Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Center of card embossing using Cuttlebug (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/center-card-embossing-using-cuttlebug-337739/)

momcats 04-03-2008 05:42 AM

Center of card embossing using Cuttlebug

Can anyone give advise on how to emboss the center of a card using a Cuttlebug?

I saw the prettiest card with the outside edges Cuttlebugged and one smaller Cuttlebug image in the center.

I've tried a couple times and get outside edges, even cut the fold of the embossing folder to line images up, but I haven't had good success.

Thanks!

Kiko 04-03-2008 06:28 AM

The center image might have been cut out and layered onto the card. I agree with you, I've seen some beautiful embossed cards in the last month or so. I particularly love Sharon Johnson's Cuttlebug cards shown on her blog here:

http://notimetostamp.blogs.splitcoas...ssed-projects/

momcats 04-03-2008 07:36 AM

Thanks Kiko for your prompt response.

I agree, alot of cards I've seen have had additional embossing added to the center of the card. That's a good way to accomplish the look.

I wish I could remember who's card I was looking at so others could view it and advise me. It was a wedding announcement I saw recently in the gallery, and I would swear the center embossing was done directly onto the center of the card. Very cool technique if it's possible.

Just love, SCS, so many terribly creative people out there. Love the inspirations I get!

Kiko 04-03-2008 07:43 AM

I don't know if this is the one you saw, but it's gorgeous!!! Wonderful job, Meng and Susie B!

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...ebug%20wedding

momcats 04-03-2008 07:45 AM

Yes, you're too smart, that's exactly the one I saw.

You know, when I look at it now, perhaps that whole center panel is added on, but if that's the case I still don't see how to emboss at the bottom of the panel.

What are your thoughts!

momcats 04-03-2008 08:48 AM

Kiko, you really are too smart. I'm notorious for not looking further than the end of my nose sometimes. Never even saw the description of how they accomplished this.

You are too good! Thank you!

Kiko 04-03-2008 09:41 AM

I don't have the heart folder, but this is my guess:

The heart is a smaller embossing folder that comes in a pack of four. Apparently it is hinged at the bottom and you just open it up and put your paper in it with the image centered.

Then she did each side separately as she describes in the write up. Good luck!

stampinspy 04-08-2008 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momcats (Post 9384883)
Yes, you're too smart, that's exactly the one I saw.

You know, when I look at it now, perhaps that whole center panel is added on, but if that's the case I still don't see how to emboss at the bottom of the panel.

What are your thoughts!

I still don't know how she did this. She says in the description that it is a single piece of cardstock.
Any ideas?

stampinspy 04-08-2008 07:31 AM

Would the heart be that high up if it was done from the bottom?

stamps&cars 04-08-2008 08:23 AM

She says right in her description how she did it.

momcats 04-08-2008 08:35 AM

to stampinspy:

I agree with you I don't think the heart would be up that high if she had embossed it from the bottom. The technique is still a mystery to me.

momcats 04-08-2008 08:37 AM

to stamps&cars

I understand her directions are at the bottom of the card, but it doesn't explain how she got the embossing basically in the middle of the sheet. If you can explain it better, would love to hear it!

barbcowan 04-08-2008 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiko (Post 9386362)
I don't have the heart folder, but this is my guess:

The heart is a smaller embossing folder that comes in a pack of four. Apparently it is hinged at the bottom and you just open it up and put your paper in it with the image centered.

Then she did each side separately as she describes in the write up. Good luck!

The heart IS a smaller die. It is hinged at the bottom (instead of at the top as the A2 sizes are) ... slip the cardstock in the folder, slide it down to the hinge & emboss away. If you have the smaller dies, it is MUCH easier to figure it out (since the small folders are bottom hinged and the A2 folders are top hinged)

barbcowan 04-08-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinspy (Post 9445095)
Would the heart be that high up if it was done from the bottom?

Yes, it is. There is a bit of extra space between the bottom of the image & the hinge of the folder

momcats 04-08-2008 08:55 AM

Thank you so much for explaining that. I appreciate your help!

barbcowan 04-08-2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momcats (Post 9445887)
to stampinspy:

I agree with you I don't think the heart would be up that high if she had embossed it from the bottom. The technique is still a mystery to me.

The heart would be that high. The folders are 2 inches wide by 2.75 inches long. The designs are towards the top. This picture is a very good reference of the layout of the dies (each color is a separate die)

barbcowan 04-08-2008 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momcats (Post 9446135)
Thank you so much for explaining that. I appreciate your help!

You are very welcome. I know how frustrating it can be!!!

stamps&cars 04-08-2008 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momcats (Post 9445913)
to stamps&cars

I understand her directions are at the bottom of the card, but it doesn't explain how she got the embossing basically in the middle of the sheet. If you can explain it better, would love to hear it!

Yup, it is just as barbcowen said.....the heart folder is hinged on the bottom and the bottom point of the heart is about 1 inch from the fold. Quite doable and easy!

stampinspy 04-10-2008 06:58 AM

Thanks everyone. I actually have that folder, but in the photo it looked like it was higher than the bottom of the die. That card is a beauty, and I can't wait to try something like this!

Thanks again!