005 10:41 AM

Chalk inks has a very obvious texture difference mostly when applied direct-to-paper for a background effect. It also looks great for solid image stamps. The colors are brilliant and generally have a quick dry time as opposed to pigment inks and the watery quality of dye inks.

Check out the resources selection for wonderful chalk ink background techniques.

My gallery is also full of chalk ink backgrounds. Pretty much anything that is multi-colored. :)

Morissa

stampin8mom 03-20-2005 11:09 AM

I think the chalk inks are something you just gotta see in person. I finally ordered the chalk inks from SU and love them soooo much. I don't think I ever would have considered them if I hadn't heard all the talk and seen the great card samples here on SCS.

Now, I too, am a chalk-a holic! These inks are fantastic! Use them all the time. Wish we had all 48 colors in the chalk ink!

Kathy

leney 03-20-2005 11:16 AM

I too, have really enjoyed this thresd but I still want to know more!! I know that seeing them in person will make a difference. What else can you do with these wonderful new chalk inks?? I want to have as many uses for a stamp medium as possible! Please, do tell more!!???

ozzigirl 03-20-2005 11:26 AM

I love the soft, luminous color of chalk inks - I like to stipple or sponge them on as a background. They dry super fast and opaque, wonderful!

Sue

jdsgrl97 03-20-2005 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jm_donahoe
Ok, I stamped a comparison for those interested in seeing the difference:
The top is the SU! chalk inks in Olive and Violet and the bottom is the SU! classic inks in Old Olive and Eggplant Envy:

Thank you SO much for doing this - I can REALLY see the difference here! I appreciate all that have responded to this thread... right now I only have three cat's eyes, but I am seeing petal points in my future! :lol:

faithfulstamping 03-20-2005 06:51 PM

Chalk inks

I know I've used cats eyes before but must have not done enough with them to realize the difference. This weekend I had the opportunity to use the Color Box Fluid Chalk Inks (full pads) and I fell in love with them!! Here comes my next big purchase!

Furph's wife 03-20-2005 07:21 PM

Another great thing about the chalks is when you stamp collage style the lighter colors don't get lost or muddy looking. You can stamp overlapping and see the different colors.

inspiredbycreativity 03-20-2005 08:15 PM

For me I enjoy the chalk pads a lot. It allows to me stamp on many surfaces and it dries instantly. I love using it on shrink plastic, wood, etc.

I hope this helps!

jostamps 03-20-2005 08:40 PM

Chalk inks

I use chalk inks alot and have never sealed my stamp image and no problem with running or smudging. They are acid free as well. They give a softer matte/chalk finish than dye inks and dry quick too.

kyloescards 03-21-2005 04:24 AM

I had purchased a alabaster ie white pad a couple years ago and did not see what the fuss was about, then I picked up the multicolor set the other day and I love the stuff!!! I lust like the textured look it has....

Tah Dah! 03-21-2005 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prhansen
I asked this question on another thread, and no one answered, so I'm hoping one of you will. I know when I do the Drunken Chalks, I have to seal the card with a spray matte sealer, but what about just using them as a normal stamp pad? Does it have to be sealed then?

I haven't used a sealant anytime, and I've used mine a lot! HTH

nickelini 03-21-2005 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampysister
I'm not loving the fact that my chalk ink seems to "spread" on the page. So fine detail stamps seem to have less detail. Maybe I just got two bad cat eyes.

That's interesting . . . I started using chalk inks a few years ago when it was recommended to me to try them to solve my problem with getting a crisp image with my fine-detail stamps (the Toybox art reproduction stamps, etc.). I find that they work beautifully for fine detail.

I also love the intense, luminous colour of chalk inks.

And a further feature is that they show up on dark card stock (depends on your colour combination -- you have to experiment).

Sign me,

Chalk Woman

leney 03-21-2005 06:54 AM

Thank you all for posting such great ideas and ways to use the chalk inks. I have been researching the chalks so I could know more before I buy. Guess waht is going on my next order? Petal Point Chalk Inks!! I do love this sight!! You guys are great!!

jdsgrl97 03-21-2005 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leney
I have been researching the chalks so I could know more before I buy. Guess what is going on my next order? Petal Point Chalk Inks!! I do love this site!! You guys are great!!

Took the words right out of my mouth!! :lol:

laurelwright 03-21-2005 07:23 AM

I have never seen the chalk inks sold in cats eyes...only the regular pigment inks...are they available like that too or do you have just the regular pigment inks? I have the SU Chalk Inks.

mamakimberly 03-21-2005 07:27 AM

they are in cats eyes, full size pads and petal points. addictedtorubberstamps.com sells all of them, SU sells only the petal points

jdsgrl97 03-21-2005 08:08 AM

Are the SU petal points their own brand, or ColorBox?

nickelini 03-21-2005 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurelwright
I have never seen the chalk inks sold in cats eyes...only the regular pigment inks...are they available like that too or do you have just the regular pigment inks? I have the SU Chalk Inks.

The chalk ink that SU! sells are Colorbox brand. Colorbox sells them in regular pads, petal point, cat's eyes, and (I think) kaleidoscope. Their website is very helpful.

www.colorbox.com

sunnywl 05-03-2005 06:48 PM

I have a question... the soft pastels petal point chalk inkpad is what I have but I misplaced the labels of the names of colors to put on the bottom of the inkpads, so I won't be able to know the names of the colors if I wanted to buy a full size inkpad or a reinker. Can anyone tell me the name of the color that's soft brown? Not dark but it's more like tan brown. I find myself using that color frequently especially when making brown/pink or blue/brown cards. Thanks for any help! Would that be Dark Moss or is that green? Help...